Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 31/3/2008 9:08:36 PM   
Scruffybobby

Last Friday I wore a Top Gun t-shirt to work. This attracted a few comments mostly asking me if I felt "the need for speed" and so on, but there was one "that movie is so gay" comment. Turns out that particluar colleauge hasn't even seen the film so had no real business passing comment. I have lent him my copy so he can see it, and make his own decision.

It's certainly overblown, noisy and completey unrealistic - not to mention politically dubious. It  forms the template for pretty much anything that Michael Bay has done and as such should probably be confined to movie hell. Yet I do love this film. I actually watched it again over the weekend and downloaded most of the soundtrack in all of it's cheesy synth rock 80's glory.

It's just a quintesentailly 80's movie made in the hight of Reagnism and the consumerism and selfishness of that period.  It is despite that a technically brilliant and hugely entertaining film, which launched Tom Cruise, Anthony Edwards and (lest he forget) Tim Robbins on the world, and it's got Mr Strickland in it. The flying scenes are still fantastically edited and exciting, especially when viewing on the biggest screen you can find with the DTS turned right up. All of this was acheived without any sort of CGI as well, and is all the better for it - the model work is largely seamless ( there was a hell of a lot I didn't realise was faked till I I watched the making of) It certainly kicks the shit out of Stealth.

As for the "gay" thing I really don't think it is gay at all. All of this business can be traced back to Tarantino's appearance in "Sleep With Me" and his  pontifications that were seized upon by a fanbase that worshipped him (long time ago) and probably abhorred anything that Bruckheimer did. Whilst QT's breakdown of the film is funny and clever I think it only really holds up if you want it to, just as you can prove that any film is about anything if you really want to. His oft repeated "you can ride my tail anytime" example is a deliberate misquote of "you can be my wingman anytime". Evidence I reckon that he's just making it up as he goes

There is of course a lot of male flesh on display (and the fact that at lot of that imagery was based on the work of a gay photographer) and I do think that it's there for sex appeal, but that it's there for the ladies. Tony Scott pretty much says so in his commentary on the DVD. Just as Coyote Ugly is a chick flick that appeals to guys by having lots of hot women dancing around in skimpy tops and pouring water over each other., Top Gun has lots of guys with their shirts off to appeal to the girlfriends dragged to see it by guys with hardons for the hardware.

I'm waining to hear what why workmate thinks of it, I would hope that he enjoys it. Anyway I'm off to buzz the tower. Thoughts?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
Post #: 1
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 31/3/2008 10:14:24 PM   
rubadub

I couldn't be bothered to read your thread,too busy staring at your avatar.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 2
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 31/3/2008 10:27:15 PM   
VincentHanna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby
I'm waining to hear what why workmate thinks of it, I would hope that he enjoys it. Anyway I'm off to buzz the tower. Thoughts?

You can be my wingman any time.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

Post #: 3
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 31/3/2008 10:42:44 PM   
VincentHanna

Seriously, this is an excellent film. Maybe my memory of the film is slightly biased because I first saw it on video in about 1985/86 but it's an absolute classic. Gay? Not in my book.
You're right about it being a product of the 80s, but the story doesn't really matter because all we want to do is see the planes fly! It doesn't matter when they tell us on the DVD that there was no way that those planes would actually "dog fight" in the way it's portrayed in the film, the film is all about "the need.....the need for speed."
So what if the worst thing in the film is the relationship between Tom and Kelly McGillis? There is still support from actors like Michael Ironside and Tom Skerritt. And as an aside, I've just looked at Tom Skerritt on imdb and I've got to say, the guy's not looking bad for someone who's 75 this year.

And just because I've got the main theme as a ringtone on my mobile doesn't make me biased towards this film at all. AT ALL.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 4
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 1/4/2008 1:08:16 AM   
Lydia_H

Top Gun is great fun, it's totally gay but I don't have a problem with that 

Love the volleyball scene Kilmer was such a babe ...

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

Post #: 5
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 1/4/2008 12:45:37 PM   
ElephantBoy

Boy I didn't see that sort of reponse coming from you Lydia.
I like Top Gun overall, it's not totally gay, more of a buddy film.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 6
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 1/4/2008 1:11:08 PM   
Kazuya

Yeah it's still a fun film I think, zero depth but it's nicely shot and entertaining, as someone already pointed out, all one really looks for in these types of films is exciting sequences with the fighter aircraft. And it most certainly delivers that. Slick direction from Tony Scott.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 7
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 1/4/2008 1:54:12 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I never saw it as an overtly gay movie until people started going on about it - I've always thought it was just a cool, highly entertaining bit of fun and as someone mentioned it's more buddies being together.

Then again if do you want to see it from that angle you have the ingredients to back your point of view, so as in life - to each their own!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 8
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 1/4/2008 3:01:36 PM   
Scruffybobby

Yeah I was never aware of any kind of overt or subtextual gay element until that Tarantino thing, after that though all I ever seemed to hear was how fruity it was. You can easily read that into it if you want though

Anyway my colleague reckoned it was rubbish and not in good way either, he didn't think it was gay though - aprt from the volleyball bit. Another colleauges going to lend him Days of Thunder. Now that really is rubbish..

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 9
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 1/4/2008 6:42:53 PM   
UTB

Practically every 80s action film that shows more than bloke's pecs gets called homoerotic these days.

Hell, even Empire's Rocky 4 review mentions homoeroticism, simply for showing lots of sweaty male flesh (duh, its a fucking boxing film).

is it gay? No. It's a product of it's time.

Besides, if we're going to stick a sexual tag on it then it should be bisexual, since Maverick spends half the film trying to fuck his female teacher.

< Message edited by UTB -- 1/4/2008 6:46:06 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 1/4/2008 6:52:03 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: VincentHanna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

You can be my wingman any time.

Bullshit. You can be mine.

Post #: 11
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 2/4/2008 2:20:08 AM   
Lydia_H

I always thought it was totally gay, I don't know what this Tarantino thing is ... but I'm not saying it's a bad thing I always make fun of my fiance because he loved Top Gun (Even though he was like 19 when it came out) and wanted to become a fighter pilot, but now he gets so embarrassed when he talks about it I think it's adorable. Apparently when he went into the military they told him he could be a pilot but he chose to join the marines instead. I think secretly he regrets that now!

But like I said, Top Gun is great fun ... Great sountrack, good action, Val Kilmer ...

< Message edited by Lydia_H -- 2/4/2008 2:21:24 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 2/4/2008 7:44:10 AM   
Dantes Inferno

I saw Top Gun on TV and actually enjoyed it, something I didn't think I'd do. It was better than I remember. Still, Tarantino's speech is funny.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 13
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 2/4/2008 1:34:42 PM   
ElephantBoy

Who does Tim Robbins play?

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 14
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 2/4/2008 2:04:16 PM   
gene bradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Who does Tim Robbins play?
Yeah, i can't remember Tim Robbins in Top Gun.

"I don't use any particular method. I'm from
the lets pretend school of acting."
Harrison Ford

"Children may well enjoy its simple-mindedness,
untroubled by the fact that it looks so shoddy
and so uninventive."

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 15
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 2/4/2008 2:11:29 PM   
Lydia_H

He played that pilot in the beginning, Wizard or something, who can't hack it and has to be talked into his landing by Maverick (I can't remember if he dies or not)

(in reply to gene bradley)
Post #: 16
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 2/4/2008 2:17:11 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I don't think anyone dies apart from Goose and the Commies - I completely forgot Robbins was in it.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 17
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 2/4/2008 3:00:55 PM   
Scruffybobby

Tim Robbins plays Merlin who is Cougar's Radio Interceptions Officer (R.I.O.), Cougar being the pilot that Maverick has to aid back to the ship. He doesn't die and later serves as Mavs RIO in the final battle.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 18
RE: Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? - 3/4/2008 12:23:40 PM   
DazDaMan

Top Gun's a GREAT film!  How DARE anyone diss it!  Especially if they've not even seen it!  The fools.

I quite fancy watching it tonight, actually....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 19
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 10:15:06 AM   
Timon

"You were in a 4G inverted dive with a MiG28?"

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 20
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 2:41:19 PM   
grucl

What's your problem, Kazanski?
You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.
That's right, Ice... man. I am dangerous.

Shakespeare would be proud...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:15:57 PM   
Riddick_J

JESTERS DEAD!!!

God damn i love this movie

I'm not saying i don't trust you and I'm not saying i do, but i don't.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 22
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:16:49 PM   
Timon

"Hollywood, you're looking great. I want Viper..............."

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Riddick_J)
Post #: 23
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:17:57 PM   
Riddick_J

'stand by, Vipers coming down'

ill stop now.

< Message edited by Riddick_J -- 6/4/2009 4:18:35 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:25:28 PM   
Timon

"Let's turn and burn, Mav."

(in reply to Riddick_J)
Post #: 25
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:27:16 PM   
Skiba

It's only the volleyball scene that comes across gay as has been pointed out...the song playing whey they're playing has a lyric along the lines "hanging with the boys..." and with them muscular oiled bodies then conclusions are easily drawn

It's more a cock-waving exercise for the American military saying if you commies try anything we'll fuck you up big time

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Riddick_J)
Post #: 26
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:30:45 PM   
Timon

Really? Are you sure the line, "He's going vertical, so am I..." has no other connetations?

And that's how I play volleyball......oiled and ready for action.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 27
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:46:16 PM   
Riddick_J

hollywood and wolfman have some gay moments.

hollywood : 'This gives me a hard'arn'

Wolfman : 'Dont tease me'

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:48:22 PM   
Timon

"I'm moving in slow motion
Feels so good
It's a strange anticipation
Knock, knock, knocking on wood
Bodies working overtime
Man against man
And all that ever matters
Is baby who's ahead in the game
Funny but it's always the same"

(in reply to Riddick_J)
Post #: 29
RE: Top Gun - 6/4/2009 4:50:50 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riddick_J

hollywood and wolfman have some gay moments.

hollywood : 'This gives me a hard'arn'

Wolfman : 'Dont tease me'

That needs to be in context though...aren't they talking about tactical manouveres there?  Again it's all about how macho they are and how they get turned on by expressing military might

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Riddick_J)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Top Gun - Sure it's dumb as hell but is it gay? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI