Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 8:38:51 PM   
great_badir

Come on then, let's have the full run down.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 541
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 8:48:55 PM   
elab49

The print looks great (to my entirely untutored eye). There are parts that have a lot of grain (the almost blinding rain on the bridge eg) and that just works fabulously.

But sitting seeing it in the cinema, cleaned up so nicely, including the soundtrack - an absolute treat.

It was added late to the festival so I'd to actually cancel 3 films as part of my overall rearrangement and rebuy tickets (you don't get refunds) to see this one. Absolutely no regrets.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 3/3/2014 8:49:44 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 542
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 8:51:08 PM   
great_badir

Anything new in there, or is it the same as the US DVD?

Ooh, also - does it still have the appalling (and obvious) dubbing in the New York sequence ("up you and the horse you rode in on!!!"), or have they sorted that out? That's the only thing that grates me about the film.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 543
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 9:01:26 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
It was added late to the festival

My Glasgow correspondent has an informer on the inside and some of the organisers suggested adding it, but apparently the consensus decided that it didn't fit into this year's theme.

Nothing mentioned about the last minute showing though - colour me very annoyed, jealous and other things.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 544
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 9:19:34 PM   
elab49

I don't think there's anything new - you mean some of the stuff that was added against Friedkin's wishes in other earlier cuts?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 545
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 9:27:08 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I don't think there's anything new - you mean some of the stuff that was added against Friedkin's wishes in other earlier cuts?

Nah, stuff not in any released version - there's a few little snippets in Scanlon's going-stir-crazy flashback that were cut, and also a couple of other bits and bobs that I've read about and have seen stills of over the years. Nothing major, but just added a bit more meat to the bones.

I'm pretty sure they also filmed Nilo killing Marquez, or, at least, what Kassem sees when he goes into Marquez's abode. As it is, we just see Kassem's reaction, of course.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 3/3/2014 9:31:36 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 546
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 9:30:43 PM   
elab49

Now you say that (and I'm also now wondering if I'm turning into one of those who think they see Madsen cut the ear off) I'm sure you see more than the reaction but into the room too. I didn't pick it up as different.

quote:

Post #: 547
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/3/2014 9:37:40 PM   
great_badir

You do see a bit of blood stained clothing very briefly, but that's it. I'm 99% sure I read that they filmed more than that.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 548
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 28/4/2014 1:16:19 PM   
great_badir

elab, if you're watching, I have seen it.

It looks amazing, and I had no idea just how washed out the colours were on the existing DVD. The ever changing colour palette (and how it looked when it was originally released, I guess) adds to the surreality of the thing.

Just one thing - could do without the gunshot at the end. Granted, it's not greedo-shoots-first territory, and it still leaves some abiguity, but nevertheless it seems unnecessary.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 549
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 30/4/2014 8:40:31 PM   
elab49

Did you plump for the US release? I'm holding out for the UK one since Mr Friedkin demands it by BR!

quote:

Post #: 550
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/5/2014 12:46:44 PM   
great_badir

I haven't actually got it myself yet (shock horror). A mate of mine has got the US BR which, despite what Amazon US says, IS region free, so it will play on UK players.

But, amazing though it looks (and sounds), I might wait a bit anyway to see if another release comes out. Just going by Friedkin saying last year that he would be giving it a Cruising-style release with commentary and such. Based on no evidence whatsoever and going purely by my cynicism and experience from having been burnt many many times in the past, this vanilla release seems like a temporary measure just to get cash generating.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 551
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI