Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 28/5/2011 3:40:18 PM   
elab49

Personally I think what Tarantino does goes far beyond homage to outright copy/pasting at times. Increasingly I think his real skill is self-promotion.

I do think, though, that even if you like something the first time seeing it done over and over again by someone who doesn't have enough talent to do anything else makes you so tired of it that the first thing you saw it in, that you thought you liked, becomes an almost unbearable watch, because you've now seen it over and over again and recognise the limited talent on display. Ricky Gervais, IMO, is a prime example of this. I now find the UK Office virtually unwatchable.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 451
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 28/5/2011 3:51:58 PM   
chambanzi

Agreed with Ricky Gervais. The UK Office was one of the funniest and best shows on television and I think the problem is that Gervais realised it was funny and let his ego increase too much. His first stand up acts were funny too until he observed what people liked and recycled it. He has actually become David Brent in real life, he started off acting arrogantly for a joke but it has reached the point where he is actually an arrogant twat.
And I agree Tarantino has become a caricature of himself too but what you are essentially saying is his first film annoys you more because of what he achieved after the film (which was very similar) which to some degree is like saying you loved Minority report at the time but hate it now because you keep thinking of how much of a tool Tom Cruise became and have adapted to his weird mannerisms. So in a sense, as I said in the original post, this is biased right?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 452
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 28/5/2011 4:10:38 PM   
elab49

That isn't quite what I said though. It was nothing to do with the 'who' but what they could do. It wasn't that Ricky Gervias is a twat per se - which I agree he is - but that everything he does is virtually the same thing over and over again. So if you keep seeing that over and over again then the first thing you saw it in, rewatched, just becomes one of that over and over again list and is intrinsically diminished by that.

For Reservoir Dogs there were bits that I thought were fresh and new and down to talent when I first saw it - even though I knew The Killing, e.g, and Pelham and both are far better films. But if I begin to see some of the other films that Tarantino 'homaged' or 'cuts bit out of' then the bits I admired inevitably become less admirable. Things like - I know it's basically a couple of other heist films but look - that bit was good! But then you find out the 'that bit' was just a limit to your film knowledge and actually that bit was from another film too. I don't dislike Reservoir Dogs - certainly not to the extent Great Badir does - but I certainly don't view it the way I did when it came out. And each rewatch that falls a little more, I'm afraid. I don't care if it's Tarantino or AN Other - it is specifically the film I'm talking about.  And, like Badir, I still enjoy a lot of Pulp Fiction.

Anyway - even before Cruise became a public tool, he was still a fairly limited actor. Also, for full disclosure, I've always found Minority Report kind of crap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 453
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 28/5/2011 10:03:32 PM   
great_badir

I agree with elements of what both of you have said.

I hated (and I mean really hated) Dogs when I first saw it (too young to have seen it at the flicks - I saw the US laserdisc, so 92/93) because, far from seeing it as a homage, I saw it as a complete rip-off.  When my thoughts were confirmed, it just angered me and when I then found out Tarantino had originally presented it as an original story (presumably under the belief that Average Joe Public will never see a Chinese film that didn't star Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan, and who was interested in an also-ran 70s thriller - as it still was then, lingering in bargain bins the world over - !?!?!?), I could have crushed a grape.  So it was a kind of snowballing effect, but that snowballing was latterly about QT himself, not Dogs, which I already had a huge dislike for.  So, you could say, I hated Dogs on its own merits for a LONG time and it was only a few years later (probably when I wasted good money at the flicks to see the abysmal Four Rooms, inexplicably now something of a cult fave, and Destiny Turns on the Radio in qucik succession), AFTER I had seen Pulp Fiction (which, again, I love - I don't think there's a single thing wrong with it), that my Dogs hatred extended to QT himself.

As for Ricky Gervais - I'm undecided.  I like The Office and Extras (though the second series was slightly ruined by changing Maggie from a bit ditzy to uncharacteristically and annoyingly dumb), even though the real star of Extras was Darren Lamb - if ever a character needed a spin-off.  I also am enjoying the animated Ricky Gervais Show.  BUT I can't stand Gervaise himself.  I saw his first stand-up show (Animals) at the Colston Hall in Bristol and paid £45 for a just-shy-of-70 minute show, and I think I laughed once throughout the whole thing.  But it won't stop me from liking The Office and Extras and it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the animated show.

Finally, Tom Cruise has always been a tool...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 454
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 28/5/2011 10:35:50 PM   
elab49

Wait, what - Four Rooms has achieved a degree of popularity?!?

quote:

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 455
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 28/5/2011 10:53:29 PM   
great_badir

6.4 on IMDB.  It's verging on respectable now, and much of that is not ironic fandom either - a lot of critics seem to be re-appraising it as an undservedly savaged film.

Having seen it again fairly recently, I can confidently say I still find it to be a steaming pile.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 456
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 28/5/2011 11:15:12 PM   
MonsterCat

The middle chapters of Four Rooms are pretty funny, but the Tarantino section and that thing with Madonna can fuck right off.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 457
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 31/5/2011 2:44:19 PM   
rick_7

But your hatred of Dogs seems to have far more to do with the supposed unmasking of Tarantino as a magpie (not an actual magpie, but a figurative one), than it does with the actual quality of the film, which you've barely addressed at all. There's no outright thievery in there; no more so than in a thousand other films. And I'm not sure your thesis makes sense, given that you've said on the previous page that Tarantino's "schtick" annoys you. That style of writing, that way of expressing himself via densely-packed pop culture references, is totally original. He can't be totally original and at the same time a complete plagiarist.

Personally, I would take Dogs over every single one of the other films you mention. And that's because it's got heart. Real heart: crystallised in that climactic exchange between messieurs Orange and White. It's a deft, funny, brilliantly-acted thriller with an inspired, labyrinthine structure and a heap of unforgettable scenes: the stand-off, the ear, the commode story. And, as much as I admire Pulp Fiction, Tarantino hasn't even come close to matching it.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 31/5/2011 2:47:33 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 458
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 1/6/2011 1:17:15 PM   
great_badir

I'll concede that my "review" has far more to do with QT than Dogs itself, but my base hatred of the film has absolutely nothing to do with what QT has become - I have always hated Dogs, from the first time I saw it. I hate it no more now than I did then, it's just now I also hate QT.

I disagree about the thievery, though - Dogs just takes bits and pieces (in the case of City On Fire whole sequences - such as the stand-off - and, if memory serves, even dialogue) and the only thing that's different is the actors and what they are wearing. It's not homage or pastiche, as with many films - I think it is outright plagiarism and many people would seem to agree. The outcry following Bob Mills' initial article was pretty impressive - for a time it even eclipsed all the hoo-ha about the ear slicing scene.

And, whilst Tarantino's "schtick" may be original (although now, nearly 20 years later, he's proving to be a bit of a one trick pony), that doesn't necessarily make it brilliant by default - Manos: The Hands of Fate is completely original, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the worst films ever made. Nor does it make the set-pieces in Dogs original - you can lift the opening of the Ark of the Covenant shot for shot (melty faced nazis included) from Raiders and have them all talk about what fetishes they have for cartoon characters whilst doing it and the dialogue would be original. But that doesn't stop it from being a shot for shot lift of the opening of the Ark of the Covenant.

For you it's got heart, is deft and funny. For me it's wall-to-wall copy-catting and reams of completely pointless dialogue and exchanges padding out a rather empty script and a stolen story interspersed with stolen scenes - that's what I thought then, before QT's writing became his "schtick", and it's still what I think now.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 459
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 17/8/2011 12:48:20 PM   
great_badir

Okay, I think I've run out of steam with this thread now. I'd love to just keep it going and going but, honestly, I don't think my heart's in it any more. That plus the fact that there are already several other better (and funnier) lists on the go as I write this, not to mention some young turks with a much better turn of phrase. The world has moved on and left me behind.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

(turns into a 90 year old poor black man, picks up a shitty and battered acoustic guitar and starts playing some really depressing blues)

P.S. - this isn't me signing off from the forum, just knocking this thread on the head.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 460
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 6:35:04 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Evil Dead, Black Rain, Big Trouble in Little China, the Spaghettis you've mentioned, Wong Fei Hung, Akira, High Plains Drifter... Same page great_badir, same page

And there are a few here that made my Top 20 as well. I look forward to reading your comments on my choices.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 461
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 6:49:06 PM   
great_badir

Well now, just when I thought this thread had whimpered out through being ignored!!

Thanks.  A shame a chunk of choices earlier on in the list got removed (I probably did some naughty hotlinking to posters), though.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 462
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 6:53:31 PM   
Snake-Eyes

BTW, I've only just recognised your AV - SORCEROR, yes? Friedkin's take on WAGES OF FEAR?

Post #: 463
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 7:13:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes
BTW, I've only just recognised your AV - SORCEROR, yes? Friedkin's take on WAGES OF FEAR?

Indeed.  See number three in this very thread (page 8, or something).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 464
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 7:23:18 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Got it. Great List man. Your No. 1 - BLADE RUNNER... Y'see recently I've been sorta 'rediscovering' this film via the AWESOME 5-disc blu-ray set. There is just so much to take in with every viewing, simply gorgeous to behold.

What's your take on the recently announced sequel? And what about Ridley's PROMETHEUS?

Post #: 465
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 8:06:50 PM   
great_badir

As I have said in separate threads for both - the Blade Runner sequel could be amazing, but it could also just as easily be about as good as Scott's other films for the last ten years or so, i.e. watchable, but for the mostpart far from being masterpieces.  Which brings me on to Prometheus which, as Scott's first sci-fi since Blade Runner, will probably be a good indicator as to what we can expect, quality wise at least, with the Blade Runner sequel.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 466
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 8:20:21 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Good point. Well, fingers crossed eh? It'll take a LOT for these new versions to match ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER though.

Post #: 467
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 9:03:22 PM   
swordsandsandals

I'm very optimistic about Prometheus, although I'm not sure why. I just get a feeling that it could be something special.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 468
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 9:08:28 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I'm very optimistic about Prometheus, although I'm not sure why. I just get a feeling that it could be something special.

Hope so too sands. I like the fact that the production is shrouded in mystery and we know next to nothing about it. The first teaser trailer will be JUICY!!

btw - I'm still f**king pissed at you for not having seen ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, THE THING and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 469
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 9:12:19 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

Hope so too sands. I like the fact that the production is shrouded in mystery and we know next to nothing about it. The first teaser trailer will be JUICY!!

btw - I'm still f**king pissed at you for not having seen ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, THE THING and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA!

Well I've been totally put off Snake Plissken by the utter turd that was Escape from LA, but I'm sure I'll check out those others at some point. Although I might just watch the remake of the Thing instead when that comes out...

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 470
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 9:14:56 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I've been totally put off Snake Plissken by the utter turd that was Escape from LA, but I'm sure I'll check out those others at some point. Although I might just watch the remake of the Thing instead when that comes out...

You do that and I'll never be best friends with you again!!! LOL

Nah man, I understand you being put off by ESCAPE FROM L.A. but that film was f**king atrocious! Watch the original and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Post #: 471
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 9:25:35 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Comparing LA with NY is like comparing Jaws The Revenge with Jaws.

Also, the new Thing is a prequel, not a remake - it goes over what happens in the Norwegian camp, leading up to the beginning of Carpenter's film.  But you should still watch Carpenter's The Thing asap because it's VERY unlikely the prequel will be that good.  By any standard, The Thing is an incredible piece of film making.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 472
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/9/2011 9:31:34 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Comparing LA with NY is like comparing Jaws The Revenge with Jaws.

Also, the new Thing is a prequel, not a remake - it goes over what happens in the Norwegian camp, leading up to the beginning of Carpenter's film.  But you should still watch Carpenter's The Thing asap because it's VERY unlikely the prequel will be that good.  By any standard, The Thing is an incredible piece of film making.

Absolutely.

Post #: 473
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/9/2011 6:17:31 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Remind me, you liked Avatar a lot, yeah?

And yes, you should watch The Thing.

Post #: 474
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/9/2011 10:14:03 PM   
swordsandsandals

Ok, note taken, I'll watch the Thing some time.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 475
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/10/2012 2:48:46 PM   
great_badir

So this thread was finished, but last week I saw a film which insulted and angered me so much, it has forced me to come out of “retirement”. Oh and spoilers, maybe…

I’m just today back from a few weeks’ holiday(s) – a week in sunny but windy Weymouth (where I had THE worst fish and chips I’ve ever had) with the wife and daughter, which was a lovely family break, then back to work for a few days, mostly spent in some vacant soon-to-be-demolished shop units (for a reason – I wasn’t loitering or squatting or anything), and then off up to Glasgow to stay with a mate for a few days. Whilst in Bristol airport waiting for my departure, I was sat next to Burger King (on the upper floor, for those that know it). In Burger King itself, there was a gay stag/hen do with both bride and groom in tow. They were all wearing numbered pink football shirts. The highest number I saw was 15, so I’ll say there were fifteen guys in the group, however I probably only eyeballed eight or nine of them. I’m not sure if they were all gay, but most of those sat in Burger King appeared to fit the stereotype – flamboyant, camp, staggeringly handsome and well dressed, perfect hair etc etc. Number 10 was sat closest to me and I’m convinced he was taking a bit of a shine to me as he kept staring at me, more and a lot longer than just a passing glance as you might do whilst people watching. Eight or nine (insert universally-accepted-as-sexy-male-celeb here)s walking around, and the only one I can attract looks like Les Dawson. I know, I know – looks aren’t everything. But he REALLY looked a LOT like Les Dawson. Sadly/happily they were not on my flight – I’m guessing they were going to a sunnier and warmer clime, as most of them were also wearing shorts and sandals. Anyway, on my first day up there, we went to “Cineworld Tower” to see Looper. Not bad. Not as important or ground breaking as it likes to think it is, but different and entertaining enough. Also, Bruce Willis is finally starting to look old. I thought it would never happen. But day three…

Something happened on day three that I will never, ever, forget, because we went to see a film which made me want to walk out literally within five minutes of it starting. I’ve only felt compelled to walk out of the cinema twice – Godzilla and Armageddon – but that was after an hour or so, and I stayed to the bitter end on both occasions. I’ve only switched off a film once in my entire life – Hideo Nakata’s Chatroom. I think I managed about twenty minutes before giving up. I’ve not been able to finish it off since. And, over the years, I’ve worked through all sorts of clag – I’ve seen pretty much all of Ray Dennis Steckler’s films, most Troma (good and bad), loads of 70s and 80s cheapo genre flicks and their European copycats (try and track down Turkey’s Karate Chick from the early 70s if you can – heavy influence from martial arts and blaxploitation of the time) and I’ve sat through The Room. Twice. (I’m sorry – The Room is just boring and is a sorry excuse for the latest “so bad it’s good” fancy. It’s so bad it’s bad). So you could say my tolerance levels are pretty high – as I’ve said many a time on this forum, I’m fiercely critical, but I WILL sit through any old shit you care to throw at me.

All of which is a long introduction to day three’s infamy, which will live very long in the minds of two sad film geeks. We could have gone to see showings of All the President’s Men or A Clockwork Orange at the GFT, but as we’d both seen those relatively recently, we decided to plump for a new release. After Looper, the only thing which really had any interest was Savages (which coincidentally co-stars Chatroom’s Aaron Johnson), long built up as Oliver Stone’s comeback film. It now sits firmly in the top 5 worst films I have ever seen – as I said, five minutes in I was ready to walk, but I held back. And it got worse. And worse. And worse.

I can only imagine that the day this…thing got the greenlight, Ollie walked in to the suits’ office and had something akin to the “honest” exchange between Peter Gibbons and The Two Bobs in Office Space, because I can’t see how else they would have given it the okay:
Oliver Stone: I want to make a film version of that novel Savages.
Suits: Oh yeah, the drugs one?
Suits: That’s got some pretty good acclaim. Should make a good film.
OS: Yeah, and you’re gonna LOVE what I plan to do with it!
Suits: Oh really? Tell us…
OS: Right, so…….ohhhhhh, this is gonna be fucking AWESOME!!!!! Okay, so I’m gonna be reasonably heavily influenced by my own Natural Born Killers…
Suits: …o…kay…
OS: Yeah, but I’m gonna sort-of re-do the spirit of it and do it even worse this time…
Suits: …
OS: I’m also going to rip off Tarantino – you guys still love Quentin, right?
Suits: …it depends…
OS: So I’m gonna do that, but again do it REALLY badly and even worse than he would do it. I’m also going to get a really badly written script and get the writers to chuck in some scenes reminiscent oooooooooooof……..oh, I dunno……..let’s say The Mod Squad and XXX…
OS: But yeah, there’ll be loads of great dialogue like “he fucks, he makes love”, “he doesn’t have orgasms he has”, wait for it, “WARgasms”!
OS: And stuff like “you’re already dead – you were born dead”. All of it, amazing. Okay, so the three protagonists, right, they are going to be ridiculous hateful characters whose demise the audience will be rooting for within about ten, fifteen minutes. And I’m gonna make the polyamorous relationship completely unbelievable – YOU’LL BELIEVE A VET WITH POST TRAUMATIC STRESS WILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES WITH AN AMICABLE LOVE TRIANGLE.
Suits: Who are you casting?
OS: Ah, yeah – okay, so our three leads will be Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson and Blake Lively – hot young stars. I also want Salma Hayek, John Travolta and, for some real kudos, Benicio Del Toro…
Suits: …well, Benicio’s really just doing it for the money these days…
OS: so yeah, Benicio for kudos. But I’m gonna make them all give REALLY bad performances – Benicio’s gonna play it like he’s out of some Cheech and Chong film and I’m gonna make it seem like Salma doesn’t really have a clue what she’s saying or what her dialogue means. I’m also going to do a not at all annoying FUCK YOU to the audience near the end and rewind an imagined ending and then shit out this other alternative as the real deal. So, whaddya think?!?!?!?
The suits look at each other…
Suits: Bring it in for less than $50 mil and you can do it.

It can’t have happened any other way. It can’t have done…

It comes to something when, at THAT point with the rewind following the imagined ending, teenage girls (presumably there more for the two male leads than Oliver Stone) do a collective audible groan. One man walked out just after this moment and I’m sure I heard him mutter “whatever, I just don’t care any more” as he walked by. And he had a point, if that is what he said, because I didn’t care either. About anything or any one. They could have all joined in on some fucked up suicide pact and I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid. In fact I was actually put out that our three protagonists were NOT put out of their (our) misery – not only are they stereotypes (war [c]hunk, sensitive hippy hunk and poor little rich girl with “annoying whore” written all over her), but they are so hopelessly put together that one wonders why the hell they’ve been put on screen in the first place. Stone himself has claimed that he put his heart and soul into these particular characters, fitting the extended world around them and not making them fit into the extended world. If that is the case, then someone needs to have some very strong words with the man who once brought us the likes of JFK, Salvador, Platoon and Talk Radio. Oh, and The Hand. Following the savagery (heh) our brains had been subjected to, in a Brazilian restaurant (barbecued meats ahoy), we actually both toasted to the end of Stone’s career – how about that for taking a film personally? For years I wondered how on earth Uwe Boll received death threats from film goers – yeah, his films are bad, but c’mon – but now I think I understand, empathise and sympathise with those film goers. As I said at the beginning, I was insulted by what I’d seen. It’s like Stone had walked up to the camera, smiled, turned around, dropped his trousers and then took a massive shit on screen. For two hours and ten minutes. And then pulled his trousers back up, turned back to the camera, smiled and then walked away into the sunset like he’d been the one single person to fool Columbo.

There is nothing in this film which is salvageable – all of the performances are atrocious, the script belongs in some shitty straight to DVD action film trying to be something it isn’t, the ever changing film stock, colour pallet and editing all become an awful sort-of Natural Born Killers recurring nightmare (sorry, I personally can’t stand NBK) and even the much discussed torture sequence comes off as little more than an also-ran excerpt from a Saw sequel, so quite how this sorry excuse for an A-list film has been getting largely “mixed to positive” reviews is completely bewildering. Even Empire’s tentative two star review, in my opinion, gives the film far too much slack – Savages is from a director with a lot of experience and who, really, should know better. A LOT better. Its advance notice made it look a whole lot better than it could ever hope to be and, in the end, would never manage in a million years. Instead Stone has ripped out our eyeballs and spread some of that shit from earlier into the empty sockets, and filled our ear ‘oles with not-so-sweet nothings, and perhaps the odd “fuck you, audient” thrown in for good measure.

If I was from a culture where I had never been to the cinema or had never seen a film or moving image on a big screen before and someone took me to see this, then I don’t think I’d ever go to the cinema or a see a film ever again (once I’d gotten over the fear of giants coming at me about to jump out of the screen at me).

I sincerely hope you never work again, Mr Stone.

How about that for savage?

PS – I care so little about Savages that I couldn’t even be assed to bastardise the poster. But work on the assumption that the word “SAVAGES” has a line through it and somewhere in the immediate vicinity is scrawled, in poor Paint free-hand, “SHIT”.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 3/10/2012 3:50:57 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 476
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/10/2012 3:01:26 PM   
Deviation

So, did you like it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 477
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/10/2012 3:05:40 PM   
great_badir

Fucking amazing film, obvs.

Can't quite understand how you would think that I would think otherwise...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 478
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 3/10/2012 4:36:40 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I read as far as needed to find out what film you were on about and don't want to read that for fear of spoilers but I do hope this means a thread resurrection!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 479
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 4/10/2012 12:18:43 AM   
siegfried

Savages is the first film I've walked out of since A. I.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI