Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Pratchett book

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/7/2006 12:51:35 AM   
Thrillkiller

Good Omens definitely for me - don't know who brought what to the table out of Tezza and Gaiman but the combination is fantastic (all the little footnotes are brilliant).

Also got a soft spot for Guards, Guards!! because it was the first introduction to Discworld that I had via a radio adaptation on the original Radio 5 (also bizarrely where Room 101 started off). Had Martin Jarvis as the narrator and a really good cast who suited the roles down the to ground. It also had the most perfect voice for Death that I've ever heard (much better than the one they had in the Mort adaptation). Even in the cast list is had Death played by "Death"! If they'd release that on CD I'd be well chuffed but haven't seen hide nor hair of it around. Occasionally it's played on Radio 7 so it's well worth keeping an eye out for it if you get the chance to have a listen.

"I can't get up without my furry alarm clock"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 61
RE: Best Pratchett book - 6/8/2006 9:42:00 PM   
Tohru_Readman

It's probably the Colour of Magic, mostly because of Rincewind, follow by Reaper Man.

Just because they serve you doesn't mean they like you.

(in reply to Thrillkiller)
Post #: 62
RE: Best Pratchett book - 16/11/2006 10:23:25 AM   
Base

Is this the closest we have to an official Discworld thread??  I haven't stepped into the Wintersmith thread as I haven't read it yet, waiting to see if it's in my Christmas stocking...!

Just started re-reading Hogfather in anticipation of the adaptation!!!  There is an illustrated screen play out with lots of pics and it is looking good...! 

http://www.rhifilms.com

Search on that site for Hogfather for set pics!!!!

< Message edited by Base -- 16/11/2006 10:28:12 AM >

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Tohru_Readman)
Post #: 63
RE: Best Pratchett book - 16/11/2006 3:11:23 PM   
damo1104

I like Colour Of Magic and ReaperMan...

I am also proud owner of an Autographed copy of Only You can Save Mankind...

I am a loner
alone
in a crowded head
and crowded in a lonely world...

(words of Salena Godden)

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 64
RE: Best Pratchett book - 16/11/2006 3:30:04 PM   
elab49

The ones I reread most are the Watch books (which I am currently redoing in reverse). Sam VImes has replaced Death as my favourite character - but the Librarian is simply not getting enough book time!

I don't think there are any of the character sets I don't like though - it took me a while to get used to the witches but when they attended their first play I found it pant-wettingly funny!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to damo1104)
Post #: 65
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/11/2006 1:34:43 PM   
Chief

Seen the advert for The Hogfather on the box on Sunday night. Can't wait. Anyone know what day it's on?

According to Wikipedia its a two part adaptation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogfather_%28TV_series%29

< Message edited by Chief -- 21/11/2006 1:38:14 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 66
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/11/2006 1:47:01 PM   
naomi

I would have to say all of them - but at the moment I am reading Wintersmith and this has had me in stiches on the bus - causing quite a few worried glances from people.

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 67
RE: Best Pratchett book - 21/11/2006 1:48:04 PM   
naomi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Seen the advert for The Hogfather on the box on Sunday night. Can't wait. Anyone know what day it's on?

According to Wikipedia its a two part adaptation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogfather_%28TV_series%29

No idea - but I was reading the making of book in Hodges at the weekend - some of the characters look great!!

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 68
RE: Best Pratchett book - 24/11/2006 9:51:28 PM   
The Red Avenger

I do.

It's first shown on 17th December at 8.05
Second part on the 18th December at 8.00

It will then be repeated at least twice.

The SKY ONE minisite will be live next week.

The Premiere is on Monday so look out for the reviews.
RA

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 69
RE: Best Pratchett book - 24/11/2006 11:44:27 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Is this the closest we have to an official Discworld thread??  I haven't stepped into the Wintersmith thread as I haven't read it yet, waiting to see if it's in my Christmas stocking...!

Just started re-reading Hogfather in anticipation of the adaptation!!!  There is an illustrated screen play out with lots of pics and it is looking good...! 

http://www.rhifilms.com

Search on that site for Hogfather for set pics!!!!

Aaaah! The pictures are dreadful! It's going to be crap.
I always thought Maskerade is his most filmable novel - it's set largely in one building, has a lot of colourful characters (doh!) and a great plot.
Imagine if Terry Gilliam directs it!
By the way my fave Pratchett is Thief of Time, with The Fifth Elephant a close second.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 70
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/11/2006 10:57:22 AM   
Base

D'oh, just found out when it's going to be on and came dashing in here to tell a little too late, ah well

What do you mean crap!!?!??!?!?!?  Marc Warren as Teatime, David Jason as Albert, someone I've never heard of as Susan who looks EXACTLY as I imagined her!!!  And Pratchett himself!!!!  This is going to rock!!!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 71
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/11/2006 1:00:46 PM   
Penguin of Death

Probably something from the Watch series, Thud! or Nightwatch, though Going Postal is up there too. I think that while it is still a fantasy series the books are becoming more realistic, especially the ones set in Ankh Morpork which keeps developing into a real place rather than just somewhere to set a story. The Watch books has the advantages of a realistic setting, a large cast that have all had several books to develop and a lot of known supporting characters like the Wizards and the Patrician

To the engineer everything can be placed into one of two categories: things that need to be fixed, and things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them.

www.wrg.org.uk

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 72
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/11/2006 1:04:51 PM   
Penguin of Death

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Anyone know (or have any details) if there any new Discworld books in the pipeline?

From the SFX website

Tell us about the next book, Making Money.
"It's a direct sequel to Going Postal, involving several of the main characters. If you want a crude shorthand, it's [Going Postal's conman protagonist] Moist Van Lipwig doing for banking what he did for the Post Office. It's something of an ensemble book, there are lots of characters. Despite the fact that it takes place in the oldest bank in Ankh-Morpork, and Moist always thought of banks as being rather dull places, there are very few characters in it who are entirely sane."
Did Making Money come partly out of the research for Going Postal?
"Not really, but it came out of writing Going Postal because I was hinting then about Vetinari wanting the city to go over to paper money. A lot of the book is, if you step back from the fun and games, about: what is money? What is it that makes us believe that this little piece of paper with a picture on it is actually worth a good meal? What would happen if we stopped believing that?"
Next adult Discworld is a sequel of sorts to Going Postal, same characters looking into sorting out the money of Ankh Morpork and introducing paper note

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=terry_pratchett_interview

< Message edited by Penguin of Death -- 27/11/2006 1:09:20 PM >

To the engineer everything can be placed into one of two categories: things that need to be fixed, and things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them.

www.wrg.org.uk

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 73
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/11/2006 1:08:21 PM   
elab49

quote:

D'oh, just found out when it's going to be on and came dashing in here to tell a little too late, ah well

What do you mean crap!!?!??!?!?!?  Marc Warren as Teatime, David Jason as Albert, someone I've never heard of as Susan who looks EXACTLY as I imagined her!!!  And Pratchett himself!!!!  This is going to rock!!!

Or not. I'll hold fire till I see it - the worry is it will become just a bit too much of the Albert show given the casting. And Albert looks a bit more twee than seedy in the pics.

David Warner is excellent casting as Lord Downey though - but I've never heard of the person playing the questionable person of Nobby Nobbs. And for fans that will be one of the key roles, surely? Have to get Nobby right.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 74
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/11/2006 3:31:00 PM   
Wedge

Sorry, someone may have posted this link, but hey,

http://www.rhifilms.com/property.php?propertyId=Hogfather

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 75
RE: Best Pratchett book - 27/11/2006 8:52:47 PM   
harleybess

I love the idea of Joss Ackland as Mustrum Ridcully. I see what elab49 means about David Jason as Albert. But on the whole I think the casting is well done but on personal preference I prefered (I know I've used that twice) Christopher Lee as the voice of death.

My favourite Terry Pratchett book is The Carpet People. My favourite Discworld book is is toss up between Nightwatch and probably Interesting Times.
Although I did pass my Macbeth GCSE based on reading Wyrd Sisters back to back with Shakespeare.
Actually my favourite book of all is Good Omens but that is only co-written by Terry Pratchett

My all time greatest character is His Grace His Excellency The Duke of Ankh  (Blackboard Monitor) Commander of the Watch Sir Samuel Vimes

should have picked the photograph it lasted longer than you

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 76
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/12/2006 10:26:59 AM   
Base

Early word on Hogfather is good, tho I don't know if David Jason getting sloshed at the premiere is a good or a bad sign?!?!

Back on topic of the books, started re-reading The Wee Free Men.  Can't remember much of what happened in the Tiffany Aching books so I'm preparing in the hope I get Wintersmith for Christmas

Incidentally, it's been years since I read Equal Rites, but wasn't that about a young very gifted witch???

(in reply to harleybess)
Post #: 77
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/12/2006 2:32:01 PM   
Wedge

Well, technically she was a wizard.  Similiar ideas though.  Moreover, Granny isn't quite the same character as she is post-Wyrd Sisters.  If I remember rightly, witch training (of the kind seen in Tiffany books) also featured in Lords and Ladies. 

Sky are rumoured to have the rights for 3 or 4 more stories.  If they adapted more Pratchett books for TV my vote would be for Mort, Wyrd Sister and Guards Guards.  That way, they'd begin the three major story groups - Death et al, Witches and the Watch.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 78
RE: Best Pratchett book - 4/12/2006 12:40:51 PM   
elab49

quote:

Early word on Hogfather is good, tho I don't know if David Jason getting sloshed at the premiere is a good or a bad sign?!?!

Back on topic of the books, started re-reading The Wee Free Men.  Can't remember much of what happened in the Tiffany Aching books so I'm preparing in the hope I get Wintersmith for Christmas

Incidentally, it's been years since I read Equal Rites, but wasn't that about a young very gifted witch???

Can only keep fingers crossed - although how likely is it that the reviewers have any idea what the characters are supposed to be like?

quote:

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 79
RE: Best Pratchett book - 5/12/2006 9:42:11 AM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
the worry is it will become just a bit too much of the Albert show given the casting. And Albert looks a bit more twee than seedy in the pics.

I'm still really looking forward to this but after seeing the billboard for it this morning, this could be right.  Poster looked cool but the focus is very much on Albert who is little more than minor comic relief in the book.  Really hoping they haven't misfired just to cast David Jason...!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 80
RE: Best Pratchett book - 5/12/2006 3:33:16 PM   
JustBuggin

Good Omens is his best. Neil Gaiman brings out the best in him.

As for Discworld, I'd go for the first three Watch books.

Feet of Clay was the first Pratchett book I ever owned, and I have a signed copy of The Last Continent.

< Message edited by JustBuggin -- 5/12/2006 3:38:09 PM >

"Death awaits you all, with nasty big pointy teeth."
Click to View my Online Comic

Follow me on Twitter

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 81
RE: Best Pratchett book - 5/12/2006 5:20:42 PM   
chilipenguin

I would say that Soul Music is definitely my favourite book. Just reading through my collection again at the moment and just finished Monstrous Regiment for the first time. I really liked it up until about half way through when it the repetitive confessions became a bit boring.

One, Two, Many, Lots!

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to JustBuggin)
Post #: 82
RE: Best Pratchett book - 5/12/2006 5:24:19 PM   
Hex

I love the Nightwatch books so Gaurds Gaurds holds a special place in my heart.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 83
RE: Best Pratchett book - 5/12/2006 11:25:22 PM   
Fanboyslayer

I have to put a vote in for Mort because it was the first one I read and I was crying with laughter. I also loved Equal Rites and Wryd Sisters but to be honest everyone I've read so far I've loved.
Looking forward to the Hogfather adaption on sky as I haven't read it yet so don't know what to expect although my other half is a massive Pratchett fan so will no doubt be pointing out where it's gone wrong

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 84
RE: Best Pratchett book - 6/12/2006 9:02:38 AM   
Base

I'll probably get slapped for keep raising adaptations rather than talking about the books, but anyone know anymore about the Wee Free Men film???

I'm re-reading the Tiffany Aching books, great stuff... CRIVENS!!!!!

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 85
RE: Best Pratchett book - 7/12/2006 1:23:11 PM   
keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

I would say that Soul Music is definitely my favourite book. Just reading through my collection again at the moment and just finished Monstrous Regiment for the first time. I really liked it up until about half way through when it the repetitive confessions became a bit boring.

One, Two, Many, Lots!

I have to say I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Soul Music and Moving Pictures. The Watch books will always be the best for me though - especially Night Watch. Vimes is quite possibly my favourite character ever, from any book, although I always imagine him as a little bit Richard Dean Anderson...!

I believe in only using my powers when the situation demands it.

Post #: 86
RE: Best Pratchett book - 19/12/2006 2:05:19 AM   
chilipenguin

quote:

ORIGINAL: keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

One, Two, Many, Lots!

I have to say I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Soul Music and Moving Pictures. The Watch books will always be the best for me though - especially Night Watch. Vimes is quite possibly my favourite character ever, from any book, although I always imagine him as a little bit Richard Dean Anderson...!

That's crazy. I kinda thought of him like that too. I also have to put a word in for Detritus as one of the best characters. The relationship between Vimes and him is fantastic. "Don't salute!"

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 87
RE: Best Pratchett book - 10/1/2007 3:30:37 PM   
Base

Finished re-reading the Wee Free Men and have started A Hat Full of Sky before I start Wintersmith.  The Tiffany Aching books seem to be a bit more direct sequels than the other lines.  They also seem to have more fantasy elements than the main books do nowadays, like the fairy queen and the single witch split in 2 bodies.  What do you all think of them??

Post #: 88
RE: Best Pratchett book - 10/1/2007 4:44:42 PM   
Wedge

quote:

Finished re-reading the Wee Free Men and have started A Hat Full of Sky before I start Wintersmith.  The Tiffany Aching books seem to be a bit more direct sequels than the other lines.  They also seem to have more fantasy elements than the main books do nowadays, like the fairy queen and the single witch split in 2 bodies.  What do you all think of them??

They're great.  I love seeing Granny Weatherwax and Nanny again too.  They are beginning to repeat themselves slightly though. 

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 89
RE: Best Pratchett book - 16/1/2007 11:23:19 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Just finished MORT on my journey beginning to end.  I can't decide wether to re-read the ones I have already read or miss them out. 

Anyway onto Sourcery.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI