Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

True Romance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> True Romance Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
True Romance - 22/3/2008 10:58:47 PM   
Freak Storm

TR is one of my favourite films of all time- yet it is largely forgotten, despite the QT connection, by most people.

It's never on TV, for instance.

It features great dialogue, a cast to die for and one of the all-time greatest scenes in film - Christopher Walken & Dennis Hopper.

Any other fans of this classic film?
Post #: 1
RE: True Romance - 22/3/2008 11:24:15 PM   
Manchurian candidate

Does TR mean True Romance or Total Recall? It's rather misleading.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Freak Storm)
Post #: 2
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 3:13:55 AM   
Deviation

It's a great film that made me cry for some reson, but as far as lovers on the run films go, I still prefer Bonnie and Clyde, Wild at Heart, and the mighty Badlands.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 3
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:39:56 AM   
Mr Grady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freak Storm

It's been on TV plenty.  Usually Channel 4 Sunday night slot.

I do like it, the scene with Hopper & Walken being the obvious stand out moment.  That and the great theme music by Hans Zimmer.

< Message edited by Mr Grady -- 23/3/2008 5:40:55 AM >

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

Post #: 4
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 11:56:27 AM   
Freak Storm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manchurian candidate

Does TR mean True Romance or Total Recall? It's rather misleading.

Can't remember Hopper & Walken in Total Recall. Just Sharon Stone looking extremely fit.

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 5
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 12:05:26 PM   
evil bill

TRUE ROMANCE an excellent if not the best Tony Scott movie ever,with so many great actor's doing the job par excellence.Well directed,and a great story,with one of the top ten shoot out's in modren films,what a blood bath.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 6
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 12:48:48 PM   
Chopper

Great film, easily Slaters best film, Arquette did a great job too, fit the charater a treat. Pitt's small part was brilliant, what a great actor lol.

Really is a great film, superb! Didn't like oldman's charater though, seemed a but stupid but hay ho.

Just look at the cast, its brilliant.

Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Dennis Hopper
Val Kilmer
Gary Oldman
Brad Pitt
Christopher Walken
Bronson Pinchot
Samuel L. Jackson
Michael Rapaport
Saul Rubinek
James Gandolfini
Chris Penn
Tom Sizemore

Post #: 7
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 1:28:53 PM   
kingalan

Amazing film. The scene between Hopper and Walken is an absolute masterclass of performance, dialogue and direction and as about as perfect as cinema gets IMO.

(in reply to Chopper)
Post #: 8
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 3:36:10 PM   
Lydia_H

It definitely has it's qualities, many fine performances and a great script for example. But personally I've always lost interest in it by half way and found it to be a bit of a slog to get through. Can't really put my finger on why.

Love Oldman's character though And the Walken - Hopper scene is awesome

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 9
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 3:44:31 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

quote:

I do like it, the scene with Hopper & Walken being the obvious stand out moment.  That and the great theme music by Hans Zimmer.

which is a complete rip off of the Badlands theme tune

great movie though, the best QT movie not directed by QT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 10
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 4:18:01 PM   
Freak Storm

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Amazing film. The scene between Hopper and Walken is an absolute masterclass of performance, dialogue and direction and as about as perfect as cinema gets IMO.

Damn well said - great replies guys; we're seeing the true lovers of film come out here!

As perfect as cinema gets - i couldn't have said it better myself.

True Romace - better than Citizen Kane ANY DAY!

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 11
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 4:24:57 PM   
Baby Bear

Don't make me hurt you! Every bleedin' thread!!!!!

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

Post #: 12
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 4:37:16 PM   
Kazuya

Great fucking film, one of my favorites. Immensely quotable, slick, sharp entertainment.

"Hey Marty, you know who we got here? Motherfucker Charlie Bronson, Mr Majestyk?"

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 13
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 4:50:00 PM   
Freak Storm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear

Now what have i said - that i like True Romance & think it's better than the overated Kane?

Am i allowed an opinion?

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 14
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:05:36 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

quote:

which is a complete rip off of the Badlands theme tune

great movie though, the best QT movie not directed by QT

It's not so much a rip-off. Isn't it just the exact theme tune, but being used by TR? In which case "homage" would be more apt...

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 15
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:08:49 PM   
Baby Bear

quote:

quote:

Now what have i said - that i like True Romance & think it's better than the overated Kane?

Am i allowed an opinion?

Smiley. After post. BTW, you do tend to get a little defensive, you know........................* raises eyes to the gods *

Look, posting another smiley.......... 

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Post #: 16
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:11:56 PM   
Freak Storm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Am i allowed an opinion?

Smiley. After post. BTW, you do tend to get a little defensive, you know........................* raises eyes to the gods *

Look, posting another smiley.......... 

I do get alittle defensive, because i get accused of being a troll when i'm not, i get warned for having an opinion  and asked to stop saying certain things - which i agree to do because i want to have serious debate - and find that others carry on saying the same things to me unhindered.

It's called looking after your own. Just because i'm new & don't have 50 billion posts to my name doesn't mean i can't say whatever they say - that would be an elitist film fan snob clique wouldn't it!

I'll probably be banned now, so you've won.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 17
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:18:38 PM   
Baby Bear

Now you're just being a pillock! Do you know how much it takes to rattle my cage? A lot, I can tell you. I never have a go at anybody on the boards and I'm usually one of the first to mediate in an argument.

You, you jumped up little half-wit, have fucked me off in the extreme!

Attitudes like yours will sour anyone replying.

Going to take time out from posting for a bit. Cheers, guys, it's been a slice.!

< Message edited by Baby Bear -- 23/3/2008 5:20:10 PM >

lympo :

Post #: 18
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:29:59 PM   
richCie

freak storm i have to say you are getting very annoying. it is a true observation that in every thread i have seen ur posts in you have at one time or another said 2 things:
1, that a certain (normally a 1970's crime movie) film is better than Citizen Kane 
2, that people who disagree with you, criticise your comments etc is then immediately an elitist film snob. also there are a far few films that anyone who is a fan of, is an elitist film snob.

now realise this: i am a great fan of modern crime movies, and have no problems with someone not liking Citizen Kane (i've never seen it, so cant sya myself what i think of it) but the fact that you mention it ALL the time, and are always criticising it in some fairly non specific ways, it gets irritating repetitive and pointless. fine make a thread where you say '_____ films is amazing' but maybe once in a while dont follow up with 'and its much betther than Citizen Kane, which is shit'
secondly and most importantly, stop calling people elitist film snobs, i notice that jamesbondguy has been getting a bit annyoed at your constant comments. now understand this we are not all elitist film snobs, and just becuase there are people here who disagree with your taste in films does not make them elitist or snobs. we all have different opinions about what films are better than others, some people like old movies some people like foriegn movies, but that doesnt mean they are elitist film snobs.
so please can you try to bring a bit of originality and civility to your posts by not repeating those two things listed above.

perhaps then you can get some of the discussions you're after rather than endless arguments.

and True romance looks pretty cool, and some of the support it's getting on here is encouraging, i'll have to check it out.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 19
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:37:26 PM   
batcountry84

I thought this was a cracking film. Val Kilmer's part was excellent! 

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 20
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:38:12 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

Great fucking film, one of my favorites. Immensely quotable, slick, sharp entertainment.

"Hey Marty, you know who we got here? Motherfucker Charlie Bronson, Mr Majestyk?"

i fucking love that line i use it all the time, that and "i know im pretty but i aint as pretty as a coupla titties"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 21
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:46:20 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

i fucking love that line i use it all the time, that and "i know im pretty but i aint as pretty as a coupla titties"

Yeah man, it's my favorite line in the film, I used to have it as a signature. Oldman is so unbelieveably cool in the film..

"All right, pretend this is that fine looking centre-fold filly, and you're you." Blam!

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 22
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 5:52:33 PM   
Freak Storm

richCie - I agree, and did agree to stop - but others haven't stopped saying it to me, constantly quoting it or posting links to that thread i started (which i started with the best of intentions BTW). When i am afforded the same courtesey, i will follow suit. Unless i'm banned before then, which i guess is the more likely scenario.

Also, i didn't say i didn't like Kane, just that it's overrated. And anyone who say Pulp Fiction is shallow, or Taxi Driver isn't one of the greatest films ever made (an opinion shared by Empire mag, BTW) IS an elitist snob. That isn't my opinion - it's fact.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 23
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 6:05:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

richCie - I agree, and did agree to stop - but others haven't stopped saying it to me, constantly quoting it or posting links to that thread i started (which i started with the best of intentions BTW). When i am afforded the same courtesey, i will follow suit. Unless i'm banned before then, which i guess is the more likely scenario.

Also, i didn't say i didn't like Kane, just that it's overrated. And anyone who say Pulp Fiction is shallow, or Taxi Driver isn't one of the greatest films ever made (an opinion shared by Empire mag, BTW) IS an elitist snob. That isn't my opinion - it's fact.

*Dr. Fox voice* "Now there isn't any real evidence for this, but it is scientific fact."

I love this film - you should listen to the commentary Tarantino does. Its funny seeing him trying to be fair to the reworked ending when you can tell he prefers his version.

Also my favorite character hands down is the body guard who hates cops. It comes out of no where but the deliverly of the line is gold and never fails to make me laugh.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 24
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 6:12:51 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Also my favorite character hands down is the body guard who hates cops. It comes out of no where but the deliverly of the line is gold and never fails to make me laugh.

Cracks me up too "Hey Lee, something I never told you about me before, I hate fucking cops!"

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 25
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 6:46:20 PM   
kingalan

quote:

If anything (going solely on the Freak Storm Book Of Facts of course), surely saying that Taxi Driver isn't one of the greatest films ever made would make you the opposite of a snob??

Post #: 26
RE: True Romance - 23/3/2008 9:37:38 PM   
richCie

quote:

thought you were being reasonable at first as well...
oh dear, i'm afraid you probably are going the right way about being banned. shame really you do seem to have an enthuasism for films, it would have been nice for you to express that without resorting to snobbery claims all the time.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 27
RE: True Romance - 24/3/2008 3:48:55 PM   
xmagic_dustx

A friend brought it over for us to watch about a year ago and I loved it. I'd never even heard of it, which backs up your theory of it being forgotten. Its a great film though.

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 28
RE: True Romance - 24/3/2008 4:46:39 PM   
*emz6*

one of my favourite films, love love love it

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 29
RE: True Romance - 24/3/2008 8:48:37 PM   
ukacidman

I might big thumbs up from me.
Great Movie. every actor is on top class form.

I even used the maim love theme music for my wedding , to go down the isle to.

" WAKE UP TIME TO DIE
"
last 5 cinema visits 2013
The Great Gatsby 7/10
Star Trek into darkness - 8/10
Iron Man 3 ( 8/10)
Good Vibrations 8/10
Cloude Atlas 7/10

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> True Romance Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI