Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Jurassic Park

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Jurassic Park Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Jurassic Park - 7/1/2013 4:04:05 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

Recently rewatched it. It's so incredible, I love the whole atmosphere in every scene.

And why does the CGI looks better than most movies nowadays?

The saddest thing is how much better the CGI looks than Jurassic Park III. It's embarrassing how bad parts of that movie look (especially the plane scene).
The original however is one of the finest pieces of blockbuster action ever to grace the screen. I love it.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 241
RE: Jurassic Park - 15/1/2013 10:57:38 AM   
Chronicle

I have that with so many movies, I usually find monsters/creatures better looking and scarier in old movies than what you see these days.. Jurassic Park is a good example.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 242
RE: Jurassic Park - 17/1/2013 9:03:28 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

Recently rewatched it. It's so incredible, I love the whole atmosphere in every scene.

And why does the CGI looks better than most movies nowadays?

The saddest thing is how much better the CGI looks than Jurassic Park III. It's embarrassing how bad parts of that movie look (especially the plane scene).
The original however is one of the finest pieces of blockbuster action ever to grace the screen. I love it.

Yep. It does look brilliant. I have to say the CGI for the 3rd film isn't that bad. Its okay, not half as bad as the stuff we get in film even today.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 243
RE: Jurassic Park - 1/2/2013 10:15:44 AM   
FrancescaForster18

One of my favourites but I think if they do anymore it'll lead to overkill.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 244
RE: Jurassic Park - 1/2/2013 10:20:37 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrancescaForster18

One of my favourites but I think if they do anymore it'll lead to overkill.

It's a shame that IV has already been announced, isn't it.
I thought two movies were pushing it (even though I liked The Lost World), and three was already overkill, personally.

(in reply to FrancescaForster18)
Post #: 245
RE: Jurassic Park - 1/2/2013 8:06:17 PM   
FrancescaForster18

I completely agree, it's a shame when they feel the need to keep squeezing money out of films - ruins them.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 246
RE: Jurassic Park - 26/3/2013 11:42:48 AM   
Mr Gittes

Does anyone else agree that Jurassic Park feels like the ultimate Spielberg blockbuster? It has the terror of Jaws, the wonder of Close Encounters and E.T., and the thrills and excitement of Raiders. Aside from E.T. I prefer all the movies I've just mentioned - especially Jaws, no movie comes close to that, period - but nevertheless Jurassic Park is still simply incredible. In fact, while I've always loved JP, it was only when I recently watched it (after buying the blu ray) that I realised that it's pretty much a perfect movie. Gotta be in my top 5 Spielbergs. The guy's made more perfect movies than any other director I know of (though Wilder comes pretty close). When he's at his best, he's just what cinema is all about.

As for the earlier comments about it being its generation's Star Wars, I'd never really thought of that but I can't well disagree. For a while I'd held The Matrix in that position, but since it's a 15 and is pretty effing dark, it doesn't really have that perfect family blockbuster magic to it. So Jurassic Park is the winner! Boy, is it.

Post #: 247
RE: Jurassic Park - 30/3/2013 11:13:19 PM   
rich

Possibly. It's certainly a perfect chase movie, without too much horror and lots of personality, the right amount of momentum. I think Raiders is just a bit better but it's not really worth arguing over as they are both right up there.

As for the Star Wars generation, Jurassic Park was the film of my childhood by a long way but Star Wars still had a bigger grip on my imagination.

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrancescaForster18

I completely agree, it's a shame when they feel the need to keep squeezing money out of films - ruins them.

They should probably just get on with it and call it Jurassic Park: The Revenge already

Post #: 248
RE: Jurassic Park - 31/3/2013 2:07:12 AM   
directorscut

Jurassic Park is easily the weakest of Spielberg's uber-blockbusters, it isn't in the same league as Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders and ET, quality wise. Let's face it, the script is a bit rubbish, and the final product does suffer a bit from Spielberg taking his hands off it to concentrate on Schindler's List.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 249
RE: Jurassic Park - 31/3/2013 9:52:17 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Jurassic Park is easily the weakest of Spielberg's uber-blockbusters, it isn't in the same league as Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders and ET, quality wise. Let's face it, the script is a bit rubbish, and the final product does suffer a bit from Spielberg taking his hands off it to concentrate on Schindler's List.

Wow now that is opinion I disagree with, for me it is the best film ever made. However It's your opinion and I respect it.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 31/3/2013 10:10:54 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 250
RE: Jurassic Park - 31/3/2013 11:30:43 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Yep,I would agree with that.But I still enjoy JP.

Post #: 251
RE: Jurassic Park - 31/3/2013 6:06:01 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

Yeah, the others are better but I definitely disagree on your last point; I've always found it absolutely amazing that he made those two so close together. I'd agree if you were to make that point about his 2002 movies; they're both excellent but Minority Report is clearly the more ambitious of the two.

As for JP's script, if it's "pretty rubbish" then the script for Star Wars is utter dogshit. However, both movies are classics, in my opinion. The dialogue ain't Casablanca but it sure ain't Pearl Harbor either. I used to think the same as you about this movie, but my appreciation for it has certainly grown to say the least.

Post #: 252
RE: Jurassic Park - 1/4/2013 12:10:36 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Yeah, the others are better but I definitely disagree on your last point; I've always found it absolutely amazing that he made those two so close together. I'd agree if you were to make that point about his 2002 movies; they're both excellent but Minority Report is clearly the more ambitious of the two.

There's some sloppy editing in the final act that I wouldn't associate with a Spielberg film, like the scene were Alan reunites with Ellie. I can only put this down to the fact that Spielberg left it in Lucas' hands when he went off to make Schindler's List.

quote:

As for JP's script, if it's "pretty rubbish" then the script for Star Wars is utter dogshit. However, both movies are classics, in my opinion. The dialogue ain't Casablanca but it sure ain't Pearl Harbor either. I used to think the same as you about this movie, but my appreciation for it has certainly grown to say the least.

It's not the dialogue that's the problem, it the plot. There are story strands that go absolutely nowhere like the sick dinosaur and Newman trying to steal the DNA. The story also doesn't quite live up to the potential of the premise. I think it would have been a more fun route to go if the park was open and filled with tourists.

Star Wars on the other hand is a perfect example of the hero's journey. Strongly identifiable characters with clear goals. No wasted scenes. No extraneous stories that go nowhere.

By the way I don't dislike the film, it has some truly great scenes and a majestic Williams score but I don't consider it top tier Spielberg. I'd give it a 4/5.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 253
RE: Jurassic Park - 1/4/2013 12:49:34 AM   
Mr Gittes

Hmm. I'll have to watch it again to look closer at the editing in the sequence you point out. I completely disagree with you on the tourist idea though; I love how they kept it simple with a comparatively small group of characters as opposed to what you'd usually expect from a movie about a dangerous theme park. I'll admit that the sick dinosaur, aside from giving us a more intimate introduction to the dinos, is simply a way of separating Ellie from the others, however I'd say the DNA plot thread serves a big enough purpose. But that's just me. 'tis a matter of opinion after all.

Post #: 254
RE: Jurassic Park - 1/4/2013 12:03:06 PM   
Whistler

quote:

There are story strands that go absolutely nowhere like the sick dinosaur and Newman trying to steal the DNA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

I'll admit that the sick dinosaur, aside from giving us a more intimate introduction to the dinos, is simply a way of separating Ellie from the others

But that's the point right there. Ellie had to be separated to allow certain second and third act events to take place, and the sick dinosaur was just a way of doing that. You could also argue that it serves as one of the biggest building blocks of Grant's character. One of his key elements is that he isn't good with kids and generally isn't very fond of them, but being apart from Ellie forces him to bond with Tim and Lex in a fathering role, a bond which we are then shown the result of in JP3 both through Ellie's son and when he finds Eric. Of course, that's not to say that had Ellie not stayed with the dinosaur that Grant would still suck with kids, but it was undeniably one of the reasons his attitude towards them changed.

Also, on the subject of stealing the DNA, sure it may end up as a bit of a dead end, but it's just playing on the theme of greed which is strong throughout all three movies. In Jurassic Park he's attempting to sell the DNA to get rich. In The Lost World they're attempting to capture dinosaurs to get rich. In Jurassic Park 3, Billy attempts to steal the 'Raptor eggs to get rich.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 255
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Jurassic Park Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI