Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:02:07 PM   
iamevilhomer!

I never said that those other shows are necessarily bad or not enjoyable, Smallville in its infancy especially was ok and ive watched alot of other shows in the same kind of throwaway manner. The thing is out of literally thousands of shows we're trying to whittle down the top one hundred. All I'm saying is that the programmes I mention, although I may have watched them, DO NOT warrant being in the top one hundred, let alone the top ten. 

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 151
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:03:34 PM   
matty_b

Fair enough original cynic, fair enough...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to iamevilhomer!)
Post #: 152
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:05:49 PM   
theoriginalcynic

But these kind of things are always gonna be popularity votes.  Look at UGO's top 50 shows - Buffy is number one damn you must hate that.  We can argue that it's too modern or that TV is just getting better.  It's up to you...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36195

http://www.ugo.com/tv/top50tvshows/

“Buffy,” “Sopranos” and “Simpsons” are the market-leaders. They are the only three that made the Empire and UGO top-10 lists, as well as Time’s 2007 all-time 100. (All three also made TV Guide’s 2002 top-50 list -- if you want to throw a list from the pre-“Wire” era into the mix).
Note that nine of Empire’s top 10, “The Simpsons,” “Buffy The Vampire Slayer,” “The Sopranos,” “The West Wing,” “Lost,” “24,” “Friends,” “The Wire” and “The X-Files,” all made Time’s all-time Top-100 list last year. (“Spaced” was the only component of Empire’s top 10 absent from Time’s 100.)

Post #: 153
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:08:02 PM   
BarryC8

If youve wathed all of farscape then you'll have to agree its top 10 easily

Anyway Empire you have it wrong on the Friends page:
"Phoebe is the most promiscuous Friend. The only one of the group she hasn't kissed is Monica."

Rachel has actually kissed all 5 members of the friends gang so she is infact the most promiscuous Friend

Obviously kissed Ross
Dadted Joey
Kissed Monica to get back the apartment
Kissed Pheobe when she met with her high school friend
Kissed Chandler at a party while he was in College

so yeah there you go

< Message edited by BarryC8 -- 29/3/2008 4:13:27 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 154
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:08:03 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Fair enough original cynic, fair enough...

Nice that we can get along  

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 155
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:16:02 PM   
iamevilhomer!

I wouldn't ever click on Harry Knowles' site (thus adding to his coffers). He seems to champion any old crap. I will apologise however on my 'idiots' comment as it was completely uncalled for. Its just that I am just fed up with the majority of people (and your stats back this up) seem to prefer all these mediocre, by the numbers shows. I aint saying they're bad its just annoying when they consistantly being voted in the top of all these lists, when there are clearly so many superior shows out there..I must admit I too enjoy the shield, but don't be fooled 'the wire' is a completely different beast to anything out there. I only discovered it last year and kind of wish i didn't as nothing I've watched even comes close.

Post #: 156
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:28:33 PM   
MrChaplin

Do Empire readers not watch British telly these days?  Surely there was room in the list for some of these:

Drama: Shameless, Prime Suspect, Spooks, Sharpe, Morse, State of Play, Bodies, The Lakes, Skins - or older stuff like The Avengers, The Professionals, The Sweeney, I Claudius, Boys from the Black Suff, Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Comedy: Peep Show, Green Wing, Phoenix Nights, The Thick of It, Cold Feet, Black Books, The Fast Show, Alan Partdridge, Peolple Like Us, Reeves and Mortimer, - or older one such as The Young Ones, Dad's Army, Likely Lads, Porridge, Allo Allo

I'm not anti-American, I like a lot of American things, but the handful of British programmes I just thought of from the top of my head are, I think, as good as or better than their illustrious, and usually more glamorous American counterparts. e.g

Spy drama: 24 or Spooks - I think a draw
Trendy-young-professional comedy - Cold Feet beats Friends every time
Medical comedy - Green Wing beats Scrubs
Medical drama - ER or Bodies - maybe a draw
Working class comedy/drama - Phoenix Nights and Shameless are in a class of their own, I can't even think of an American equivalent, My Name is Earl maybe

Just a few thoughts.

Post #: 157
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:30:41 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Welcome to the forum Iamhomer  The shield is a fine show and I will have to buyb the wire when cash allows me to

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 29/3/2008 4:31:22 PM >

Post #: 158
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:33:30 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrChaplin

Do Empire readers not watch British telly these days?  Surely there was room in the list for some of these:

Drama: Shameless, Prime Suspect, Spooks, Sharpe, Morse, State of Play, Bodies, The Lakes, Skins - or older stuff like The Avengers, The Professionals, The Sweeney, I Claudius, Boys from the Black Suff, Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Comedy: Peep Show, Green Wing, Phoenix Nights, The Thick of It, Cold Feet, Black Books, The Fast Show, Alan Partdridge, Peolple Like Us, Reeves and Mortimer, - or older one such as The Young Ones, Dad's Army, Likely Lads, Porridge, Allo Allo

I'm not anti-American, I like a lot of American things, but the handful of British programmes I just thought of from the top of my head are, I think, as good as or better than their illustrious, and usually more glamorous American counterparts. e.g

Spy drama: 24 or Spooks - I think a draw
Trendy-young-professional comedy - Cold Feet beats Friends every time
Medical comedy - Green Wing beats Scrubs
Medical drama - ER or Bodies - maybe a draw
Working class comedy/drama - Phoenix Nights and Shameless are in a class of their own, I can't even think of an American equivalent, My Name is Earl maybe

Just a few thoughts.

Now this is just wrong  Oh ok I know it's your opinion.  I can only speak for myself but I rarely watch any British TV - I grew up watching US telly output on UK TV and I still do... I need the glamour

(in reply to MrChaplin)
Post #: 159
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:36:15 PM   
curlybean

How could you forget Jericho?  It is by far the best show on TV ever.  No other show could be half as good.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 160
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:40:16 PM   
johnmcclane

The best Simpsons episode has to be the one where they go to New York
Crab juice Crab juice
Refreshing Crab juice

I wouldn't have made a good ninja anyway

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 161
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:42:54 PM   
iamevilhomer!

tuned out halfway thru 1st episode of jericho. I think you need to broaden your expectations..not saying jericho is necessarily bad but nothing being as good?
everyone is entitled to their opionion i suppose, just glad mine isn't yours..(if that actually makes any sense)

(in reply to curlybean)
Post #: 162
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:46:45 PM   
ladybug

I don't often look at the Empire website although I do read the mag. But I felt obliged to comment on the 50 greatest tv shows..I loved Buffy but number 2? Hmm I don't think so. And Heroes at 16 is so wrong too. Yes "5 Years Gone" or whatever was a great episode but the second series is dull with wooden acting and a plot I just didn't care about anymore. Seinfeld should have been booted up to the top 10. And what about classics such at the original Law and Order? Or the Poirot tv series for old fashioned detective stories? And somebody mentioned the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice..well that would certainly be my number one!
I think I read that this was a public vote...if so then I guess I shouldn't complain seeing as I didn't vote myself!

These pretzels are making me thirsty!!

Post #: 163
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 4:53:09 PM   
aeronitz

I love that BUFFY made it all the way to number 2.  I wonder how many of the folks complaining ever watched the show.  I will say that I never gave the show a chance based on its title and then one day after the last season ended, I caught an episode and thought it was amazing.  So I purchased all 7 seasons on DVD and watch them over and over - they are my WORKOUT VIEW!  I am telling anyone that hasn't given this show a fair shake: watch the 1st two seasons.  Number 1 is a little slow, but Season 2 I feel is the best single season of any show that I have ever watched, and I watch a lot of TV.

Also, the only glaring show I found omitted from this list is Monk.  I think Monk is the best show on TV right now...then again, it is one the the USA Network - so I don't even know if you folks get it in Europe, do you?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 164
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:04:50 PM   
theoriginalcynic

We get Monk on BBC2 but it's hidden away.  I agree Buffy season 2 is my favourite season of television ever.  I like Jericho but it's not the best series ever made.  I'm surprised considering the popularity that Supernatural wasn't top 50 - to me it's not worthy but many people adore it

(in reply to aeronitz)
Post #: 165
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:08:07 PM   
MaybeMrPurple

I have to say, I wholeheartedly agree with the top 3.

I was a kid when The Simpsons started
and a teenager when Buffy first aired,
so I've basically grown up having watched them.
They're like my Yoda or something. I just love 'em.

Then along came The Sopranos, and blew me away.

Post #: 166
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:22:34 PM   
Barmybhudda

No My Name is Earl?! WTF

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 167
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:25:05 PM   
iamevilhomer!

see your comment right here sums up the whole problem, everyone has grown up with different shows (mine was the bionic man and incredible hulk etc) but please do not confuse rose tinted memories of youth with quality when voting.  I certainly wouldn't vote for anything output in the seventies for example, even the once excellent hill st blues is looking too dated these days. Also your comments back up my previous posts that buffy is aimed purely at kids and teenagers...(how anyone can state that it's the best show ever is simply beyond me).

(in reply to MaybeMrPurple)
Post #: 168
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:28:52 PM   
Kaytiana

quote:

Its just that I am just fed up with the majority of people (and your stats back this up) seem to prefer all these mediocre, by the numbers shows.

If you think Buffy is 'by the numbers' then I think you are very mistaken.

Also, Buffy is most definately not a kids/teen show, as other people have said, it deals with difficult subject matter in a mature and sophisticated way.  I watch a lot of TV, and in my opinion nothing has a more diverse set of episodes than Buffy.  How can a show which has a silent episode and a musical episode, and episodes like 'The Zeppo', 'The Body', 'Restless', 'Conversations with Dead People' be in anyway formulaic, the episodes are at different ends of many different spectrums.

quote:

All this (and many other subject related) poll shows is that fans of sci-fi/fantasy shows are a lot more vocal in trying to convince people how great thgeir favourite shows are.

Yes the Buffy fans are on here being verbal about its right to its postion, but only because other people are on here questioning it.  You don't have to like it, but accept its value and its fan base!

quote:

although in a way I am so fond of the wire I don't think half of these idiots who voted buffy no2 derserve to have the pleasure of watching it. not that they would be intelligent enough to keep up anyway

I find that extremely condescending!  I am an intelligent person, who enjoys a wide variety of TV and movies, I don't see that the fact that Buffy is my favourite TV show in anyway undermines my intellect or ability to enjoy shows that you happen to consider to be better or more intellectually challenging.

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.

Post #: 169
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:35:05 PM   
frankie

No Animal Hospital?

Not happy.

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 170
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:37:24 PM   
bizarrosander

Where is MASH?!

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 171
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:40:02 PM   
iamevilhomer!

exactly...joss whedon must have thought, hey this show is so boring the arse off me lets in that case have a laugh and make a silent episode and a musical one too..! no thanks. moonlighting used to try this sort of nonsense nearly a decade earlier so it was nothing new. Also it just undermines any credibility that this show may have had even if it is supposed to be fantasy.
face facts, whether youve seen the wire or not (i guess you haven't because buffy (buffy!? even the name makes me laugh) would soon slide down the list if you guys had) it is without doubt THE MOST REALISTIC, INNOVATIVE, ORIGINAL, DISTURBING, THOUGHT PROVOKING, FUNNY, MOVING, GRIPPING, BEST ACTED show ever transmitted on earth.

(in reply to Kaytiana)
Post #: 172
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:49:54 PM   
Najemikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrChaplin

I'm not anti-American, I like a lot of American things, but the handful of British programmes I just thought of from the top of my head are, I think, as good as or better than their illustrious, and usually more glamorous American counterparts.

I'm right with you here. I'll defend Buffy to the ends-of-the-Earth, but I wish a primarily British audience of a British website for a British magazine could have thought back just a little bit further and remembered some that you quoted. Prime Suspect especially. And why not more documentary based stuff? Planet Earth was as important as it was brilliant.

(in reply to MrChaplin)
Post #: 173
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:52:50 PM   
aris

SMALLVILLE not in the 50 shows?????!!!!!!!come on!it's a very good show!early years of superman?have you seen this again?ever?you guys don't know to rate a show!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 174
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:57:00 PM   
Najemikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamevilhomer!

exactly...joss whedon must have thought, hey this show is so boring the arse off me lets in that case have a laugh and make a silent episode and a musical one too..! no thanks. moonlighting used to try this sort of nonsense nearly a decade earlier so it was nothing new. Also it just undermines any credibility that this show may have had even if it is supposed to be fantasy.

What rubbish. If anything, the quality of The Hush or Once More cemented the critical acclaim, and the success proved the viability. And the name Buffy is funny. It's supposed to be a funny name that you can't take seriously.

The Wire is very good, but it's just NYPD for this generation. Don't worry if you miss it; there'll be another one along in ten years or so.

Post #: 175
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 6:00:00 PM   
MaybeMrPurple

quote:

see your comment right here sums up the whole problem, everyone has grown up with different shows (mine was the bionic man and incredible hulk etc) but please do not confuse rose tinted memories of youth with quality when voting.  I certainly wouldn't vote for anything output in the seventies for example, even the once excellent hill st blues is looking too dated these days. Also your comments back up my previous posts that buffy is aimed purely at kids and teenagers...(how anyone can state that it's the best show ever is simply beyond me).

I hear what you're saying, but I disagree, at least with you're view on me - and on Buffy, naturally. 

When I voted, Buffy was my  #1 and M.A.S.H.  #2. Well, okay, M.A.S.H was my only oldie, so I can agree with everybody voting their faves from their own "era".
But, what I disagree with is my so called rose-tinted glasses. Every show I voted - from Buffy to The Sopranos, to West Wing, to Arrested Development, etc. - I have the DVDs, and I still watch them regularly. I'm 28 by the way, so no Buffy-teen here.
I know what I like.
You don't have to like them and I'm sure you voted for your own favorites. 
You might have guessed I have a weakness for comedic shows, but especially my two fave shows share this irresistable combination of comedy and tragedy, lightness and pathos... sometimes all of it in one scene. I simply love them.

If lovin' Buffy or M.A.S.H. means I'm wrong, baby, I never wanna be right.   

Post #: 176
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 6:14:16 PM   
matty_b

I would have to disqualify MASH because while the first 3 seasons are brilliant, everything afterwards was rubbish IMHO!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MaybeMrPurple)
Post #: 177
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 6:21:43 PM   
iamevilhomer!

comparing the wire to NYPD blue?? they can't even curse on nypdblue, no violence, each episode is self comtained...need I go on...you people are just digging an even bigger hole...

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 178
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 6:33:27 PM   
Najemikon

Just pushing your buttons, mate! I'm digging nothing. At the end of the day, I know I'm right and you're wrong, so I'm happy. I'm sure you think the same.

If swearing is The Wire's only real advantage over NYPD Blue, then dammit, I'm changing my vote. The Equalizer would have been the best show ever with a few curse words thrown in the mix!

Post #: 179
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 6:56:14 PM   
komic book guy

star trek should be at least in the low 30`s mid 20`s
its disapointing to see the highest star trek is only at 37 they are sci-fi landmarks well the origional and TNG are anyway. doctor who is not that good to be were it is
father ted is good enough to be put to a better place than 36
WERE IS STARGATE SG1 ITS SPECTACULAR
 the A-team is great tv but were is it
A PITY THE FOOL WHO DIDNT VOTE FOR THE A-TEAM
the facts are much appreciated but every one who calls themselves a fan of star treck should know that"beam me up scotty" never appeared on any episode

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI