Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:53:39 PM   
samthemanc

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Ya series that is listed in TV Guide's top 50 TV shows ever made.  A series that is listed on the 100 greatest musicals ever made and so on... 

well obviously i know that, that's my issue. When i was thirteen i loved it. But i'm sorry the dialogue is mediocre at best and the fight scenes are laughable. Just look at the 'success' the 'actors' have had since, Alyson Hanigan's on what? American Pie 14? SMG keeps trying to be seen as credible actress but isn't doing a good job of it. I'm sorry but for this to be voted higher than such widely acclaimed programmes as the west wing and sopranos is in my opionion quite scary

And forgive my ignorance, but greatest musical?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. - Winston Churchill

Dying's a day worth living for - Captain Barbossa

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 61
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:12:00 PM   
Cleric John Preston

quote:

ORIGINAL: samthemanc
Alyson Hanigan's on what? American Pie 14?

She only made 3 of them. Sorry but only Eugene Levy soils his cv with the straight to dvd AP bags of poo.

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 62
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:12:27 PM   
xim123

quote:

Just look at the 'success' the 'actors' have had since, Alyson Hanigan's on what?

How I Met Your Mother, probably the most under rated and ignored (at least in the UK) sitcom in recent times.

My Film Diary

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 63
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:13:40 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure there is much point deploring votes for something like Heroes - one season in and the creator has spent most of the end of last year apologising for how bad the second season is.

Or that the title said greatest but the form said favourite and there is a world of difference between the 2.

But just rejoice in this new medium that is called TV - and was apparently invented about a decade ago.....

Not that I can complain with The Wire as my number one. But good though it is, they could have thought a bit harder about the best epi.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 64
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:25:07 PM   
Roland Deschain

I am gobsmacked that The Office was so low and yet bollocks like Friends and Buffy The F*%$+*&" Vampire Slayer get into such high spots.

What a load of tripe.  I simply do not understand the way the masses think.  No wonder TV shows and films are becoming so dumb and shit.

And were was Extras?

My mistake, four coffins.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 65
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:27:00 PM   
ascohen01

Is it just me ... has nobody else realised that the new Doctor Who is actually pants !!!!!
Really glad to see The Wire at no.8 - Everyone should be forced to watch this show

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 66
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:29:03 PM   
darth silas

A show called BUFFY is better than a kick ass show like 24? Oh for crying out loud!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 67
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:33:01 PM   
FlangeBags

Cannot believe you people put Blackadder so far down whilst over-hyped toss like Lost ("ooh look, a polar bear and some strange numbers and lots of other random stuff we made up in the pub at lunchtime that we're not going to explain - aren't we clever and mysterious!"  No, no you're not.  You're pretentious and childish) is riding high.
I despair, I really do...

Also, The Simpsons is overrated.

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to ascohen01)
Post #: 68
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:38:28 PM   
ascender

So who on earth still votes for the Simpsons as being the best TV show of all time. Have these people seen what happened after Season 9 or thereabouts?

Post #: 69
The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:46:38 PM   
Quentin Black

I know Empire can't help what people vote for but they should have entitled it The 50 Most Popular TV Shows Of All Time rather than greatest. If these we're the greatest shows, the list would be very different. The little seen yet brilliant Friday Night Lights would be on the list over gimmicky rubbish like Prison Break/Lost/24/Heroes and The Simpsons, which stopped being funny a long long time ago, wouldn't be number one. Some of the list was respectable but as a whole it wasn't really an eye opener or very interesting. If I wanted something this I could have just asked my culturally brain-dead mate what his favourite programs were. Its just another case of Empire pandering to the readers when Empire is capable of being much sharper and interesting. Dissapointing really.

I also really hope Empire doesn't take up any magazine space with this. That would piss me off.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 70
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:47:34 PM   
udjifudgi

Where the hell is the mighty boosh?

It's comedy genius for christs sake!

Soup! Soup! Tasty soup, soup!

(in reply to Quentin Black)
Post #: 71
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:49:03 PM   
Najemikon

Whoa. Such anger. Calm down, people! Far too opinionated for what is, as others have pointed out, just a popularity contest.

Easy for me to talk though. I've seen most of the shows in the top ten. X-Files and Sopranos are amongst my all-time faves, so seeing them there is vindication. But I honestly believe that Buffy The Vampire Slayer is the most brilliant TV series ever made. A work of absolute genius, the second season was just about perfect. Say what you like; maybe you don't like fantasy, maybe you don't like the style, whatever, your opinion, that's fine, but I defy anyone to watch Season 5: The Body and still dismiss it out-of-hand.

But Lost? Are people still being strung along by that load of crap? Wow.

(in reply to ascender)
Post #: 72
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 9:58:15 PM   
steev_411

To answer an earlier question, the office was on the list, even though it shouldn't be. Extras is away being crap somewhere other than this list.

How many people who are mocking the number 2 spot have actually watched the show properly?

Post #: 73
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:07:17 PM   
beebs_

quote:

ORIGINAL: fraser1978

Where the fuck was Smallville?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hilarious! Seriously do you watch that show? I do. Unfortunately...

This was an interesting exercise. I always thought that shows like Heroes (I watch it. I loved the first season. I didn't love the second one) and Lost (potential to be great but fell off hard during S3. It's getting better again) would be high up. They're new and shiney and everyone loves 'em. If poll was run again in 5 - 10 years then I don't know if they'd make there. I don't think Prison Break would make the cut.

The geek factor makes the position of Buffy and Firefly expected too. I wanted to vote for Angel (hey! Angel had the better Buffy characters! Cordy!? Angel minus Buffy!? Lorne! Holtz!!!!), I really do love it... but it's just not as good as Farscape. Seriously. They both had big story arcs but nothing brought it more than Wormholes/Critchton/Aeryn/Scropi. Just too good.

Most of my fav shows make an appearence, even Farscape and Cracker which is great. The only one that didn't was Oz. Oh and The X Files (minus S8&9) is better than Buffy.

< Message edited by beebs_ -- 28/3/2008 10:24:39 PM >

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to fraser1978)
Post #: 74
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:17:47 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

quote:

Ya series that is listed in TV Guide's top 50 TV shows ever made.  A series that is listed on the 100 greatest musicals ever made and so on... 

well obviously i know that, that's my issue. When i was thirteen i loved it. But i'm sorry the dialogue is mediocre at best and the fight scenes are laughable. Just look at the 'success' the 'actors' have had since, Alyson Hanigan's on what? American Pie 14? SMG keeps trying to be seen as credible actress but isn't doing a good job of it. I'm sorry but for this to be voted higher than such widely acclaimed programmes as the west wing and sopranos is in my opionion quite scary

It's really condecending that you're implying that Buffy is only for teenagers and young teenagers at that.  The show has a fan base from about 10 - 80.  Other people have said what Alison is up too.  SMG has about four movies coming out this year and Michelle is gonna be on Gossip Girl.  Anthony Stewart Head is in demand in the UK.   The fight scenes are fine and it's a better series then the west wing or the sopranos.  The people have spoken.  Everyone seems to think they can mention the wing or the Sopranos and it will end any argument where TV is concerned.  The Buffy musical was part of channel 4's top 100 musicals ever...not sure how high it landed

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 75
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:19:03 PM   
snakes_on_a_plane

No Freaks and Geeks?! And Family Guy in the top 15?! What gives?!

I am pleased to see Scrubs and Arrested Development in the top 20, though. Although it is SHAMEFUL that Family Guy is ahead of either of them. South Park was so right about that piece of crap. American Dad should be in Family Guy's place, American Dad is what Family Guy used to be.

Finally, I'll think you'll find that Rachel is the most promiscuous Friend, having kissed ALL of them. The only one that happened offscreen was Monica's.

< Message edited by snakes_on_a_plane -- 28/3/2008 10:26:07 PM >

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Yes, it's a plane. But that plane has motherfucking snakes on it!

Post #: 76
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:19:53 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roland Deschain

I am gobsmacked that The Office was so low and yet bollocks like Friends and Buffy The F*%$+*&" Vampire Slayer get into such high spots.

What a load of tripe.  I simply do not understand the way the masses think.  No wonder TV shows and films are becoming so dumb and shit.

And were was Extras?

The office and Extras ha ha ha - utter crap

(in reply to Roland Deschain)
Post #: 77
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:25:05 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Najemikon

Whoa. Such anger. Calm down, people! Far too opinionated for what is, as others have pointed out, just a popularity contest.

Easy for me to talk though. I've seen most of the shows in the top ten. X-Files and Sopranos are amongst my all-time faves, so seeing them there is vindication. But I honestly believe that Buffy The Vampire Slayer is the most brilliant TV series ever made. A work of absolute genius, the second season was just about perfect. Say what you like; maybe you don't like fantasy, maybe you don't like the style, whatever, your opinion, that's fine, but I defy anyone to watch Season 5: The Body and still dismiss it out-of-hand.

But Lost? Are people still being strung along by that load of crap? Wow.

Exactly people who are judging the show are either doing so from one or two episodes (when you need to follow the season arc) or because they think the title of the show is stupid.  Oh well I know how good it is so who cares really?

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 78
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:26:54 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

quote:

ORIGINAL: fraser1978

Where the fuck was Smallville?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hilarious! Seriously do you watch that show? I do. Unfortunately...

This was an interesting exercise. I always thought that shows like Heroes (I watch it. I loved the first season. I didn't love the second one) and Lost (potential to be great but fell off hard during S3. It's getting better again) would be high up. They're new and shiney and everyone loves 'em. If poll was run again in 5 - 10 years then I don't know if they'd make there. I don't think Prison Break would make the cut.

The geek factor makes the position of Buffy and Firefly expected too. I wanted to vote for Angel (hey! Angel had the better Buffy characters! Cordy!? Angel minus Buffy!? Lorne! Holtz!!!!), I really do love it... but it's just not as good as Farscape. Seriously. They both had big story arcs but nothing brought it more than Wormholes/Critchton/Aeryn/Scropi. Just too good.

Most of my fav shows make an appearence, even Farscape and Cracker which is great. The only one that didn't was Oz. Oh and The X Files (minus S8&9) is better than Buffy.

Beebs lets not you and I start on Smallville... we'll be here all night lol.  The only thing I wanna know about Smallville is when are E4 gonna get off their arses and show season 7.  Before they lose the fans to DVD again 

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 28/3/2008 10:27:52 PM >

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 79
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:44:49 PM   
samthemanc

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's really condecending that you're implying that Buffy is only for teenagers and young teenagers at that.  The show has a fan base from about 10 - 80.  Other people have said what Alison is up too.  SMG has about four movies coming out this year and Michelle is gonna be on Gossip Girl.  Anthony Stewart Head is in demand in the UK.   The fight scenes are fine and it's a better series then the west wing or the sopranos.  The people have spoken.  Everyone seems to think they can mention the wing or the Sopranos and it will end any argument where TV is concerned.  The Buffy musical was part of channel 4's top 100 musicals ever...not sure how high it landed

Why is it condescending to tell the truth, when i was thirteen i loved it, now i don't. And i'm sorry, but to argue that it's better than the west wing or sopranos because empire readers voted it above them is ludicrous. If you don't like political of mafia dramas, then obviously you're not going to like it. And i'm not using them to 'end the argument' it's just that they are critically acclaimed for many different reason, script and acting to name a few. And i'm sorry but Antony stewart head is in demand for little Britain, and Frankly i'd rather watch Buffy...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. - Winston Churchill

Post #: 80
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 10:49:12 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I can't stand little britain either so we agree on something.  He's been in many other British dramas and comedys too.  Both of those shows that you mention might be critically aclaimed so is Buffy.  So, what's your point? It's just the way you wrote it - when I was 13 I loved it implying that now older you shouldn't be enjoying or watching it. 

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 81
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 11:03:01 PM   
abulafia

You people do realize that television existed before 1990, right?

Where's I Love Lucy? Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood? All Creature Great and Small? Brideshead Revisited? The Andy Griffith Show? Poirot? The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes? Your Show of Shows? Twilight Zone? The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson? The Dick Van Dyke Show? Sesame Street? Taxi?

I mean, some of the shows on the list I can agree with, but can anyone seriously argue that Family Guy is anywhere near as good as All in the Family?

It seems a shame that so many people are not aware of the many hours of great television out there. At least Full House didn't make the list. I would actually never look at this site, or any site on the web, again, mostly because my eyeballs would've melted.

< Message edited by abulafia -- 28/3/2008 11:04:02 PM >

Post #: 82
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 11:06:35 PM   
samthemanc

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy it but frankly i outgrew it. I watched it until (not sure what series) but they moved off to college and willow became a lesbian, but the plot lines where just off the wall and i really lost interest. I don't think it continues the quality of even the first few series throughout the course of t's showing which is why in my opinion it shouldn't be that high. Regardless of my view now or then, t doesn't maintain the quality. The other two shows do.

Post #: 83
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 11:15:48 PM   
eruptus

Wow. Other people actually voted for The Wire too. I thought that I was the only one. Nice to see the most intelligent show ever (tied with The Sopranos) in the top 8.

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 84
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 11:16:26 PM   
beebs_

Oh cynic! You know Smallville isn't good.  S7 isn't much of an improvement... But there have been some good moments and I think there be a few choice episodes coming up...

Was there really telly before 1990? I'm too young to remember that!  Although Quantum Leap is one of my favs...

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 85
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 11:23:14 PM   
ebrown2112

1. The Wire should be #1.
  2. Where the hell is Law & Order (including SVU & CI)? The L&Os are so much better than the CSIs, it's not even funny.
  3. For that matter, where's Homicide: Life on the Street? And Carnivále? And Oz?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 86
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 11:26:59 PM   
YoCraig

Jeez, this list is so...NOW. I'm sure someone has posted to this affect already but there are too many posts for me to read through them all...

How can you have a list of the greatest TV shows OF ALL TIME without I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, The Odd Couple, The original Dr. Who, The Prisoner, Barney Miller, All in the Family, Ed Sullivan, Milton Burle...the list goes on and on. Why wasn't pre-70's TV considered at all?!?

< Message edited by YoCraig -- 28/3/2008 11:40:55 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 87
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 11:34:28 PM   
YoCraig

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobthegrinch

Being a public vote, I don't know how anyone can point the blame at empire here.

I can blame Empire for looking at the results of the public poll and then continuing (or deciding) to call the list "The 50 Greatest TV Shows of ALL TIME"!!

"50 Greatest TV Shows of the Last 20 Years" [or so] is what that list really represents.

< Message edited by YoCraig -- 28/3/2008 11:35:15 PM >

(in reply to bobthegrinch)
Post #: 88
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:01:22 AM   
Glass3005

So glad to see the following didn't make it on:
Grey's Anatomy. Ugly FUCKING Betty.

So glad to see the following DID make it on:
Spaced. Blackadder. Scrubs.

Disappointed to see make it on:
Lost. Buffy. All Star Trek (yes, I'm controversial like that). The Simpsons (at least as high as it was - great for the first 199 episodes, which OK fine's pretty good, but it's gotten unwatchable since).

Where the fuck was:
House?! Animaniacs?! FREAKAZOID?!

(in reply to YoCraig)
Post #: 89
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/3/2008 12:25:41 AM   
cadz

Delighted to see my top 5 favourites all in the list, especially the wire at no.8 (my personal no.1) and the shield, The Sopranos, Fr.Ted and South Park all within the top 25.Good stuff. That said, the list itself is quite contemporary, and does veer a little too much into sci-fi/spin-off territory at times, meaning the likes of Miami Vice and NYPD blue have missed out. having Lost as high as number five for me is the low point..

I could go on just as long about music and sport, but i love films.even a look at my dvd collection will tell you that.fav actors/directors-de niro,scorsese,eastwood,norton,winstone,spacey,woo,pesci,tarantino(tho maybe not kil bill)..films-die hard,heat

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI