Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell out of you

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell out of you Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 8:13:01 PM   
Caster

Yeah Watership Down made you cringe in places (throats ripped out) but even at such a young age I remember respecting it for not sugarcoating the rabbits dying.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 121
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 8:30:05 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Yeah Watership Down made you cringe in places (throats ripped out) but even at such a young age I remember respecting it for not sugarcoating the rabbits dying.

Watership Down was the first Smellathon I ever went to. My school went to see it at the Cumbernauld theatre.  Me and my pals were in primary 3 and scared when the 'General' appeared. The primary 1's went a step further with one boy shitting himself and several having to be led out by embarrassed teachers - niiice! After that the scariest films we seen there were the Railway Children and Donnie the Bull.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 122
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 9:39:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

"Biiiiiigwiiiiiiiig.... BIGWIG!"

Scary stuff.

And I'm sure the bird says 'pissoff!'

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 123
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 9:42:24 PM   
Caster

Makes me laugh every time.  "PISS! OFF!  YOU STOOPID BUNN-EH!"

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 124
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 9:51:36 PM   
skeletonjack

I accidentally walked in on the card playing scene in The Evil Dead when I was around 8, I ran a mile when he/she (can't remember which) turned round and was possessed!
Other films that really scared me as a kid were Dragonslayer, (I really did hide behin the cinema seat when the dragon came on), Clash Of The Titans (Medusa scared the hell out of me as did Calibos", and the bronze man in Jason And The Argonauts! Freaky!
I agree with those who mentioned Watership Down, Superman 3 and Return To Oz also, the latter two I saw in the cinema.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 125
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:00:27 PM   
pocketrocket

Sweet dreams...

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedimage.php?image=MichaelMackenzie/werewolf-5.jpg

still gives me the poops now...

< Message edited by pocketrocket -- 31/3/2008 10:03:30 PM >

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 126
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:17:03 PM   
Rob Robbington

I saw the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland when I was four and completely freaked out.  At the age of 26 I still haven't watched it again

Post #: 127
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:18:15 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: pocketrocket

Sweet dreams...

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedimage.php?image=MichaelMackenzie/werewolf-5.jpg

still gives me the poops now...

How very dare you! The scares the hell out of me even now.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to pocketrocket)
Post #: 128
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:21:39 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

The tree monster in Flash Gordon also gave me the heebee jeebees. Duncan dares and loses!
Pity they didnt put that beast in the stumps when Paul Burrel was doing his 'Im a Celebrity....' thing.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 129
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:28:52 PM   
Tech_Noir

This guy should have scared me, I was at the right age to be scared, but for some reason I just thought he was great to look at.

Post #: 130
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:32:29 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 131
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:40:45 PM   
cdjwfan

Two-Face from Batman Forever completely freaked me out. I had to be brought out of the cinema.
Robo-Cop too. Y'know the bit where he gets shot to pieces at the start. Nightmares for weeks.
Other than that nothing really got to me.

He's got a two-day headstart on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.

Post #: 132
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 11:58:46 PM   
tequilladepalma

The scene in Dr Phibes Rises Again with the scorpians and the clay dogs.I'm not sure how old i was but i do know that up till then it was mischievous fun but that murder was disturbing.

(in reply to cdjwfan)
Post #: 133
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 9:07:45 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

And there was also a horrible episode of The Ray Bradbury Theatre called The Playground, in which a child is bullied at a local playground. And it starred William Shatner - now that's scary. 

I thought that was the Twilight Zone Series? but yes, that was bloody scary. Did it not have a really downbeat ending? ie Shatner's child was getting bullied by the ghosts of the kids that kicked the bejesus out of him?

No, definitely Ray Bradbury Theatre, but it was Twilight Zone stuff in all but name. And yes, it was downbeat :- child is getting bullied and is screaming for his dad to save him and Shatner just turns and walks away, abandoning him to the ghosts. Don't remember much else, but i always stayed clear of jungle gyms after that.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 134
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 11:10:09 AM   
pixiedevil_pop

scared me...

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 135
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 12:44:46 PM   
DazDaMan

An American Werewolf in London scared the shit out of me when I was ten - had to watch any kind of horror/werewolf movie during DAYLIGHT hours for ages after that!

Good times!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 136
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 12:49:53 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

quote:

And there was also a horrible episode of The Ray Bradbury Theatre called The Playground, in which a child is bullied at a local playground. And it starred William Shatner - now that's scary. 

I thought that was the Twilight Zone Series? but yes, that was bloody scary. Did it not have a really downbeat ending? ie Shatner's child was getting bullied by the ghosts of the kids that kicked the bejesus out of him?

No, definitely Ray Bradbury Theatre, but it was Twilight Zone stuff in all but name. And yes, it was downbeat :- child is getting bullied and is screaming for his dad to save him and Shatner just turns and walks away, abandoning him to the ghosts. Don't remember much else, but i always stayed clear of jungle gyms after that.

I thought in the end Shatner does take his son's place and has to re-live the torment for eternity? or something like that?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 137
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 12:51:35 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: tequilladepalma

The scene in Dr Phibes Rises Again with the scorpians and the clay dogs.I'm not sure how old i was but i do know that up till then it was mischievous fun but that murder was disturbing.

Did Dr Phibes not have scary 'Frank Sidebottom' masked henchman in the first film?
They scared me.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to tequilladepalma)
Post #: 138
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 1:12:02 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

An American Werewolf in London scared the shit out of me when I was ten - had to watch any kind of horror/werewolf movie during DAYLIGHT hours for ages after that!

Good times!

Y'know, these ones, like the ones who mentioned The Shining and the like, I can't really have sympathy for.  They're 18s for a reason, y'know! They're meant to scare the shit out of children. You wanna watch it, deal with it! I watched Alien when I was 8 - it's now one of my favourite films! I loved it!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 139
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 1:19:56 PM   
philthehippoworrier

Well I only watched The shining by accident but saying t hat I was well into my aliens and predator by the time I was 6 or so. They never really bothered me. I think the thread should have been called: "Horrific films disguised as child friendly that scared the hell out of you when you were a kid".

I know for a fact that If I'd watched Babe 2; Pig in the City when I was a wee'un I would have been catatonic with shock.

Anail Nathrakh Urth Vas Bethud Dokhjel Djenve

Post #: 140
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 1:52:22 PM   
MOTH

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought in the end Shatner does take his son's place and has to re-live the torment for eternity? or something like that?

Aye, that does ring a bell alright, but i didn't really understand the body-swapping thing at the time. just the image of the child being abandoned by his father was enough for me.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 141
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 2:21:58 PM   
Workshed

"He cannot be bargained with, he cannot be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely WILL NOT STOP.
EVER! Until you are dead!"

How fucking scary is that - I was about 6 years old.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

Post #: 142
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 3:01:47 PM   
DanCurley

I watched Alien when I was 4 and The Thing when I was 6. Fucked me right up - I still have Alien nightmare every now and then. Cheers Dad.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 143
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 4:51:25 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Workshed

"He cannot be bargained with, he cannot be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely WILL NOT STOP.
EVER! Until you are dead!"

How fucking scary is that - I was about 6 years old.

Hey! With that Resume he could be the next President of the United States of America, baboom!

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 144
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 7:27:59 PM   
The third Jake

The Thing, They Live, The Labrynth and ...Strange but True (ITV).

Post #: 145
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 7:37:46 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: pixiedevil_pop

scared me...

I concur. Although this makes me realise that apparently it was only menacing looking animals that scared the bejesus out of me when I was younger. I think the scariest thing about it when you're younger is that you know you're not understanding it all. There's something behind the film you're too young to grasp.

Anyway to make myself sound a little more human, I was also scared by Robocop, as previously mentioned, and Blood Sport kicked off (excuse the pun) my still strong phobia of broken bones. I can see entrails in a film and not flinch. Show me broken bones and my knees turn to jelly. Can't hack the thought of broken bones.

Urggggh.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 146
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 7:45:33 PM   
Caster

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 147
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 1/4/2008 9:40:50 PM   
Sphinx

....................Ah those bloody tights again, how many more times?!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 148
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 2/4/2008 1:10:06 AM   
Cruisecontroller

Has to be The Omen (1976). I saw it with of all people who should have known better my late Nan! I was 12. She was throughly engrossed and munching away on some fruit whilst I sat opposite her cowering behind a cushion. I was alot more religous and a beleiver then and boy the soundtrack freaked me out. I couldn`t get it out of my head afterwards and was terrified if it kept playing in my head something evil would happen and it would summon the devil. It sounded like devil worshipping music. Certainly one of the very best horror movies ever along with the orgional Shining and the Exorcist which thankfully I didn`t see until I was alot older.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 4/4/2008 11:54:02 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 149
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 2/4/2008 8:01:18 AM   
DanCurley

While not a film, V had its moments, especially when that second baby came out. Was lying in bed shaking with fear after watching that lizardy abomination ermerge from its slumber...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell out of you Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI