Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: True Romance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: True Romance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: True Romance - 26/3/2008 9:30:11 AM   
Freak Storm

Ironically enough, True Romance is on TV next week! Channel 5, one weeknight - can't remember which, but check your listings mag & enjoy!

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 31
RE: True Romance - 26/3/2008 10:09:45 AM   
shool

Its a great film and one of my favourites too. Top notch script and I have a big fondness for Tony Scott films. This being his best IMO.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Freak Storm)
Post #: 32
RE: True Romance - 27/3/2008 4:45:39 PM   
Sledge Hammer

my favourite scenes involve Chris Penn and Tom Sizemore.

The scene where they are interviewing Bronson Pinchot....."you won't want to f' your lady when you get out, cos that p*ssy just wont be thight enough any more...you faggot"!

Also the following scene where they talk to the police chief......"you can bring in 10 Roman gladiators and the ghost of Steve McQueen...we just want the collar"

A lot of the scenes are often forgotten due to the brilliance of the Hopper/ Walaken masterclass. The QT commentary on this scene is classic too...listen of you get a chance.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 33
RE: True Romance - 28/3/2008 4:34:20 PM   
maffew

so good i got a tattoo of it! clarence and alabama go to cancun... :)

< Message edited by maffew -- 28/3/2008 4:35:16 PM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 34
RE: True Romance - 31/3/2008 5:48:59 AM   
Lydia_H

I watched this again earlier  I still think overall it has a lot of weaknesses but I'd forgotten how funny that Elliot character is 

"Who the fuck is Dick?"
"... you ... you want me suck his dick?"

I haven't laughed so much in ages

I love Drexl Spivey as well, what a brilliant character

< Message edited by Lydia_H -- 31/3/2008 5:49:14 AM >

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 35
RE: True Romance - 1/4/2008 12:46:18 PM   
filmburner30

Its a great movie especially Hopper and Walken.

Not forgetting James Gandolfini as the hit man who is killed by Alabama

And of course Lee Donowitz "Dont give me the finger ,I'll have you killed" allegedly based on Joel Silver.

Tony Scott does a far better job Than Oliver Stone ever did directing QT's script 

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 36
RE: True Romance - 1/4/2008 12:52:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

Even Tony Scotts harsh's critics for which I would include myself would have to admit it's one of the great Pop Culture Films of the 90's.  The two leads are perfect and the supporting cast add a nice bit of meat.  Lovely to look at too.  It's on tomorrow and I shown be watching it.

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 37
RE: True Romance - 1/4/2008 1:04:16 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

I thought True Romance was an average movie with brilliant characters and scenes. For me the flick does not flow particularly well. On a positive note, the Dennis Hopper scene, Brad Pitt scen and final shootout are great. I think Tony Scott might be to blame?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 38
RE: True Romance - 4/5/2008 3:49:24 PM   
Mason Verger

True Romance, 15 Years Later from Maxim.com (Suggested by rido777)

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to ukacidman)
Post #: 39
RE: True Romance - 17/7/2008 2:33:06 AM   
Rennie

one of the great examples of a director seeing what a great script he has on his hands and not trying to arse about with it, just let the actors do their job and point a camera at them. probably one of the hardest ways to make a film, just to step back and let the script and actors do their stuff so for that tony scott has to be commended. a lot of stand out moments, the walken/hopper scene is one that is just timeless and for me personally this is the best tarantino script, although i wouldve preferred it if clarence had died at the end, i read thats what happened in the original script but dunno if its true or not. all in all a great if under-rated film imo

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 40
RE: True Romance - 17/7/2008 8:15:25 AM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rennie

one of the great examples of a director seeing what a great script he has on his hands and not trying to arse about with it, just let the actors do their job and point a camera at them. probably one of the hardest ways to make a film, just to step back and let the script and actors do their stuff so for that tony scott has to be commended. a lot of stand out moments, the walken/hopper scene is one that is just timeless and for me personally this is the best tarantino script, although i wouldve preferred it if clarence had died at the end, i read thats what happened in the original script but dunno if its true or not. all in all a great if under-rated film imo

They actually shot it both ways to appease QT. Once Quent saw the two endings on screen, he agreed that Tonys worked better for the film he had made.

On the the 2 disc special edition, they show the alternate ending and I agree with the original choice - its a nice upbeat ending to lets face it and always upbeat film (as in alabama and clarence are driven by their love and don't really see the shot storm they have left in their wake)

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Rennie)
Post #: 41
RE: True Romance - 18/7/2008 8:30:24 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

quote:

They actually shot it both ways to appease QT. Once Quent saw the two endings on screen, he agreed that Tonys worked better for the film he had made.

On the the 2 disc special edition, they show the alternate ending and I agree with the original choice - its a nice upbeat ending to lets face it and always upbeat film (as in alabama and clarence are driven by their love and don't really see the shot storm they have left in their wake)

Yeah QT's ending would have left uncomfortable and out of place. The film, while full of violence and a few grim scenes, is strangely 'feelgood'.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 42
RE: True Romance - 1/7/2009 9:02:10 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Great Film. Great Cast, Script. I especially liked Pitt's 'Floyd'.

isn't it amazing how he had one of the smallest roles in the film but ended up becoming the biggest star?

also..... anyone else notice that the final shootout was pretty much the same as the one in Scott's ENEMY OF THE STATE...?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 43
RE: True Romance - 2/7/2009 10:46:22 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

quote:

Yeah QT's ending would have left uncomfortable and out of place. The film, while full of violence and a few grim scenes, is strangely 'feelgood'.

It's the music - uplifting and cute despite blood and violence in abundance

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 44
RE: True Romance - 2/7/2009 1:19:57 PM   
grucl

Did Hans Zimmer nick the main theme directly from Badlands or is it a different re-work of the Carl Orff tune?

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 45
RE: True Romance - 3/7/2009 1:07:00 AM   
JoeyPottr

It wild and crazy but fun, especially all the characters in the movie, no one is boring here. SPOILERS The ending was a nice surprise because usually in movies like this you don't get the nice surprise. The standout characters are Brad Pitts' stoner Floyd and Gary Oldman's nut job dealer.

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 46
RE: True Romance - 2/9/2009 6:44:08 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Y'know, the only thing I can't stand about this film is Bronson Pinchot - he's just a boring c**t! I can't stand his face.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 47
RE: True Romance - 4/9/2009 6:19:41 PM   
MI Cruise

I really wanna watch True Romance, heard really great stuff about it.
Tarantino's dialogues are always brilliant

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

Post #: 48
RE: True Romance - 6/9/2009 11:49:21 PM   
00Nothing

Just finished watching it for about the hundreth time and I still love it, it's a superb film in every respect. It isn't subtle and it does seem to suggest that crime does pay, but I love it for it's feelgood qualities and upbeat attitude to the amorality that goes on throughout, not to mention it has two of the most astonishing scenes in 90's cinema; Walken and Hopper, nuff said, and the scene when Gandolfini and Arquette end up beating the holy crap out of each other.

"I will see you in another life, when we are both cats."

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 49
RE: True Romance - 7/9/2009 3:37:09 AM   
wgamador

Thank you for this thread. Its such a cool love story...here is my mini-review....

True Romance (Director's Cut)

Positives
1. Now this is what I call a Love Story!!
2. Tremendous characters and performances, locations....just great directing.
3. Truly great script....Thanks, Quentin.
4. Amazing cast.....Walken, Hopper, Oldman, Gandolfini, Pitt....and more. Pretty cool to see these actors early in their careers in these roles.
5. Cool action and the graphic violence is slick.....dialogue is colorful and entertaining.
6. The Quentin commentary is priceless, his revelation that he was "Clarence" is humbling. Special Features on both discs are absolutely a must watch if you love this film.
7. The Walken and Hopper scene where they discuss Clarence's whereabouts (amongst other things) is just plain flawless.
8. I can watch this film again and again and again.

Negatives
1. SPOILER: Hopper's death is never revisited or mentioned in the voiceover in the last scene, which I found kind of peculiar.
2. Pitt's character should have had a bigger role, he was great, plus he was ultimately responsible for all the deaths in the final stand-off.
3. Gary Oldman as Drexl, should have had a bigger part or more dialogue....he was great too.

*Final Verdict........4/5........

* Great date movie....and if she hates it, dump her! and find yourself an Alabama.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 12/3/2010 11:07:38 PM >

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to 00Nothing)
Post #: 50
RE: True Romance - 7/9/2009 12:27:34 PM   
CORLEONE

My God, Clarence, do you realise how much coke you have here?

No, why don't you tell me?

I don't know but it's a fucking lot!

Great script, great film.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 51
RE: True Romance - 9/9/2009 4:59:53 AM   
prontron07

agreed great in every way really one of my favs i just picked up  the 2 disc version today i am very happy with it

You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 52
RE: True Romance - 1/2/2010 5:37:47 PM   
Kingseany

It is a cracking film. Tony Scotts best maybe?

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

Post #: 53
RE: True Romance - 1/2/2010 6:40:25 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingseany

It is a cracking film. Tony Scotts best maybe?

no - that would be MAN ON FIRE. imo.

(in reply to Kingseany)
Post #: 54
RE: True Romance - 1/2/2010 8:46:11 PM   
lauriedunsire

My all time favourite film, which I think sometimes people mistake for me claiming it's the best film ever made.  Certainly I know it isn't the best, although it is a fantastic movie in its own right, but personally I just love it for so many reasons and on so many levels - to the point it is even tattooed on my chest...

Brilliant performances from Slater and Arquette, perfect casting in my opinion for their roles, and even though they don't have huge parts I love the likes of Pitt and Walken as well - the Hopper/Walken scene is my favourite scene in any movie.   I think the story is original and well written, and even though Tarantino is my idol I am very glad it was Scott who ended up directing this.   He created a romance as the underlying theme, and made you really WANT the two to end up together.   ***SPOILER AHEAD*** Obviously Tarantino's script had Clarence die at the end, which personally I think would of been a tragedy to the film that Scott gave us.

I love how it mixes action, humour and of course romance - makes it a great film that everyone can appreciate.    Brilliant!

"I know it hurts. That's life. If nothing else, It's life. Itís real, and sometimes it fuckiní hurts, but it's sort of all we have."

Post #: 55
RE: True Romance - 4/2/2010 9:46:21 PM   
Snake-Eyes

an obscure little detail that sticks out in my mind is the fact that Clarence shows Alabama a copy of Marvel Comics' 90's title SLEEPWALKER in 'Heroes for Sale' Comic Shop where he works - he refers to the comic as having a 'great story and wonderful artwork'. I remember that comic and it was rubbish!

(in reply to lauriedunsire)
Post #: 56
RE: True Romance - 4/2/2010 10:22:27 PM   
krudler

How adorable is Arquette in this as well,I love when shes watching The Killer (or is it A Better Tomorrow?I cant remember) and is making chopsocky noises along with the movie Its also completely believeable that the two of them fall in love after one night, both Arquette and Slaters career best performances imo.
I just watched it recently after not seeing it for a few years and forgot how brilliant it is, the script is fantastic "I havent killed anybody...since 1984!" , the performances are all top notch, Oldman, Pitt and Walken all being the standouts, I love Oldmans line delivery "You know who we got here? motherfuckin' Charlie Bronson!"  "I know I'm pretty, but I aint as pretty as a coupla titties" and Pitt is fantastic as Floyd  "Get some cleaning products!"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 57
RE: True Romance - 6/2/2010 3:46:31 PM   
culliford

Did anyone see the unofficial "The Tarantino Cut" of this movie? It's made by someone who has carefully recut the whole thing in sequence with the original screenplay by Tarantino, and in my opinion it makes this movie TWICE as good! Scott's version is, as you know, in chronological order but here it's non-linear as intented, making it as powerful as Quentin's films. Try to find it, you'll be blowned away!

(Btw, it also has the original ending which is way better. Apparently Scott shot it but later decided to go with the more safe mainstream approach...)

< Message edited by culliford -- 6/2/2010 3:49:40 PM >

Films Watched in 2012

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 58
RE: True Romance - 8/2/2010 12:13:11 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: culliford
(Btw, it also has the original ending which is way better. Apparently Scott shot it but later decided to go with the more safe mainstream approach...)

Scott says on the audio commentary that he reshot the ending because he loved the characters so much he wanted to see them get away together.

I think it worked much better to be honest. Tarantino's ending is such a polar opposite to how Alabama is in the rest of the film that it just doesn't sit right, and leaves a nasty, bitter taste in the mouth.

(in reply to culliford)
Post #: 59
RE: True Romance - 8/2/2010 4:00:07 PM   
Virgil Brigman

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: culliford

Scott says on the audio commentary that he reshot the ending because he loved the characters so much he wanted to see them get away together.

I think it worked much better to be honest. Tarantino's ending is such a polar opposite to how Alabama is in the rest of the film that it just doesn't sit right, and leaves a nasty, bitter taste in the mouth.

As QT says for the commentary, the ending that is currently in the film was the best for the film Tony Scott made, which was a glossy, fairy tale approach,  it would be interesting to see if QT had made the film, how the ending would have worked within that context, because his film would have been far different to the one we ended up seeing, which I believe to be one of Scott's best, along with Man on Fire.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: True Romance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI