Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:27:08 AM   
Beetlejuice100

Great list, but Entourage should have gotten a mention.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 91
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:44:28 AM   
Mack3

Wow quite a lot of heat/feedback after the revealing of the list. Only 1 of 5 of my picks made the top 50 but I half expected that. Just a couple of points to make that will agree with some peoples previous views and fly in the face of others.

1. This is like a best of list after circa 1990
2. How many bloody sci-fi fans voted??? 

We could sit and argue all day but this is the way Empire readers/on line users have voted so I will abide by the vote. I would love to see a vote like this include people who may be of a certain age that do not read Empire, have internet access etc and are between the ages of 30-50. I think the results would be vastly different.

OH BTW - Did any one out there besides me vote for my favourite show of all time - The Wonder Years?????

Aspen...mmmm California beautiful

(in reply to Beetlejuice100)
Post #: 92
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:46:46 AM   
respectemma

BSG should be much higher.  I agree that SG-1 should definetly be there.  And leave Buffy and the Simpson's alone.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 93
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:51:16 AM   
SWOTBM

a couple of things; firstly why was there no mention of batman: the animated series, easily the best superhero animated show ever.  secondly, how the hell is family guy better than south park, i mean what the hell are you guys watching?  tbh most of these shows are voted for by teenagers who have no clue about good tv, its disgraceful that fawlty towers and frasier are so low in the list

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 94
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:07:52 AM   
samthemanc

I'll agree that Fawlty towers should be higher up but South Park? Come on Family Guy is MILES better

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. - Winston Churchill

Dying's a day worth living for - Captain Barbossa

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 95
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:10:30 AM   
SWOTBM

i can see that you are a family guy fan, so there is no point in talking any sense into you, though i will give it one last shot: south park=comedy genius

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 96
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 1:18:42 AM   
Fairfax

This list was voted for by whippersnappers. Only youthful ignorance can excuse the lack of M*A*S*H, Larry Saunders and Oz. Suprised by the no show of House though, I thought that it would be at least top twenty.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 97
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:02:25 AM   
beebs_

Oh yeah, Homicide: Life on The Streets! I love that show.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Fairfax)
Post #: 98
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:06:02 AM   
Morten S. Clausen

This is the biggest disgrace I've ever seen in terms of a top anything.

DVD made me the man I am today.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 99
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:06:10 AM   
spikespiegel

Actualy this is probably the best list I've seen from Empire. Pretty much everything I regard great tv in pretty much the right order. Empire has some good taste in tv!

Having said that...Battlestar Galactica should be higher

The American version of the office should be on there - which I think is funnier (if less realistic) than the British Office

Where is House? The only omission that's really surprising.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 100
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:06:22 AM   
James1235

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip?

The Simpsons hasn't been good since before I turned 13...
Buffy....is shite. My opinion anyway!

Post #: 101
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:13:45 AM   
spikespiegel

For people complaining about the simpsons - remember that from series 3 - 9 it was the perfection of tv comedy.

(in reply to James1235)
Post #: 102
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:19:53 AM   
mins

Blimey. Lot of heated discussion going on...as SO many have already mentioned it was a public vote and obviously it seems like the ones checking Empire online are of a certain age and like certain tv shows. Fair enough. I was also wondering...how big of a chunk of the site visitors/voters live in UK? Most I gather as it shows.

Personally was happy to see Buffy (come on Empire....how about 'Innocence'? After all that was why we got 'Angel') as high as it was though X-Files should've been higher. Was glad to see Angel made the list too as it was a brilliant show most of the time. I agree with many in regards to South Park/ Family Guy... SP should've been higher. I find FG very boring. But that's just me. Top 5 didn't surprise me in the least. This was a popularity contest after all.

Sadly 2 of the shows I voted didn't make the list (and I can't believe no one else has mentioned them)...the absolutely wonderful Northern Exposure and the genius that was 3rd Rock From The Sun. Also the late 80's Anne of Green Gables should get a mention. And Due South. Come to think of it Ally McBeal too.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 103
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:24:39 AM   
mackey

The West Wing, Friends and Buffy the shiteing Vampire Slayer above The Wire??? Joke!

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to mins)
Post #: 104
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:28:36 AM   
DCIHunt71

Well, as usual, these lists have opened a great debate with EMPIRE readers. I cant help but agree though that it seems to be more of a "popularity poll" than an actual list of all time favourite shows. The inclusion of so many new shows sort of proves the point! Are 80% of EMPIRE readers now under 30? Have older readers they no recolection of earlier shows such as Survivors or Day Of The Triffids?  The West Wing, 24, Curb Your Enthusiasm and even Firefly are all great, but Farscape? - W.T.F? 
Right now they are hardly classics. Only more time will tell if that is true. Meanwhile, where the hell is M.A.S.H???
And with Cracker (44) and Monty Python (31) so low in the list compared with Life On Mars and Buffy???!!! This smacks of "following the crowd". And placing The Simpsons at No.1 (again) leaves a bitter after taste in the mouth. Are these really the thoughts of the nation? If So, for Gods sake please WAKE UP!!! And stop being sheep people.

Post #: 105
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 2:55:31 AM   
RossMiles

Echoing other posters, The Wire is the greatest show ever created, and its no.8 ranking with a relatively small fanbase goes a long way to showing this IMO. I've never spoken to a person who has watched it that didn't agree on it genius.

Again, where the hell is Oz!!?? I guess as a Wire fan I would say that though!

Also... no mention of A-Team & AirWolf? Not even for nostalgia???

LONG LIVE STRINGER BELL

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 106
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:13:58 AM   
Underscore

Whilst it's nice to see shows such as The Sopranos, The West Wing and The Wire (which I shockingly expected out of the top ten) at the top end of the list, I have to agree that this list does not represent the top 50 television shows, but rather a list with infused popular shows in combination with ones of excellence. For example, The Sopranos is excellent in both overall quality and is fairly popular so is high up, but Arrested Development is again excellent in quality but unheard of, thus charting much lower.

It's the age old problem of public voting on these 'top... whatever' lists. I have admittedly spent most of the past 3 years of my life watching complete seasons of shows such as The Sopranos, AD, The Wire, The West Wing, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Spaced, Battlestar, Six Feet Under, Scrubs, Firefly, Seinfeld, 24 and many more. Other people in the general public don't have the money, resources or time to search out and watch these programs to gain their understanding of whether they're good or not. If the BBC aired The Wire at 9pm every Wednesday night on BBC One, it perhaps might get public awareness on the true quality of television out there. But instead these shows are placed on air on smaller channels (BBC Two, Three etc) at ludicrous hours. The majority of the top ten is compiled of shows which were aired at prominent spots or became mainstays of popular culture. I couldn't see Lost hitting the top ten if it was aired only on BBC One at 1:40am every night, as Arrested Development was. It's from the sheer quality and die hard fanbase that The Wire even manages to crack the top ten when it's the program which redefines what you can do and say on television in the 21st Century.

Like I stated, the majority of people don't have the time to search out programs like The Wire and Arrested Development; and I find it grateful that The Sopranos was advertised and made prominent to the public thanks to Channel 4, so I don't think polls like this should be slandered and hacked at too viciously. However I would like  to see Empire publish their own list in a forthcoming issue where they state that this is what the general public think are the top fifty shows, this is what we think. When critical and more open lists emerge in the public eye and prominently highlight shows of a truly great calibre, it allows for those shows to get more exposure and hopefully have more of a chance of climbing the lists of those voted by the general public.

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to RossMiles)
Post #: 107
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:26:46 AM   
Juno14

Well Empire, there was a vast amount that I could comment in there, I do have to admit.

And I could waste time ranting about it.

But at the end of the day, Buffy was second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I can die happy.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 108
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 3:32:27 AM   
Kaytiana

quote:

ORIGINAL: steev_411
How many people who are mocking the number 2 spot have actually watched the show properly?

Agreed!  Especially when you see comments dissing the show on the basis of its name!

Of course the list is a popularity contest, what list of this kind isn't, but doesn't the fact that four years after its cancellation Buffy still has a fan base so adoring of it that it makes this list mean anything?  That many people do not love a show that much for no reason!  Heroes is tripe, we know this now, but this being newly compiled and that being the latest big thing of course it made the list, but Buffy finished 4 years ago and the fans still love it!  That's longer ago than The Sopranos and The West Wing, and their fans are not nearly so attached still.

Look, the thing is, Buffy has great characters, great scripts, great dialogue, basically it is an amazing show.  You ask what success the actors have had since, it is irrelevant, what is relevant is that they were all perfectly cast for that show.  It's emotional, it's funny, its gripping.  It is not in anyway B-List, it is not poor programming, and anyone who thinks so has clearly not watched it, or is not a fan of the genre.

What makes a TV show great is not necessarily how well it is put together, or how perfect the acting is, or how great the storylines are (although I will argue to the ground that Buffy does not lack in any of these departments), but how much it impacts on people's lives.  There are a great many people out there (myself included) who will tell you that Buffy saved their lives, whether it literally stopped them from suicide, or just made the tough times a little bit easier to deal with, they came to terms with themselves because Buffy showed them that they were fine just the way they were.  It features a strong female lead (something very lacking throughout the list), it features a primary gay character (something lacking across TV in general).  It's uplifting, it's inspiring, it paved the way for other shows.  Very few shows have had this much of an impact.

And if you still doubt its credibility, as other people have mentioned, check out its critical acclaim, just watch 'Hush' or 'The Body', infact, come over, we'll have a marathon!  But please, you are entitled to not like a show, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but you have to at least accept that it is a great show for so many reasons!  And at the very least not diss it on the basis of its name!!

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.

(in reply to steev_411)
Post #: 109
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 5:11:49 AM   
tommyoh

The Sopranos has to be one of the most over rated tv shows ever. It was, at times, painfully dull to watch. If i want to see a bunch of fat middle aged guys bitch and moan about small change, and their wives, and their kids and boo fucking hoo...i'll go visit my grandpa in his retirement home.

(in reply to Kaytiana)
Post #: 110
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 6:07:05 AM   
d4nugster

whatdahel!  mulder and scully are only at #9?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 111
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 7:55:41 AM   
janghokwon

a couple more for consideration which havnt been metioned yet:

The Fast Show?
Harry Enfield?

i think empire also kind of shot themselves in the foot when they first announced they were doing this feature because in the background they had all the shows that are popular now and were voted.  kind of like subliminal messaging, i think people found it difficult to think outside the box when they were voting...just my thoughts anyway.  still <3 you empire :)

(in reply to d4nugster)
Post #: 112
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 9:52:18 AM   
kasper_t

I'm disappointed to see Buffy as number two... Never saw the appeal of that show.

Otherwise, a good list. I'm thankful that Desperate Housewives didn't make it in there, and glad to see Arrested Development in the list, as well as The West Wing and The Simpsons on top spots... but Twin Peaks really should be higher on the list...

"How's Annie?"

Post #: 113
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 10:20:02 AM   
goregoregirl

i'm disappointed that Six Feet Under and Cracker aren't higher up. there is no way Angel is better than either of those.

i would also have added Shameless and Black Books.

Twin Peaks should be number 1.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 114
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 10:44:26 AM   
giddig

Where's Due South people?! Come on! It should be in the 40's some where surely. The great characters. the great dialogue. The briliiant theme tune. Even when they changed the Ray it was still ace.

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 115
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 10:46:50 AM   
mosephland

I have to say I found this list extremely accurate and well pretty damned good. I agree with the top 15 listed one hundred percent (I don't care what you people think the first season of Heroes was a revelation. I would rather not talk bout the second season bu I'll just say that it kinda picked up towards the end....kinda). I believe all the shows listed deserved their spots (glad to see LOST, Buffy, Sopranos, Friends, X files and Family Guy get high results)

Now the slightly nastier business: House should be on the list. Perhaps not at the very top but somewhere in there. I wouldn't be sure where to put it because like I said the list is very accurate but I would still like to see it somewhere in there. Also, If Arrested Development could squeeze into the top 15 then this list would be pretty damned excellent. However, this is a minor detail....I could live with it in 18th place. However, though the simpsosns definately deserved top honor, "King Sized Homer", though funny, is not the greatest of all Simpsons episodes. I can't choose personally; however, season 6's episode involving Mr. Burns' hilarious singing of 'see my vest' is funnier than the entire episode of king sized homer.

Now for the particularly nasty Business: This really has little to do with the list but rather is aimed at a stupid comment made by a peer about smallville deserving a spot on the list. This is sugar coating what I think of th show: Absolute Fucking CRAP!!!! It has some of the worst acting, surprisingily weak special effects and ridiculously boring plot lines in the history of television. While the latter is quite out of the writers' control since the comic book is like that, it does not mean that they can't show some bit of intative and create an episode without recurring plot lines and the worst use of kryptonite ever. Also...LANA LANG PLEASE DIE. Kristin Keurk is given the least likeable character ever. The show is an insult to the comic book due to the atrocious acting. And the whole thing is a slap to superman's face. Tom Welling has little to offer Clark Kent other than be a reasonable piece of eye candy. He is nothing compared to Christopher Reeve or Brandon Routh (and comparing him to them is an unfair comparison but it must be made).

As for Grey's Anatomy on the list...just...no. no. no. no!!!

Here's hoping to a better third season of Heroes and a bit less mysteries and more answers on LOST (they can keep confusing us but i just want some answers from past seasons, for example: did Jack make the putt in the golf challenge or did Sawyer win the bet???)

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 116
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 11:05:51 AM   
Clarence_Worley

Plenty of hoo-ha about the Simpsons being number one. In its prime it was unbelievable, brilliant. How anyone can argue against The Simpsons being number one is shocking! And 'King Size Homer' was an episode from the shows peak, hillarious. As for Lost, pah! There just something about a show like that thats irratating because the writers didnt know where they were going with it, just grates me.

(in reply to mosephland)
Post #: 117
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 11:15:07 AM   
mafyou

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but in the Red Dwarf comments it says it went for nine series. I thought it was eight.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Clarence_Worley)
Post #: 118
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 11:15:10 AM   
iamevilhomer!

Who ever voted for this top ten are all idiots bar 'the wire' which easily should be number 1. Yeh i know The Sopranos was excellent but nowhere near as consistently authentic or gripping as the wire. As for buffy at number two...wtf!!! at best its a bleedin kids show for god's sake...finally to the simpsons...everyone (and that includes you 'lets all pronounce my surname incorrectly mat {graining}groening' and you greedy bastards at fox) needs to now have a serious reality check. season 1-3 are incredibly funny. That was until they suddenly became too knowing and the writers climbed up their own backside. It was originally funny because we could all identify with the position the characters found themselves in. Then suddenly it just became surreal and unfunny. Marge and Homer finding themselves victims on a Japanese gameshow anyone? EH?! Please cancel this show before it gets even worse. The fact that channel 4 viewers voted it the number one kids show out of 100 shows how stupid most British viewers are (that includes all the celebs who appeared to agree) this was NEVER A KIDS SHOW in the 1st place. Rant over ....for now.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 119
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 11:15:47 AM   
schennum

These viewer voted lists will always favour more recent shows as indicated by the fact that dross like Lost and Heroes ranked above genius such as Blackadder and Twin Peaks.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI