Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell out of you

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell out of you Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 9:50:11 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: IMFienne

I was terrified of the transformation scene in Superman 3 where the
woman turns into a robot   Even now I don't think I can watch it, it's so freaky.

God yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Pryor can gurn all he wants, but that scene just ripped the humour out of the film. I refuse to let my son watch it yet for that reason (and also, because it's a bit pants).

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to IMFienne)
Post #: 91
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:01:43 AM   
Tech_Noir

I've never seen Hellraiser, but the video cover always scared me when I went to the video shop.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 92
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 10:22:05 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: IMFienne

I was terrified of the transformation scene in Superman 3 where the
woman turns into a robot   Even now I don't think I can watch it, it's so freaky.

God yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Pryor can gurn all he wants, but that scene just ripped the humour out of the film. I refuse to let my son watch it yet for that reason (and also, because it's a bit pants).

I'll go with that too. That scene absolutely terrified me when I was a youngster!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 93
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 12:39:56 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

The scene in Night Of The Hunter where the preacher (Robert Mitchum) is stalking outside the house where Rachel Cooper (Lilian Gish) is protecting the children, and both are singing Leaning On Jesus.
It frightened the hell out of me when I was 13, and watching it late at night on my own.

That is my favourite Mitchum film of all time. The part where he chases the kids into the lake and howls when he can't catch the boat. Creepy as hell. 

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 94
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 12:45:01 PM   
badassmofo

The bit after the credits in Masters of the Universe where Skeletor rises out of some stuff and says Ill be back!, fucker gave me nightmares for weeks.

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 95
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 12:46:47 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

The part in Twilight Zone The Movie where Dan Akroyd asks the Guy, 'You wanna see something really scary?...' Obvious whats coming next but nearly ruined a good pair of trousers.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 96
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 1:01:04 PM   
hawkeye10

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

The part in Twilight Zone The Movie where Dan Akroyd asks the Guy, 'You wanna see something really scary?...' Obvious whats coming next but nearly ruined a good pair of trousers.

Ha, I nearly forgot about that scene. Even now I can't watch that bit.

Another scene that I still can't watch, is the ending of, I think, Haunted Honeymoon(I hope that's the right film). It is where you see a lovely figure walk down a road and the camera slowly moves in and he whips around showing him to be a (SPOILER) werewolf. Eeeeeek!

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

Post #: 97
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 1:34:01 PM   
Hood_Man

The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

Spoiler (Highlight)

quote:

I swear there's a scene in this film where the dinosaur eats a womans son, who happens to be watching from the sidelines. It was many years ago I admit, so I may not remember all that well, but it still scared me half to death.

Post #: 98
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 2:02:31 PM   
ianwarren

I remember attempting to watch Akira when I was about 10 years old.   I got as far as the first guy getting shot up by the police (about 3 minutes in) before I turned it off and was left scarred for years.    It took me about 8 years to finally pluck up the courage to watch it again!

"If my memory of her has an expiration date, let it be 10000 years"

"Now I don't want to say that kiss was hot, but if the boner police are here I need a lawyer!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 99
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 2:22:21 PM   
igotnewlegs

The scene in The Shining where Jack is getting it on with the young woman in the bathroom that turns into the mouldy old hag who starts cackling.

I think there's a scene in one of the Warlock movies where a guy gets turned into a painting. Scared the shit out of me.

Also the scene in Creepshow where the guy turns into a plant. Yes human's being turned into inanimate objects scares the bejesus out of me.

Also, all of 'The Changling'

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to ianwarren)
Post #: 100
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 2:57:32 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear

I'm scrolling veeeerrrrry slowly down these pages....................

*peeks through fingers*

Impqueen is looking for a poke in the eye with that post of Pennywise...........

Sorry.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 101
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 3:02:21 PM   
lukeyboy

I saw Poltergeist when i was 10 or something and soooo wished i hadn't,.....it still to this day scares the shit out of me!! I can remember my mum having to sit in my room with me all night till i went to sleep. Actually now that i'm reflecting, it seems to be a rather fond memory!

Also, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and The Nanny all scared me half to death when i saw them, ....The Howling would have as well but for all the tits and ass on show......it kinda took the emphasis off Horror for me!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

Post #: 102
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 3:11:19 PM   
Workshed

The Witches, anyone?

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 103
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 3:13:36 PM   
Sally_Ragdoll

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jacks Rage

Okay, putting aside the usual suspects (Freddie, Jason and the like) and going back to when I was really young this flat out scared the fuck out me...

First came these spindly freaks

But what totally traumatized me was this bitch...

and this room...

I seriously couldn't sleep for days.

You and me both. Have never watched the film since!

ET scared the crap outta me when I was little, the bit where Elliot and ET meet each other and ET lets out that real weird scream...

*The Aerosmith Chick*

(in reply to Jacks Rage)
Post #: 104
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 3:13:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

"Chiiiild, is no longer a chiiild. [pause] Chiiild..... IS A MOUSE!"

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 105
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 3:20:44 PM   
philthehippoworrier

Haven't read the entire thread but theres some good suggestions even just on this page. Ive got to agree with Return to Oz, the wheelers in particular terrified me.

I remember being scared as hell by Vigo in Ghostbusters two, especially the bit where his face stretches out of the picture and then snaps back into it when Akroyd looks.

Disney's The Black Hole. I just found the very notion of teetering on the cusp of absolute nothingness to be quite a frightening concept, and the crew of the ship with no faces under their masks.

And the shining. I didn't mean to watch this, but my loveley mum had recorded labyrinth for me one christmas (still one of the greatest kid films ever). Unfortunately she's recorded over the top of the shining and right after the credits rolled their was a brief moment of screen snow and then cut to Jack standing in an overlook corridor approaching the room (213?). The following scene with the woman in the bath prompty scared the breakfast from my bottom.

Anail Nathrakh Urth Vas Bethud Dokhjel Djenve

Post #: 106
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:02:55 PM   
MOTH

The ones i remember are obscure little numbers.

Horror Express (with Vincent Price and Christopher Lee), in which some sort of prehistoric monster comes alive on a Transsiberian Express, scared the balls of me when i accidentally seen a bit of it late one night, especially the bit where the monster creeps up on the sleeping children in their bunks.

There's also the unusual Long Weekend in which Mother Nature turns the tables on a holidaying couple, especially the bit where they are stalked by a dead sea-cow. Just too much for my little mind to cope with.

And there was also a horrible episode of The Ray Bradbury Theatre called The Playground, in which a child is bullied at a local playground. And it starred William Shatner - now that's scary. 

< Message edited by MOTH -- 31/3/2008 4:03:22 PM >

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to philthehippoworrier)
Post #: 107
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:24:13 PM   
livewire

Predator and Aliens scared the Bejesus out of me as a child as did jaws. now all three have pride of place in my all time greatest. Seriously though geigers aliens was the scariest feckin thing in the universe to an 8 year old.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 108
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:27:46 PM   
Tech_Noir

Creeped me out.

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 109
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:32:48 PM   
Kazuya

When I was a kid I used to watch Poltergeist something like once a week with my friends, I think we were around 7 or 8 years old at the time, and we were scared shitless by the film, but that was the fun. I still think it's brilliant.

I hated this little fucker. Actually just looking at the pic gives me a bit of a chill.

And this one's on the graphic side, so I'll just post a link to it. The scene, and the build-up to it, where one of the paranormal investigators is munching on leftovers in the kitchen and suddenly sees the food as being alive with maggots also used to give me the creeps.

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/poltergeist-ripping-face.jpg

And this one, where Craig T. Nelson's character looses his cool and starts tugging on the rope tied to his wife.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 110
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:35:47 PM   
Tech_Noir

Can't find a pic but the original Emperor in Empire.

The voice and look was far scarier than Ian McDiamid's Emperor.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 111
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:44:31 PM   
Kazuya

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 112
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:47:19 PM   
Jacks Rage

quote:

ORIGINAL: philthehippoworrier

Haven't read the entire thread but theres some good suggestions even just on this page. Ive got to agree with Return to Oz, the wheelers in particular terrified me.

I remember being scared as hell by Vigo in Ghostbusters two, especially the bit where his face stretches out of the picture and then snaps back into it when Akroyd looks.

Disney's The Black Hole. I just found the very notion of teetering on the cusp of absolute nothingness to be quite a frightening concept, and the crew of the ship with no faces under their masks.

And the shining. I didn't mean to watch this, but my loveley mum had recorded labyrinth for me one christmas (still one of the greatest kid films ever). Unfortunately she's recorded over the top of the shining and right after the credits rolled their was a brief moment of screen snow and then cut to Jack standing in an overlook corridor approaching the room (213?). The following scene with the woman in the bath prompty scared the breakfast from my bottom.

Yep, this was one of the first movies I remember watching and there were parts of it that were just too creepy for little me to take. Dr. Reinheart at the end (when we see what a wack job he is) scared the crap out of me.

And yes, like you said, the crew in the background of the pic with the "Cobra Commander" style face plates were creepy as fuck. In fact, I still haven't actually watched the scene where the guy removes it (although I haven't seen it since I was a young kid).

Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

(in reply to philthehippoworrier)
Post #: 113
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:52:17 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

And there was also a horrible episode of The Ray Bradbury Theatre called The Playground, in which a child is bullied at a local playground. And it starred William Shatner - now that's scary. 

I thought that was the Twilight Zone Series? but yes, that was bloody scary. Did it not have a really downbeat ending? ie Shatner's child was getting bullied by the ghosts of the kids that kicked the bejesus out of him?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 114
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:55:16 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

When I was a kid I used to watch Poltergeist something like once a week with my friends, I think we were around 7 or 8 years old at the time, and we were scared shitless by the film, but that was the fun. I still think it's brilliant.

I hated this little fucker. Actually just looking at the pic gives me a bit of a chill.

And this one's on the graphic side, so I'll just post a link to it. The scene, and the build-up to it, where one of the paranormal investigators is munching on leftovers in the kitchen and suddenly sees the food as being alive with maggots also used to give me the creeps.

Already mentioned that one. I hated that part as a kid. From the squelching chicken leg to the face ripping -nasty as hell.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 115
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 4:58:57 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

I've already mentioned Twilight Zone The Movie, but is anyone else freaked out by the Joe Dante, Cartoon Boy segment with the sister sitting glued to the TV with no mouth?
That still makes me shiver.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 116
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 5:47:55 PM   
matty_b

Good call on Ghostwatch - I was 11 at the time and didn't sleep at all that night. The moment where the camera pans across the bedroom, sees a shadowy figure in front of the curtains, whips back only for it to be gone had me hanging off the ceiling.

It took me 4 attempts to watch The Shining as a child - I kept turning off when the twins started appearing

Poltergeist - everything about it. The clown doll, the maggots, the tree, the mother being attacked in the bedroom just when you think it's over.

Clash of the Titans - Medusa, but also the giant scorpions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 117
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 6:32:29 PM   
kid_eh

Chuckie was scary for me, it put me off dolls for life.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 118
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 6:50:37 PM   
coolkirstie

i know i was quite disappointed because they had jokes but u did get a bit boring and well i prefer most of the episodes that the actual film

(in reply to vish96)
Post #: 119
RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell ou... - 31/3/2008 8:07:36 PM   
Sway

I love how the majority of films on here so far are horrors, so it's completely acceptable to have been scared by them, especially as kids.  I'm going to embarrass myself by revealing what royally disturbed me as a kid - not scared me, just deeply disturbed and upset me. Even now I get the heebies when I watch it.

Watership Down.

Can you blame me though? It features one of the scariest Generals in any films I've ever seen.

General Woundwort.....

< Message edited by Sway -- 31/3/2008 8:09:03 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to coolkirstie)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Movies you watched as a kid that scared the hell out of you Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI