Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your favourite?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your favourite? Page: [1]
[Poll]

Carrie
  0% (0)
'Salem's Lot
  13% (5)
The Shining
  8% (3)
The Stand
  21% (8)
Pet Sematary
  5% (2)
It
  27% (10)
Misery
  10% (4)
The Green Mile
  0% (0)
The Dark Tower Collection
  8% (3)
Cell
  5% (2)

Total Votes : 37

(last vote on : 26/4/2010 11:53:04 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your fav... - 29/3/2008 11:50:20 PM   
xmagic_dustx

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."
Post #: 1
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 29/3/2008 11:53:13 PM   
The REAL Bozz

'Cell'. I would have said Pet Sematery but it aint on the list!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 2
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 30/3/2008 2:59:23 AM   
Larry of Arabia

I went for Salem's Lot, but no Tommyknockers or Pet Sematary!

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 3
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 30/3/2008 3:24:15 AM   
xmagic_dustx

Alright, I've changed it about a bit.

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 4
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 30/3/2008 8:33:10 AM   
DMC4

'Most popular novels'?
He is the worlds best selling author, I am pretty sure ALL his novels are popular

I voted for the dark tower series

"She's trying to act all sexy and dirty which in a fantasy is great, but in reality you just want to say, Izzie, just because you can do that with your legs doesn't mean you should."
George - Greys Anatomy

Post #: 5
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 30/3/2008 8:59:52 AM   
Baby Bear

I have most of his books. I like about 40% ( 30 % maybe ) and am waiting for another great one. The last load have been painfully awful. I can't think of another writer who has been so inconsistant. ( that is, until you lot start posting and I go, Oh, I forgot about him....)

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to DMC4)
Post #: 6
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 30/3/2008 10:13:21 AM   
Tech_Noir

THE STAND, followed closely by IT.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 7
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 31/3/2008 10:29:23 PM   
Twinkle

I voted for Misery, his greatest novel.  Tight plot (he manages to cut out a lot of the meandering bullshit for once), fantastic suspense/tension, pitch-black humour and chilling, chilling villain.  King's human monsters are far more terrifying that the supernatural ones.

That said, I really love The Dark Tower series.  I actually mourned those characters when I was finished.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 8
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 31/3/2008 10:31:55 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

It was a close call between Misery and The Shining but I went with the latter. It's the closest I've come to actually being scared by a book.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 9
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 31/3/2008 11:01:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I thought he retired a few years ago, and he's slowly releasing ones he had already written...

Anyway, I really like Desperation, as it was the first one I read. Tak tak tak. Misery is excellent tho, although I prefer the film of The Shining to the book, but that's because I'm a Kubrick nut.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 10
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 31/3/2008 11:03:53 PM   
Tech_Noir

Desperation started out really good but then quickly turned into a King cliche.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 11
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 31/3/2008 11:45:14 PM   
rikkie

That's a woefully short list, but it does include The Stand, which is for me the pinnacle of his writing.  A masterpiece.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

Post #: 12
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 1/4/2008 10:29:39 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

That's a woefully short list, but it does include The Stand, which is for me the pinnacle of his writing.  A masterpiece.

Absolutely, I loved everything about that book.

IT was great too, it's essentially a loooong build up to this confrontation.

SPOILERS  -  'IT' BOOK

Did get a little surreal at the end with the giant turtle in space.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 13
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 4/4/2008 3:27:52 PM   
jonson

I went for It as it was the first King book I read. My Mum bought it for me in an airport before we went on holiday (I was 13) and it scraed me stiff. It turned me into a big fan of his. I re-read it about 7 or 8 years ago and I was still impressed.
The Stand is excellent but I think his older novles are better than his more later stuff. Cell was good, Lisey's Story was a bit slow for me, and I'm half way through Duma Key (still ) which is shaping up quite nicely.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 14
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 5/4/2008 12:17:41 AM   
Funkyrae

One of my favourite ones isn't up there.  It's not the usual King fare, it's Dragon's Eye.  The one he wrote for his 13 year old daughter.  It's not the best piece of literature ever, but you can tell he's writing it for a different audience.

That's me that is!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 15
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 6/4/2008 9:13:37 PM   
BobaJango

Glad to see IT leading the way. Some of the greatest characters i've ever spent time with. That in mind, it also has the worst ending of any book i've ever read.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 16
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 7/4/2008 2:28:05 AM   
chrismart83

I went with IT. Great book.

''You'll Never Walk Alone''

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 17
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 8/4/2008 2:50:43 PM   
Tech_Noir

I still rate The Stand ahead of IT.

The Stand really stuck with me, both the idea of a post-plague world and the characters (Larry Underwood, Frannie, Nick, Flagg, etc.).

"My life for you!"

(in reply to chrismart83)
Post #: 18
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 8/4/2008 3:33:08 PM   
Kazuya

It's gotta be Misery, just a fantastic piece of work, extremely tense. The Shining is superb as well, much better than the film, third would probably be Salem's Lot.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 19
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 8/4/2008 4:35:09 PM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

Glad to see IT leading the way. Some of the greatest characters i've ever spent time with. That in mind, it also has the worst ending of any book i've ever read.

The climax/last act never bothered me but the last few pages were unforgiveable.

SPOILERS

They all just forget about eachother and the memory fades away? What an absolute crock of shite. Hated that and felt betrayed. Other than that top book and I'd love to see an HBO adaptation. Wouldn't work as a film.

Still no love for Cell eh?

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 20
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 8/4/2008 5:50:59 PM   
Tech_Noir

IT SPOILERS

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

SPOILERS

They all just forget about eachother and the memory fades away? What an absolute crock of shite. Hated that and felt betrayed.

What?? That was beauty of the ending.

Childhood is always forgotten.

Post #: 21
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 8/4/2008 7:42:10 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Say's the cynic Tech, I remember and loved my childhood. That ending was a very typical adult view on growing old. Hated it

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 22
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 10/4/2008 3:45:33 PM   
KennyM

Salem's Lot was the first King Book I read and I really liked it. I quite liked Cell up to a point to too, but I thought the ending was quite weak. I often find a lot of the endings of his books are weak.

Post #: 23
RE: Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your... - 14/4/2008 7:11:37 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twinkle

I voted for Misery, his greatest novel.  Tight plot (he manages to cut out a lot of the meandering bullshit for once), fantastic suspense/tension, pitch-black humour and chilling, chilling villain.  King's human monsters are far more terrifying that the supernatural ones.

That said, I really love The Dark Tower series.  I actually mourned those characters when I was finished.

Couldn't agree more.  I love King, but sometimes he just waffles so much, whereas with Misery, he cuts out all the crap and leaves you madly turning the pages.  It's his best written novel and certainly the most interesting.  It's terrifying because this situation could so easily happen. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Which of Stephen King's most popular novels is your favourite? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI