Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 7:04:49 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamevilhomer!

exactly...joss whedon must have thought, hey this show is so boring the arse off me lets in that case have a laugh and make a silent episode and a musical one too..! no thanks. moonlighting used to try this sort of nonsense nearly a decade earlier so it was nothing new. Also it just undermines any credibility that this show may have had even if it is supposed to be fantasy.
face facts, whether youve seen the wire or not (i guess you haven't because buffy (buffy!? even the name makes me laugh) would soon slide down the list if you guys had) it is without doubt THE MOST REALISTIC, INNOVATIVE, ORIGINAL, DISTURBING, THOUGHT PROVOKING, FUNNY, MOVING, GRIPPING, BEST ACTED show ever transmitted on earth.

Sorry Homer but you've just lost all credibilty with that crazy comment.  Has the wire convinced people to name their children after lead charachters? I've heard of a few girls been named Buffy in the UK and guys been called Xander ect... and you can't put friggin' moonlighting in the same league.   Fantasy shows often play with the format that's why people love them so much.  You actually get to see something new on TV instead of the same formula every week

(in reply to iamevilhomer!)
Post #: 181
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 7:08:23 PM   
mustbebunnies

the fact is, I'm guessing everyone voted for their favourite shows, yes?I know I did. I voted for what I watch and love. There probably are, for example, better, sharper comedies than Scrubs and Friends, there are probably a million programmes that 'look' better than Spaced. But I know I didnt sit there and pick my choices apart and compare them to everything else. Most of the time that would be pointless (eg, comparing something like the Simpsons to something like The Wire).If everyone had had to sit down and write a critical essay on each of their choices for Empire to read through and judge, maybe the list would have been different (although I doubt it tbh). And I reckon that the likes of The Simpsons, Buffy and The Sopranos will still be near the top in 10/20 years.

I also dont see the problem with voting for things you've 'grown up' with. If you've related to something, and its had an effect on you, surely that warrants it a place in your favourites. And sorry, but I'm gonna bring up Buffy again. I was probably its target audience whe it started, about 12/13. But I used to sit and watch it with my mum, who, surprisingly enough, was a fair bit older. So yes, I did grow up with it (alot of the show was *about* growing up), and it had a massive effect on me, and still does. I still watch it and get something out of it. To be honest, i dont understand how even if you people dont like the show themselves, they cant at least (even grudgingly) admit that it was one of the most intelligent shows around (well, maybe apart from Beer Bad).

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 182
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 7:11:26 PM   
mustbebunnies

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

quote:

exactly...joss whedon must have thought, hey this show is so boring the arse off me lets in that case have a laugh and make a silent episode and a musical one too..! no thanks. moonlighting used to try this sort of nonsense nearly a decade earlier so it was nothing new. Also it just undermines any credibility that this show may have had even if it is supposed to be fantasy.
face facts, whether youve seen the wire or not (i guess you haven't because buffy (buffy!? even the name makes me laugh) would soon slide down the list if you guys had) it is without doubt THE MOST REALISTIC, INNOVATIVE, ORIGINAL, DISTURBING, THOUGHT PROVOKING, FUNNY, MOVING, GRIPPING, BEST ACTED show ever transmitted on earth.

Sorry Homer but you've just lost all credibilty with that crazy comment.  Has the wire convinced people to name their children after lead charachters? I've heard of a few girls been named Buffy in the UK and guys been called Xander ect... and you can't put friggin' moonlighting in the same league.   Fantasy shows often play with the format that's why people love them so much.  You actually get to see something new on TV instead of the same formula every week

I may be wrong, but from that quote it sounds like you havent actually seen Hush (the silent episode)? Whatever you think of it, for a show famed for its dialogue, doing a silent episode is a bloomin brave move. Its also pretty darn creepy! (that bit at the window makes me jump every time..)

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 183
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 7:55:11 PM   
MattJW

"Doctor Who: 2005-Present".

That's funny. I thought the show started in 1963.......

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 184
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 9:04:55 PM   
pgtipsp

i dont see why people are whaling on empire when its a publice vote - im glad to see the browncoats getting firefly to a good position, but i better stop there before i dissolve into a mushy pile of fanboy goo

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 185
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 9:06:08 PM   
elab49

quote:

Well it is easy enough to knock this on the head.

I had The Wire at number 1. I even agree with virtually all of those superlatives.

I also watched Buffy from epi 1 (which already in my 20s) and also rate it very high on my list. Some of the best dialogue ever written in that show. From repartee harking back to screwball days to the painful emotions of masterpiece epis like The Body. Hush was simply amazing. 

And I bow to no-one in my admiration of The Wire. But liking one show doesn't immediately stop the inability to appreciate others for their excellent qualities too.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 186
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 9:42:21 PM   
Sphinx

I feel like an eejit not voting on this because.....................STARSKY AND HUTCH WERE NOWHERE TO BE SEEN!! NYPD blue anyone? A-team?????

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

Post #: 187
RE: CARNIVALE!!! - 29/3/2008 9:42:32 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: indy2606

Where the F*CK is carnivale?!?!?! That was the best show ever. They still need to make an episode 3!
Everybody who voted here, has to see that show! Really really really really good!!!

I hear that, brother. That show is mindblowing.

But why is Heroes 15th, Lost 5th and The Prisoner not even in the Top 50?!?  Maybe more people should have thought past 1985.

(P.S. Where was Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? I voted for it....)

< Message edited by Olaf -- 29/3/2008 9:49:21 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to indy2606)
Post #: 188
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 9:52:09 PM   
IzzieStevens

Six Feet Under should be in the top5 and Lost in the number 1 ... ande where is Greys?

Post #: 189
RE: CARNIVALE!!! - 29/3/2008 9:56:00 PM   
mustbebunnies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: indy2606

Where the F*CK is carnivale?!?!?! That was the best show ever. They still need to make an episode 3!
Everybody who voted here, has to see that show! Really really really really good!!!

I hear that, brother. That show is mindblowing.

But why is Heroes 15th, Lost 5th and The Prisoner not even in the Top 50?!?  Maybe more people should have thought past 1985.

(P.S. Where was Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? I voted for it....)

good call  in my top 10, but missed out on my top 5. Brilliant, and they detail they put into the dvd was great.

'She was like a candle in the wind...unreliable...'  

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 190
RE: CARNIVALE!!! - 29/3/2008 10:41:45 PM   
Olaf

The One Track Lover song is peerless 

Also forgot - No Northern Exposure? Sure, it was crap for the last two seasons - but The Simpsons has been crap for the last eight seasons...And no Kung-Fu ..I'm not even 20 but I feel so old...

< Message edited by Olaf -- 29/3/2008 10:48:09 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 191
RE: CARNIVALE!!! - 29/3/2008 11:01:21 PM   
Hellboys_Left_Hand

I'm actually ashamed to call myself an Empire Reader looking at this list, what an absolute joke.

Fawlty Towers, far too low
Where on earth are Chris Morris and Steve Coogan?
The Wire below 24 and Lost my God people
Friends above Seinfeld
Buffy The Vampire Slayer at No.2! I'm not a regular on the forum so is this a joke sort of like the 'get Jedi declared an official religion' sort of thing, if I look around will I find a thread telling people to vote for Buffy because it'll be funny
The Simpsons at no. 1 YAWN, get an imagination and take of those spectacles
NO HOUSE, Does anyone who reads Empire have anything other than channels BBC 1, 2, ITV and C4?

I hope Empire doesn't decide to print this.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 192
RE: CARNIVALE!!! - 29/3/2008 11:28:01 PM   
JamesMcManus1

Firstly i do apologize mods for starting a similar thread...genuinly couldn't find one, but i have seen the error of my ways now!
I'd like to say that where are Peep Show, I'm Alan Partridge, Brass Eye and even Garth Marenghi's Dark Place...the online readership reared its ugly head with the heavy sci-fi bias to the list and little reward for comedy programmes other than the expected ones!

Dexter better than Fawlty Towers - not on your nelly!

Life on Mars - better than Only Fools and Horses and Band of Brothers - albeit a good show and worthy of a top 50 but ahead of these 2 classics, really don't see how!

Red Dwarf - 26th - beggars belief, even empire's mini blurb on it is hardly glowing!

Heroes above Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Office - surely not

and as several may already know my view on Buffy- top 50 yes, top 2 how the hell did that happen!

It's clear there's a real bias towards what's on tv now...with Heroes and Lost way overrated in favour of classics like Fawlty Towers and Frasier...these are good programmes, but they are spun out for more series than they are worth simply to make money,and with neither of them concluded yet, to place them so high seems very premature to me.

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to Hellboys_Left_Hand)
Post #: 193
RE: CARNIVALE!!! - 29/3/2008 11:29:08 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I don't agree with a lot on the list but can't argue with The Simpsons as number 1. It's unbeatable when it's in it's prime. I'd have died of happiness if Carnivale had made the list, it's one of my favourite shows.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 194
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 12:41:23 AM   
jediesque

At risk of sounding old, gay, and staunchly british (when in fact I am only 28 and, er, well, the other two are correct), I am amazed that some really quite average American TV was chosen by some people, at the expense of four of the best british television efforts of the last ten years;

Absolutely Fabulous
This Life
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Bleak House

I'm almost certain I wasn't the only person to enjoy these programmes.

Are our memories so short that we require either endless reruns on Sky One and Channel 4 (as is the case for most of the programmes on the list) or multiple special fantastic edition re-remastered re-release dvd boxsets (as is the case for the remainder of the list) to remember 'great' tv shows?

Or am I really that old...?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 195
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 2:13:14 AM   
MattJW

Erm.... nobody has picked up on my previous comment yet.

Empire has described Doctor Who as a "2005-Present" series. Totally (dude) ignoring the previous 42 years. We are talking about The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time.... aren't we? Since when did Doctor Who become a new programme? I thought it was a "classic ongoing series"!!

David Tennant is good - but he's only the 10th Doctor in a long series of Whoish dudes.

I will now get me scarf. But it had to be said..... that's all.

(in reply to jediesque)
Post #: 196
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 3:00:24 AM   
sxmcwhi

Freaks and Geeks?

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 197
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 3:05:36 AM   
sacred_hoops

Now I know that the List of the top 50 TV shows is no an easy feat and I really wanted to withhold judgement since there are so many factors to take into consideration especially given the huge diversity and cult status'
But, to miss: Dawsons Creek (well maybe) Smallville and more importantly Oz, is a huge error.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 198
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 3:16:43 AM   
MattJW

quote:

ORIGINAL: sxmcwhi

Freaks and Geeks?

Yep. Lots of them on here!

(in reply to sxmcwhi)
Post #: 199
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 6:32:34 AM   
blue hannah

I know I should have better things to do than complain about this poll, but really...... why aren't more people asking where the hell House was?! Even if this poll was a "popularity contest", House is pretty popular right now, aside from being one of the best TV programmes for years. It's certainly better than Angel and Buffy...... There, rant over.

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 200
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 10:31:15 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: blue hannah

I know I should have better things to do than complain about this poll, but really...... why aren't more people asking where the hell House was?! Even if this poll was a "popularity contest", House is pretty popular right now, aside from being one of the best TV programmes for years. It's certainly better than Angel and Buffy...... There, rant over.

I guess because a fun performance from Laurie aside it is a condition of a week show no better or worse than heaven knows how many others. Not new, not unique, and not really watched by that many people over here because once you've seen a couple that's enough - unless there is a compilation of House in the clinic somewhere.

Great show - lord, no. Favourite show? Well - clearly not.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to blue hannah)
Post #: 201
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 12:19:28 PM   
Gator MacReady

The main problem with this list is that is is no more than a popularity contest. It's the readers who have voted and the readers clearly cannot remember anything further back than 1990. There are dozens of classic TV shows that have been left out by people not old enough to remember them. This speaks volumes of modern taste.

RE: Spaced

"each episode was little more than a collection of film and TV references strung together on an unlikely plot"

That is EXACTLY what the horribly overrated SOTD and Hot Fuzz are. 20 years ago a film like that would have been struck with rotten tomatoes. Today, in a time of diluted standards and X-Factor mentality, it's loved by people who have no idea what a truly good movie is.

All spoofs must die. Be they Meet the Spartans or your piece of crap Hot Fuzz.

Post #: 202
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 1:15:09 PM   
bobthegrinch

A lot of the bitching on here seems to be fans of a particular genre disagreeing with fans of another. Mainly cop show fans and sci-fi fans.

The main problem I have is people slagging off Buffy. It may initially have been marketed towards a younger audience but it didn't pick up an exclusively young audience. In fact the more hardcore contigent of it's fans are adult. People seem to be ridiculing it because of the premise or whatever. This is simply ridiculous. To ridicule a show because its premise includes super heroes and monsters but then consider a show like Heroes brilliance, how's that work? At the end of the day Buffy features very sharp writing, good acting and frequently focuses on the human issues such as confronting death, responsibility, sexuality alongside it's more supernatural stories. The quality was more or less maintained for 7 years and it gained it's popularity without the same level of hype and over the top praise that shows today get, being hailed as classic as soon as they come out. It's proving to be standing the test of time already. You may not like the show yourself but I bet most of you enjoy more ridiculous programs and suspend your disbelief when it suits. I saw a documentary about fantasy on bbc 4 the other week and it addressed the fact that fantasy, despite being as well written and addressing issues with often more intelligence than straight forward real world set counterparts, is often written off as being silly by those ignorant to it's quality. What I'm reading here seems to be exactly that.

Would've been nice to see The Royle Family and Sharpe get on there because their quality matches anything on this list.

(in reply to Gator MacReady)
Post #: 203
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 2:02:49 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

I guess because a fun performance from Laurie aside it is a condition of a week show no better or worse than heaven knows how many others. Not new, not unique, and not really watched by that many people over here because once you've seen a couple that's enough - unless there is a compilation of House in the clinic somewhere.

And it's not even as good as Scrubs which it rips off.  See the episode of scrubs where they Acknowledge this.  Btw Grey's does the same thing

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 204
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 2:51:51 PM   
Hellboys_Left_Hand

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

And it's not even as good as Scrubs which it rips off.  See the episode of scrubs where they Acknowledge this.  Btw Grey's does the same thing

You're mad and an idiot. How on earth does House rip off Scrubs, it's set in a hospital. That's about the only comparison I can make. Also I'm sick to death of people claiming Scrubs to be the best thing ever when quite frankly aside from the opening 2 seasons it is totally appaling. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until the total debacle that has been the final season, if anyones seen it they'll know what I mean, some of the worst television writing I've ever seen. It also helps to highlight how Scrubs far more than House is just the same thing over and over again, there's no consistancy in the characters, the constant repetition of their flaws paints everyone as a complete twat, and the stupid neccessity to wrap up every episode with a little montage is completely tiresome. Scrubs is written by idiots.
House on the other hand is genius and S1 of it is the best season of a television show ever imo. People who strip it down just saying it's the same thing over and over again clearly haven't watched more than 3 episodes. The hook of the show, the introduction of a new patient and the diagnostic process, is just a backdrop to the development of the characters, their back stories and various other story arcs. If all you're seeing is a new patient who gets diagnosed each week then you're clearly missing the point.

< Message edited by Hellboys_Left_Hand -- 30/3/2008 2:53:38 PM >

Post #: 205
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 3:21:33 PM   
Deacon Frost

Buffy the sodding Vampire slayer! Above the Soprano's....ha ha ha. Is this list for real?

By the way, where was Moonlighting? A show that pretty much re-wrote the rule book in terms of comedy writing.

Our friends in the North, Brotherhood and Weeds were all conspicuous by their absence

Post #: 206
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 3:23:41 PM   
Hellboys_Left_Hand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deacon Frost

Buffy the sodding Vampire slayer! Above the Soprano's....ha ha ha. Is this list for real?

By the way, where was Moonlighting? A show that pretty much re-wrote the rule book in terms of comedy writing.

Our friends in the North, Brotherhood and Weeds were all conspicuous by their absence

Weeds is terrific and should definately be in there, just goes to highlight that people are voting for what they can regularly watch (Buffy was on BBC2 at 6pm for years) Weeds is given a pretty terrible slot on Sky so not many people will have seen it. It explains why The Wire is so low as well.

(in reply to Deacon Frost)
Post #: 207
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 3:37:12 PM   
Kase

there should be an asterisk next to The Simpsons. The Simpsons 1991-1995/96 is one of the best TV shows ever. The Simpsons for the last 10 years or so certainly has to be some of the worst TV ever. I dont see how a tv show with more bad episodes then good can be considered #1.

& who the hell decided the episode where Homer weighs 300lbs is the best episode? Any of the episodes from season 3, 4 or 5 are better....

Post #: 208
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 3:40:36 PM   
debz0717

Photobucket

Wow I had no idea there were so many whining idiots out there.  I especially like all of you going, oh my god my favorite show didn't make the list, how did I not know it was time to vote??? When people cast a vote, you don't always get what you want... that's why it's a vote & not a definitive list.  As for you all being pissed at how it came out & wanting Empire not to have submitted it because it didn't read how you wanted it to, well that's just stupid. Think to yourselves for just a second about that statement & I'm sure you will realize it's stupidity.  If not, call your sponsor cuz you need help.
Now, let's get to Buffy being #2 which seems to be a big problem with you people.  I'm not going to tell you that you have to watch it the "right way", I'm not even going to tell you that you have to like it - cuz that would also be pretty stupid.  What I am going to tell you is that all the people I know that watch Buffy are in their 30s at least.  I didn't start watching Buffy until my mid-20s and there are episodes I still won't let my kids watch, like Smashed. So there goes your "it's a kids show" argument right out the window. Bad writing, bad acting?  Guess that's your opinion, and it's wrong :)  Buffy has more episodes throught it's existence that people still talk about & discuss & refer to after being off the air FOR FIVE YEARS.  I hear a Buffy quote just about every day.  I hear someone talking in "Buffyspeak" just about every day... hell, there's something called A BUFFYVERSE.  Is there a Houseverse or a Moonlightingverse or any other verse?  No?  Didn't think so.  If you're saying you dont like the show, fine that's your opinion & you're entitled to it, but don't say another word if you haven't watched episodes 1-144.  I've done it - at least a few times & enjoyed every freakin minute.  That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.

Also, I do like House, but it's getting old. Every freakin episode someone comes in with some weird symptom, House & his team get involved, they try the wrong thing a few times, House breaks the rules to try the wrong thing & almost kills the patient, and then EUREKA! he figures out its chicken pox or measles or some everyday lameass disease & he fixes it & the patient goes home happy.  They've got to start mixing it up some or I'll be one of the ones that doesn't watch anymore.

The thing about changing the world... Once you do it, the world's all different...

(in reply to Deacon Frost)
Post #: 209
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/3/2008 4:07:08 PM   
Olaf

Welcome to the forum, Debz 
You make a good point. But that doesn't make up for no DARKPLACE!!

(in reply to debz0717)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI