Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

[Deleted]

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> [Deleted] Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Deleted] - 3/4/2008 8:08:31 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to dakcarm)
  Post #: 421
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 3/4/2008 8:40:47 PM   
samthemanc

Where the hell's Song's of Praise?

and where are all these newbies comin from - i know i'm hardly a long serving member but this article has stirred up some healthy debate

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. - Winston Churchill

Dying's a day worth living for - Captain Barbossa

(in reply to dakcarm)
Post #: 422
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 3/4/2008 11:17:39 PM   
paddyobrien85

Is it just me or does anybody not think OZ should have made the list, I mean come on, its like one of the best shows ever!!!!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 423
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 3/4/2008 11:44:14 PM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: philip_81

quote:

There seem to be a lot of newbies registering just to complain about this list. As far as I'm concerned it is as good as these public vote lists will ever be. People do, after all, have different opinions and tastes to you. If you don't agree with it then just make your own list. It was fairly predictably a product of the voting audience obviously being movie/internet forum geeks and therefore was perhaps more sci-fi/fantasy heavy than a broader public vote would be, but that did at least result in some shows that the general public might be less aware of doing very well. I, for one, was pleased to see mostly recent programmes up there, I genuinely believe that the best TV is better today than it was twenty or thirty years ago. Even looking back on shows widely agreed to be classics (e.g. Fawlty Towers), the style of humour seems a bit dated really compared with something like The Office which fits much more with modern sensibilities (I imagine in another twenty or thirty years, this may start to feel a little dated), while it can only be a good thing that the cheesy, repetitive likes of Knight Rider and the A-Team, much as they might appeal to a nostalgic or ironic crowd, missed out.
I think that it's interesting that a lot of the debate on here has boiled down to Buffy vs The Wire. Can't somebody like both? Also, surely given both shows managed to do surprisingly well on the list, why are their hardcore fans complaining just because other stuff also did well? I didn't vote for either but they're both good in their own ways. I think that The Wire's fans wouldn't be that happy if it did cross over into a huge, wider audience, as they like feeling that it's their thing and they can feel superior to everyone who doesn't watch it (and it's not like it gets too few viewers for the show to continue). As for Buffy, I always enjoyed watching it (and I'm not a kid or a teenager, and I'm certainly no sci-fi/fantasy geek), but its monster of the week format made for some pretty dodgy episodes alongside the proper quality ones. Like most of Whedon's work, the real strength was always in creating an ensemble of likeable, well rounded characters, rather than giving them the best plots to play a part in. Having said that, the quality of the first three seasons is mostly excellent and the next few consistently good, although the last season was a big mis-step with all the potentials, but then many of the shows on here have tailed off at the end. Angel tailed off in quality about half way through its run and yet that seems to be able to make this list. Why aren't the Buffy haters more concerned with the presence of this clearly lesser show?

This newbie says kiss my ass....

What part of that lengthy ramblings I put up there are you taking issue with specifically?

Is it just being offended that I might have made a slur against new people? Because, clearly, what I'm actually taking issue with is "newbies registering just to complain about this list". It's not an objection to new people signing up for this forum (heaven forbid! ), but to people who just sign up, waste space and time with some uninsightful complaint to the effect of "This list sucks, [insert show here] should be number one" (or "kiss my ass", come to think of it), and then disappear into the night like a particularly pissy ninja. Anyone, new or old, who actually has some greater comment to make or wants actually to discuss their opinions is cool.

'Particularly pissy ninja'.. I like that.. From a guy who seems inspired by the little Mermaid I am not gonna tremble in my boots much.. But that was funny.
I was a little pissed that night and your first line was enough to set me off Ariel, but I am better now. How's Sebastian and Flounder??? You still getting shit off your Dad?

'The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants'

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 424
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 1:00:44 AM   
Cleric John Preston

quote:

quote:

There seem to be a lot of newbies registering just to complain about this list.

'Particularly pissy ninja'.. I like that.. From a guy who seems inspired by the little Mermaid I am not gonna tremble in my boots much.. But that was funny.
I was a little pissed that night and your first line was enough to set me off Ariel, but I am better now. How's Sebastian and Flounder??? You still getting shit off your Dad?

The man was not insulting you personally. I'm a newbie and I took his post for what it was, a dig a people who register, complain then never post again. You are obviously not one of those, so his post wasn't aimed at you my friend, you are insulting Monkeyfish for nothing.

< Message edited by Cleric John Preston -- 4/4/2008 1:33:49 AM >

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 425
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 1:14:35 AM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cleric John Preston

quote:

quote:

There seem to be a lot of newbies registering just to complain about this list.

The man was insulting you personally. I'm a newbie and I took his post for what it was, a dig a people who register, complain then never post again. You are obviously not one of those, so his post wasn't aimed at you my friend, you are insulting Monkeyfish for nothing.

What are you his big brother?? If the man has a pair, I'm sure he realises, that I'm just yanking his chain.. Get a sense of humour amigo..

'The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants'

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to Cleric John Preston)
Post #: 426
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 1:30:45 AM   
Cleric John Preston

Just like you probably should have done the other night when you were 'a little pissed'? 

(in reply to philip_81)
Post #: 427
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 1:39:35 AM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cleric John Preston

Just like you probably should have done the other night when you were 'a little pissed'? 

Touche....

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to Cleric John Preston)
Post #: 428
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 3:15:09 AM   
eric1462002

I think it's a pretty good list, though it really seems to be awfully back-loaded, and heavy on the sci-fi. Don't get me wrong--I love sci-fi. But what about M*A*S*H, or I Love Lucy, or All in the Family, or Cheers, or Moonlighting? Some of these seem to me to be held in higher regard than, say, Family Guy or Quantum Leap.

Except for Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and Star Trek, it appears that no one owned a TV prior to the mid-1980s.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 429
Buffy better than Tony S? You Mooks! - 4/4/2008 5:56:40 AM   
llanelliboy

Fair enough, I expected you to put The Simpsons at the top. I'm sure you were disappointed you couldn't get Star Wars or Lord of the Rings into this list.

But Buffy better than the Sopranos? What the Fucking Fuck? I know this was voted for by readers but I'd credited them with more taste than this. I was wrong, obnov.

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 430
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 9:34:40 AM   
SteveBforBored

Buffy higher than Deadwood, The Shield, The Wire AND The Sopranos????? AND Lost in the top 5????

You. Are. Having. A Laugh.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 431
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 12:19:36 PM   
theoriginalcynic

No you just can't handle the truth.  You can't handle the truth! ha ha

(in reply to SteveBforBored)
Post #: 432
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 1:53:19 PM   
mcbadabing

I agree about Oz not being in there.  That show set the standard for HBO and The Sopranos, Deadwood etc followed. 
Also, The Simpsons should have been barred as it's a cartoon.  We all love it and cannot imagine what it would be like without it anymore but you can't really put it on a list like this.
No one will ever really agree with the full list. I bloomin don't! Where was Auf Weidhersen Pet, Alan Partridge, The Unit, Boston Legal and Carnivale, Brotherhood and Weeds?  My list would have them in straight away.  Overall though you've hit the nail pretty much on the head. Except for Buffy being better than The Wire or The Sopranos.  Hell no!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 433
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 2:25:37 PM   
starbrightgirl

Personally I think the list is pretty spot on, although it definitely sheds some light on current Empire readership - with very few older classics (such as M*A*S*H) not being represented. Also very distinctly British in most choices (which again is fine) - I for one am thrilled to see Spaced in at No.10! And Angel in at 21, and Buffy at no.2 are fantastic - truly excellent shows both (and if you think they're "fluff" - maybe you're not getting the jokes and subtext - your loss, really...)
Anyhow - great overall - Thanks - this cheered up my afternoon :)

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 434
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 3:42:12 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. FAR too many US shows & formulaic sci-fi stuff for my liking. & it is slanted unfavourably towards modern shows tv is more than 20 years old you know - for example if Dr Who is included you can't just ignore its original run! Where is The Prisoner? The single most original thought provoking piece of television drama ever! & Our Friends In The North should be high on the list, mixing the personal & the political in a drama that demonstrates the advantage television can have over film. & finally why no factual programmes? 7 Up for example is one of the most important television shows ever!! No Best of telly list can/should ignore it!
!
As this is voted for by readers I suppose it reflects what they watch, which is a shame in my book as its all rather limited to high concept genre telly that is, bar a few exceptions, little more than small screen versions of hollywood cinema.

The list may reflect the most popular shows, but in no way can it be called the greatest 50!!

Have to agree Monkeyshaver, Our Friends in the North was a notable omission from the list. It's not even that old for crying out loud!

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 435
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 4:22:18 PM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveBforBored

Buffy higher than Deadwood, The Shield, The Wire AND The Sopranos????? AND Lost in the top 5????

You. Are. Having. A Laugh.

No my friend, I am afraid to say they are not having a laugh. Wish they were but Buffy really did come in at number 2....  If you need further councilling or just someone who will scream and shout with you, just let me know... I feel your pain hombre...

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to SteveBforBored)
Post #: 436
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 5:01:50 PM   
TonySoprano

It's difficult to be churlish about a list based on the tastes of the constituent audience, but fuck it, I will be anyway!  The lack of programs pre-mid 90s obviously reflects the age demographic of the site, but it doesn't make it any less bollocks.   Boys from the Blackstuff, Our Friends in the North, Auf Wiedershen Pet, I, Claudius, Das Boot.  All classics and nowhere to be seen. 

Fecking Buffy indeed.

I swear to god, plays.

Post #: 437
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 5:23:26 PM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonySoprano

It's difficult to be churlish about a list based on the tastes of the constituent audience, but fuck it, I will be anyway!  The lack of programs pre-mid 90s obviously reflects the age demographic of the site, but it doesn't make it any less bollocks.   Boys from the Blackstuff, Our Friends in the North, Auf Wiedershen Pet, I, Claudius, Das Boot.  All classics and nowhere to be seen. 

Fecking Buffy indeed.

Big T!! An honour to share thoughts with you. On a personal note, I think it was a fucking shame what you did to Christopher, I loved that guy. Not that I am one to question your judgement. Any chance of a series 7??

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to TonySoprano)
Post #: 438
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 5:32:10 PM   
BethN21286

I have one thing to say:

Where was Stargate???

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 439
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 5:58:15 PM   
philip_81

quote:

ORIGINAL: BethN21286

I have one thing to say:

Where was Stargate???

Some Universe far away if I remember right. Good Film, crap programme....

< Message edited by philip_81 -- 4/4/2008 6:00:47 PM >

John Christopher Depp II

(in reply to BethN21286)
Post #: 440
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 5:59:39 PM   
Monster 008

No Stargate SG-1 or Eureka?????????  You'll burn in hell for such things!!  

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 441
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 7:13:27 PM   
demoncleaner

I'd just like to add my own heavy breathing to the praise of The Wire.  It must be the best thing put on a screen - large or small (and that's including the special of Are You Being Served when they all went on holiday to Spain).  There will always be great shows primpted and preened with high production value but it's difficult to see how anything could acquit itself next to David Simon and Ed Burn's urban hive-mind.  I mean, the vastly entertaining show may always come off looking superficial in comparison, the impeccably team-written script may appear smug, the earnest drama a bit too ponderous - a bit trite.  I can't pretend to know what makes The Wire "good", but for me what makes it rewarding is that despite its consistent ambition it has never exhibited one iota of pretention.

Just think, I would never have gotten into the drug trade without it.  

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 442
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 7:41:02 PM   
general_potatoface

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I'd just like to add my own heavy breathing to the praise of The Wire.  It must be the best thing put on a screen - large or small (and that's including the special of Are You Being Served when they all went on holiday to Spain).  There will always be great shows primpted and preened with high production value but it's difficult to see how anything could acquit itself next to David Simon and Ed Burn's urban hive-mind.  I mean, the vastly entertaining show may always come off looking superficial in comparison, the impeccably team-written script may appear smug, the earnest drama a bit too ponderous - a bit trite.  I can't pretend to know what makes The Wire "good", but for me what makes it rewarding is that despite its consistent ambition it has never exhibited one iota of pretention.

Just think, I would never have gotten into the drug trade without it.  

I applaud you mein Freund, and I may have to attempt to catch The Wire sometime.

Also, if all the Carnivale-ers would join me in an exhortation:

WATCH CARNIVALE!

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 443
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 4/4/2008 11:36:59 PM   
Mulholland Empire

I see some people have already mentioned the absence of Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue but what about Homicide: Life on the Street? One of the best directed, written, acted and shot shows ever made. I shake my head in despair at that not being in there.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 444
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 7:38:17 AM   
jamriola

Where was My Name is Earl???  A Travesty.

Post #: 445
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 10:20:58 AM   
Mute

quote:

ORIGINAL: trhxnhp

Like that friends got so high
but, Where is Spooks?
And House?

I agree totally with the bolded part. House is brilliant and deserved to be on the list, and Spooks isn't as good as it used to be but still (just) deserves a place on the list.

PSN: blackout505

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 446
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 1:05:33 PM   
JamesMcManus1

What is with all the choices being typed out in bold...just a fine example that you don't need thumbs to type!

Are you afraid we won't listen to you like the annoying little kid in the corner.....just type it normally.

I think Stargate sg-1 had its peaks and troughs but is ultimately a very sound show, would't have had any complaints if that had made it into the 50....a guilty pleasure

Would not of been surprised to have seen House...not because it's better than anthing in the top 50, but because its around now, and i thought it was really popular. Think Hugh Laurie's grunting god awful american accent put paid to its top 50 hope though.

My Name is Earl is the same...good programme, but its unlikely to be in many people's top 5 comedies right now,let alone top 50 shows ever.......and with very little comedy on the list except the obvious classics it doesn't stand a chance, and rightly so.

NYPD Blue should be on the list...if this poll was conducted in the US it would have made it in there easy....the english bias is very clear as someone said previously with Spaced in the top 10...i love it but even i can recognise its limitations.

And to the person who said Eureka...behave please!

< Message edited by JamesMcManus1 -- 5/4/2008 1:07:37 PM >

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to Mute)
Post #: 447
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 3:06:10 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: JamesMcManus1

What is with all the choices being typed out in bold...just a fine example that you don't need thumbs to type!

Are you afraid we won't listen to you like the annoying little kid in the corner.....just type it normally.

I think Stargate sg-1 had its peaks and troughs but is ultimately a very sound show, would't have had any complaints if that had made it into the 50....a guilty pleasure

Would not of been surprised to have seen House...not because it's better than anthing in the top 50, but because its around now, and i thought it was really popular. Think Hugh Laurie's grunting god awful american accent put paid to its top 50 hope though.

My Name is Earl is the same...good programme, but its unlikely to be in many people's top 5 comedies right now,let alone top 50 shows ever.......and with very little comedy on the list except the obvious classics it doesn't stand a chance, and rightly so.

NYPD Blue should be on the list...if this poll was conducted in the US it would have made it in there easy....the english bias is very clear as someone said previously with Spaced in the top 10...i love it but even i can recognise its limitations.

And to the person who said Eureka...behave please!

Could you please stop being so dismissive of other people's opinions?

Thankyou.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to JamesMcManus1)
Post #: 448
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 4:07:13 PM   
neurotically_yours

Where the bloody fuck is Oz?! It is easily one of the greatest shows ever created and instead Sex and the Bloody City gets put on the list? Where is the common sense people! I'm a girl and even I hate the utter pretentious shite that comes out of Carrie's mouth/laptop.
Also where is the likes of Entourage and possibly even Grey's Anatomy?! Yes it's pure piffle but at least it's entertaining! There are so many shows better written than some of the ones on this list, I mean Pride and freaking Prejudice(1995) was left off the list, where is the justice in that? Also no Law and Order AT ALL? Not even one of the spin offs, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit? It may be depressing but it's definitely gripping.
Although I am one of the few to think that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was and still is great TV and deserves it's place, also good job on Lost being in top5 thought Heroes might be higher up though. Also yay for Doctor Who! Fecking brilliant show.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 449
RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time - 5/4/2008 5:32:39 PM   
Man with Rock

It's sad to see that Carnivale isn't even mentioned, or did I miss something?

< Message edited by Man with Rock -- 5/4/2008 6:04:12 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> [Deleted] Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI