Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Awake - 16/3/2008 3:32:32 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
A fantastic thriller with a great cast - 16/3/2008 3:32:32 AM   
spy_daddy47

Awake is a short but sweet thriller. There are more twists and turns in this film than most, the cast is very good, especially the women, the always brilliant Lena Olin as Christensens mother and Jessica Alba as his wife are the best two in it. It's surprising this film dthroidn't fare better at the American box office, the majority of people who saw this film thoroughly enjoyed it. Being a short film at 84minutes means it has no time to dawdle and instead packs punches and thrills throughout. Definately worth a watch.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: A fantastic thriller with a great cast - 31/3/2008 2:20:02 PM   
samhain81

i couldnt agree more with Spy_daddy. Short and sweet. Entertainment. 

(in reply to spy_daddy47)
Post #: 3
RE: A fantastic thriller with a great cast - 5/4/2008 1:15:38 AM   
captain jack harknes

Still not entirely sure what to make of it.  I did find it annoying that people could seemingly wander in and out of the operating theatre whenever they felt like it - wouldn't there be at least one locked or secure door to get through?  I found the film generally quite gripping but still have this feeling that there was something missing and that perhaps more could have been done with the horrific subject matter of being awake during surgery.  Still don't rate Alba as an actress - the montage of shots of her prancing around on the beach summed her up - good to look at but vacuous and 1-dimensional.  3/5 largely due to the fact it kept my attention to the end and wasn't a bad evening's entertainment.

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to samhain81)
Post #: 4
RE: A fantastic thriller with a great cast - 5/4/2008 12:03:45 PM   
duncanbell

The majority of the twists and turns can be seen coming a mile off, but it doesn't stop the film being fairly interesting. It is watchable but not great entertainment.

(in reply to captain jack harknes)
Post #: 5
RE: A fantastic thriller with a great cast - 8/4/2008 11:00:34 AM   
captain jack harknes

Is nobody going to watch this?? I can't wait to see what other people think of it - the majority of people I've spoken to weren't impressed!

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to duncanbell)
Post #: 6
RE: A fantastic thriller with a great cast - 10/4/2008 10:30:53 PM   
Diggler

Another film seen courtesy of my new unlimited card. To be honest I wasn't expecting much from this having read a number of reviews all pretty much slating the film.

About an hour or so into the film I was finding it quite puzzling why this film had received such bad reviews. Sure, it wasn't exactly edge of your seat viewing but it wasn't the catastrophe I'd been expecting either. The answer came in the remaining final third. Never before have I witnessed a film collapse quite so spectacularly.

2/5

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to captain jack harknes)
Post #: 7
RE: A fantastic thriller with a great cast - 11/4/2008 11:50:54 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

the shittest film ive seen this year - but also the best

i think you can guess why

what a waste of 5.50!

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 8
Awake Review - 12/4/2008 6:06:01 PM   
owen1

http://confessionsofaprojectionist.blogspot.com/

For some time I've tried to like Hayden Christensen. I feel like I've put in a lot of time and effort and quite frankly I'm sick of having it thrown back in my face. When he was first chosen to play lil Annikins I for one did a solitary mexican wave. He looked the part and most importantly he wasn't James Van Der Beek or Billy from Neighbours. But the man is putting in no work in this relationship choosing duff movie after duff movie. I think I may have to call it a day.

The once Darth is Clay Beresford, a massively rich business man who has an overbearing and slightly Oedipussy mum (those are two words to put together if you want Freud calling), a forlorn fiancee in the shape of Jessica Alba and a rather dodgy ticker. When a replacement heart is found for the man, his best friend, Dr. Jack begins preping for surgery. As he's anaesthetized Clay realises that things aren't as they should be, especially when he can still feel the first incision. As he lies on the operating table taking in every cut he begins to learn some dark truths about his friends and family.

My opening berating of Hayden may be unfair when Jessica Alba puts in a performance of such ineptitude. She may be pretty, but for a sackful of Werthers Originals she couldn't flex an acting muscle. As for Terrence you better rock the shit out of Iron Man if your going to get a christmas card from me this year. Is it just me or do comments like that last one make me sound a little like a pissed off fanboy? I swore this website wouldn't go that way, but its late and I'm tired and this film has left me more than a little peeved.

The main reason for the peeved nature is that the film just doesn't go anywhere. And it certainly doesn't go there fast. Clocking in at well under 90 mins it feels like your under the knife for a much, much longer time. The twists and turns that are supposed to make it feel like a drive down a winding country lane are so borin

Post #: 9
Average thriller with few twists and turns - 22/4/2008 8:03:00 PM   
macca250

The film has a great leading actor and actress. The plot is intriguing and compelling. The thought of it all is horrifying. How can this film fail?

PLOT - The story is not as simple as the trailers make it out to be. You go to the cinema expecting to be uncomfortable at the thought of getting a syringe ripped through your chest when you are unable to do anything. But after half an hour into the film you realise that isn't exactly what you are going to get. You are presented with a love story. That love story leads to surgery. The surgery leads to a weird, weird final hour of the film. The whole focus of the film is aesthetic awareness, but it doesn’t really do much for the film. It almost seems unnecessary. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but the way the film is structured, it really does rely on it.
Cast - Christensen and Alba put in solid performances, but nothing Oscar winning. The chemistry between the characters in the film seems a bit forced, except for Clay's relationship with his best friend, the surgeon. (But then even this ends up with the surgeon wanting to murder clay, so you know…what the hell?) There is nothing really to comment on the acting, just solid and mostly believable.
OTHER - The film is well placed at the beginning. Just your normal, average film. But after Clay goes under, the film becomes nothing short of insane. Clay's out-of-body experience mixed in with the film's twist, just transforms it from a thriller to god knows what.

Awake is a watchable film, a standard thriller that’s just a little on the strange side. A film worth seeing, but not one that’s likely to stick in your mind and one you'd want to watch again.

Post #: 10
Awake. - 26/4/2008 7:35:19 PM   
nc_jj

A really awesome thriller with sick twists that you never expected.

Post #: 11
Awake. - 26/4/2008 7:35:24 PM   
nc_jj

A really awesome thriller with sick twists that you never expected.

Post #: 12
Sick! - 30/4/2008 1:12:44 PM   
Empo

I am never going for surgery! This film was horrible it made me cringe so much, and trust me I anit usually squimish! Other than that though it had some good twists and some that were a bit predictable ones. And something else I relalised, Jessica Alba is quite a bad actress!

Post #: 13
Brilliant - 10/7/2008 3:50:51 PM   
Mousee

It was a great film with a twist in the middle that noone would expect

Post #: 14
A Brillant Thriller. - 16/8/2008 8:15:50 AM   
joanna likes films

This twisted thriller keeps you on edge throughout the eighty minutes, hoping and praying that he would be alive and fight the people he called friends. I rented this out yesterday and I found it very good, my sister couldn't see the surgry and my mum didn't like the swapping of hearts but I stayed on, frightened that he might not make it. The pefomances were very good, Hayden Christensen is a talent that should not be igorned and he had some good roles ie Star Wars and hopefully there should be more for him in the future. But he's good in this, crying out to everyone that things arren't right here. Jessica Alba is good as his wife who may not be all she seems and Terrence Howard is brilliant as the doctor who also could be not what he seems. The shocking thing was the ending, I got it and I'm quite picky about silly endings but it had a good one so I'm not complaining! In all, a brilliant thriller with some horrifying twists and it's grip never leaves until the final moments.

Post #: 15
Good Idea Gone Wrong... - 8/1/2009 6:13:19 PM   
izzy_crime94

This movie, you don't know whether to decide if it was good or bad. The idea was excellent but the should of put more thought and more plan into it. I think that it was too short. You would expect it to be longer. They make you left sitting there wondering what will happen after the team of murderers are arrested, if there will go to jail or be let lose. That is what I don't like about it, it doesn't really tell you the story well enough.

Post #: 16
- 4/11/2009 11:39:31 AM   
ivanahump

underated, nice twist but lack of tension

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Awake Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI