Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Pratchett book

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/2/2006 9:08:32 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'm currently working my way through the discworld books and am reading Guards! Guards! at the moment.  Enjoying it a lot 

So far I would say that Mort is my favourite as I think his character is great, although Rincewind comes a close second.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 31
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/2/2006 9:50:57 PM   
Wedge

quote:

Although I can't wait to see who is cast as Teatime.

Malcolm McDowell has been cast.  Good choice, although a little old perhaps.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 32
RE: Best Pratchett book - 3/3/2006 2:45:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Just started again on the discworld series as I had never read Colour of Magic or Light Fantastic and started buying the new style books which do look rather nice. Have a butchers below.

Got to say the Colour of Magic was a little harder work than the any Prachett I have read so far but I fair enjoyed the Light Fantastic.  Someone really should pick these up for a series they would be perfect for Sunday evening tele. Anyway onto Equal rights at the mo.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 33
RE: Best Pratchett book - 6/3/2006 12:33:36 PM   
Izzardesque2

Can't say I like those covers!

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Post #: 34
RE: Best Pratchett book - 7/3/2006 10:44:29 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Izzardesque2

Can't say I like those covers!

Why not?  I prefer them to the old ones.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 35
RE: Best Pratchett book - 7/3/2006 2:33:35 PM   
Izzardesque2

Much prefer the Josh Kirby ones!

So seldom are clean

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Post #: 36
RE: Best Pratchett book - 7/3/2006 4:24:38 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Izzardesque2

Much prefer the Josh Kirby ones!

LoL  I hated them.  Ah well you can't please all people..............

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 37
RE: Best Pratchett book - 8/3/2006 6:58:16 PM   
angiep

I love Mort...and Reaper Man...big fan of Death

falling over again.

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 38
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/3/2006 12:58:08 PM   
Parlablane

I have to say that I really enjoyed Going Postal.  Before that I would have said Night Watch, but I'm torn between the two.

Has anybody read Thud?  I must admit that I'm a lttle loathe to read it as I figure it's just a marketing gimmick to get more people to buy the game  (Which I already own and think is brilliant).  I just don't know if I can read a three hundred page advert for something I already own.

Advice? 

Life is pain Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling somehing.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Post #: 39
RE: Best Pratchett book - 9/3/2006 1:44:11 PM   
Izzardesque2

I think the book came first...

So seldom are clean

(in reply to Parlablane)
Post #: 40
RE: Best Pratchett book - 10/3/2006 11:12:50 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

and the book it great......

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 41
RE: Best Pratchett book - 13/3/2006 6:28:34 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

I think Lords and Ladies, Carpe Jugulum and Monstrous Regiment have to be personal favourites of mine. As for fave characters, Sam Vimes is my hero, I *love* Death (he likes cats and curry and rides a horse called Binky. It doesn't get any better). However, I have to stand by Nanny Ogg as I came to the recent realisation that I basically am a young Nanny Ogg. I'm already working on my 'Lawks' and memorising the words to the Hedgehog Song. Incidentally, I am a good cook, although I have yet to make the Banana Surprise or the Maids of Honour -- "Well, they starts as Maids of Honour, but they end up Tarts."

Cover-wise, I like newcomer Paul Kirby; his artwork is astounding, and if you have a gander at Art of the Discworld, his representations of the characters is fantastic. He really hits 'em on the head for me -- the drawings are uncannily akin to how I'd always imagined them, especially Vimes and Granny Weatherwax.

And as for upcoming films -- is it just me, or is Brian Blessed ideally suited to play Archancellor Ridcully???

I must also admit to something that's bound to get a hostile response -- I hate Rincewind. I think he's a rubbish character, very dull, and the series is well rid of him. Flame me at will....

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

Post #: 42
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/3/2006 11:38:15 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

I think Lords and Ladies, Carpe Jugulum and Monstrous Regiment have to be personal favourites of mine. As for fave characters, Sam Vimes is my hero, I *love* Death (he likes cats and curry and rides a horse called Binky. It doesn't get any better). However, I have to stand by Nanny Ogg as I came to the recent realisation that I basically am a young Nanny Ogg. I'm already working on my 'Lawks' and memorising the words to the Hedgehog Song. Incidentally, I am a good cook, although I have yet to make the Banana Surprise or the Maids of Honour -- "Well, they starts as Maids of Honour, but they end up Tarts."

Cover-wise, I like newcomer Paul Kirby; his artwork is astounding, and if you have a gander at Art of the Discworld, his representations of the characters is fantastic. He really hits 'em on the head for me -- the drawings are uncannily akin to how I'd always imagined them, especially Vimes and Granny Weatherwax.

And as for upcoming films -- is it just me, or is Brian Blessed ideally suited to play Archancellor Ridcully???

I must also admit to something that's bound to get a hostile response -- I hate Rincewind. I think he's a rubbish character, very dull, and the series is well rid of him. Flame me at will....

For the upcoming films I think only The Wee Free Men is being made with Sam Rami having some input.  I think Good Omens is as far from getting made as ever and I believe Sky are making The Hogfather, but I have a nasty feeling that they will balls it up.  Does anyone think they could actually make the full Discworld set into a live action series or would budgetry restraints make it impossible?  Personally I think CG animation is the only way to do these books at a reasonable cost for TV and even then it wouldn't be cheep.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 43
RE: Best Pratchett book - 14/3/2006 1:25:38 PM   
Izzardesque2

I don't think they work outside of the books. I didn;t like the animations already made. I think many of the jokes, puns and satire are too literary to be able to be seen visually.

So seldom are clean

Post #: 44
RE: Best Pratchett book - 15/3/2006 10:41:51 AM   
Rinc

Moving Pictures for me although always liked Small Gods and Interesting Times as well.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 45
RE: Best Pratchett book - 28/3/2006 5:45:39 AM   
frankj

Naaah - the animations were pish. June Whitfield changed the words of The Hedgehog Song "because of the kiddies watching", and Les Dennis was just appalling.

On the plus side - Christopher Lee as Death...

Best books -

Mort is wonderful, and the first book where he really got into his stride.

Good Omens remains brilliant, but you just know they'll arse up a film version. And set it in Boston. I'd prefer Channel 4 to do a proper adaptation - six episodes, an hour apiece. Jude Law as Aziraphale, Kenny Doughty as Crawley. Magic.

Witches Abroad - still the most laugh-out-loud of the lot. I wet myself every time.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

Post #: 46
RE: Best Pratchett book - 28/3/2006 7:11:20 PM   
James74

Great topic for a forum!

Ive read only the first five books so far,  Mort is my favourite.  Mainly because of DEATH going on holiday which was hilarious. He is my favourite character also. 
I like the other books too but Mort is great. 
Gonna start reading Wyrd Sisters tonight.  Is there any other good DEATH books i could try ?

Post #: 47
RE: Best Pratchett book - 28/3/2006 11:41:57 PM   
frankj

DEATH seems to pop up in most of the books now, but he's the main character in Reaper Man (which made me all emotional at the end!) - beyond that, I think Susan takes centre stage in the DEATH-related stories.

Stick with the Witches for the sheer comedy and drama!

(in reply to James74)
Post #: 48
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/4/2006 10:38:33 AM   
Mike TV

I'm in the middle of re-reading Feet of Clay, and I'd forgotten what a work of genius it is.

It's a bona fide mystery and it's got some brilliant dialogue, especially some of Vimes' inner monologues concerning Detritus. Brilliant.

118...247...give us a call it's directory heaven...

Poke it.

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 49
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/4/2006 11:45:36 AM   
Baby Bear

When people see my copies if the Pratchett books, a few say that they have never read any. At this point I leap into action and thrust my copy of Mort in their hands with the command of go hither from this place , read and relish the book. I have made many converts using this method. It has also cost my a bloody fortune in Borders for replacements. I should become a Witness, Mormon or sell Kirby cleaners with my batting average.....
So, I would have to say, Mort is my fave.

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Mike TV)
Post #: 50
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/4/2006 12:41:09 PM   
frankj

Do you know if they're any closer to making a film of Mort, BabyBear?

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 51
RE: Best Pratchett book - 1/4/2006 9:34:10 PM   
Baby Bear

Not a feckin' clue, Frankie-baby!

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 52
Hogfather - cast - 3/4/2006 4:08:20 PM   
The Red Avenger

I've been delving around and found a few things out regarding the casting of Hogfather.

Definitely confirmed are

Albert - David Jason
Death (Voice) - Ian Richardson
Susan - Michelle Dockery
Teatime - Marc Warren

Okay - now these are sort of confirmed although if they are proved wrong don't castigate me for passing on the info.

Ridcully - Joss Ackland
Lord Downey - David Warner
Mr Sydeney - Nigel Planer.

These last three are confirmed in a post by Vadim Jean on the Hogfather Messageboards on IMDB.  Ok so it's up to you to believe them or if it is indeed Vadim Jean but check his history and it does appear to be him and people seem to accept it without much question so I'm inclined to believe it.

I am intending to (once the project is in full swing) update in the TV forum if anybody is interested.  I've also asked the Director a few questions such as "will there be an official website?" and "if it's a success will there be more Discworld adaptations?"  so I will keep you informed.
RA

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 53
RE: Hogfather - cast - 4/4/2006 12:24:59 AM   
frankj

Nice one, Red! Now let's just hope it's an improvement on the animated series...

(in reply to The Red Avenger)
Post #: 54
RE: Hogfather - cast - 4/4/2006 10:48:46 AM   
The Red Avenger

Well, Pterry is very hands on, on this project.

Infact he has co-penned the screenplay along with the Director Vadim Jean.

More cast and details as I get them.
RA

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 55
RE: Best Pratchett book - 24/7/2006 11:42:29 AM   
Chief

Anyone know (or have any details) if there any new Discworld books in the pipeline?

Post #: 56
RE: Best Pratchett book - 24/7/2006 12:56:23 PM   
Izzardesque2

Wintersmith (Hardcover)
by Terry Pratchett

Synopsis
Tiffany Aching is a trainee witch - now working for the seriously scary Miss Treason. But when Tiffany witnesses the Dark Dance - the crossover from summer to winter - she does what none has ever done before and leaps into the dance, into the oldest story there ever is, and draws the attention of the wintersmith himself...As Tiffany-shaped snowflakes hammer down on the land, can Tiffany deal with the consequences of her actions? Even with the help of Granny Weatherwax and the Nac Mac Feegle - the fightin', thievin' pictsies who are prepared to lay down their lives for their 'big wee hag' ...

Released on September 28th

So seldom are clean

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 57
RE: Best Pratchett book - 24/7/2006 2:44:06 PM   
Base

Cool!!!  The only one I have ever re-read is Small Gods so I'll choose that one as a favourite, tho I keep meaning to re-read some more, I may have to refresh my memory of Hogfather before the film comes out.

Not a huge fan of Rincewind either and tho I think Sourcery is his weakest book, I loved the end, he should have left it at that for Rincewind.

Just to be pedantic, Good Omens isn't a discworld book

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

Post #: 58
RE: Best Pratchett book - 26/7/2006 12:16:09 PM   
rudeboy

I can't stand the Rincewind character.  The first two books are, for me, the weakest of the series (haven't read the most recent few, I'm just starting to play catch-up).

My favourites are probably Witches Abroad, Guards! Guards! and Pyramids.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 59
RE: Best Pratchett book - 26/7/2006 3:30:56 PM   
sanchia

I would say any of the Watch books.  But would avoid any of the Witch books like the plague I found those terrible.  Shame he has high blood pressure and might have to retire soon.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Best Pratchett book Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI