Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Pratchett book

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Pratchett book - 8/12/2010 2:06:18 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Not a fan of the Witches though.

Granny Weatherwax is fantastic, definitely not to be messed with. I think I've said before but Witches Abroad & Carpe Jugulum are great books and showcase how much of a bad ass she is. Takes on all-comers and wins with her knack for 'headology'.

Easily one of my favourite characters, up there with (and maybe quite similar to) Sam Vimes.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 211
RE: Best Pratchett book - 8/12/2010 3:28:56 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Just finished I Shall Wear Midnight. Thought it was really good. Wouldn't say it was a children's book at all.

ISWM struck me as Pratchett's attempt to move Tiffany out of the "discworld for kids" series of books and establish her as a more mainstream character.  It certainly had some pretty grown-up themes in it, and I look forward to reading more of her in future books. 

I've now acquired all the Pratchett books for my Kindle, and am slowly but surely re-reading the lot, some of which I've hardly revisited since they were published.  It's great to see the evolution of the characters and the Discworld as I progress through the books in the order of publication.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 212
RE: Best Pratchett book - 8/12/2010 5:31:21 PM   
elab49

I found the initial (off the top of my head I think it was!) introduction to the witches proper quite slow going - but when it got to them attending the play I was just falling about. Hilarious stuff.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 213
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/12/2010 9:58:56 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Just finished I Shall Wear Midnight. Thought it was really good. Wouldn't say it was a children's book at all.

ISWM struck me as Pratchett's attempt to move Tiffany out of the "discworld for kids" series of books and establish her as a more mainstream character.  It certainly had some pretty grown-up themes in it, and I look forward to reading more of her in future books. 

I've now acquired all the Pratchett books for my Kindle, and am slowly but surely re-reading the lot, some of which I've hardly revisited since they were published.  It's great to see the evolution of the characters and the Discworld as I progress through the books in the order of publication.

I'm constantly re-visiting the older books but I just can't bring myself to re-read The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic. Just a bit too fantastical for me.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 214
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/12/2010 1:32:37 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

I think TCOM and TLF stand out as Prachett finding his feet. Personally I don't think they are anywhere the level of the other books.

Any idea when the next TV adaptation is due?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 215
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/12/2010 2:08:14 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure if they announced what will be adapted - although I'd hope it'd be Making Money (I think Going Postal is the only really successful one).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 216
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/12/2010 2:19:12 PM   
sharkboy

Making Money seems the obvious choice after Going Postal, but I'd quite like to see the witches make an appearance on the gogglebox soon

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 217
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/12/2010 2:39:27 PM   
elab49

Eileen Atkins has to be Granny Weatherwax, yes?

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 218
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/12/2010 3:01:30 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm not sure if they announced what will be adapted - although I'd hope it'd be Making Money (I think Going Postal is the only really successful one).

Maybe because it was the only decent adaptation. and one that wasn't centred around David Jason's ego.
Sure it had a few oddities/script changes, Angua would never change in a crowded pub for instance but it kept the spirit and humour of the book.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 9/12/2010 3:06:10 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 219
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/12/2010 3:11:13 PM   
elab49

I think so. Someone suggested on the Small Screen thread that it also helped that it removed a lot of the more fantasy parts, and I think that might be right. I've thoroughly enjoyed rewatching the adaptation as well. I can't even bear to think about sitting through Colour of Magic again.

quote:

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 220
RE: Best Pratchett book - 13/12/2010 11:27:27 AM   
Chief

quote:

What about a French & Saunders as Ogg & Weatherwax combo?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 221
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/12/2010 2:32:54 PM   
Wedge

quote:

quote:

What about a French & Saunders as Ogg & Weatherwax combo?

I've often thought Eileen Atkins make a perfect Granny. Likewise with Dawn French as Nanny. Saunders, no.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 222
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/12/2010 2:54:25 PM   
elab49

Heck no - Saunders just wouldn't fit.

Not sure about French either - there's an edge to Nanny and I'm not convinced, even with Murder Most and Psychoville, that French could handle it. She defaults to too cosy.

quote:

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 223
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/12/2010 3:32:28 PM   
Wedge

quote:

Heck no - Saunders just wouldn't fit.

Not sure about French either - there's an edge to Nanny and I'm not convinced, even with Murder Most and Psychoville, that French could handle it. She defaults to too cosy.

Yes, I know what you mean. Patsy Byrne could be good, although she may be retired. I wasn't convinced at first by Miriam Margolyes but she's become a closer and closer fit as she's got older.

< Message edited by Wedge -- 14/12/2010 3:33:07 PM >

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 224
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 10:34:56 AM   
Chief

I've decided to stick my Pratchett books on Ebay today. Maybe 10 hardbacks and the rest paperbacks. Might buy a Kindle with the proceeds.

< Message edited by Chief -- 14/1/2011 10:35:09 AM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 225
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 11:16:15 AM   
talpacino

quote:

I've decided to stick my Pratchett books on Ebay today. Maybe 10 hardbacks and the rest paperbacks. Might buy a Kindle with the proceeds.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 226
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 12:02:52 PM   
Chief

I know, I know. Took a bit of soul searching but fuck it, they're taking up precious space under the spare bed.

In fact, they're the Josh Kirby covers you're after - get your purse out and I'll do you a deal.

< Message edited by Chief -- 14/1/2011 12:04:28 PM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 227
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 12:10:01 PM   
elab49

Tut - no selling on the Board

Good luck with Ebay - it's not somewhere you get a lot for books in my experience. But if you've got the old first run hardbacks, particularly the early editions, you might be lucky. And be able to fund your devil's device

quote:

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 228
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 12:35:00 PM   
Chief

To be honest, I'm not looking for a lot. Just having a clear out and being pretty ruthless about it.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 229
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 1:05:21 PM   
elab49

I've been doing the same with DVDs but books I've pretty much given up on. But I have used the site for those older Pratchett hardbacks - I was a poor student buying paperbacks at first and recently I've been trying to replace them all with the old hardbacks.

quote:

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 230
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 1:34:11 PM   
Chief

Just punted all my DVDs a couple of weeks ago!

That's the paperbacks on (31 of). Not sure about the hardbacks, I think sending them will be quite expensive.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 231
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/1/2011 1:58:26 PM   
talpacino

quote:

I know, I know. Took a bit of soul searching but fuck it, they're taking up precious space under the spare bed.

In fact, they're the Josh Kirby covers you're after - get your purse out and I'll do you a deal.

Hah, cheers but I actually found them all recently and filled in the gaps in my collection.
I'll never sell them on ebay to make a quick buck to pay for the Devil's Device, even though they are pretty great.

Currahee!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 232
RE: Best Pratchett book - 19/1/2011 11:32:18 PM   
BishopQuaker

Not sure if this is the right place but it seems to be the best place to post it.

I have heard on the grapevine, although I'm awaiting confirmation, that the next Discworld film will be Unseen Academicals!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 233
RE: Best Pratchett book - 19/1/2011 11:36:52 PM   
elab49

That's odd. I'd have though (hoped!) Making Money was the obvious way to go. I found Academicals to be quite a choppy book that rehashed a few too many of the main themes of earlier books - which may mean better books never come up for adaptation because this got here first.

Obviously I'm all agog to see what they do with the Librarian, though. I can see why they think the football might sell - given it's a cross between Slapshot and Shaolin Soccer in the book - but the issue before Going Postal, partly, was they couldn't handle the effects very well. And they'd need a ton for this one.

quote:

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 234
RE: Best Pratchett book - 20/1/2011 11:08:03 PM   
BishopQuaker

They would indeed need a shitload for Unseen Academicals.

Making Money would be nice but they've done a Moist one so I think they're probably trying to do one for all groups of characters.

There's no Witches or The Watch live action tv movies.

THUD! might be good, I love Witches Abroad as a concept book but again it's about the special effects I suppose.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 235
RE: Best Pratchett book - 20/1/2011 11:29:10 PM   
elab49

I think they've got a problem with any of the novels that go a bit wibbly wobbly with the other side haunting characters or overcoming internal stuff that Pratchett gives a reality to in the books. Thud! would have that quite badly - how to put over the trail of that sign haunting Vimes? I think they might look at Nightwatch as a great contained story that has the same advantages Going Postal has of staying broadly in a more realisable world - but to do it, really, you'd have to know who Vimes is. And getting that right would be the problem.

And it doesn't help that one of the more obvious casting choices has, sadly, just passed on.

quote:

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 236
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/1/2011 10:48:57 AM   
Chief

To do Night Watch any justice they really would have to get a couple of Watch features under their belt first. How else could you appreciate what young Nobby and Colon et al will grow into?

Not that fussed for an Unseen Academical show, wasn't that fussed for the book to be honest.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 237
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/1/2011 11:41:30 AM   
elab49

quote:

To do Night Watch any justice they really would have to get a couple of Watch features under their belt first. How else could you appreciate what young Nobby and Colon et al will grow into?

Exactly. Yet shorn of dragons, and various races, etc, I'd guess it would be the easiest to adapt. Which is quite frustrating

quote:

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 238
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/1/2011 12:53:43 PM   
Chief

I'd like to see Carpe Jugulum adapted. Fairly light on the fantastical with good characters (and I'm a fan of the witches).

Actually, on second thought, this could suffer the same as Night Watch without back story on the witch dynamic. Forget it.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 239
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/1/2011 1:11:26 PM   
talpacino

Guards! Guards! wouldn't be too difficult to do properly, it's not too mad apart from the dragon obviously which they'd need to get right, how did the dragons look in Colour Of Magic? There are large chunks of the book without the dragon so it wouldn't be too bad on the budget.

Failing that, Men at Arms wouldn't be a bad starting off point for the Watch series, it's a relatively straight forward Whodunnit and also one of my favourites.

Currahee!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI