Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 1:52:58 PM   
Caster

Another rather bland teen series enlivened only by the presence of the lovely Blake Lively.  Spoiled rich girl learns the error of her ways and becomes a good person...cha, right!
Post #: 1
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 2:10:00 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I did enjoy the OC but this looked like a girl only zone by the trailer. Also I'd only bee jealous of all the rich little runts moaning bout so and so.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 2
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 3:23:40 PM   
The Mighty

I loved The O.C, and I've been keeping up with Gossip Girl on US Speed, but I think the program is too inconsistent. Sometimes it's pretty fun, but a lot of the time I'm left disappointed. Too many of the characters annoy me, Dan Humphrey especially, and it struggles to find a good balance of trashy fun and trashy... dull? The show almost lost me during the middle of the season, but it ended kind of strong. Josh Schwartz can do a lot better than this, just check out Chuck or the early and last season of The O.C.

Edit: Forgot to mention, as much as I love Kristen Bell, the Gossip Girl voice over is by far the worst thing in the show. The things they make her say are ridiculous. And just watch this CW promo to see if the show would be your type of thing.

< Message edited by The Mighty -- 29/3/2008 3:27:32 PM >

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 3
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 3:47:01 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Spot on Mighty give that man a pat on the back.  My thoughts exactly but I've only seen the pilot.  Bell's voice over was annoying and laughable and yet I love veronica mars.  The show is very girly and very formulamatic.  Just hope it improves as season 1 and 4 of the OC were really good

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 4
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 4:16:22 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

Edit: Forgot to mention, as much as I love Kristen Bell, the Gossip Girl voice over is by far the worst thing in the show. The things they make her say are ridiculous. And just watch this CW promo to see if the show would be your type of thing.

See, I love Gossip Girl but I have to agree there, I got a little more used to it as the season went on but Jesus is it just pointless.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 5
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 4:26:36 PM   
mustbebunnies

Ive only seent the pilot, but I thought it was going to be a bit more tongue in cheek for some reason. Seems at the minute its gonna take itself a bit seriously for what it is. Also none of the characters really stood out for me.Ill give it a go though, as I do love my trashy TV

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 6
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 7:58:45 PM   
JV

I've just watched this on the ITV2 repeat and I really enjoyed it, far more than I thought I would. I hate programmes like The OC that revolve around spoilt rich kids but liked this. The only thing is I thought they all looked too old to be in high school, even bearing in mind the US's graduation age of 18.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 7
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 29/3/2008 10:43:27 PM   
matthewforan

Saw this for the first time earlier today and having really enjoyed the OC apart from season 3 I was going to keep an open mind but I was really disappointed I'll maybe watch a couple more episodes but I think that might be it. I'm just off IMDB and it's only got 13 episodes so I don't know if it's been cancelled or if it was just to do with the strike but if the rest of the episodes are like the one I saw today then it deserves to be cancelled.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 8
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 30/3/2008 1:04:56 PM   
Citizen Dildo

I really enjoyed the pilot, albeit a bit predictable and formulaic.  Slightly disappointed to hear there are only 13 episodes so far but take it that is strike related?

Anyway Im also a huge OC fan but would disagree with the guys above - I thought seasons 3 & 4 were terrible after an amazing season 1.  Hopefully season 1 of Gossip Girl can come close to the OC at it's best.

You've gotta love these trashy soaps with impossibly gorgeous people and their vacous lives!!

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 9
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 30/3/2008 1:52:54 PM   
theoriginalcynic

It's been granted a season 2 (see wiki) Hope it gets better as it's about 5% the show that the OC was during season 1

(in reply to Citizen Dildo)
Post #: 10
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 30/3/2008 1:59:48 PM   
Citizen Dildo

Have you seen the whole season cynic?

Maybe Im just channelling my need for an OC-like fix into appreciation for Gossip Girl, but I thought the pilot was really promising.  Or maybe Im just in love with the chick playing Blair.

No new show is gonna match up with OC season 1, but then the genius of Seth Cohen is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 11
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 30/3/2008 2:05:02 PM   
theoriginalcynic

No I've only seen the pilot but I'm comparing it to the OC pilot

Post #: 12
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 31/3/2008 12:02:36 AM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Dildo

Have you seen the whole season cynic?

Maybe Im just channelling my need for an OC-like fix into appreciation for Gossip Girl, but I thought the pilot was really promising.  Or maybe Im just in love with the chick playing Blair.

No new show is gonna match up with OC season 1, but then the genius of Seth Cohen is unlikely to be repeated anytime soon.

I've seen the season so far, and it's nothing compared to The O.C. I don't mind Blair, I think she gets a lot better as the season goes on, but I can't stand Dan. I don't particularly like any of the characters. Jenny is probably the best out of the lot.

Post #: 13
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 2/4/2008 6:08:32 AM   
Monef

I love GG, but it is very inconsistent. Hopefully, the kinks have been worked out and the next season is a lot more even. When they get it right, I enjoy it far more than the OC Seasons 2/3 but when it is bad, it is boring. A big part of the apppeal of GG for me though is that I live in New York city, so that probably helps a lot. Yes, people really are that vapid and pretentious.

"You gonna help, huh? You gonna look out for me?"
"You gonna look out for me, Sergeant Carver? Do you mean it? You gonna look out for me? You promise? You got my back, huh?"

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 14
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 5/4/2008 1:28:55 PM   
Citizen Dildo

Decent 2nd episode I thought.

Is it just me or is Blair the double of Lyla from Friday Night Lights??????

Nice to see that the creators kept the OC formula of "get all the characters together at some social event and watch them fight".  Join the dots style conflict.

(in reply to Monef)
Post #: 15
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 5/4/2008 5:15:28 PM   
princessa

I've been watching this on US speed...new episodes start on 21st April...the pilot i found very disappointing and rather dull imo.  Serena Van Woodsen came across as whiney and Blair a nasty catty so and so...but please people stick with the show it does get better...

As for ep2...okay but again nothing special...

BTW the voice over doesn't bother me...i think it's a nice touch...so far this season my favourite character's have been Serena and Dan.

As for comparisons to the OC...i would say the OC season1 was much faster paced than GG...GG has taken a while to build up and get going.  I can't help noticing certain similarities between the two programmes...Dan is Seth Cohen the outsider who has a crush on a girl he thinks he can never have.  The social gatherings where the all the characters get together and where someone fights...like in ep1 where Dan punches Chuck...like Ryan punched Luke (Marissa's boyfriend) @the beach party in ep1 of the OC.

Haven't seen the series in a while so it's nice now to be able to catch up....

Post #: 16
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 6/4/2008 1:33:54 AM   
Sally_Ragdoll

I really don't like shows like this, (I hated the OC) so I can't believe I'm watching it...

And I'm not fussed about the voiceover either.

*The Aerosmith Chick*

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 17
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 6/4/2008 11:10:00 AM   
theoriginalcynic

The second ep was a huge improvement over the pilot (what is it with crap pilots these days? See Moonlight) which grow into decent series.  It's like Cruel Intentions the series so far and I like that

(in reply to Sally_Ragdoll)
Post #: 18
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 6/4/2008 11:51:48 AM   
matthewforan

The second episode is a much better episode, not sure why the guy went in such a huff over Serena having sex with someone but i'm sure it will be explained. The voiceover is horrid

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 19
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 7/4/2008 9:27:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've just seen the first episode and I quite liked it. With all the OC comparisons, I probably liked it a little less than I did the pilot of The Oc (which I only started to watch last year, but was very quickly addicted to). I'll keep an eye on Gossip Girl, see how it goes.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 20
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 7/4/2008 10:29:17 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

The second episode is a much better episode, not sure why the guy went in such a huff over Serena having sex with someone but i'm sure it will be explained. The voiceover is horrid

Agreed. Damn addictive stuff though. I keep asking myself "What will Serena do next?!?" and that ridiculous voice is in my head stating "It's your move Serena..."

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Post #: 21
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 10/4/2008 11:16:16 AM   
Blunderbuss

Even though I am so not the target demographic for this show (not being female and 25 or younger) I am finding it to be strangely compelling.  Not sure why since I was never a fan of the OC.  Maybe because its almost deliberately not 'hip' (minimal post-modernism, no geek-baiting comic book referencing), all the characters, 'good' & 'bad' have some shading to them, none of them are too doe-eyed & tortured and there is a Great Gatsby vibe to the show's milieu.  Whatever the reason I'm enjoying it in a 'brain in neutral' 'something to watch on Sky+ on Sunday afternoon' sort of way.

And yes, they all look too old to be in high-school and the VO is terrible....

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 22
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 18/5/2008 5:30:28 PM   
a_mite_whimsical

whilst I am in the target demographic (18 year old girl), I was never a fan of the OC, and surprised myself by seriously enjoying gossip girl. I've ended up watching it religiously, scouring the net for plot details and interviews, and generally just living/breathing/sleeping GG. yes, the voiceover is horrendous, yes, life on the upper east side is seemingly formulaic and vacuous....but who cares when you have chuck bass?
I think I'm in love.

Blair: You're disgusting
Chuck: Yes, I am...So why be shy?

Member of COBW

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 23
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 18/5/2008 9:46:54 PM   
matthewforan

I've been watching this every week now and it is getting better, I don't really know who but it's somehow got under my skin.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to a_mite_whimsical)
Post #: 24
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 19/5/2008 9:59:21 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

It's the Blair and Chuck thing that's doing it for me. Very intriguing! But I'm getting pretty tired of Nat's whining etc etc. Grow some balls, dude.

Post #: 25
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 19/5/2008 3:21:13 PM   
a_mite_whimsical

I agree, Blair and Chuck are really great together.

That limo scene was HOT

x

Blair: You're disgusting
Chuck: Yes, I am...So why be shy?

Member of COBW

Post #: 26
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 14/8/2008 11:48:20 AM   
Sally_Ragdoll

Season 2 premieres in the US in September (possibly January for us)

Anyone going to be tuning in?

*The Aerosmith Chick*

(in reply to a_mite_whimsical)
Post #: 27
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 14/8/2008 1:52:27 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I will be (probably). I thought the first series ended well, if not pretty somber. No surprise Chuck got cold feet in spending the summer with Blair. Glad she's back on the ball though

Post #: 28
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 14/8/2008 1:59:21 PM   
Sally_Ragdoll

I knew Chuck wouldn't stay that way for long, although it seems a pity as Blair and he suit each other.

But, oh my, you know the song Every Time that Lincoln Hawk perform in 1x17?
I need that song - I love it so much!

*The Aerosmith Chick*

Post #: 29
RE: Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed - 14/8/2008 2:07:07 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Can't you download it off iTunes?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Gossip Girl - ITV2 Speed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI