Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 [21] 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/10/2010 4:14:23 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: David_Davidson

This list is rubbish. It is obvious that the author or committee that made the list was born in the '90s and is most likely mentally challenged... Friends is garbage. It should not even be on the list. In fact most of these shows should not be on the list. But what can you expect from someone who was not even alive when M*A*S*H or All in The Family was on the air...

Seriously, Friends at #7 and Band of Brothers and Deadwood barely made the list?!

I know this is just some stupid online list that means diddly squat, but for a film and television buff this list makes me want to vomit. Fawlty Towers at #28? I am an American and I find it disgusting it was beat by a piece of steaming offal like Friends... Six Feet Under which is likely the greatest Drama or Comedy ever written for television is # 27?! Well looking at the top 10 I guess I should be glad it even made the list... Futurama and Family guy should not even be on the list, and the Simpson's has been garbage for the last decade. Python at the bottom of the list... this is a freaking crime against good taste. With every click to advance the page and see what was next on the list was one outrage after another. For Family Guy to be ranked even on the same list as Python, Black Adder or Fawlty Towers.... ponderous, freaking ponderous. Family guy is for mouth breathers who are taking a break from American Idol and lack the intellect to enjoy well crafted and witty comedy. It has no subtlety, it beats the viewer over the head with its cliche lazily written punchlines.

SCRUBS BEAT BLACK ADDER?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!? RAGE FUEL HEROES EVEN MAKING THE LIST?!

This list is making the rounds on the internet image/message boards and we are all raging and laughing at the same time. Perhaps this was just an expertly engineered troll to get buzz going for this site... if so, Bravo, well played Sir Troll. Friends beat Seinfeld................................................ Don't even get me started on LOST, the "we make it up as we go" television. Buffy #2, DoHoHo!

............................................________
....................................,.-'...................``~.,
.............................,.-..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......=-._......";,,./`..../............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

Man, I am one sick puppy, gettin' my rocks off reading people who join this site just to vent spleen. Man, it makes my frikkin day. Having said that, where was blah blah, where was blah blah. It's just a bit of harmless fun people. Look at what came in at number 2 for christ sake. It's reflective of the demographic voting. I love Red Dwarf, Cheers, The Young Ones, Mash, Shameless, Peep Show, King of the Hill and Entourage, but I knew they either wouldn't get on the list or would appear lower down than hoped.
As to the best, wow, pretty tricky. I loved Star Trek as a kid, but we all grow and change and our tastes change too. And when I was in school, for years the first thing we'd do is talk about Blackadder, Monty Python, Red Dwarf or The Young Ones. But that's cos they were funny as fuck, not cos they were cinematic masterpieces. Ok, Blackadder might have been.
Of the last 5 years, I'd have to say The Wire nips it. And I loved The Shield also. Vic is such a cool cat. But there are many many more that I guess have as much right to be feted as 'the best'.
But Buffy? Seriously?

< Message edited by gazpop -- 4/10/2010 4:15:23 PM >

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to David_Davidson)
Post #: 601
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 15/10/2010 11:06:56 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

No How I Met Your Mother. NO HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER!!???!!?!

Hahaha, it'd be funny if I was like that. I have a gripe with Buffy being second, but apart from that it's really up to the voters views, I suppose. Maybe most people just have the hots for Sarah Michelle Gellar??

I am saddened, though, that people prefer outrageously gross and sometimes offensive shows like South Park, which gets laughs by saying "Fuck" a thousand times, and shows like Family Guy, which fires jokes out like a shotgun, some of them hits and misses, than FUNNY shows like Futurama, Blackaddar, Scrubs and the like which scored laughs by being WITTY. Welcome to the new decade of comedy, I guess. But hey, it's a vote.

Also: you're spot on there, Gazpop.

< Message edited by TheFuzz_1989 -- 15/10/2010 11:07:28 AM >

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 602
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 15/10/2010 3:42:19 PM   
gazpop

Cheers Fuzzy. But spot on with what? If I get a compliment (rare) my ego needs to at least know what it was referring to so I can push that angle again in any other thread we both belong to. Nice Av by the way.
ps-What's with all the scrubs haters? Zach is cool and the shows are a hoot. I love shows that don't take themselves too seriously and do musical episodes and cut dream sequences and have characters like Cox and the Janitor. Fuck them anyway, the losers.

< Message edited by gazpop -- 15/10/2010 3:43:52 PM >

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 603
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 16/10/2010 6:42:58 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

@Gaz: You were spot on about people taking everything too seriously in a vote, tastes changing, and shows not necessarily the "best". Did that help your ego?

Cheers about the avatar, yours is cool too.

I'm not getting all of the Scrubs hate either. I think some people don't get it, like the fact that these are serious doctors messing about, etc. Cox and Janitor are great, but I think Ted is funny no matter what he says. You're right, the haters can go fuck themselves.

Post #: 604
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 16/10/2010 11:48:13 AM   
gazpop

Amen to that, fuck the haters. They just don't get it. And they're probably racist and don't like 2 best friends being white and black. Not at the same time each obviously. It doesn't push the moral side in your face, and when it does, it knows it is doing so and rips itself accordingly. I don't know how to start a thread. Maybe I've not been on here long enough but I'd definitely post on a 'scrubs' thread. And you're right, Ted is never anything except hilarious. Also love some of the cameos. Brendan Fraser was great. And so is JD's brother. there. Maybe I'm comin' across as too much of a teenager here, but I'm only human, and I've always had a thing for Heather Graham. She was a much better 'kook' than Phoebe off Friends whose character I felt was a little too contrived, too try hard. "Look at me look at me, aren't I kooky", you know? See, this is the great stuff we could have on the 'scrubs' thread. (sigh) Not to be I guess.

< Message edited by gazpop -- 16/10/2010 11:50:32 AM >

Post #: 605
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 17/10/2010 1:25:59 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=5290&mpage=1&key=scrubs&NID=0#5290 - Scrubs aka funniest show ever thread

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=529461&mpage=1&key=scrubs&NID=0#529461 - Scrubs appreciation

I did a little search. The second I commented on a while ago, in a hope to bump it. Still no activity :( Damn, people need to watch this show again!

< Message edited by TheFuzz_1989 -- 17/10/2010 1:27:12 AM >

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 606
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 18/10/2010 10:53:46 PM   
SamSolo

Agree on Scrubs. It was great. The patter between JD and Janitor was the highlight of my week.

Nothing beats the West Wing for me. Although Dexter runs it a close second.

C.J.: They sent me two turkeys. The most photo-friendly of the two gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a childrens zoo. The runner-up gets eaten.
BARTLET: If the Oscars were like that, Id watch.

Post #: 607
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 21/10/2010 6:57:41 PM   
1jonssonh

Great list, would have liked to see frasier and friends a bit higher up but you've got all my favorites. I don't like the fact that Lost is so high up, but a lot of people like that show for some reason so I guess it belongs there. My only problem is that Yes Minister did not make it up there!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 608
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 15/12/2010 7:29:00 AM   
jenniferhomes

The Only show that I am currently watching on tv is Glee.. I really appreciate if they can make some very good teen shows as Glee in the upcoming time.

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 609
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 21/2/2011 4:03:27 PM   
whereisthesalt

My jaw dropped when I saw scrubs above curb and the office.
Then friends above Seinfeld, Of course, humor is extremely subjective, so I guess I can agree to disagree.
But when it comes to putting BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER ABOVE THE SOPRANOS, there really is no excuse.
This is based on WHAT?
ACTING?
WRITING?
SCREENPLAY?
DIRECTING?

Sopranos is excellent on all of these criteria's while Buffy is mediocre AT BEST.
THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST STUPID LIST THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN AND THAT INCLUDES A LIST THAT PUT STEVE BAILEY ABOVE PAUL CHAMBERS.
It is also the only list that I've found frustrating.

(in reply to jenniferhomes)
Post #: 610
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 22/2/2011 7:27:44 AM   
snaze1

quote:

But when it comes to putting BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER ABOVE THE SOPRANOS, there really is no excuse.
This is based on WHAT?
ACTING?
WRITING?
SCREENPLAY?
DIRECTING?

Amen to that!
Lets get this straight, a poorly acted/20 an episode SFX budgeted, subteen aimed fantasy show about a schoolgirl vampire killer is better than the epic, adult themed, beautifully scrpted, multi layered, funny, multi award winning majesty that is The Soprano's?
In what kind of crazy, sick twisted world is that allowed to happen???

(in reply to whereisthesalt)
Post #: 611
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/3/2011 4:47:24 AM   
llcooljz

Dear Empire Magazine,

Although I do most wholeheartedly agree with your selections for the 50 greatest TV shows, I must express my utter dismay about your comment in selection #14 Firefly. You mention that the best episode is #5 episode out of gas. At first I thought there was some error, as we all know the order of the episodes aired by fox was not what was intended by Joss Whedon, out of gas is actually episode # 8. However after reading the description, it was obvious there was no mistake.

Out of Gas is a rather good episode, Jaynestown is by far better.

I don't want to give too much away, but think of a man, a cold hearted man who has done no real good in his life. That man is Jayne. The episode shows his transformation from this cold hearted character to one who able to show remorse and sympathy. Which makes us all believe that we can also become better people.

After reviewing this list, I am seriously considering canceling my subscription to Empire Magazine, as the journalistic integrity is not what it once was.

Sincerley yours,

John Z

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 612
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 14/6/2011 1:10:37 PM   
Aldo1

I would like to know if anybody knows how many voted in the 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time, an estimate would be enough? Thank You.

(in reply to llcooljz)
Post #: 613
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/10/2011 11:46:54 PM   
big c

how sopranos wasn't first i dont know and that my wife and kids aint in there is mind boggling any body on here will like my wife and kids if you dont you need theropy. some things just baffle me

Post #: 614
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/10/2011 11:53:37 PM   
big c

just had a quick look through and i dint see house or the mentalist. really was this 50 done by public vote or just some one who works for empire if so why post it as top fifty it should be his top 50

no house no my wife and kids and no mentalist

Post #: 615
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/10/2011 10:02:22 AM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthew1saracen

well i have list of top 10 greatest tv shows and that are:

Robot Chicken
Monk
Rescue Me
Fairy Tail
The Bachelor
Bad Girls Club
Being Human
Young Justice
Game of Thrones
Camelot

Monk? In your top ten ever? Sorry, I know, each to his/her own. Forgive me. Forgive me and my aching sides.

Post #: 616
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/10/2011 10:06:24 AM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: big c

#1 how sopranos wasn't first i dont know and that my wife and kids aint in there is mind boggling #2 any body on here will like my wife and kids if you dont you need theropy. some things just baffle me

#3 just had a quick look through and i dint see house or the mentalist. really was this 50 done by public vote or just some one who works for empire if so why post it as top fifty it should be his top 50

#4 no house no my wife and kids and no mentalist

#1 cos more people voted for other stuff?

#2 I'm sure your wife and kids are lovely, lovely people. There's probably a separate thread for that kind of chat though.

#3 there's the prob bob; you need to read through more and find out from those with big brains the reason why the list is as it is. I aint tellin ya!

#4 no house, no wife and kids, mentalist......crystal meth yeah? maybe you shouldn't watch Breaking Bad?

< Message edited by gazpop -- 5/10/2011 10:07:26 AM >

(in reply to big c)
Post #: 617
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/10/2011 12:54:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: big c

just had a quick look through and i dint see house or the mentalist. really was this 50 done by public vote or just some one who works for empire if so why post it as top fifty it should be his top 50

no house no my wife and kids and no mentalist

That was a truly awful show and doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same post as House and Metalist.

Gaz I love you!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to big c)
Post #: 618
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/10/2011 3:47:23 PM   
gazpop

Thanks HQ. Mine's a Westons Organic cider
Get you one luv?

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 619
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/10/2011 3:59:58 PM   
Harley Quinn

I'll hold you to that on the 5th Gaz!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 620
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/10/2011 5:46:31 PM   
gazpop

Deal

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 621
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/5/2012 12:08:04 PM   
mudia

Would someone be so kind as to let me know why BREAKING BAD is not on this list...

what about Rome?

IMHO... wire should be #1
shows like buffy etc... even though they had big followings should most certainly not be above most of the shows on the list AND certainly not above breaking bad!

< Message edited by mudia -- 9/5/2012 12:09:09 PM >

Post #: 622
RE: CARNIVALE!!! - 9/5/2012 12:08:44 PM   
mudia

quote:

ORIGINAL: indy2606

Where the F*CK is carnivale?!?!?! That was the best show ever. They still need to make an episode 3!
Everybody who voted here, has to see that show! Really really really really good!!!

yes it was brilliant but too expensive to keep going .....

< Message edited by mudia -- 9/5/2012 12:12:50 PM >

(in reply to indy2606)
Post #: 623
Top 10 - 9/5/2012 12:27:53 PM   
mudia

my top 10

#1 The Wire - probably the best thing we will ever witness on TV. In fact it should not even be mentioned on this list because it is unfair to the other shows.

the rest in no particular order

Breaking Bad - I seriously can't get over how this is not on the list

Arrested Development
CYE

BSG
Firefly

West Wing

Sopranos

Rome
Deadwood

Honourable mentions:
Carnivale
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
The League
ER
Black Adder
Modern Family
X files
Twin Peaks
Scrubs
GOT

< Message edited by mudia -- 9/5/2012 12:28:20 PM >

(in reply to mudia)
Post #: 624
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/5/2012 12:40:35 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: mudia

Would someone be so kind as to let me know why BREAKING BAD is not on this list...

Check the dates....

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to mudia)
Post #: 625
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/5/2012 2:31:37 PM   
Myxomatosis

Buffy before The Sopranos?

Pfft

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 626
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 19/5/2012 7:45:07 AM   
gazpop

This is gonna run and run and run......
besides, everyone knows Blackadder should be "errghghhhh" (sounds of crook pulling me back across stage)

(in reply to Myxomatosis)
Post #: 627
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 15/8/2012 5:01:50 PM   
fostercall

24 AND Lost above The Wire? And Breaking Bad's absent...

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 628
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 15/8/2012 5:16:55 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: fostercall

24 AND Lost above The Wire? And Breaking Bad's absent...

This thread/list existed before Breaking Bad did in this country. Which has been said more than once in this thread

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to fostercall)
Post #: 629
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 19/1/2013 10:02:36 PM   
InProblematique

I specifically joined this forum to tell whoever compiled it to shove off until they've seen M*A*S*H. This list is completely ridiculous without its inclusion. It should be in, at the very least, the top 10.

You people are out of your minds for not including that masterpiece.

< Message edited by InProblematique -- 19/1/2013 10:03:46 PM >

Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 20 [21] 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 [21] 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI