Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 27/5/2008 11:22:12 AM   
andriesk

This list contains most of the best 50 shows of all time - just in a frighteningly bad order: The Wire isnt better than Buffy? DS9 is by far the best Star Trek. The Shield is there but Weeds isnt? Prison Break over Oz?

Heres my top ten:

1. Arrested Development
2. The Wire
3. Six Feet Under
4. Deadwood
5. The Simpsons
6. Twin Peaks
7. The Sopranos
8. Battlestar Galactica
9. Star Trek DS9
10. Weeds

All relatively new but by far the strongest series ever.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 541
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 27/5/2008 11:51:39 AM   
Freak89

mine are

10- the simpsons

9- scrubs

8- murder one

7- seinfeld

6- the bill

5- Fawlty Towers

4- Press Gang

3- The West Wing

2- M*A*S*H

1- Murder, She Wrote

(in reply to andriesk)
Post #: 542
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 27/5/2008 10:26:31 PM   
alamo1

Top 5 in any order
rome
battlestar galactica
angel
lost
csi las vegas

(in reply to Freak89)
Post #: 543
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 23/6/2008 9:04:41 AM   
shoogi

I registered especially to say that The Shield deserves a top 10 spot. I say it's way better than friends or seinfeld (I hate sitcoms), x-files, Buffy (what the hell is it doing on #2) and most other stuff at 1-20.
I also believe Homicide: Life in the street should be around somewhere...

(in reply to alamo1)
Post #: 544
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/7/2008 3:19:17 PM   
bychance

The top 50 greatest television shows of all time is a hard task to compile. I think it would of been relatively easier to limit it to genre. 

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 545
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 17/7/2008 5:17:53 PM   
entf@k

And where´s  House M.D., How i met your mother, Grey´s anatomy ???

The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time ???

The Simpsons - ok , Lost - ok , Prison Break - ok, X-Files, Friends...

But Buffy is number two ? 24 is number six??? Bad Joke!!!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 546
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 31/7/2008 8:45:21 PM   
Fade to Black 411

i havent seen half of those shows lol
but father ted shud be in the top ten

and malcolm in the middle ans that 70's show shud at least be in the top 30

jackass, viva la bam, two and a half men, spongebob wud also be in my list :)

only fools and fawlty towers much higher plz

Hey my name is John

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 547
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/8/2008 2:01:58 PM   
michaelqb

Well cant argue with #1
The Simpsons is the greatest thing to have been shown on TV.

I am upset to have not seen The West Wing #2 and I'm still looking to to find where The Wonder Years went to? 
Winnie Cooper will not be too impressed that you dont like like her!

It takes two to lie.. one to lie and another to listen.

That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies.

(in reply to Fade to Black 411)
Post #: 548
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/8/2008 3:15:30 PM   
scpetit

Wow what a joke Empire

Cheers
MASH
NYPD Blue
Hill Street Blues
I Love Lucy
Twilight Zone
Andy Griffiths Sow
All In The Family
Happy Days
The Cosby Show
The Wonder Years
Married With CHildren
Roseanne
Miami Vice

geesh and even I am leaving out a lot

Post #: 549
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/8/2008 6:02:34 PM   
hombrepoo

man thats stupid the wire is the best show ever x files should have been second father ted should have been in a beeter position and band of brothers arrested development is better than 18 and Oz isnt even there!! Oh well lol

klopek...... what is that slovic?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 550
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/8/2008 6:12:28 PM   
hombrepoo

mine would be
1. the wire
2. the x files
3. arrested development
4. 24
5. the sopranos
6. heroes
7. oz
8. father ted
9. band of brothers
10. south park

klopek...... what is that slovic?

(in reply to hombrepoo)
Post #: 551
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/8/2008 9:56:27 PM   
Mikey C

Why, this list is a travesty. Number 7 should be number 9, Number 3 should be at 17, and 37 should be no higher than 39. WHAT A JOKE.  Also, where is Quincy?

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to hombrepoo)
Post #: 552
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 18/8/2008 12:49:26 PM   
lona_no_friends

What Im pissed off about is the supreme lack of TOM AND JERRY!!! Not even just for nostalgia's sake.

And you got the best episode of band of brothers wrong. The BEST episode was episode 6, 'Bastogne'. Brutal, belligerent and beautiful.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 553
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 18/8/2008 1:29:27 PM   
rancorpuppet

No 'Round the Bend' either - a 'Spitting Image' for kids crossed with the humour of the 'Oink!' comic - hosted by puppet reptile Doc Croc. A serious omission - best kid's show ever which actually did what people think they remember Tiswas doing -made kids laugh (I think I only got the larking and in-jokey humour of Tiswas watching recordings in my adulthood)

(in reply to lona_no_friends)
Post #: 554
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 20/8/2008 10:20:52 AM   
CORLEONE

I can't BELIEVE there is no place for OZ in this top 50! One of the most under-rated and overlooked shows in television history. A mixture of Prison Break, The Wire and The Sopranos - and came before all 3 of them. I envy anyone who hasn't seen it - simply because they can now start. DO IT. DO IT NOW!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to rancorpuppet)
Post #: 555
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 29/1/2009 4:52:30 PM   
lucyh15

i think that lost wasnt that good. i thought the first series was good, but i got really bored after the other series's.
they got the best Dr who dead on. that one was the freakiest i have ever seen.
And i thought that the best heroes was the one when it's all at the school in texas when peter saves claire.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 556
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 31/1/2009 12:42:01 PM   
Black Star

quote:

ORIGINAL: samthemanc

well obviously i know that, that's my issue. When i was thirteen i loved it. But i'm sorry the dialogue is mediocre at best and the fight scenes are laughable. Just look at the 'success' the 'actors' have had since, Alyson Hanigan's on what? American Pie 14? SMG keeps trying to be seen as credible actress but isn't doing a good job of it. I'm sorry but for this to be voted higher than such widely acclaimed programmes as the west wing and sopranos is in my opionion quite scary

And forgive my ignorance, but greatest musical?

Man I had to log in just to highlight the absurdity of your post. First of all, the dialogue is in no way mediocre at best. At its best the dialogue on Buffy was some of the best ever written for TV, and has led to so many imitations that people don't even realise where it originated from (the phrase 'bad hair day' for example).
Some of the fight scenes and special effects, on the other hand, are mediocre, and that's because Buffy didn't have the monster budget given to mediocre shows like Heroes. But the quality of the show despite the huge fan base and budget is something Heroes could learn from.
Finally, your argument that Buffy isn't good because the actors haven't gone on to huge fame is a ridiculous one- what does that have to do with the quality of their acting on Buffy? Judge an actor on his/her last performance, not on what they are doing now. SMG is still acting, just not in widely known big budget films.
Buffy was a hugely under-rated, ground-breaking programme that paved the way for dozens of other shows and the fact so many people can't get past a ridiculous name and some low-budget vampire prosthetics will always baffle me...

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 557
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/2/2009 6:35:19 AM   
audurth

Hehe it is funny reading all this thread and seeing what tv show should or shouldn´t be on the list. For me it shows what people watch and think are great. I am not surprised to see Simpsons on the top as it is very popular and everybody has seen it. As many people on this thread has been arguing on the second place, which i am still surprised about as i would have thought the tv shows like friends, seinfield, cheers, fraiser and similar shows that were really popular all around would be on the list and much higher, but i am glad many but still few old shows were on it. Would have liked to have seen shows like allo allo, morse, taggart, mash, poirot on the list and few others which i am not going to mention because they are like cult shows and don´t need to be on the list.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 558
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 2/3/2009 12:33:46 AM   
R.M.Parker

I was surprised to find that neither Peep Show nor Black Books made it's way onto the list, as they are two of the best written and wonderfully executed sitcoms ever made. At least Arrested Development and Seinfeld made the list - but how could they not? I wish you would have included Mission Hill, or Twitch City, or Boondocks - or any other number of little-known, underappreciated television classics, instead of including tired bubblegum shows like Friends and Scrubs. Kudos for the nod to Deadwood, though I think it should have been a little closer to the top ten.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 559
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 2/3/2009 8:07:02 PM   
bdmrmapf

I started looking through the reply's to this laughable article and was surprised how long it took me to find anyone referencing a few, just a few of the many, shows that were actually left off the list.  I don't have a problem with some on here, maybe their placement on the list though.  And it seems that there certainly is a younger demographic that made up the bulk of the "public vote."  But are you kidding me... and this is not for those that agreed and saw the ommissions as perplexing...

M.A.S.H. & All in the Family

Your numbers one and two... place them as you may!  All this talk about cameos, ground breaking storylines, big actors... they started it all.  And, they are still airing all the time... syndication works because of them.

Ridiculous that they were omitted... along with NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues, Cosby Show, Happy Days, Cheers (though Frasier made it???), The Jeffersons.. more recent you say?  How 'bout NipTuck?  Rescue Me? Boston Legal?  News Radio, 30 Rock..... did I forget any other multi-Emmy nominated programs?  I'm sure I did...... but apparently so did everyone else!  50 Greatest.... sad, sad sad!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 560
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 3/3/2009 11:50:34 AM   
morda898

Okay...Has anyone actually seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer?? Cause most of the posts on this forum seem to give the ridiculous answer of...No! It is the most awesome show ever although I do agree that The Simpsons should be higher because of it's unmatchable accessibility! People put it down because of its name and premise but if you were to actually give it a chance then you'd realize that is probably the deepest and most interesting show out there! The charcaters are phenomenal, as is the dialogue which is commonly sighted as the greatest thing about the show! And come on...What other show dares do things such as "Hush" or "Once more, with Feeling"....They could have failed so drastically but they didn't cause the show is so awesome...As is Joss Whedon! Master of all that is alive! :P If people could look past their ridiculous prejudice and see that it is near unmatchable in terms of awesomeness and re-watchability!

Although I do love Buffy more than any other TV Show (Well Buffy and Angel) I do still love pretty much all TV and I totally agree with the sopranos, the west wing, Lost, 24, The X-Files, the Wire and friends being in the top 10! They are so awesome...Also Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Seinfeld, Scurbs, Arrested Development, Angel, Family Guy, Futurama, Alias, Veronica Mars, Heroes and South Park should all be in the top 10 (Shame about our units of measurement :P) I think that shows such as Smallville, Supernatural and American Dad! should have been in it as well but what are you going to so....

But seriously - Buffy the Vampire Slayer!! It's near the top of that list for a reason people!!! :D:D

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 561
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/3/2009 10:43:22 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

The Simpsons must be the most overrated thing ever. Monty Python should be #1

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to morda898)
Post #: 562
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 16/3/2009 10:49:32 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: bdmrmapf

M.A.S.H. & All in the Family

Your numbers one and two... place them as you may!  All this talk about cameos, ground breaking storylines, big actors... they started it all.  And, they are still airing all the time... syndication works because of them.

Ridiculous that they were omitted... along with NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues, Cosby Show, Happy Days, Cheers (though Frasier made it???), The Jeffersons.. more recent you say?  How 'bout NipTuck?  Rescue Me? Boston Legal?  News Radio, 30 Rock..... did I forget any other multi-Emmy nominated programs?  I'm sure I did...... but apparently so did everyone else!  50 Greatest.... sad, sad sad!

All in the Family? That would be the remake of a British TV show from years earlier? We know where the ground, was broken, ta

Emmys as arbiters of great programmes? Excellent - so where exactly did they nominate The Wire?

Hill St Blues - the real argument for the start of modern TV - there you have a case.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to bdmrmapf)
Post #: 563
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 21/3/2009 1:31:40 PM   
nataliesunshine15

I think that 'The Wire' has been ignored majorly. It is the most relevant, correct, sassy, brilliantly written, fantastically acted show. I agree that this list is very unresearched. 'The Wire' has gained a massive cult following, and even Barack Obama has stated that it is his favourate TV show. I'm impressed that Joss Whedon  series have been acknowledged (though firefly was not a patch on Buffy and Angel). I'd also include 'House', 'Damages', 'The O.C', and place 'F.R.I.E.N.D.S' and 'Sex and the City' a lot higher, as they should be placed in better context (since they were groundbreaking shows for the 90's at the time). But seriously...'The Wire' ...just as good, if not better than 'The Sopranos'.

Love films, love to learn watch and chat about them.

Post #: 564
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 22/3/2009 9:04:33 PM   
Isabelle_M

I have no problems at all with Buffy occupying the number 2 spot. It quietly revolutionized the way TV drama is told with its care for characters and continuity. I dare say that without Buffy, more modern shows like BSG and The Shield would have either been impossible or far different in looks and tone.

The Wire doesn't deserve to be that low. In fact, it's so good that it doesn't even deserve a spot on this list. It deserves a category all of its own.

Playtime Magazine updates every Thursday

(in reply to nataliesunshine15)
Post #: 565
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2009 8:32:40 PM   
rmurray50

Glad to see The Simpsons and The Family Guy made the list while Little House on the Prairie did not. Well Done!!!     

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 566
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2009 8:34:42 PM   
rmurray50

Glad to see The Simpsons and The Family Guy made the list while Little House on the Prairie did not. Well Done!!!!!   

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 567
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 17/4/2009 2:46:34 AM   
Echo89

My top 10.

(clears throat) Ahem...
1. LOST.
2. Supernatural.
3. Buffy.
4. Angel.
5. Friends.
6. Prison Break.
7. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
8. Fringe.
9. Dollhouse.
10. The Big Bang Theory (far more funnier than 30 Rock)

(in reply to rmurray50)
Post #: 568
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 22/5/2009 4:04:13 PM   
ITB

I agree with most shows that got on the list, but I think Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Boston Legal, Supernatural, House, The Twilight Zone (how can you miss this one?) and The Big Bang Theory (possibly Grey's Anatomy) should have been added, at least somewhere at the bottom. I mean, you include Scrubs, which is a comedy simply set in a hospital with little to no drama or plot, and miss House, one of the best shows ever, with well-researched medicine, constantly witty dialogue and great character interaction. And DS9 and TNG should exchange places. TNG was a sci-fi sitcom with no season arc whatsoever (occasional Q and Borg appearances notwithstanding), while every DS9 episode, from important to filler, had consequences; the characters were human - they argued, disagreed and lied; the UFP finally showed it's oppressive side ("You're no different than the Borg")... And the Dominion War was epic.

But still, a nice article.

< Message edited by ITB -- 22/5/2009 4:07:59 PM >

(in reply to andriesk)
Post #: 569
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 1/7/2009 1:29:52 PM   
butters411

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Lots of newbies moaning like this list is the definitive list of TV shows ever - get over yourself.  Saying that this list means more then a critics vote as it's the publiv - the fans who have voted.  I agree with the list for the most part...

The Simpsons at it's best is hard to beat and so it deserves the number one spot
Buffy should be number two! It's better then 90% of TV shows out there.  Well 99% according to this list.  The people moaning about it have obviously never seen it! Angel is also great and not fluff as someone said (idiot) Scrubs is the best comedy on TV today (end of) and deserves it's place.

I would put Frasier, Veronica Mars, Quantum Leap and Firefly higher and I would have added Sliders and Smallville

"Forum elder" anyone who calls people "newbies" and tries to belittle their opinions because they have not spent as much time as you hanging on every post of an internet film forum is truly the nerdiest type of snob in the world. Get a life!

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI