Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Son Of Rambow

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Son Of Rambow Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Son Of Rambow - 31/3/2008 8:29:31 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Sweet. - 31/3/2008 8:29:31 AM   
Lupin 3

Perfectly captured, for me, the joy of watching a great (or terrible) movie when you are a bright eyed sprite and being able to think of nothing else until the next masterpiece (or not) came along.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Man, I never laughed like that. - 31/3/2008 9:57:38 PM   
nc_jj

The funniest film ever since Hot Fuzz. Goddamn it, it's funny!
Highly recommended.

Post #: 3
RE: Son of Rambow Review - 3/4/2008 7:02:01 PM   
Scabby

Loved the film, read my review here if you like!: http://www.hecklerspray.com/movie-review-son-of-rambow/200813345.php#more-13345

< Message edited by Scabby -- 3/4/2008 7:03:11 PM >

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to nc_jj)
Post #: 4
RE: Son of Rambow Review - 4/4/2008 2:13:59 PM   
skeletonjack

This is a likeable gentle comedy that brought back memories of watching First Blood when I was little. I was glad to see "Space Dust" shown as well as none of my mates can remember it!
It's not the great film some will have you believe as it's never quite as funny as it should be, but it's a pleasing enough way to waste a couple of hours. 3 stars

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 5
RE: Son of Rambow Review - 4/4/2008 10:46:12 PM   
Starscream

Wonderful, Touching and Funny. The two main stars were very good and the film brought back a lot of memories from my childhood.

8/10

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 6
RE: Son of Rambow Review - 5/4/2008 1:37:26 AM   
duncanbell

The two best child performances I can remember, perfectly captures what it felt like to be a child after seeing an action film. Funny too.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 7
Amazing - 5/4/2008 5:33:41 PM   
Ethanial

Hilarious often and thouroughly, sweet through and through, touching more than you'd think and genuinely warm hearted, none of that Hollywood sap, possibly one of the best films of the year thus far, top 10 most certainly.

Post #: 8
I wouldn't say it was the best film since hot fuzz - 5/4/2008 11:11:12 PM   
harry5006

Yes it was a good film, but i dont think it was the best film since hot fuzz. For me it lacked humour, it had its amusing parts. Most people found the fact the the kid swore alot funny!!! A good film to go see but maybe just to rent out on dvd and not buy until its cheap!!

Post #: 9
gentle comedy - 7/4/2008 10:15:33 AM   
bretty

Great performances from the two young leads and captured the era very well. This was not a laugh out loud comedy but was a great reminder of that age when life was just a great adventure.

Post #: 10
RE: Son of Rambow - 7/4/2008 11:18:52 AM   
Timon

I thought it was a fantasically, nostalgic film. Especially seeing half the old school brands in the supermarket.

Young Will Poulet who was Lee Carter was rather fantastic and surprised me by actually being a decent child actor.

The script was witty and touching and personally there's nothing funnier than seeing a young kid getting smacked on the head by a dead bird.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 11
Son Of Rambow - 7/4/2008 1:57:57 PM   
moviemaniac2

Son Of Rambow is an amiable coming-of-age comedy that will appeal to men of a certain age (if you were twelve circa 1983, you're in for a treat).

Using Sly's action movie as a jump-off point, the two boys team up to shoot their own version . Son Of Rambow is a comedy that will appeal to both adults and kids . there is even he odd animation sequence and Jackass stunt, and one of the most loveable kid characters in recent movie history . It would have bee even better to streamline his ideas into one story instead of branching out into some needless subplots (the French student gets too much screen time).

Post #: 12
RE: Son Of Rambow - 7/4/2008 4:10:33 PM   
duncanbell

SPOILER WARNING :)

anyone else think they 'hollywooded' out a little at the end by having his film shown at the cinema and everyone loving it? i thought up til then it was fairly realistic and charming, ending kinda felt a bit fake.

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 13
son of rambow - 7/4/2008 5:13:01 PM   
andrew peat

brilliant film from beginning to end. the young leads were superb.captured the 80,s i remember from my own childhood well. brought back some wonderful memories.took my 2 sons who enjoyed as well as i did.

Post #: 14
RE: son of rambow - 8/4/2008 5:53:35 PM   
Diggler

Fantastic film with a wonderfully uplifting ending. Being a (John) Rambo fan I was a bit miffed when I read the Empire review saying 'If you only see one Rambo movie this year make sure it's this one' but after seeing them both, I have to agree.

Highly recommended.

4/5 

< Message edited by Diggler -- 8/4/2008 7:37:05 PM >

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to andrew peat)
Post #: 15
RE: son of rambow - 9/4/2008 9:32:46 AM   
captain jack harknes

Absolutely loved it - was in stitches in places; it was such a sweet and funny film.  Wouldn't have watched it if I hadn't had my unlimited card as it didn't really appeal but I'm so glad I did as it's the best film I've seen in ages!!

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 16
RE: son of rambow - 9/4/2008 11:35:36 AM   
Diggler

Agree with you Captain Jack. I also saw this courtesy of my unlimited card and I'm so glad I did. Having said that, I also saw the terrible Hottie and the Nottie (there was nothing else starting) and the only slightly better Never Back Down.  As I'm going to see The Orphanage I'll get my monies worth with my card this month.

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to captain jack harknes)
Post #: 17
Good but patchy - 11/4/2008 4:35:22 PM   
babylion

I ended up liking this film a lot, although I found the initial 40 minutes or so to be a real disappointment - the script was clumsy, the characters one-dimensional. But when they begin making their film, the narrative really takes off. There are gemlike moments, but overall the film is terribly patchy. The 6th-form common room was completely ridiculous, and jarring - sixthformers have never partied like that, and it featured a poorly-selected soundtrack (more like a 'best of the 80s & early 90s' rather than tracks from a specific year), and let's face it - sixthformers have never had common rooms so enormous and beautiful, nor do they look like nightclubs! Still, it's well worth seeing, and the two lead actors are very likeable indeed, rising far above the dodgy script.

Post #: 18
- 12/4/2008 10:01:35 AM   
cluesy

I loved this film, it reminded me of when I was little so much. I was in good shape when I saw it either so that just shows how the quality of the film seeps through. Personally, John McClane was my hero but I liked old Sly and this film was funny, sweet and nostalgic =)

Post #: 19
Mansize kleenex movie - 15/4/2008 12:21:27 AM   
Duckers

Man, I just saw Son of Rambow, took my g/f and my two 70something parents - and we ALL loved it. It was so captivating watching the (very natural) two friends making their Rambo homage - it reminded me of playing wargames in the woods when I was an 80s kid myself. And there is a pleasantly and satisfyingly subversive message about how watching pirate copies of violent action movies is possibly better for kids than organised religion. So much of this resonated with me that by the end I was reduced to a sobbing wreck. This will appeal to everyone's inner child and remind them of the kind of long childhood days of freedom and arsing about that I guess a lot of kids don't get to experience these days. Absolutely enchanting.

Post #: 20
First blood to Son of Rambow - 16/4/2008 7:22:00 PM   
t_bell

Just saw the film today and i couldn't praise it highly enough. I thought the 'hollywood' ending only added to the charming qualities that the film captured. However, what surprised me most of all was how refreshingly funny 'Son Of Rambow' was and how I fell apart at the end.

Post #: 21
RE: Son Of Rambow - 20/4/2008 10:34:28 AM   
Queen Sue

Absolutely brilliant, I loved it! This is the best film I've seen in ages, it's funny and sweet and real and has restored my faith in cinema!

I'm the Sheriff of Stationery Village

Post #: 22
- 20/4/2008 6:30:04 PM   
shawshank prisoner

seems to overstay it's initially warm welcome. But it's certainly heart-warming and witty enough to keep your attention throughout. great soundtrack too...

Post #: 23
- 20/4/2008 6:30:06 PM   
shawshank prisoner

seems to overstay it's initially warm welcome. But it's certainly heart-warming and witty enough to keep your attention throughout. great soundtrack too...

Post #: 24
Skills on toast - 23/4/2008 6:24:40 PM   
dahlia79

No need to say more really -check it out :) My favourite film of the year so far

Post #: 25
RE: Skills on toast - 24/4/2008 2:10:24 PM   
curve

What a fantastic cinematic treat. My favourite film of the year too and now one of my favourites of all time. Really nostalgic. I could see myself at that school. Strong acting from the young cast. Not had such a whopping great time at the movies for ages.

There is no tomorrow...

(in reply to dahlia79)
Post #: 26
RE: Skills on toast - 25/4/2008 2:42:29 PM   
Cruisecontroller

"Son of Rambow" is basically about a lonely and fustrated boy (I`m sorry I can`t remember the characters names) who is growing up in the UK in the Eighties within a strict religous community who shun modern society and culture like tv and movies. He spends all his spare time when hes not in church and school drawing and escaping into an imaginary world. However this all starts to change when he befriends one of his school years bullies who deep down is actually quite lovable and quite caring just badly behaved and neglected due to his parents being too busy at an old peoples home they run and a bully for a brother too. That boy loves Rambo movies and wants to make one with the help of the other boy for a BBC Screen Test competition. Eventually most of the kids at there school (including one very pretentous French exchange student) attempt it with them with near disastrous consequences. Not surprisingly when the boy from the religous families mum finds out along with her church the sort of company he`s keeping there not impressed.

You could say its Billy Elliott with a video camera not ballet shoes the films do have some similarities but its an orgional enough idea to make it a refreshing change from most films aimned at kids or overgrown ones like me. Its not perfect as far as authenticity is concerned theres no way a student common room would have been that lively and club like in the Eighties or probably now. It is wonderful and touching though. "Son of Rambow" is also nostalgic for anyone who was a kid or teenager like me in the Eighties. If nothing else you see the great Eric Sykes like you`ve never seen him before. It has Cult Classic written all over it and mark my words will be a favourite among moviewatchers and makers and not just me for years to come. There will be awards.  4/5

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to curve)
Post #: 27
Heartwarming - 3/5/2008 8:46:21 PM   
gracekelly

The best film I've seen all year (and I've seen loads) and the only one that I've actually made the effort to post a review. Heartwarming describes not only the film but the fact that British films can still be made as good as this. A sort of cross between Kes, War of the buttons and anything put out by The childrens film foundation without actually being a childrens film. The references to the sometimes forgotten post punk early 80's are spot on but at the end of the day its the acting from the main caracter - William that makes this film. One not to be missed

Post #: 28
- 12/5/2008 10:05:44 PM   
brokenking

This is brillant, it reminds me of all those British kids films I saw as a child. This ones where kids find a mystical object or have secret camp on an island in a lake. In fairness they were pants but that didn't stop them having real character. This film is what all those films tried to be, but grounds the subject in a real world.

Plus it reminded me how cool I thought bandanas were, and how much I wanted to be a soldier and kill bad guys (I never jpoined the Army, though). This could be the first time I've seen children's film that has a real nostalgic feel for the male parents accompanying their sprogs.

Post #: 29
Son of Rambow - 29/11/2008 2:55:41 PM   
lynnshep

Charming, sweet, fun, and funny.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Son Of Rambow Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI