Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Pratchett book

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Pratchett book - 13/1/2010 1:01:47 PM   
Chief

I think I've said it before but Night Watch is the best I've read.
I also think that the series is losing alot of it's humour. Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Making Money & Unseen Academicals - read them all but wasn't overly fussed for any of them.

Who said the witches suck? Witches Abroad, Carpe Jugulum & Makserade are all great books.

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 181
RE: Best Pratchett book - 17/1/2010 5:00:51 PM   
Funkyrae

I love Pratchett, but I honestly think his best one was written in partnership.

Good Omens remains one of the best laugh out loud books ever.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 182
RE: Best Pratchett book - 17/1/2010 5:48:04 PM   
BlueBalls

I haven't read anything by him in a while, but of those I've read; The Truth was always one of my favourites.

And yes Good Omens was excellent.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 183
RE: Best Pratchett book - 17/1/2010 11:05:07 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I also think that the series is losing alot of it's humour. Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Making Money & Unseen Academicals - read them all but wasn't overly fussed for any of them.

Monstrous Regiment has grown on me - the 'socks' gag seems to have gotten funnier with time. I've also enjoyed Going Postal more on a re-read and am trying to gently persuade a friend to return my copy of Making Money so I can give that another go - I suspect that post-credit crunch it'll read very differently.

Unseen Academicals didn't really do it for me - I suspect football in-jokes went over my head. It's only when I was talking to a friend the other day that I suddenly got the 'brother Brutha' joke in Small Gods, 'cos I'd been mentally mis-pronouncing Brutha all these years!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 184
RE: Best Pratchett book - 25/1/2010 11:35:48 AM   
general_potatoface

quote:

Who said the witches suck? Witches Abroad, Carpe Jugulum & Makserade are all great books.

Lords and Ladies is actually my favourite Witches book. I love the bits with Jason and the Morris Men.

But they're all great, yeah. I like how Magrat matures as a character. By Carpe Jugulum she is so completely not the "Wet Hen" anymore.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 185
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/4/2010 3:34:33 PM   
REALLYMAD

I'm so pleased to discover this thread. Pratchett has been one of my personal heroes since I first discovered him through Mort, which I bought as a freebie when I ordered Arthur C.Clarke's 2061 from the Encounters Book Club (later to become the SF & Fantasy Book Club - remember those?).

I cried laughing; it was almost as if I had found a kindred spirit in print. If I ever work out how to leave a signature thingy in here I'd seriously think of putting in "I don't know about you but I could murder a curry!" said by Death as he took on Mort as an apprentice.

From that moment I was hooked and I have every single Discworld novel in hardback. My preferred choices tend to gravitate around the Guards and Death but if I had to list them I would say:
Mort
Night Watch
Guards Guards!
Reaper Man
Men At Arms
Soul Music
Monstrous Regiment
The Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents
Going Postal
Thud

Good Omens also of course.

Sorry, can't make that list any smaller, I am simply a huge fan. It makes me that much sadder therefore to admit that some of his more recent books, whilst still completely enjoyable, do not quite manage to clear the bar that Terry himself has set so highly with his body of work.

A lot of this has to do with his illness; Terry has Alzheimer's. More frequent lapses in concentration as just one symptom of his failing health must make it incredibly difficult for the man to stay focussed. It wouldn't surprise me that assistants were even typing for him on occasion, the resulting changes in his creative processes unravelling the concentration. Unseen Academicals did make me laugh at moments but the ending sadly ran out of steam and deflated somewhat.

Terry was recently honoured as the subject of the annual BBC Richard Dimbleby Lecture. So worried that he would be unable to perform without his illness kicking in and messing him up, Terry asked Tony Robinson (surely the man born to play Nobby Nobbs; more on that later) to speak on his behalf from a prepared script while the man himself sat up on the platform beside the podium. The lecture was about Terry's life as a writer and also his support of voluntary euthanasea and the wish to end his own life on his own terms when he felt the time was right. I'm a grown man and I don't mind telling you there were a couple of tears by the end.

When that time comes our comfort in his passing will be the wealth of joy and happiness he left us all in his books. He is a genuinely kind, modest and warm man who has not let the bright lights blind him.

I met him once. I've never been one to ambulance chase celebrities but he came to our area during a nationwide booksigning tour for his latest book, Interesting Times. I couldn't resist. He was scheduled for 2 hours; he had been sat there for 6 when I finally found myself face to face with him and no sign of the queue, out the door and around the corner, diminishing anytime soon. I overheard him asking the people ahead of me who the three brand new copies were for. "All for me and I would like them all signing please, along with these other twelve other books of yours I bought while I was here, three copies of each of course..." replied one of the girls who for the 90 minutes I had been stood behind her had bleated on non-stop about every tiny little item of Pratchett fine detail minutei you could possibly imagine. "One to read, one to keep as a pristine copy for my collection and one spare, just in case. I always buy three brand new copies of each of your books," she continued.

To which he replied:

"Then you must be very very sad."

I howled inside but stifled it as she looked genuinely crestfallen. That said, he signed all 15 books, stamped them all with a special exclusive Unseen University rubber stamp, smiled and said "thank you" at the end and she left with a massive grin on her face.

As I approached his little desk I noticed him wincing and rubbing what must have been an extremely sore wrist underneath an athletic support for the lower arm. All that signing, hours of it. I asked him "Long day?" He looked up, exhausted but smiling nontheless and replied, "Why? You don't have 15 books as well do you?". I laughed and shook my head as he sighed in relief, no doubt noting the rest of the queue in the corner of his eye. Then I said to him "I don't mind if you don't sign it Terry, save it for the next one. It was a pleasure just to meet you."

He just sat there for a moment, smiling wider than just before. He asked me my name, I gave it. He signed my book, stamped it and gave both the book and the stamp to me. Then he reached over to a pile of T shirts the publishers had produced for the book signing, signed a shirt and gave that to me too. He turned to the shop staff and said "Don't charge him for that."

Thank YOU Terry. For everything.

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 186
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/4/2010 3:52:36 PM   
REALLYMAD

Oh, almost forgot since I was rambling there, the casting thing.

I did enjoy the adaptations of Hogfather and The Colour of Magic and they can both quite happily stand alone as good entertainment to the uninitiated but I can't help comparing to the books and how much is lost on the transfer. Happens a lot with Stephen King novels too. Anyway, some of the perfect casting that will probably never happen would be:

Philip Glenister as Sam Vimes
Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax
Tony Robinson as Nobby Nobbs
David Jason as Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler (my favourite character).

All superb for the roles but far too close to already very strongly linked characters, which then makes the whole thing typecast and gimmicky and takes much away from the story they were never originally part of. Sam Vimes is too close to Gene Hunt, as is Nobbs to Baldrick and Dibbler to Del Boy. Besides, how many roles does he want anyway? And Maggie's appearances in Harry Potter will always be THE witch we know her for.

< Message edited by REALLYMAD -- 1/4/2010 3:57:11 PM >

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 187
RE: Best Pratchett book - 29/4/2010 11:29:05 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: REALLYMAD

Oh, almost forgot since I was rambling there, the casting thing.

I did enjoy the adaptations of Hogfather and The Colour of Magic and they can both quite happily stand alone as good entertainment to the uninitiated but I can't help comparing to the books and how much is lost on the transfer. Happens a lot with Stephen King novels too. Anyway, some of the perfect casting that will probably never happen would be:

Philip Glenister as Sam Vimes
Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax
Tony Robinson as Nobby Nobbs
David Jason as Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler (my favourite character).

All superb for the roles but far too close to already very strongly linked characters, which then makes the whole thing typecast and gimmicky and takes much away from the story they were never originally part of. Sam Vimes is too close to Gene Hunt, as is Nobbs to Baldrick and Dibbler to Del Boy. Besides, how many roles does he want anyway? And Maggie's appearances in Harry Potter will always be THE witch we know her for.

One thing about the adaption though is how they've discover not just one, but two, perfect actors for Vetinari!  That also goes for Death.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 188
RE: Best Pratchett book - 23/5/2010 8:20:28 PM   
bozo

Here's a top 10

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 189
RE: Best Pratchett book - 18/8/2010 4:25:03 PM   
BishopQuaker

I'm reading Small Gods at the moment actually.

Just to let you know that

"I shall wear midnight" is out on 2nd September. I thought it was the 1st, but 2nd will do just as well!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 190
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/8/2010 12:51:53 PM   
talpacino

The Guards have always been my favourites. I'd probably go for Guards! Guards! Closely followed by Night Watch.

I re-read Guards! Guards! and Men at arms last week and loved them just as much as the first time. I was going to start Feet of Clay this morning but decided to take a break from the guards and went with Colour of Magic. I'm enjoying it but I have to say not as much as when I was younger. Hope it clicks with me soon, I used to really like the Rincewind books.

On a side note, I also started re-playing the old Discworld game from the 90's last week. Eric Idle is great, I would have loved to see him as Rincewind in the TV adaptation of CoM instead of David Jason.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 191
RE: Best Pratchett book - 19/9/2010 11:45:33 PM   
hellsangel66

Love Terry Pratchett!!!! My favourite books are the Guards series plus anything that has Nanny Ogg in it - hilarious!  But my all time favourite characters have to be Detritus, Nobby and Carrot

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 192
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/10/2010 4:39:24 PM   
gazpop

What a lovely story earlier about meeting Terry P by Reallymad. Good for you, and good for him.
As we're on faves, The Light Fantastic was my first (before I realised that The Colour of Magic came before, doh!) and so has a special place in my heart. Introducing me to Rincewind and the luggage is a special moment. I own a second hand bookshop and love to recommend his books to young 'uns (I'm 34). Apart from that, I would say Sourcery (come one, wizard wars for frikks sake!), Mort (Death is one of the greatest characters by far.....he loves curry and cats for heavens sake), Equal Rites (for giving us Granny, Og and Magrat), Guards Guards (giving us Vimes and Carrot, Nobbs and co) and Small Gods (Cohen the Barbarian? genius). I suppose that makes me a fan of his early stuff. Good Omens deserves a place there as it made a great impression on me (who can forget the tape player in Crowley's car or the dog who was slightly more than just 'dog')
Everything he has done is genius and I was very pleased to read that Rincewind is staying out of trouble in UU in Unseen Academicals. Although I wouldn't mind him taking a trip. Avec baggage.
I will need some time to work out who could play who. Saying Ian McKellan is a bit of a cop out for Ridcully. How about David Tennant for Rincewind?
Bless TP and us Pratchett lovers, everyone of us.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to hellsangel66)
Post #: 193
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/10/2010 2:08:00 PM   
elab49

The reply to BQ and Sharkboy

I completely agree the earlier books should be read - but, equally, to fully understand the relationship with Granny Weatherwax and the character of Nanny Ogg, particularly what witchery actually is there, I think that should go back to reading the first witch books. It added so much more to the first Tiffany book to know that. And then - couldn't you also say you shouldn't read it without reading one particular other book from the series? (Which, oddly, I'd been talking about how oddly it fitted in the series only a week or so before Midnight came out )

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 194
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/10/2010 2:18:28 PM   
gazpop

What is this Midnight book you speak of? Do tell......and me with a bookshop too, tsk tsk

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 195
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/10/2010 2:45:30 PM   
elab49

I Shall Wear Midnight - the new Tiffany Aching book.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 196
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/10/2010 3:48:37 PM   
BishopQuaker

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I Shall Wear Midnight - the new Tiffany Aching book.

So which order are the Tiffany Aching books in?
I have Wintersmith and another one - possibly The Nac Mac Feagle (if that's a book) but I don't have have the new one yet. I'd quite like to read them in order as I have managed to read pretty much every other character out of order apart from Moist Von Lipwig

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 197
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/10/2010 3:54:30 PM   
BishopQuaker

Just seen the message left by sharkboy

Thanks for that!

Post #: 198
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/10/2010 3:56:56 PM   
sharkboy

It's The Wee Free Men, then A Hat Full of Sky, then Wintersmith and finally I Shall Wear Midnight.

If, on the other hand you want to take up elab's suggestion and read up on the witches of Discworld, and Granny Weatherwax in particular, it is a much longer list - Equal Rites; Wyrd Sisters; Witches Abroad; Lords and Ladies; Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum, with peripheral activities in other books.  In fact, given the appearance of certain characters in the latest book, Equal Rites might be a good read before starting I Shall Wear Midnight. 

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 199
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/10/2010 4:18:27 PM   
elab49

You could also go the whole hog for characters in Midnight and do the Watch as well - although I'm guessing from your comment, BQ, you've read a good chunk if not all of the other books? (Where you mention you read the characters out of order )

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 200
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/10/2010 11:11:36 AM   
Chief

I can't believe I Shall Wear Midnight has slipped under my radar.

I've had a bit of a hiatus from reading and this looks just the thing to get me back into it.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 201
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/10/2010 5:05:04 PM   
talpacino

Just finished Equal Rites at the weekend, wasn't a fan of the witches when I was a kid, loved Equal Rites this time around. Started Mort yesterday, Brilliant!

Currahee!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 202
RE: Best Pratchett book - 30/10/2010 10:26:29 PM   
white mage

Great thread! I think Terry Prachett is a genious! My favorites Terry Prachett books are Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Good Omens, The Last Containant, Wee Free Men, Nation and Jingo. I'm currently reading Thud and I'm enjoying it  

< Message edited by white mage -- 30/10/2010 10:27:10 PM >

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 203
RE: Best Pratchett book - 22/11/2010 4:12:31 PM   
Chief

Currently re-reading Thud! I'd forgotten how good it was.

I've also got I Shall Wear Midnight sitting for when I finish it.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 204
RE: Best Pratchett book - 22/11/2010 4:18:18 PM   
Fanboyslayer

I think Mort is probably up there for me as it was the first one I ever read of his. I've only read a handful and they've all been good but I do remember Mort really making me laugh out loud.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 205
RE: Best Pratchett book - 22/11/2010 4:27:02 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

I think Mort is probably up there for me as it was the first one I ever read of his. I've only read a handful and they've all been good but I do remember Mort really making me laugh out loud.

Mort was really good. I suggest get cracking and read the rest!

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 206
RE: Best Pratchett book - 22/11/2010 4:53:45 PM   
talpacino

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

Mort was really good. I suggest get cracking and read the rest!

Which is what I'm doing at the moment. I had read maybe 20 of the Discworld books and decided to start from the start again and fill in the ones that I had skipped.
Mort is fantastic, currently my favourite though Guards! Guards! had always been before.

I'm picking up the ones that I've missed as I go along but I haven't always been able to find copies with the original Josh Kirby cover illustrations. The new covers are nice but I prefer the old ones and would like to have them all matching, tis a shame.

Currahee!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 207
RE: Best Pratchett book - 7/12/2010 12:47:59 PM   
Chief

Just finished I Shall Wear Midnight. Thought it was really good. Wouldn't say it was a children's book at all.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 208
RE: Best Pratchett book - 7/12/2010 2:30:45 PM   
Invader_Ace

Reaper Man.
Guards Guards and Men at Arms.  I've actually read these two a lot, I can't really remember which is which!

Not a fan of the Witches though.

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 209
RE: Best Pratchett book - 7/12/2010 4:03:26 PM   
elab49

dragon (1) and rifle (2)

It's been absolutely ages since I reread Reaper Man - must amend that.

quote:

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI