Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:06:15 PM   
Sharmian

What a load of old tosh in this list!  Too many recent shows that haven't been able to demonstrate success over the passage of time.  Far too many trite American shows, when there are some truly great British ones missing such as "Prime Suspect".  And, as someone has mentioned earlier, where was "Hill Street Blues" one of the very best US shows?  And "M*A*S*H"?  Obviously the readership of Empire is too young to remember it!  I do wholeheartedly agree with some of the entries such as "24" but the very best ones are very low down the list.  Truly a huge disappointment.   In years to come, I suggest, many of the entries in this list will be forgotten, so calling it "the 50 best TV series of all time" is a bit ridiculous.  Never mind, Empire, you can't legislate for your readers' taste!  An interesting exercise all the same, so thanks for the idea.  Kind regards,  Silver surfer

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 31
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:09:28 PM   
Art Vandelay

I can't understand all this moaning and whining! It's not as though Empire put all the shows in order. Just calm down and stop moaning over how a show you ain't too fond of has a larger fanbase than your favourite show.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to kindofblue)
Post #: 32
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:16:10 PM   
charlesmoonshrub

a few surprises, and a few that made me spit (LOST?!! fuck off Lost!!) 6 ft under shoulda been higher, and in response to the guy who put down the Boosh, no, seriously, where was the Boosh?!!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 33
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:17:32 PM   
Dr Yakubu

I think The Simpsons shouldn't have made top spot because the new episodes are cack, King of the Hill is much better, no doubt some of the earlier episodes of the Simpsons where brrilliant (Scorpio, Mr Plow, etc..) and Big Train is much better than Spaced, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer ahead of Lost, I know the acting is not particulary great in either show but Buffy stinks of B-movie acting. Other great shows that didn't make it in where Armstrong and Miller and Not the Nine O Clock News too many new shows in there that haven't proved they can last the test of time!! 

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 34
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:21:30 PM   
monkeypunch

That was shit scrubs is crap and Buffy at 2 and Simpsonís at 1 that show has not been good since series 12 and its 19 now, lets face it x-files should have been 1 itís better than lost, and the
fecking west wing thatís god some people and friends thatís ok at best, x-files is better than all those through 8-1.

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 35
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:35:56 PM   
OllieK

The Simpsons?! I cant believe that all of those quality TV's shows seconded to The Simpsons. It's been crap for years now, and should NOT be number 1. That spot belongs to The Wire, Lost or The Sopranos.

(in reply to monkeypunch)
Post #: 36
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:41:45 PM   
claudemg

i have a feeling we shall be adding "john adams" to this list very very soon. it's brilliant.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 37
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:45:17 PM   
Ethanial

How on Earth is Family Guy better than Arrested Development?
That's the scariest prospect ever, i sat through a recent episode to see if it got any better, laughed less in the whole 22 minutes than two minutes of AD, guess some people just like their comedy bad...

(in reply to claudemg)
Post #: 38
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:46:26 PM   
Larry of Arabia

No House?

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to claudemg)
Post #: 39
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:52:45 PM   
butters411

Ummm greys anatomy is in the sewer along with all the other mediocre soap operas set in hospitals

(in reply to Sally_Ragdoll)
Post #: 40
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:53:15 PM   
rsman26

I agree with the list for the most part, but I do have a major issue, how could South Park not make it into the top ten and even worse its lower on the list than family guy, thou I do like Family guy, South Park is simply in another league, with its characters, the sharpest writing on T.V. puts it right up there with The Simpsons, I am disapointed that you constucted the list thus.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 41
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 6:54:31 PM   
Larry of Arabia

It's a reader vote, Empire didn't make the list.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to rsman26)
Post #: 42
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:00:01 PM   
steev_411

Pretty accurate list. Buffy seems to be getting most of the criticism which is understandable. People have a perception of the show from the premise and title and judge it without ever having watched it.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 43
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:02:58 PM   
jozpedro

Simpsons on mumber 1. An excelent choice. I would put Sopranos but still, Simpsons is absolute genius. It's a difficult choice.

Buffy in 2nd? I'm really sorry but I disagree. It should be, in my opinion, Sopranos. Buffy is a great show but, IMHO, not in the same league as Sopranos, Simpsons, The Wire, Seinfeld.

Lost is still to early for me. I'm loving it but it hasn't finished yet.

Seinfeld should be on the top 3 and Family Guy in a lower position.

Monty Python in such a low slot? To me it should be up there on the heavens of the top 10.

No Nip/Tuck? Well, that's a shame. The last season was not all that good but...

Californication? Still too early, I know, but I'm hoping it will be great.

These are my 2 cents.

Best Regards

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 44
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:03:11 PM   
general_potatoface

I am disappointed, but not surprised, that my beloved Carnivale is nowhere on the list. I didn't even notice Stargate SG-1 was nowhere to be seen cos I was just hoping Carnivale would make an appearance.

I was very pleased that you mentioned my fave episode of Futurama as the high point of the show, but I also think you were far too soft on the Simpsons. No, nothing can touch the Simpsons at it's best, but those days are now Ten years gone!

Seriously, there was no "dip" in quality, there was a plummet, somewhere around 2000-2001.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 45
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:06:27 PM   
bobthegrinch

Being a public vote, I don't know how anyone can point the blame at empire here. I was actually surprised by the quality of most of this list. I can't really argue with how things are placed as it is a popularity contest. I do however seriously question anyone who voted for Heroes as it was clearly lacking enough plot to fill the number of episodes it had, directly ripped off other sources with too little change for Tim Kring to take credit. The fact that as the show progressed almost every single character revealed at convenient moments that they were also super powered and the sheer dissapointment of the series final showdown along with the apparent lack of quality in the new series suggests to me this is a victory of marketing over quality and the fact the show has a solid fan base rather than casual viewers genuinely shocks me. That Japanese guy was good though, they should just call it Hiro and make it about him.

Elsewhere the Simpsons was obvious although I didn't vote for it. It has one truly great main character (Homer) one alright (Bart) one spare part (Marge) and one who's down right annoying (Lisa) and works best when it features Homer and supporting characters. Family Guy has been very average since it was renewed so I don't think belongs on a list of greatest tv shows that isn't exclusively dealing with animation. Futurama is alright where it is, I personally think South Park should've been higher as it's satire is consistently sharp and fearless (occasionally they hammer home their personal point of view a tad heavily though).

Of course the A-team wasn't there, maybe we have fond memories of it and the concept isn't bad but re-watching it now, it's clearly a bit crap. Glad to see Spaced and Father Ted in there but dissapointed more British comedy didn't get a look in. I'm Alan Partridge and Brass Eye both manage to cram in more classic moments in what equates to less than one series of Friends than it ever did in in 10, Peep Show also better. Also on the American comedy front, what the hell is Friends doing in the top 10 when Cheers doesn't even get a look in. I'd take Norm, Cliff, The Coach or Woody on their own any day above the characters in Friends which is passable watching but seems to garner popularity and votes from channel 4 insisting on bashing us round the head with it when we have our weekend hangovers. My faith in other people was partially restored by the lack of Mighty Boosh which has the occasional good joke surrounded by 'this is so whacky' tosh.

I don't think Lost counts as tv show seeing as the only people i've ever known stick with it do so because they illegally download the whole series before it's on over here and watch it in one weekend (though by that logic I'd have to discount 24 which I have to watch on DVD rather than telly). Basically I just don't understand why people like that, but they obviously do.

Glad to see Curb Your Enthusiasm, Firefly and Life on Mars up their as well and pleasantly surprised to see new Dr Who so high. Bit confused about Buffy being so high. I love that show but it didn't make my top 5 when I voted and was surprised to see it basically being voted the best show ever that actually films real actors.

I could go on but i've said far more than enough.

< Message edited by bobthegrinch -- 28/3/2008 7:14:23 PM >

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 46
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:08:25 PM   
jozpedro

I forgot, someone said something that South Park should be higher, I concur absolutely.

To me it should be on the Top 10.

(in reply to Sharmian)
Post #: 47
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:10:12 PM   
Calnert

Although I think some inclusions on the list are pretty debatable, maybe as a follow-up to the article there could be a list of shows that are generally not seen on any lists? I mean of course there are plenty of 'well-known' (by definition) and critically acclaimed shows that have been excluded - The Prisoner (in my opinion, as I guess that's what the list is all about - readers' opinions) amongst others - but maybe an article listing far lesser-known series would be a good guide, as in ones that for some reason or other were short-lived but, you know...good, or by some terms brilliant.
The animated series' that are featured - South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons - are all present and rightfully so, but then again there are numerous shows that are worthy of being made aware of - about 90% of Adult Swim's original programming, for example, or the recent 'Code Monkeys'.
I don't have any issues with the list much at all, but I would say on a seperate note it would be fantastic to see a list of television shows rarely or barely seen by anyone, albeit due to where or when they are shown, but considered as recommended viewing.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 48
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:13:23 PM   
pog

well done empire on your brilliant reserch on prison break. "The first season (the one which was actually set in a prison)" Does anyone in your office watch this show? The third season is also set in a prison. Keep up the good work

< Message edited by pog -- 28/3/2008 7:14:28 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 49
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:26:17 PM   
danlee1001

No Thunderbirds???  NO THUNDERBIRDS????

Seriously, it's a bit of a scandle that Gerry Anderson isn't represented on this list.  There haven't been many shows with as much excitment and imagination as Thunderbirds.  It struck the perfect blend between drama and blowing stuff up.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 50
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:33:49 PM   
Cleric John Preston

What is annoying me is the amount of people who come on here to bitch and moan about this being there and that not being there. It is a public vote, people, voted by readers of the magazine or visitors to this site. If you want to moan about The Sopranos being beat by Buffy or the fact that Stargate didn't make the list, please take a moment and think....

Just because YOU have seen a show doesn't mean everybody else who voted has. THAT is why the list turned out the way it did, no other reason.

(Sorry if this is a crappy first post, but I read the results and had to comment)

(in reply to pog)
Post #: 51
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 7:42:05 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Lots of newbies moaning like this list is the definitive list of TV shows ever - get over yourself.  Saying that this list means more then a critics vote as it's the publiv - the fans who have voted.  I agree with the list for the most part...

The Simpsons at it's best is hard to beat and so it deserves the number one spot
Buffy should be number two! It's better then 90% of TV shows out there.  Well 99% according to this list.  The people moaning about it have obviously never seen it! Angel is also great and not fluff as someone said (idiot) Scrubs is the best comedy on TV today (end of) and deserves it's place.

I would put Frasier, Veronica Mars, Quantum Leap and Firefly higher and I would have added Sliders and Smallville

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 28/3/2008 7:44:26 PM >

(in reply to Cleric John Preston)
Post #: 52
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:07:26 PM   
David Dvd 1988

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic
I would put Frasier, Veronica Mars, Quantum Leap and Firefly higher and I would have added Sliders and Smallville

Same here cycnic, i wish father ted was in the top ten for just this alone

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8LuVhR1CGCI

'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!'

http://www.angryalien.com

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 53
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:13:22 PM   
mozzy_gal

I'm sooo happy Heroes was included but I beleive it should've been a lot higher!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 54
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:13:36 PM   
fernetcontonica

I'm boggled by the lack of classic shows, like The Pink Panther Show or the Twilight Zone, for instance, it's like they were simply taken for granted and not even considered.

Anyways, althought I don't particularly agree with the list, as it was voted for the public it will necesarily include the series that have generated a certain following.

Glad to see Father Ted there

La Campane del Infierno 9/10
The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 55
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:16:06 PM   
IMac

...very odd to see Stargate SG-1 not there?!...

...Also, I would say the list is a bit flabby and populist in the middle...and although I m glad to see Farscape on the list - it should be top 10!!!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 56
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:24:22 PM   
Judiedenchinatrench

What no heartbeat? ...!!!!

Only kidding- great list!! but maybe a few too many modern US cop shows in there for my liking.

Was glad to see the X-files in the top 10!!
Nothing touches the Simpsons!..well maybe not the ones after 2000 and the movie..but whoes complaining

(in reply to Olly Richards)
Post #: 57
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:26:09 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Great to see scrubs high up even though it should be even higher.
I thought 24 would be higher too based on the pop ups on the main empire page.

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to IMac)
Post #: 58
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:30:22 PM   
samthemanc

Buffy the vampire slayer!!! Are you havin a laugh?
Good to see the West Wing so high though, should have been three places higher in my humble opinion but come on how is Buffy better than anything other then perhaps angel?
Own up those that voted
I've not had time to look at the whole list but is the Mighty Boosh really not on it?
Quality!!! What a pile of mindless sh**e that is, it's just two guys from uni being themselves. Thousands of people do that kind of material in uni dorms everyday all over the country. And with better acting

< Message edited by samthemanc -- 28/3/2008 8:32:59 PM >

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. - Winston Churchill

Dying's a day worth living for - Captain Barbossa

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 59
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 28/3/2008 8:40:18 PM   
theoriginalcynic

You're having a laugh yes? Buffy is a series that critics and fans adore...a series that is listed in TV Guide's top 50 TV shows ever made.  A series that is listed on the 100 greatest musicals ever made and so on... 

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 28/3/2008 8:42:34 PM >

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI