Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Pratchett book

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Pratchett book - 31/3/2011 1:59:23 PM   
ncc74656

For me its Wyrd Sisters Nanny Ogg is so funny

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 241
RE: Best Pratchett book - 3/6/2011 1:57:40 PM   
Chief

Just found out by accident (scanning Amazon for a new book) that there's a new Pratchett book coming out soon called Snuff.
Looking forward to it, Sam Vimes is one of my favourite characters.

(in reply to ncc74656)
Post #: 242
RE: Best Pratchett book - 12/7/2011 1:32:18 PM   
sharkboy

Bit of unashamed pimping here, but for any Pratchett fans that also enjoy board games, there is a new game coming soon based on the inhabitants of Ankh-Morpork called Guards! Guards!  It has been created by a couple of friends of mine and has been a 20 year labour of love getting it to this stage now.  After several rejections from his agency, they finally managed to doorstep Sir Terry himself at a book signing with an early prototype.  The author was very impressed and encouraged them to get in touch again, and the rest has been a long-drawn-out journey to get to production.  With artwork from Stephen Player himself, the game has been getting rave reviews from both Pratchett fans and board-game afficionados alike.  More info can be found here

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 243
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/7/2011 5:09:52 PM   
dolfinack

Mort is pretty hard to beat. I think Interesting Times is up there as possibly the best in the Discworld books. I just can't get past Rincewind. He's brilliant!

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 244
RE: Best Pratchett book - 13/8/2011 2:55:33 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Just found out by accident (scanning Amazon for a new book) that there's a new Pratchett book coming out soon called Snuff.
Looking forward to it, Sam Vimes is one of my favourite characters.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 245
RE: Best Pratchett book - 31/10/2011 11:19:03 AM   
sharkboy

I finished Snuff at the weekend and I reckon I may now have a new favourite Discworld novel.  It's basically Vimes doing what Vimes does best, all set to a morality tale and social commentary that Dickens would have been proud of.  Highly recommended!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 246
RE: Best Pratchett book - 31/10/2011 11:38:11 AM   
elab49

I enjoyed Snuff, but it felt a lot like a 'best of' of previous Vimes speeches, story threads and speeches and Wilikins repeating a lot of what we already know Wilikins said and did. But it was still fun and was a lot less choppy than the last one as well.

I also forgave it the completely ill-fitting speech it gave Vetinari on drugs in the first few pages, though - that was a bit of a clunker.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 247
RE: Best Pratchett book - 31/10/2011 11:55:07 AM   
Chief

I wasn't sold on it, it was alright.

It did sledgehammer a few points (racism, classism, Willikins used to fight in the streets) but the story was good enough.

< Message edited by Chief -- 31/10/2011 11:56:31 AM >

(in reply to ncc74656)
Post #: 248
RE: Best Pratchett book - 2/11/2011 3:26:34 PM   
blackduck

Good to see TP back on form. Last few books had thier moments but didn't hold together as an overall story. True there is nothing new here, but spending a bit more time with Vimes is never a bad thing.  

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 249
RE: Best Pratchett book - 4/11/2011 10:09:36 AM   
Chief

Neil Gaiman interview with Terry: http://boingboing.net/2011/10/10/an-interview-with-sir-terry-pratchett-on-his-new-novel-snuff.html

(in reply to ncc74656)
Post #: 250
RE: Best Pratchett book - 5/12/2011 9:24:31 PM   
elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017h2mq/Terry_Pratchetts_Night_Watch_Episode_4/

I can't for the life of me remember where we were talking about audiobooks, but this is something to try. It's an adaptation of Night Watch with Philip Jackson playing Vimes really quite well. First part is up till tomorrow I think - all 5 parts currently live.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 251
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/12/2011 5:47:15 AM   
steflon

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Bit of unashamed pimping here, but for any Pratchett fans that also enjoy board games, there is a new game coming soon based on the inhabitants of Ankh-Morpork called Guards! Guards!  It has been created by a couple of friends of mine and has been a 20 year labour of love getting it to this stage now.  After several rejections from his agency, they finally managed to doorstep Sir Terry himself at a book signing with an early prototype.  The author was very impressed and encouraged them to get in touch again, and the rest has been a long-drawn-out journey to get to production.  With artwork from Stephen Player himself, the game has been getting rave reviews from both Pratchett fans and board-game afficionados alike.  More info can be found here

that looks awesome, shame none of my mates are fanboys of pratchett or that interested in rpg'ing!

favourite book tho hmmmmm
does kinda depend on my mood, sometimes i want Rincewinds adventure or Weatherwax's magic, sometimes i want the politics so i head to the streets of AM with the nightwatch, but i think i'll have to say Colour of Magic purely because when i was about 13 my brother lent it to me and got me hooked!

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 252
RE: Best Pratchett book - 28/3/2012 3:42:46 PM   
talpacino

Started Thud! last night. I've not heard great things about it but I'm enjoying it so far. I got Snuff for Christmas as well so I'll be straight onto that after. Been away from Pratchett for a while and it's good to be back.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 253
RE: Best Pratchett book - 28/3/2012 6:32:30 PM   
gingerdaniel

Just spotted this thread, i've probably only read a handful of the books, i have a few, i like Reaper Man the best i think. Is it required to read them in order? The blurbs of some don't seem as appealing as others.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 254
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/3/2012 8:49:45 AM   
sharkboy

It's not really necessary to read them in their overall order, but you're best to read the character books in the order they were written (apologies for the size of the pic, in work so can't reduce it!).  It's not quite complete as I Shall Wear Midnight should follow from Wintersmith and Snuff needs to go at the end of the Guards tree.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 29/3/2012 9:52:04 AM >

WWLD?

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 255
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/3/2012 8:57:04 AM   
sharkboy

Actually, having looked at that suggested order has reminded me of something I spotted on Facebook - there is a live action fan movie of Troll Bridge in production. For those of you who haven't read it yet, it features fan-favourite Cohen The Barbarian reminiscing with a troll about the good old days of adventuring.  Production stills look quite promising.

WWLD?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 256
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/3/2012 9:33:00 AM   
talpacino

I've not heard of Where's my cow? or Theatre of cruelty. Must get on that.

Have you read any of the Watch books Ginger Dan? Guards! Guards! is the first Pratchett book I read many a moon ago and it's great. The watch series are easily my favourite.

Currahee!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 257
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/3/2012 9:49:53 AM   
sharkboy

Where's My Cow was a recreation of the book that Vimes was reading to his son in Thud.  It's basically a kid's pre-school picture book, so I'm not sure how much enjoyment you'll get out of it!   I'm sure I've got an electronic version of Theatre of Cruelty on one of my hard drives if you're interested 

WWLD?

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 258
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/3/2012 4:08:26 PM   
Invader_Ace

Guards Guards and Men At Arms are the best.

Then Reaper Man.

Then the rest.
Then anything with The Witches in; Last.

Looking back through the thread, I see I am repeating myself!

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 29/3/2012 4:10:00 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 259
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/3/2012 4:55:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

Where's My Cow was a recreation of the book that Vimes was reading to his son in Thud.  It's basically a kid's pre-school picture book, so I'm not sure how much enjoyment you'll get out of it!   I'm sure I've got an electronic version of Theatre of Cruelty on one of my hard drives if you're interested 

Where's My Cow is great. I've got the HB

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 260
RE: Best Pratchett book - 30/3/2012 10:47:09 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Me too! Gave all my Discworld books away but kept that. I've not read any of those short stories listed there, were they on general release?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 261
RE: Best Pratchett book - 30/3/2012 11:14:06 AM   
talpacino

quote:

Cheers, I'll probably pick it up though. I like to have whole collections and not give away my stuff for free.

Currahee!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 262
RE: Best Pratchett book - 30/3/2012 11:18:13 AM   
talpacino

quote:

quote:

quote:

Me too! Gave all my Discworld books away but kept that. I've not read any of those short stories listed there, were they on general release?

I remember you talking about this. I don't know how you do it. Even it is just a space thing I'd have to find somewhere for them, packed in a box in the attic at least until I have somewhere bigger.

Currahee!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 263
RE: Best Pratchett book - 30/3/2012 11:37:51 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Most of the short stories were featured in various anthologies and have been collected in a book called Once More* With Footnotes which features not only the aforementioned tales but papers and essays from Pratchett and others on aspects of the Discworld.  Failing this, you can normally find them easy enough online too.  Check out www.lspace.org/books for a couple of them, including Theatre of Cruelty

WWLD?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 264
RE: Best Pratchett book - 30/3/2012 1:29:04 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

quote:

quote:

I remember you talking about this. I don't know how you do it. Even it is just a space thing I'd have to find somewhere for them, packed in a box in the attic at least until I have somewhere bigger.

It was easy, I got a Kindle and had no need for them anymore. I started selling a couple on Ebay then Bishop Quaker said he was getting a hard time from people at his charity for keeping a tenner he found and planning on spending it on a Pratchett book, I told him I'd send him the books for free, he could stick the tenner in the charity tin and then throw the books into a charity chop once he was done. So it was win/win/win/win.

It's called doing a good deed, seriously, stop being so selfish.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 265
RE: Best Pratchett book - 30/3/2012 1:32:08 PM   
Chief

quote:

Most of the short stories were featured in various anthologies and have been collected in a book called Once More* With Footnotes which features not only the aforementioned tales but papers and essays from Pratchett and others on aspects of the Discworld.  Failing this, you can normally find them easy enough online too.  Check out www.lspace.org/books for a couple of them, including Theatre of Cruelty

I'll need to have a wee squint at those, I feel like I'm missing out.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 266
RE: Best Pratchett book - 13/4/2012 10:32:53 PM   
gingerdaniel

I recently did Moving Pictures, which was alright. I have The Truth left unread on my shelf.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 267
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/4/2012 9:33:14 PM   
Adamski5000

I actually really enjoyed Unseen Academicals, maybe because it was the first time I'd read a Discworld novel in a few years, it just felt really... fresh yet familiar (if that's not too much of an oxymoron). Really liked Mr. Nutt as a character. Incidentally, does anyone know if there's a Discworld novel in which Lord Vetinari features in a larger role? Of the 7-8 books I've read, he only ever seems to feature in the occasional scene (a bit like Death in a lot of the books), but he's one of my favourite characters.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 268
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/5/2012 9:50:28 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adamski5000

I actually really enjoyed Unseen Academicals, maybe because it was the first time I'd read a Discworld novel in a few years, it just felt really... fresh yet familiar (if that's not too much of an oxymoron). Really liked Mr. Nutt as a character. Incidentally, does anyone know if there's a Discworld novel in which Lord Vetinari features in a larger role? Of the 7-8 books I've read, he only ever seems to feature in the occasional scene (a bit like Death in a lot of the books), but he's one of my favourite characters.

Vetinari is always a more behind the scenes character, but still one of my favourites. To get a good bit of backstory on him I'd say read Night Watch but before that you'd be better off reading the other books featuring the City Watch (Guards, Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay and maybe Jingo).

(in reply to Adamski5000)
Post #: 269
RE: Best Pratchett book - 17/9/2012 11:25:58 AM   
AxlReznor

I've just started Making Money, which is the last book in the main series that I haven't yet read. Two pages in and I'm already wondering if Terry is psychic, because it came out a year before the credit crunch and reads like a book that was written a year after.
Usually, I agree with Neil Gaiman, that you've got to wait for inspiration before writing a new book, and releasing one or two every year isn't conducive to good storytelling... but Terry Pratchett is one major exception to that rule. Out of 39 Discworld novels, there isn't a single bad one. There are a couple that weren't as good as the others (like Eric), but in general they are all brilliant. I especially like the books that have been written since the year 2000, because they tend to be a lot darker, but still with the trademark humour. My favourite books I think are Night Watch, Thud! and I Shall Wear Midnight. I Shall Wear Midnight is so dark that it's hard to believe that it was written as a children's book. There's some fucked up shit in there, but it brought Tiffany Aching's story to an incredibly satisfying conclusion.
After this, I'll read Dodger (the new non-Discworld novel that was just released last week), and then I'll have to wait patiently for the next one... I genuinely dread the day when there are no more Terry Pratchett novels to look forward to.
Apparently there's a Science Of Discworld IV in the works, by the way.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI