Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 14/7/2009 8:21:20 PM  1 votes
paulie walnuts

1. The Sopranos
2. Arrested Development
3. The Wire
4. Dexter
5. Lost
6. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
7. The Simpsons
8. South Park
9. Mad Men (I know it came after the list)
10. 24

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 571
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 26/8/2009 4:36:26 PM   
Hummy

Buffy at #2 are you having a laugh?

(in reply to paulie walnuts)
Post #: 572
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/10/2009 11:31:57 AM   
joechambers

Great to see Scrubs so high, but House should be in the Top 20 somewhere. 

Post #: 573
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 27/11/2009 6:53:02 PM   
David_Davidson

This list is rubbish. It is obvious that the author or committee that made the list was born in the '90s and is most likely mentally challenged... Friends is garbage. It should not even be on the list. In fact most of these shows should not be on the list. But what can you expect from someone who was not even alive when M*A*S*H or All in The Family was on the air...

Seriously, Friends at #7 and Band of Brothers and Deadwood barely made the list?!

I know this is just some stupid online list that means diddly squat, but for a film and television buff this list makes me want to vomit. Fawlty Towers at #28? I am an American and I find it disgusting it was beat by a piece of steaming offal like Friends... Six Feet Under which is likely the greatest Drama or Comedy ever written for television is # 27?! Well looking at the top 10 I guess I should be glad it even made the list... Futurama and Family guy should not even be on the list, and the Simpson's has been garbage for the last decade. Python at the bottom of the list... this is a freaking crime against good taste. With every click to advance the page and see what was next on the list was one outrage after another. For Family Guy to be ranked even on the same list as Python, Black Adder or Fawlty Towers.... ponderous, freaking ponderous. Family guy is for mouth breathers who are taking a break from American Idol and lack the intellect to enjoy well crafted and witty comedy. It has no subtlety, it beats the viewer over the head with its cliche lazily written punchlines.

SCRUBS BEAT BLACK ADDER?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!? RAGE FUEL HEROES EVEN MAKING THE LIST?!

This list is making the rounds on the internet image/message boards and we are all raging and laughing at the same time. Perhaps this was just an expertly engineered troll to get buzz going for this site... if so, Bravo, well played Sir Troll. Friends beat Seinfeld................................................ Don't even get me started on LOST, the "we make it up as we go" television. Buffy #2, DoHoHo!

............................................________
....................................,.-'...................``~.,
.............................,.-..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......=-._......";,,./`..../............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

< Message edited by David_Davidson -- 27/11/2009 7:19:56 PM >

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 574
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 27/11/2009 7:36:33 PM   
elab49

I'd suggest rereading the blurb - it was not 'author' or 'committee' but a poll open to absolutely anyone and everyone.

Still - at least unlike the US we show greater appreciation for The Wire  (although I actually agree with most of your disagreements on the list, except Seinfeld and the slight overstatement on Six Feet Under).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to David_Davidson)
Post #: 575
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 27/11/2009 7:58:22 PM   
David_Davidson

That would explain why the list is eerily similar to the imdb top 250 then.

The Wire is not really my cup of tea, but in the States we are saturated with a plethora of copshows. So much so that even the best ones just seem tired and played out. I really tried to get into it, but it was just not to my liking.

Also, I forgot to mention Breaking Bad. If you have not heard of it yet since it does not air(as far as I know) in the UK or Europe, you should really check it out. It should be on that list somewhere.

For a list of The 50 Greatest Shows of All Time it should really be voted on by enthusiasts and not the masses who have probably not heard of 90% of great television shows made over the last half century or more. It seems to be full of shows that are popular among this generation. But Heroes and Friends... that just takes the cake.

I grew up with British Comedy since my father was a huge fan. I always thought the British had more sophisticated and better tastes than the average American as far as comedy goes. I was stunned when I saw the ranking.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 576
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 27/11/2009 8:01:49 PM   
elab49

Breaking Bad is the highest, newest, entry in my personal top 100 - it was shown over here ages ago on FX UK, and is getting another run out on, I think, one of the terrestrial channels.

The Wire? I think pretty much stopped being AN Other cop show about half way through the first epi - cop shows don't normally do state of the nation stuff. And they certainly don't go where S4 went.

You might appreciate this list more - a personal top 100. http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1935695

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 577
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 18/12/2009 5:24:08 AM   
ash_1000

NO HOUSE!
NO BOSTON LEGAL
NO TONIGHT SHOW
NO WWE
NO ANIME OF ANY KIND
you can crib about friends/lost/heroes etc all you want but they were/are  good shows and they deserve to be in the list (maybe not as high though)
this list looks it was geekmania and halfway changed its mind to popular shows
seriously just put all the star trek as one show and rank it anywhere between 11-20

ps totally agree with greys anatomy and smallville

(in reply to wallsy)
Post #: 578
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/12/2009 3:06:17 AM   
bdowd52

Is the age of those who came up with this list 23? A few in the top 10 belong (24, Friends,Steinfeld) How could MASH or All in the Family or Dallas or NYPD or Hill Street Blues not even be in the top 50? How about I Love Lucy or the Honeymooners? You have some shows that were only on for a year; you think that tells you something?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 579
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 30/12/2009 12:39:15 PM   
mariashern1

My Top 10 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time
1. Heroes
2. 24
3. The Office
4. THE SHIELD
5. The Simpsons
6. Friends
7. 30 ROCK
8. Scrubs
9. LOST
10.Weeds

Edit - nice try. Not good enough.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/12/2009 1:13:51 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 580
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/1/2010 1:57:40 AM   
magicianhumphrey

Nice Thread BTW.

My Top 15 TV Shows:

1. True Blood - HBO
2. Skins (Especially Series 1) - E4
3. The Wire - HBO
4. Dexter -
5. Heroes -
6. Prison Break (Series 1 & 2 only)
7. Mis-Fits - E4
8. Battlestar Galactica (Remake)
9. Ideal - BBC
10. Weeds
11. How Not To Live Your Life
12. Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles .
13. Six Feet Under - HBO
14. Shameless - (Especially Series 1)
15. Star Wars: The Clone Wars Cartoon Series

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 581
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/2/2010 2:25:09 AM   
galaxyruin

Alright list, but so much of it is just entertainment, no ground-breaking stuff. All the latest and greatest ground-breakers are there,
The Soprano's,
The Wire,
The Shield,
Seinfeld, etc.
but what about the early ones:
Hillstreet Blues,
Barney Miller,
Silent Witness,
Johnathan Creek.
Would have liked to have seen more British drama's up there.

I think it needs to be updated like some say, Mad Men and such.

< Message edited by galaxyruin -- 25/2/2010 2:26:26 AM >

Post #: 582
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/2/2010 3:45:22 AM   
magicianhumphrey

Skins, Mis-Fits, Ideal, Shameless and How Not To Live Your Life are all the newer British favorites for me! - maybe not so much drama, although I'd say Skins has a lot of dramatical bits, but is maybe more artistic almost painting with film...

The majority of the photography is sensational. When my fave character died at the end of the first cast season, that was drama for me! lol.

There was a very good crime-style British drama with Ray Winstone a few years back and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called? Ring a bell anyone...

Ah can't resist had to look it up... "Vincent" now that was a class British TV Drama.

< Message edited by magicianhumphrey -- 25/2/2010 3:55:56 AM >

(in reply to galaxyruin)
Post #: 583
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/2/2010 10:19:37 AM   
zola1985

Why hasn't Being human been mentioned.

"I don't want to kill you! What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No, no, you... you complete me."

Post #: 584
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/2/2010 10:26:55 AM   
relativelyrelative

quote:

ORIGINAL: zola1985

because it's emo shit?Because russel tovey has a voice that makes you want to immediately twat him as hard as possible in the face?

A more pointed question - how does quantum leap get the 50 slot, and a tired cartoon series achieve number? Insanity, I tell you.

< Message edited by relativelyrelative -- 25/2/2010 10:30:14 AM >

(in reply to zola1985)
Post #: 585
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/2/2010 11:29:36 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: zola1985

The more obvious answer is it isn't relevant to the list so no-one could complain it wasn't on it - look at the date the list was done and the date S1 of Being Human was shown.

quote:

(in reply to zola1985)
Post #: 586
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/2/2010 12:27:15 PM   
kristimccollum

my all time favorite is F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/2/2010 12:56:20 PM >

Post #: 587
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/2/2010 12:56:53 PM   
elab49

So the preferred choice of adbots everywhere is Friends? Hardly a recommendation

quote:

(in reply to kristimccollum)
Post #: 588
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 26/2/2010 1:31:15 AM   
galaxyruin

quote:

ORIGINAL: bdowd52

quote:

Is the age of those who came up with this list 23?

Totally agree, can't believe I forgot MASH and I Love Lucy. Never big on the Honeymooners. Next we'll see the O.C. and reality TV on here

(in reply to bdowd52)
Post #: 589
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 26/2/2010 2:49:47 AM   
magicianhumphrey

I've got to say I watched a couple of shows of Being Human, some bits have been good, but it fails in to constantly deliver, much like Vampire Diaries which barely kept me entertained for 2 episodes...

Post #: 590
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 2/3/2010 4:05:01 PM   
mulligano

I agree with a lot of the posts - wheres the prisoner? etc etc
But come on - where the hell was Breaking Bad? one of the greatest bits of television ever created?
And Dexter? at 30?..... I just dunno.....

And Buffy at No.2?

(in reply to magicianhumphrey)
Post #: 591
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 2/3/2010 4:24:30 PM   
petecriss8000

I think at the time the list was created Breaking Bad had only aired its first, seven-episode season. Not enough to go on perhaps?

(in reply to mulligano)
Post #: 592
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 2/3/2010 4:55:51 PM   
elab49

At the time of voting it hadn't even finished it's US airing of S1. More picked it up when it made it to FX, later than that.

quote:

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 593
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/5/2010 5:14:51 AM   
dannyclegg81

look guys we've all seen some great shows down the years but no show has ever encapsulated the imagination like lost, and it had the most fitting and beautiful ending of any show in history. we all felt the rollercoaster of lindeloff and abrams from the word go, and we all cried and laughed at the final episodes. we all felt a connection with the show's agonists, and antagonists, and they ended it perfectly. this show should be number one, please change the top 50 cos lost deserves better then 5th

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 594
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 25/5/2010 5:19:47 AM   
dannyclegg81

hey dude i agree that fawlty towers should be higher up the list, but friends was iconic to so many people it deserves it's place, buffy??????? wtf!!! lost was just the most original idea ever created for tv, and it finished so perfectly it made people weep. it should be number 1, with fawlty towers number 2, blackadder number 3, and the simpsons number 4, maybe prison break number 5

Post #: 595
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/7/2010 11:42:27 PM   
vicky93

I don't believe it!!!! Where the hell is THE O.C. and HOUSE??!!

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 596
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/7/2010 11:44:02 PM   
vicky93

yeah and 4400

(in reply to vicky93)
Post #: 597
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 21/7/2010 4:09:36 AM   
cartman701

The Simpsons deserves number one because it was the smartest show around up until very recently.  If you can't admit that it's at least in the top ten, you're stupid.  But South Park should've been in the top 10 or even top 5.  The biggest travesty of this list is that The Twilight Zone is not on it.  Really?  Is America, along with the world, so stupid that The Twilight Zone is not on this list?  It should be in the top 5.  As a whole this list is really biased.  I don't think there was one fifties show, and I'm really surprised that at least I Love Lucy isn't on it, considering the fanbase.  Way too many shows from the last 15-20 years.  I think that while user votes should be considered, the critics should ultimately decide the order of the list and add any deserving shows.  Like The Twilight Zone.  Oh, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer number 2?  It's lucky to be on this list at all. 

Post #: 598
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 21/7/2010 6:52:08 PM   
columbia_13

I agree, The Twilight Zone my number one show of all time. The original series which start in 1959 and ended in 1964. Not the 1980's ones, they lost it a bit then. Plus, Rod Serling made the whole thing so much more exciting when he came in at the start to tell us the premise of the story! The stories that they had (a number of which were based on short stories by Richard Matheson) are the most imaginative and exciting that I have ever watched, including all series that I have watched up to now.

Name's Smalls. Leonard Smalls. My friends call me Lenny... only I ain't got no friends.

(in reply to cartman701)
Post #: 599
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/8/2010 7:16:29 PM   
Dano1163

I personally think each and every decision everyone is making, as edits to the list, are biased. We all have opinions, don't attack the list. Just decide on your own version.

However if I were to decide I would have loved to have seen Smallville in the list, I love that show.

Also it seems people hate both Friends and Buffy, both of which I love...

(in reply to columbia_13)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI