Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 6:32:28 PM   
The Stooge

Where's M*A*S*H, Cheers, Allo' Allo'? Eh?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 451
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 9:42:34 PM   
sali4077

where the hell is MASH come on it may be old but it totally deserves to be in the top 50  sheesh

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 452
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 10:17:27 PM   
BobaJango

Sorry if this has already been discussed but since when is...

I) Family Guy even half as good as South Park?
II) Serenity a tv show (see Family Guy page)?
III) Jose Cheung's from outer space, the best ep of The X-Files? There are so many better ones to choose from it's insulting.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to sali4077)
Post #: 453
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 10:52:50 PM   
sserplla

i'm still appalled by Buffy, being considered a better TV show than The Sopranos!

my full sense of shock is conveyed in the 'Small Screen' thread on this poll...

tell me what's on your, so-called, mind....

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 454
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 6/4/2008 2:54:44 PM   
DellyD

Good Golly molly- This list is kind of backwards. Most of the shows in the end(the 40's) should be at the top of the list. Shows like 24 and the Sopranos should be in the top ten but, come on, The Simpsons? That has to be a joke, right? I can't believe what people voted for that to be number one, but , I guess that every one has their own opinion. Cracker was one of the best shows in the history of the world and it's in the last ten? Hmmmm boo boo there. Well before I go any further, I will just say that their are some of these shows that are in the wrong spots. Have a great day and peace out!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 455
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 6/4/2008 7:10:07 PM   
holsy

There really is far too many people on here who are wildly throwing insults at people who have a difference in opinion to them. It just ridiculous, seriously just grow up. Every one has there favourite show and this poll is not going to change that. Its a popularity vote, so it shows what shows have the largest number of followers. My personel favs are Lost and 24. I know alot of other people out there love these shows but i by no means expect everyone to love them and im certainly not going to start insulting someone for thinking another show is better. Its just personal differences which should be DEBATED rather than ARGUED and everyone crying foul

(in reply to DellyD)
Post #: 456
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 6/4/2008 9:04:18 PM   
ElliotFalconer

I think Friends should have got in the top 3, but seven is still good ... would have liked to see Skins in there, love that, although its online been going for about 2 years. But overall, good job!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 457
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 6/4/2008 10:41:05 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: DellyD

Good Golly molly- This list is kind of backwards. Most of the shows in the end(the 40's) should be at the top of the list. Shows like 24 and the Sopranos should be in the top ten but, come on, The Simpsons? That has to be a joke, right? I can't believe what people voted for that to be number one, but , I guess that every one has their own opinion. Cracker was one of the best shows in the history of the world and it's in the last ten? Hmmmm boo boo there. Well before I go any further, I will just say that their are some of these shows that are in the wrong spots. Have a great day and peace out!

What?

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to DellyD)
Post #: 458
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 2:03:12 AM   
llanelliboy

It's not opinion, it's fact.

People might enjoy Buffy more than The Sopranos but when it comes down to it, The Sopranos is a better written, directed and acted programme by any and all standards.

I enjoy Buffy but liking something and it being good are very different things.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 459
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 11:13:05 AM   
holsy

Hence my point, its a POPULARITY vote. I already mentioned on the thread a while back that i think the list should be titled most popular rather than greatest.

(in reply to llanelliboy)
Post #: 460
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 2:50:00 PM   
adamei

quote:

ORIGINAL: llanelliboy

People might enjoy Buffy more than The Sopranos but when it comes down to it, The Sopranos is a better written, directed and acted programme by any and all standards.

This I don't get. I understand that people watch things they don't think are good, but to like things that aren't good? I really don't get it. How do you define like and good? is there some platonic idea of the best show that's not affected by opinions?

Personally, I don't like crap. The show I like the best is the best show, in my opinion (and this is a list based on opinions). It's very simple, really. I realise there are other that shows other people think are the best, that are more critically acclaimed than the shows I like the best, and that's fine but it has nothing to do with me or the shows I like.

http://xkcd.com/386/

Post #: 461
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 3:05:29 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Oh & surely that show were the bloke that shot the president got shot must be worthy of a top ten place!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to adamei)
Post #: 462
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 5:21:09 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

I like Buffy because its not only good, its great and twice the TV show that the Sopranos is, in all departments. Do I even have to say the magic words, 'in my opinion'?

Knew it wasnt going to make the top 50 but nice to see some love for Homicide: Life on the streets among you.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

Post #: 463
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 7:32:08 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

Buffy has vampires in it, and so wins.

While it was certainly silly, you are allowed to think Buffy was good, you know. It was intelligently written and well made and knew it's target audience inside out. If you compare it to similar genre stuff like Torchwood or Charmed it's miles ahead.

< Message edited by Mikey C -- 7/4/2008 7:33:00 PM >

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

Post #: 464
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 7:44:57 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

quote:

While it was certainly silly, you are allowed to think Buffy was good, you know. It was intelligently written and well made and knew it's target audience inside out. If you compare it to similar genre stuff like Torchwood or Charmed it's miles ahead.

Top bloke - spot on

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 465
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 7/4/2008 11:37:01 PM   
llanelliboy

I'm not saying it wasn't good but one has to be objective. Let's take Buffy out of the equation as there are some fans who have had blinkers surgically attached to their face (I really liked Buffy, btw; Angel, not so much)

I absolutely loved Footballers Wives and thought it was very clever but it wasn't good.  Step back and look at the quality of acting, writing, direction, photography and objectively appraise them.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 466
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 12:03:47 AM   
theoriginalcynic

lol Footballers wifes and clever in the same sentence

Post #: 467
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 12:12:15 AM   
ilovebeerme

I love lamp.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

Post #: 468
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 1:01:35 AM   
llanelliboy

I would defend Footballer's Wives to the end and, to a certain degree, Bad Girls.

Shed productions knew their audience and knew exactly the right tone. Both shows were a little subversive for their time and were produced in that particularly British way of being entirely overblown whilst being very subtle.

Post #: 469
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 5:04:44 AM   
adamei

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

quote:

Word, man. Wordy McWord.

The idea that lists based on open polls could ever be objective is inane. Especially when you're voting on something as ambiguous as "the greatest". To be objective you'd need at least some preset guidelines or criteria for the greatness. And still people would probably interpret things differently.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 470
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 5:08:02 AM   
llanelliboy

Why couldn't they be objective?  You're really doing the 'voting public' a disservice by suggesting they can't do that.

(in reply to adamei)
Post #: 471
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 7:36:03 AM   
adamei

quote:

Why couldn't they be objective?  You're really doing the 'voting public' a disservice by suggesting they can't do that.

No, Iím not. All Iím saying is that the meaning of Ēthe greatest TV shows of all timeĒ is highly subjective if you donít give it clear definitions beforehand.

Actually, this whole line of discussion is pretty dumb. If there could actually be some objective list of greatest TV-shows, then what the hell is the point of voting about it? Subjectivity is an innate property of open voting. This is of course a major failing in democracy, people with wrong opinions get to vote.

Post #: 472
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 8:42:56 AM   
philip_81

LLANELLI BOY:

I like Buffy because its not only good, its great and twice the TV show that the Sopranos is, in all departments. Do I even have to say the magic words, 'in my opinion'? END QUOTE.....

You need help man. lots and lots of high paid help.... Buffy is twice as good as The Sopranos??????
Why I should love to hear you say that in a public place (other than your local comic book store or dungeon and dragons club or whatever cave you hang out in)

< Message edited by philip_81 -- 8/4/2008 8:45:21 AM >

'The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants'

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 473
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 10:02:30 AM   
chaz2k

two unforgiveable omissions. What about Dark Angel (the show the gave us Jessica Alba - OK the second series was a guff but still) and Trailer Park Boys? Eh???? Eh???? Far better entertainment than the "must-see" shows like Lost, which is just a big budget version of I'm A Celebrity....

Broke into the wrong goddman rec-room didn't you, you bastard!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 474
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 10:24:07 AM   
chaz2k

and to clarify, yes I know it's a vote by the people. I'm just disappointed.

Broke into the wrong goddman rec-room didn't you, you bastard!

(in reply to chaz2k)
Post #: 475
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 10:32:17 AM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: philip_81

LLANELLI BOY:

I like Buffy because its not only good, its great and twice the TV show that the Sopranos is, in all departments. Do I even have to say the magic words, 'in my opinion'? END QUOTE.....

You need help man. lots and lots of high paid help.... Buffy is twice as good as The Sopranos??????
Why I should love to hear you say that in a public place (other than your local comic book store or dungeon and dragons club or whatever cave you hang out in)

I agree with L Boy - he speaks the truth

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 476
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 11:35:23 AM   
philip_81

You would Buffy boy... Say, who's winning that game of Dungeons and Dragons??? You still working in Krusty Burger? And how's your acne coming along??

'The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants'

John Christopher Depp II

Post #: 477
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 1:50:51 PM   
MartinBlank76

Actually L Boy doesnt speak the truth, I do! As it was me that said that, and yes philip I feel no shame in saying that and nor should I.

Make sure if you reply to this post to squeeze in any more 'comic book/fantasy' stereotypes you can think of, being as none of the ones you have already used fit me and I am feeling left out!

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 478
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 2:53:03 PM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

Actually L Boy doesnt speak the truth, I do! As it was me that said that, and yes philip I feel no shame in saying that and nor should I.

Make sure if you reply to this post to squeeze in any more 'comic book/fantasy' stereotypes you can think of, being as none of the ones you have already used fit me and I am feeling left out!

You know, I just checked back. Sorry Llanelli boy, it was this dude that posted it. My bad my Welsh hombre.

Ahem, as for you, my man, you have Martin Blank as your name, The Fett as your avatar, Shaolin Monk as your little sig, and you come out with Buffy beats The Sopranos...... Hmmm you aint cool man.
My suggestions: 1 Rename yourself Mr. Buffy 2 Change your avatar to C3po, and in place of Shaolin Monk put, Sissy Girl....
That should just about cover it......

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 479
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 8/4/2008 4:45:12 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

You know, I just checked back. Sorry Llanelli boy, it was this dude that posted it. My bad my Welsh hombre.

Ahem, as for you, my man, you have Martin Blank as your name, The Fett as your avatar, Shaolin Monk as your little sig, and you come out with Buffy beats The Sopranos...... Hmmm you aint cool man.
My suggestions: 1 Rename yourself Mr. Buffy 2 Change your avatar to C3po, and in place of Shaolin Monk put, Sissy Girl....
That should just about cover it......

Wow. Are you sure you are even old enough to be watching the sopranos? That '18' certificate is there for a reason you know...

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI