Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Does It Get Any Better?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Does It Get Any Better? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Does I... - 19/12/2005 8:55:42 PM   
Timon

It's not the most serious film in the world, but admit it...it's one of the most fun!

Doing what MR AND MRS SMITH should have done in showing the private life of spies, Cameron brings his trusty pals Arnie and Bill Paxton and gives us a pure entertainment spectacle.

Horses! Harriers! Henchman flying every which way. Of course in this day and ages, it's probably frowned upon with its relatively stereotypical Arab terrorists....but what the hell.

Arnie and Tom Arnold bounce off each other with entertaining dialogue - "Helen is having an affair." "Welcome to the club!", the stunts are spectacular (even that opening gun fight through the snow with Arnie flying down the slope on his back looks awesome and Jamie Lee Curtis has never looked sexier doing 'that dance'.

Apparantly during the striptease scene,  when she grabs the bed post and falls - that was an accident! Curtis was so nervous about doing the scene that her hands were sweaty. After grabbing onto the post her hand slips and she falls flat on the floor. If you look closely, Schwarzenegger moves to go help her up, but Curtis decided to finish out the scene so he goes back to his original position. Cameron liked the take so much that he left it in the film. Inspiring.

Brad Fiedel's score is as rousing as any Bond theme and Charlton "Guns N Moses" Heston has a great cameo as the head of OMEGA.

With it's final airbourne shootout - do action films get any more entertaining?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 12/12/2008 10:43:18 AM   
Timon

Ha! I ran a search looking for a True Lies thread and I found this! It's so old, they've deleted all the responses!

Anyway, is this EVER going to get a Special Edition Uncut DVD release?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 12/12/2008 10:53:10 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
Anyway, is this EVER going to get a Special Edition Uncut DVD release?

I can recommend the german Special Edition release from Kinowelt:

http://www.amazon.de/True-Lies-Special-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B0007U5V7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1229078954&sr=8-1

It's uncut, has an english audio track and some extras.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 12/12/2008 11:07:13 AM   
Tech_Noir

Sorry this is one of the worst films I have ever seen and most certainly the worst film by Cameron (Piranha 2 doesn't count since he only worked on a third of it).

Yes, there's some big action set-pieces but that doesn't make up for everything else.

Perverse humour that never did anything for me.

Arnie trying to act.

Dull villains.

And the score is CRAP! Just listen to that music when Arnie is riding in on his horse, (said it before) it sounds like the CNN anthem.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 12/12/2008 11:10:55 AM   
Timon

Nah, I like Fiedel's score. I think it's great.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 5
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 12/12/2008 11:22:30 AM   
Monkeyshaver

I watched this again fairly recently & didn't enjoy it as much as I did first time. The action scenes are still pretty good but the plot is very poor (especially considering Cameron is usually so good at writing entertaining action movie plots) & the whole midsection with the wife having an affair subplot grinds the movie to a halt. But worse than that its quite uncomfortable viewing, the interrogation scene followed by the striptease where he basically turns his wife into a whore! & then she smashes him over the head, why? Because she thinks she's about to be raped!! It feels like something out of Red Shoe Diaries, some grubby little male fantasy that doesn't really sit well in an Arnie film. Its Cameron's worst movie.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 12/12/2008 11:38:59 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Nah, I like Fiedel's score. I think it's great.

Oh God, that's... just... awful (I'll take the crab juice).

Sounds like the intro music to a late 90s computer game - or to be more harsh the loading music on the Commadore 64 game.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 13/12/2008 3:23:13 PM   
max314

Great fun.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 13/12/2008 5:00:41 PM   
Deviation

Well, at least it has more quality than Titanic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 9
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 13/12/2008 5:02:23 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I'm amazed Cameron went from gutter crap (True Lies) to transcendent brilliance (Titanic) in such a short amount of time.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 13/12/2008 9:55:34 PM   
max314

quote:

You need to stop watching movies standing on your head.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I'm amazed Cameron went from gutter crap (True Lies) to transcendent brilliance (Titanic) in such a short amount of time

You were surprised that the guy who did The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The Abyss and Aliens was capable of "transcendent brilliance"?

True Lies was just a bit of lighthearted entertainment.  If I were a betting man, I'd guarantee that Cameron took no longer than a fortnight to write the script.  But so what?  It's nice to see Cameron indulging in lighter fare.  And it's still better than 99% of the brainless action romps that come out every year.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 11
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 14/12/2008 1:21:49 AM   
darth silas

True lies is ace.The whole plotline with Taskers wife goes on for far too long but the last 45 mins is just pure spectacle.Oh,and Tia Carrere was hot!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 12
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 14/12/2008 10:57:04 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

True Lies was just a bit of lighthearted entertainment.  If I were a betting man, I'd guarantee that Cameron took no longer than a fortnight to write the script.  But so what?  It's nice to see Cameron indulging in lighter fare.  And it's still better than 99% of the brainless action romps that come out every year.

I don't even think it's good lighthearted entertainment. Last Action Hero was a thousand times better if we're talking lighthearted Arnie actioners.

I actually think Eraser was better than this rubbish.

Charlton Heston with an eye-patch (ooo exciting), a token Arab/Iranian goody sidekick that's obviously the filmmaker's attempt to make up for all the evil Middle Eastern baddies, Bill Paxton constantly talking about titties and bums as though that's all it takes to be funny, grrr.

Hate this, hate it hate it. Cameron should hang his head in shame.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 13
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 14/12/2008 12:15:14 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

I don't even think it's good lighthearted entertainment. Last Action Hero was a thousand times better if we're talking lighthearted Arnie actioners.

I actually think Eraser was better than this rubbish.

Charlton Heston with an eye-patch (ooo exciting), a token Arab/Iranian goody sidekick that's obviously the filmmaker's attempt to make up for all the evil Middle Eastern baddies, Bill Paxton constantly talking about titties and bums as though that's all it takes to be funny, grrr.

Hate this, hate it hate it. Cameron should hang his head in shame.

You arte kidding right? Billpaxton is absolutely hilarious in this film! Hes never been better IMO.

''Shes SO hot,ass like a ten year old boy!''

''OH GOD NO! Take her but not me?''

''Hey you dont have to kill me,i havnt seen your face!''
(Arnie removes his mask)
''GOD NO! NO! I DIDNT SEE YOUR FACE!!''

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 14
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 15/12/2008 5:08:37 PM   
mafyou

I've got to agree with those who really like the film. It was just really good fun. It's not going to change your life but it's Arnie! I hadn't seen the film until I saw it on TV the other night. I miss Arnie! I want him back in films.

Very good fun. The horse chase sequence was awesome!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 15
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 16/12/2008 5:33:41 AM   
ongbakdan

Watched this on dvd the other day and I still find it enjoyable. Sure its very cliched, but the action sequences are still good and lets face it the harrier bits at the end where great. Bill paxton is funny and I can stand Tom Arnold (for once!) and for added hilarity theres the worse arnie stunt double (with added arnie sound effects) i've ever seen. Particularly when he's running down the snowy hill at the start.
I like it and will continue to do so.
"Are we going to die harry?"
"YEP! They going to shoot us in the head or they going to tortue us to death. Or leave us here till the bomb blows up!"

How far would you go to get your answers? What would you be willing to do?

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 16
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 20/12/2008 5:44:05 PM   
kingalan

Isn't there another True Lies thread in Favourite Films?

Great fun nonetheles...

(in reply to ongbakdan)
Post #: 17
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 20/12/2008 8:18:40 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Great fun nonetheles...

Looking at the thread date, this was it.

True Lies is okay, not bad, just ...watchable. If only for a set piece with a Harrier jet. But these two gave us the Terminator films, and Cameron made Aliens. Huge drop in quality.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 18
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 20/12/2008 8:24:26 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

But these two gave us the Terminator films, and Cameron made Aliens. Huge drop in quality.

Finally some sanity.

If this was made by any other director it's a decent accomplishment (despite some very poor moments) but James Cameron? Wrong, just plain wrong.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 19
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 20/12/2008 10:07:47 PM   
Dr Lenera

Saw this on tv for the first time in years a few nights ago and I remembered why this film fustrated me so much.  You have this hugely entertaining James Bondish romp for the first and final thirds,with wonderfully over the top action scenes.  Then in the middle you have this tedious and rather uncomfortable section in which we are presumably supposed to find funny that Arnie spies on,stalks,arrests and interrogates his wife,climaxing with that horrid striptease scene which goes on for ages.  So once again I find the film fustrating and don't really know if I like it or not.  I suppose I do like two thirds of it,but it's easily Cameron's worst film after Piranha 2.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 20
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 21/12/2008 9:39:53 AM   
Zaphod121

Well I liked it

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 21
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 21/12/2008 11:03:15 AM   
DazDaMan

It's great fun - not seen it in ages.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 22
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 21/12/2008 11:45:36 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

I'm amazed Cameron went from gutter crap (True Lies) to transcendent brilliance (Titanic) in such a short amount of time.

I have now lost all respect for you.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 23
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 21/12/2008 11:54:18 AM   
Tech_Noir

Did you not see that ending where Arnie is laughing like a madman as he plays thumb-wrestling with his wife and daughter?

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 24
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 21/12/2008 12:06:11 PM   
Vadersville

Did you not see the ending of Titanic where Rose's ghost goes to spend the afterlife with some guy she spent a few days on a ship with and not her husband with whom she had many happy years of marriage and at least one child?

True Lies is just fun and doesn't pretend to be anything else, Titanic is a load of pretentious, boring melodrama. And who the hell makes a film about one of the most famous British ships about two Americans? What the hell were they doing in Southampton anyway?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 25
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 21/12/2008 12:16:47 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

True Lies is just fun and doesn't pretend to be anything else,

That's where a disagree.

Post #: 26
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 22/12/2008 12:54:16 AM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Great fun nonetheles...

Looking at the thread date, this was it.

It can't be. I'm sure I posted in the last one...

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 27
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 22/3/2009 3:40:30 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Absolutely!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 28
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 22/3/2009 5:53:59 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

Absolutely!

Absolutely wrong.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 29
RE: True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Do... - 23/3/2009 2:15:19 PM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Did you not see the ending of Titanic where Rose's ghost goes to spend the afterlife with some guy she spent a few days on a ship with and not her husband with whom she had many happy years of marriage and at least one child?

Hahaha.... well played.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> True Lies - Arnie At His Best, Cameron On Form...Does It Get Any Better? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI