Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 5:40:38 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

Actually L Boy doesnt speak the truth, I do! As it was me that said that, and yes philip I feel no shame in saying that and nor should I.

Make sure if you reply to this post to squeeze in any more 'comic book/fantasy' stereotypes you can think of, being as none of the ones you have already used fit me and I am feeling left out!

You know, I just checked back. Sorry Llanelli boy, it was this dude that posted it. My bad my Welsh hombre.

Ahem, as for you, my man, you have Martin Blank as your name, The Fett as your avatar, Shaolin Monk as your little sig, and you come out with Buffy beats The Sopranos...... Hmmm you aint cool man.
My suggestions: 1 Rename yourself Mr. Buffy 2 Change your avatar to C3po, and in place of Shaolin Monk put, Sissy Girl....
That should just about cover it......

Says the guy with the pirates avatar - a disney film ha ha ha

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 8/4/2008 5:42:33 PM >

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 481
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 5:44:22 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

You would Buffy boy... Say, who's winning that game of Dungeons and Dragons??? You still working in Krusty Burger? And how's your acne coming along??

Dungeons and dragons never played it.  Krusty Burger isn't real and I don't have acne do you?

Buffy rules get over it...move along there's nothing to see here

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 482
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 10:00:00 PM   
JamesMcManus1

You've used the words 'rules' 'dude' and 'lol'.....are you a frat boy by any chance!

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 483
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 10:50:40 PM   
mustbebunnies

wow, havent been back on this thread for a while, can't believe people are still so distressed about a website poll...

cant we all just agree to disagree, shake hands, and go back to watching tv..?

ps long live the worship of Buffy! :p

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 484
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 8:42:22 AM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: mustbebunnies

wow, havent been back on this thread for a while, can't believe people are still so distressed about a website poll...

cant we all just agree to disagree, shake hands, and go back to watching tv..?

ps long live the worship of Buffy! :p

Amen hombre, amen. Sick to my balls of talking about it at this point.... I'm over it.

< Message edited by philip_81 -- 9/4/2008 10:16:05 AM >

'The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants'

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 485
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 8:45:04 AM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

Actually L Boy doesnt speak the truth, I do! As it was me that said that, and yes philip I feel no shame in saying that and nor should I.

Make sure if you reply to this post to squeeze in any more 'comic book/fantasy' stereotypes you can think of, being as none of the ones you have already used fit me and I am feeling left out!

You know, I just checked back. Sorry Llanelli boy, it was this dude that posted it. My bad my Welsh hombre.

Ahem, as for you, my man, you have Martin Blank as your name, The Fett as your avatar, Shaolin Monk as your little sig, and you come out with Buffy beats The Sopranos...... Hmmm you aint cool man.
My suggestions: 1 Rename yourself Mr. Buffy 2 Change your avatar to C3po, and in place of Shaolin Monk put, Sissy Girl....
That should just about cover it......

Says the guy with the pirates avatar - a disney film ha ha ha

Hmmm... You make a good point Buffy Boy.. Anyways, if you look at my last post you'll see I've grown tired of this babbling squabbling shit. So debate Buffy all you want dude, I'm done.
Peace

'The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants'

John Christopher Depp II

Post #: 486
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 9:50:21 AM   
Phoenix22758

What the.......?!!!?  This has to be the most contentious top 50 of all time!  Where did these people come from?  Why is every incarnation of Trek (sorry..what about poor Voyager and Enterprise) so low??  Where the HELL is The Prisoner - flat out the best TV show of ALL time?

I could go on.

But I think I'll go tear up my AICN membership.

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 487
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 2:04:45 PM   
mcbadabing

Clearly what Empire should have done is group the votes in age ranges or something.  That way Simpsons, Sex and the City, Lost and Heroes etc would have been high on the list for the under 10's, chavs and those on the dole, whilst more quality filled tv like Oz, Carnivale, Weeds etc would have actually been on the list in the first feckin place.  Buffy was good, but only cos the ladies were sexy.  Even Glory, and she was a bitch.  Not a better show that a lot on that list though and I bet Joss Whedon would agree.  He is a massive BSG fan so he would probably swap the results!

Now end this. Silly people.  Lets talk about something else.  Weather's mad eh?!

(in reply to Phoenix22758)
Post #: 488
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 3:14:09 PM   
JamesMcManus1

Yeh lets end talking about the poll on...... wait for it....a thread dedicated to the poll in the first place!

If you don't want to contribute, nobody is forcing you...there are plenty of other threads on here to bitch about.

Further proof that you don't need thumbs to type!

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to mcbadabing)
Post #: 489
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 3:26:07 PM   
Peppermint

JamesMcManus1, will you please stop being so rude to people?

I've had to ask you before and it's getting really boring now, to be honest.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 490
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 3:43:57 PM   
philip_81

I love when you give out to people....

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 491
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 4:25:40 PM   
Cleric John Preston

quote:

ORIGINAL: mcbadabing

Clearly what Empire should have done is group the votes in age ranges or something.  That way Simpsons, Sex and the City, Lost and Heroes etc would have been high on the list for the under 10's, chavs and those on the dole,

Not sure what it says about you if you'd let a child under 10 watch Sex and the City....

Hmmmmm...why insult people who voted for those shows on the forum where the majority of the voters post? And is it so hard to believe that something like Oz just isn't for some people? As good a show as it is, it's a bit of a hard watch.

(in reply to mcbadabing)
Post #: 492
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 4:48:08 PM   
dlc6285

I think the list was inappropriate. Alot of fantastic shows should have been listed and were excluded. I am a sci-fi buff so having Farscape listed as 45 was an insult. It should have been in the top 20 with Buffy, Angel and Firefly! At least those were correct!

< Message edited by dlc6285 -- 9/4/2008 4:49:24 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 493
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 9/4/2008 10:42:10 PM   
dok

Wheres Different Strokes Man

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 494
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 10:42:52 AM   
holsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cleric John Preston

quote:

ORIGINAL: mcbadabing

Clearly what Empire should have done is group the votes in age ranges or something.  That way Simpsons, Sex and the City, Lost and Heroes etc would have been high on the list for the under 10's, chavs and those on the dole,

Not sure what it says about you if you'd let a child under 10 watch Sex and the City....

Hmmmmm...why insult people who voted for those shows on the forum where the majority of the voters post? And is it so hard to believe that something like Oz just isn't for some people? As good a show as it is, it's a bit of a hard watch.

Or even a kid under 10 watching Lost, maybe Heroes however. Really why do people still insist on insulting others for having a different favourite show. Speaking for myself when i come home from a hard days work and sit down in front of the telly, i just want to watch something that is enjoyable and entertaining. Which is why i pick Lost and 24. I do not however want to sit down to the gritty, violent drama of the Godfather compressed into an hour which is The Sopranos. That is for another time. Now dont get me wrong im sure the Sopronos is a brilliant show and all, its just not the sort of thing i like to watch on TV. Im sure other people feel the same only with different favourites.

< Message edited by holsy -- 10/4/2008 10:49:19 AM >

(in reply to Cleric John Preston)
Post #: 495
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 10:53:53 AM   
elab49

I think most of the problem was down to the headline - 50 Greatest Shows. That leads to arguments.

Favourites shows - as the sub-headline in the poll actually called for - different kettle of fish entirely. You can't tell anyone what their favourite show is.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to holsy)
Post #: 496
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 2:34:44 PM   
bendoofus

This Life didn't even make the list! OR the Mighty Boosh. And yet Scrubs, Friends and frickin' LOST can rate so highly. How safe, boring and predictable.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP BAR!

Post #: 497
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 3:32:24 PM   
JamesMcManus1

Think my continual amazement at certain shows undeserved high place on this list does come down to it being titled GREATEST tv shows of all time.

If it was most popular tv shows of all time...there's no disputing the polling results for that, as the most votes would win it.

Agreed lets move on from Buffy.....bit on the dull side now!

< Message edited by JamesMcManus1 -- 10/4/2008 3:35:42 PM >

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to bendoofus)
Post #: 498
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 7:39:34 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: dok

Wheres Different Strokes Man

' Well, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some.'

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to dok)
Post #: 499
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 9:40:48 PM   
AlanDiment

Ok, now I know I am too old to read Empire. Fifty best shows of all time? You mean the best US shows of the last ten years or so perhaps. Where's Dennis Potter, Edge of Darkness, I Claudius etc?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 500
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 9:43:26 PM   
elab49

I voted for Edge of Darkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to AlanDiment)
Post #: 501
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 10/4/2008 11:36:45 PM   
LastCelt1989

Copy and paste reply form: (originally by Angelus)

''I can't believe anyone voted for ________ let alone that it placed above ________. The fans must be a bunch of _______ _______ who have no ________ whereas I am clearly _______ and ________ superior for liking ________. And what about _______, how the ________ did that get in there? You're all a bunch of ________!''

Copy and paste reply form: (originally by Angelus)

I can't believe anyone voted for south park let alone that it placed above star trek. The fans must be a bunch of intelligent people who have no insecruity whereas I am clearly perfect and infinatley superior for liking comedy. And what about my cat in the neghbours attic, how the fudge did that get in there? You're all a bunch of well rounded gentleman/ladies!

< Message edited by LastCelt1989 -- 10/4/2008 11:38:03 PM >

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 502
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 11/4/2008 10:42:27 AM   
charly150

Hi! Im'n new here. I just finished to see the classific of 50 best show of all the time and I'm wondering why there isn't Gilmore Girls!!! I can't believe that! in my opinion it would have been at first place but thefact that you consider recent show like Prison Break, Heroes, Veronica Mars and you don't consider at all Gilmore Girls make me really really sad! I find really unfair that you put in the classific three version of star trek, 2 Matt groening works and forget Gilmore Girls! 

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 503
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 11/4/2008 10:57:02 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: charly150

Hi! Im'n new here. I just finished to see the classific of 50 best show of all the time and I'm wondering why there isn't Gilmore Girls!!! I can't believe that! in my opinion it would have been at first place but thefact that you consider recent show like Prison Break, Heroes, Veronica Mars and you don't consider at all Gilmore Girls make me really really sad! I find really unfair that you put in the classific three version of star trek, 2 Matt groening works and forget Gilmore Girls! 

Apart from the fact many may consider it twee and often annoying - have you considered the more likely fact that most voters have never heard of it as it has never appeared on a terrestrial or freeview channel over here?

quote:

(in reply to charly150)
Post #: 504
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 11/4/2008 1:33:20 PM   
Lord Midas

You've got to love the way so many people have to swear on this forum. What's wrong with you people? Not enough intellect to get you're opinions across without effin and jeffin?

Still, the list order is debatable but the exclusion of Stargate SG1 is a travesty. Oh, and the reason Knight Rider isn't in the list is because it was the same story every episode. "daddy/daughter gets kidnapped. Michael has to drive rather quickly to get to the kidnappers before something dastardly happens".
Sheesh!

Post #: 505
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 11/4/2008 2:52:10 PM   
rash bamsboy

Aww dudes! Where is Teachers? Brian And Kurt R.I.P, deserve better!! I dont think any of my top five made it unfortunately.
Hey Empire is there anyway you could put the rest of the list online in vote order? top 100 or 150? I reckon it could make interesting reading to see who just missed out, and to see where my picks came.

MOST RECENT FILMS
2012* 7/10
KICK ASS* 9/10
THE CRAZIES* 8/10
ZOMBIELAND* 7/10
THE UGLY TRUTH* 4/10
TRICK R TREAT* 7/10

* 1ST TIME SEEN

"We hit nothiiiinnngg!"

"what funny dog poo?"

(in reply to Lord Midas)
Post #: 506
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/4/2008 12:42:05 AM   
piper_h

I can't believe that Charmed isn't on the list....

(in reply to rash bamsboy)
Post #: 507
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/4/2008 7:37:05 PM   
middleburn

My two cents:

The Simpsons has been exceptional in the past, if you take series 4-8 then that truly is the greatest TV of all time. However, its inconsistency means that it can't fill the top spot.

The greatest TV show of all time has been on for eleven years now and has never once faltered in producing the best entertainment you can get on the small screen. It features a large cast of characters, but unlike Futurama or Family Guy or even The Simpsons there is not one weak link. It produces on point, breathtaking satire at a constant rate, effortlessly creating a unique spin on the insanity that is modern pop-culture, media, paranoia and politics, and unlike a show that criminally finished five spaces above it on the poll, it feels no need to shoehorn in these observations alongside jokes about giant chickens. It is, of course, South Park.

Also, screw the SFX, TOS is far superior to TNG. So there.

Well...that was fun

Post #: 508
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 12/4/2008 10:27:05 PM   
skatebkp

Was wondering did anyone put any anime in their top five list??

(in reply to middleburn)
Post #: 509
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 13/4/2008 4:50:16 PM   
beefa1979

Found quite a few omissions from this list, it appears it was definately done mostly as a post 1990 list
Why was a fantastic show like Quantum Leap only at 50? and an equally great show like the Pretender misses out entirely? yet dribble like Lost (hey it's all a dream in the fat guy's head) and boofhead the vampire slayer get so high on the list. It was fantastic to see Red Dwarf  and Futurama make the list.
Star trek voyager and enterprise could have made it and where were the classic shows like the flintstones, MASH etc. maybe there should be a greatest classic tv shows list for everything pre 1990 that missed out and a classic sci-fi list as well

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI