Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

CARNIVALE!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> CARNIVALE!!! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CARNIVALE!!! - 29/3/2008 11:25:10 AM   
indy2606

Where the F*CK is carnivale?!?!?! That was the best show ever. They still need to make an episode 3!
Everybody who voted here, has to see that show! Really really really really good!!!

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 121
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 11:30:15 AM   
humbug2468

Where is "Damages"?  A superbly written, produced and acted series with Glenn Close delivering an Oscar-worthy performance.

Its absence says more about the lack of viewers than its quality (thanks BBC for moving it round the schedules until it ends up hidden at 11pm on a Monday night).

Those who haven't seen it - you don't know what you're missing.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 122
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 11:30:45 AM   
sawyer666

I was looking foward to this, but it has deeply disapointed me, how is Alias, another long running american tv show, better that Life On Mars? and how the fucking hell is Sienfield, another American sitcom, better than DOCTOR WHO the best sci-fi around, and the Simpsons at no. 1 was a bit too predictable i think!!! (This is not a reply to you james, error!)

< Message edited by sawyer666 -- 29/3/2008 11:31:53 AM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 123
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 11:35:22 AM   
holty23

Always going to be a controversial poll.  Alot of great shows in there, not sure about the placing of some, though.

I'm not happy these three are off the list: House, Studio 60....and Sliders!

'Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in friggin' charge here.'

(in reply to sawyer666)
Post #: 124
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:00:25 PM   
Piles

Awwww. I wasn't expecting the Mighty Boosh to make it, but I was living in hope!

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 125
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:25:37 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamevilhomer!

Who ever voted for this top ten are all idiots bar 'the wire' which easily should be number 1. Yeh i know The Sopranos was excellent but nowhere near as consistently authentic or gripping as the wire. As for buffy at number two...wtf!!! at best its a bleedin kids show for god's sake...finally to the simpsons...everyone (and that includes you 'lets all pronounce my surname incorrectly mat {graining}groening' and you greedy bastards at fox) needs to now have a serious reality check. season 1-3 are incredibly funny. That was until they suddenly became too knowing and the writers climbed up their own backside. It was originally funny because we could all identify with the position the characters found themselves in. Then suddenly it just became surreal and unfunny. Marge and Homer finding themselves victims on a Japanese gameshow anyone? EH?! Please cancel this show before it gets even worse. The fact that channel 4 viewers voted it the number one kids show out of 100 shows how stupid most British viewers are (that includes all the celebs who appeared to agree) this was NEVER A KIDS SHOW in the 1st place. Rant over ....for now.

For a start Buffy isn't a kids show (I wouldn't let my kids watch a 15 certificate) and the simpsons had great years after season 3.  Only 1-3 were good are you having a laugh?

(in reply to iamevilhomer!)
Post #: 126
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:26:35 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: holty23

Always going to be a controversial poll.  Alot of great shows in there, not sure about the placing of some, though.

I'm not happy these three are off the list: House, Studio 60....and Sliders!

Studio 60 only had one season and I don't think it's that popular over here

(in reply to holty23)
Post #: 127
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:34:37 PM   
romulus

I'm obviously way too old for Empire nowadays.  I would have liked to have seen more UK comedy like Porridge make it into the list but am glad that Black Adder at least scraped into the top 20.  Biggest regret though is no love shown for Sharpe. 

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 128
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:52:12 PM   
Hywel

no larry sanders, very disappointing.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 129
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:53:24 PM   
Hywel

or early doors, royle family, and general britishness. too many sci fi geeks posting, methinks.

(in reply to Hywel)
Post #: 130
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:54:42 PM   
odddaze

3 Words

Freaks and Geeks

I am The Ugly Truth!

(in reply to Hywel)
Post #: 131
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:05:44 PM   
iamevilhomer!

Ok maybe there were a few decent episodes after season 3 of the Simpsons, the point is that a comedy where at least HALF of its output to date isn't funny DOES NOT deserve 1st place. As for Buffy, ok didn't know it was 15 but It certainly isn't aimed at the over teens at least. Classification aside and i'm not even saying that a kids/teen show doesn't deserve 4th place, its just that the series is just the usual bionic woman/smallville/x-files nonsense. Also if it's your suggestion that most of buffy's audience are adults then that is just plain naive.

Post #: 132
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:15:11 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Actually most of Buffy's audience will be adults now and maybe they were when the show aired.  The series appeals to everyone from teens to very old people (a kid wrote into the new season 8 comics saying how his grandparents never miss a show) On my own forum most fans are in there 40's.  Some are teens but most people are older... you know you can watch a show about teenagers / twenty somethings if you're older then that.  Like a good horror film... Joss Whedon's favourite show is Veronica Mars.  So no I don't think it's naive at all - I just think you need to lighten up and watch something thats fun.  Nothing wrong with any of those other shows you mentioned either - you should try and watch some of them before judging them

Post #: 133
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:49:36 PM   
ryantheryster

where the fuck is entourage!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 134
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:53:19 PM   
titsmagee

I was glad to see Lost at 5. Its my favorite show and imho it hasnt dipped in quality in four seasons. think if they pull off the whole story it will be the best tv show ever. couldnt believe Buffy at 2 tho. utter bollocks.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 135
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:55:50 PM   
ryantheryster

"vegas baby vegas" jonny drama puching seth green in the middle of a stripper competition fucking amazing..............

(in reply to ryantheryster)
Post #: 136
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:05:50 PM   
daimonprice

Where in the heck is COLUMBO????? Not to mention "V". And lets be honest, KING of the HILL is a thousand times better than Futurama!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 137
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:23:39 PM   
wickamonkey

great list, most of the tv shows in it were good, and the order was ok (blackadder better than fawlty towers?)
only two tv shows missing:
1) peep show, this is the favorite show of me and most people i know, consistently funny over 4 series, original and with the chemistry between mark and jez (the el dude brothers!) simply perfect
2) no way at peep shows level but torchwood at least deserved a place in the top 50, series 1 was inconsistent with moments of excellence, but series 2 has been brilliant, it has the look of an american show with a much greater budget, it is consistently inventive, and recently been very emotional (dead man walking and a day in the death were, put simply some of hte best drama i hav seen in the last few years.

(in reply to daimonprice)
Post #: 138
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:50:05 PM   
JackieBoy1992

Where's Ally McBeal? Am I alone in this?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 139
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:34:45 PM   
matty_b

All this (and many other subject related) poll shows is that fans of sci-fi/fantasy shows are a lot more vocal in trying to convince people how great thgeir favourite shows are. Hence programmes like Heroes make the list even when it's own creator is describing its current season as rubbish, while tat like Buffy gets number 2 - "Oh my God, I am like - SO ironically disengaged with, like, all the, like danger and vampires and SPOOKY stuff around me".

I think fans of The Wire, West Wing, Cracker etc won't lose that much sleep about their placings here   

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to JackieBoy1992)
Post #: 140
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:37:32 PM   
iamevilhomer!

I have watched all those other shows, which is why I feel warranted to give and standby on my opinion on them. Don't need to lighten up either, just think that alot of tv in recent years is so formulaic.I like shows that are both fun but are also original and do not like to lead you by the hand. for example i have every startrek box set that is available which entertains both kids and adults alike, but at the same time you never always know where they are taking you. On the other hand 'Smallville' has the same formula every episode, every season it has mulder and skully, sorry i mean clark and chloe (see what i mean its so hard to differentiate sometimes) investigate weird/spooky goings on until the final couple of episodes which eventually pump up the action and push the story forward. Also its absolute sacrilege to the ethos of Superman to turn it into a Dawsons Creek/Xfiles hybrid. Shame on you chris reeve and terence stamp for cashing in on the back of this, I mean half the audience probably won't remember either of you anyway which misses the whole point.

Post #: 141
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:38:37 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Matty_b

Ref Not losing sleep. And yet you felt the need to post that.  Jealous  ha ha...what you wrote means you've obviously never seen BTVS

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 29/3/2008 3:39:13 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 142
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:43:38 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

I have watched all those other shows, which is why I feel warranted to give and standby on my opinion on them. Don't need to lighten up either, just think that alot of tv in recent years is so formulaic.I like shows that are both fun but are also original and do not like to lead you by the hand. for example i have every startrek box set that is available which entertains both kids and adults alike, but at the same time you never always know where they are taking you. On the other hand 'Smallville' has the same formula every episode, every season it has mulder and skully, sorry i mean clark and chloe (see what i mean its so hard to differentiate sometimes) investigate weird/spooky goings on until the final couple of episodes which eventually pump up the action and push the story forward. Also its absolute sacrilege to the ethos of Superman to turn it into a Dawsons Creek/Xfiles hybrid. Shame on you chris reeve and terence stamp for cashing in on the back of this, I mean half the audience probably won't remember either of you anyway which misses the whole point.

Christopher Reeve was a fan of the show - I'm guessing Terrance Stamp is too.  I'd say a huge percentage of Smallville's audience are fans of the original movies and all of the Supes Mythology - I know I am.  Clark and Chloe investigating is a fairy recent addition to the new seasons.  And they don't do that every episode either.  I'm not a fan of the x-files so I can't comment.  You seem to know alot about SV to say that you don't like it

Post #: 143
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:48:07 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Ref Not losing sleep. And yet you felt the need to post that.  Jealous  ha ha...what you wrote means you've obviously never seen BTVS

Jealous? What of? The rankings of tv shows over others on a website? Hardly. Hell, I didn't even bother voting!

And I've seen pretty much all of Buffy - was unfortunately stuck with a flatmate for a few years who insisted on watching it every damn day!

quote:

Post #: 144
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:48:26 PM   
iamevilhomer!

I agree with you man, check out my previous posts and see what you think. Even though i may mention star trek i was not placing it in the top one hundred. The wire deserves no1 and think eventually people will soon realise this. (although in a way I am so fond of the wire I don't think half of these idiots who voted buffy no2 derserve to have the pleasure of watching it. not that they would be intelligent enough to keep up anyway)
With you on cracker too, nothing quite like it since.
Heroes...crap, yet another 'lost' that gives you nothing back after investing the time to watch it. All these shows do, is resolve nothing at the end in the hope that you will be back for more next season. 

He kills coppers....on the basis of the 1st episode the best british crime drama in ages..
'get on with it Motherfucker'!......r.i.p. stringer bell

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 145
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:51:20 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

Jealous? What of? The rankings of tv shows over others on a website? Hardly. Hell, I didn't even bother voting!

And I've seen pretty much all of Buffy - was unfortunately stuck with a flatmate for a few years who insisted on watching it every damn day!

Well you can't have been watching it too clearly if you think the sentence that you've written is a good example of what the show is about...

It just seems  a bit petty that alot of people on here can't except a vote made by the readers of Empire.  I didn't vote either but I'm not gonna complain about the west wing or the sopranos or the simpsons.  Why is nobody challenging the simpsons at number one?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 146
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:52:02 PM   
Najemikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

while tat like Buffy gets number 2 - "Oh my God, I am like - SO ironically disengaged with, like, all the, like danger and vampires and SPOOKY stuff around me".

I think fans of The Wire, West Wing, Cracker etc won't lose that much sleep about their placings here   

And another comment from someone who has obviously never actually watched Buffy! This is getting boring now. Several have mentioned it's just a kids show, or at least 'concede' it's for teens (thanks, but I'm well past my teen years!). I mentioned The Body once before, but it has to be said again, because it's more brave and adult than most of the other shows in the list. I adore The Sopranos, but I find it ironic for a series revolving around death that it never handled the subject very well.

Kaytiana said something very true: "...features a strong female lead (something very lacking throughout the list)" and that it's been four years yet it still has a strong critical following. But it doesn't matter. My favourite show is at number two, so your argument is moot anyway.

I do agree Cracker should have been further up the list. And someone else mentioned Damages? Very clever thriller that deserved a place (although I haven't seen the ending yet, so it could still fall apart!).

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 147
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:54:20 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

I agree with you man, check out my previous posts and see what you think. Even though i may mention star trek i was not placing it in the top one hundred. The wire deserves no1 and think eventually people will soon realise this. (although in a way I am so fond of the wire I don't think half of these idiots who voted buffy no2 derserve to have the pleasure of watching it. not that they would be intelligent enough to keep up anyway)
With you on cracker too, nothing quite like it since.
Heroes...crap, yet another 'lost' that gives you nothing back after investing the time to watch it. All these shows do, is resolve nothing at the end in the hope that you will be back for more next season. 

He kills coppers....on the basis of the 1st episode the best british crime drama in ages..
'get on with it Motherfucker'!......r.i.p. stringer bell

See it's comments like that that are really insulting.  I want to watch the wire and I'm a fan of the shield (awesome cop show) I like to watch all genres and as a rule US TV wipes the floor with British television

Post #: 148
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:55:12 PM   
matty_b

Ah of course - the old 'you've never watched it PROPERLY' argument! - I love it when that gets used instead of actual reasoned debate!

quote:

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 149
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:57:51 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Ok so lets say you've watched it properly and you don't like it.  I can live with that   we don't all like the same things.  As adults we should except that just because we don't like it - doesn't mean it's crap.  It's just not for you...

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 29/3/2008 3:59:42 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> CARNIVALE!!! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI