Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/5/2011 8:20:22 AM   
great_badir

Do it Quint - it is quite an amazing little film. For me it's Friedkin's best, and I'm a huge fan of 70s Friedkin, so I already think pretty highly of The French Connection and The Exorcist, but Sorcerer is just another level altogether.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 391
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/5/2011 11:47:35 AM   
elab49

Brilliant review of Medium Cool. I looked out the film I think, partly, because I kept seeing his name turn up in some of my favourite films - unsurprising, being a fan of John Sayles. But the work round and about the conference floor in The Best Man is superb and pretty far ahead of its day, still noteworthy now. I also think it's got one of the best first lines, in context, in film - sets the tone perfectly. In fact, I'm going to dig it out and watch it again right now thanks to the review

Guerilla style - you mean like Wilder and Seitz did in 1945, filming Milland wandering the streets of NY for drink?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 392
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 6/5/2011 12:12:39 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Brilliant review of Medium Cool. I looked out the film I think, partly, because I kept seeing his name turn up in some of my favourite films - unsurprising, being a fan of John Sayles. But the work round and about the conference floor in The Best Man is superb and pretty far ahead of its day, still noteworthy now. I also think it's got one of the best first lines, in context, in film - sets the tone perfectly. In fact, I'm going to dig it out and watch it again right now thanks to the review

Guerilla style - you mean like Wilder and Seitz did in 1945, filming Milland wandering the streets of NY for drink?

Thanks elab.

Yeah, I forgot about Lost Weekend (which will probably turn up in this list at some point). I also forgot about the original D.O.A

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 393
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 6/5/2011 2:56:02 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Hot Rod, Akiva Schaeffer (2007)

The old axiom goes that Saturday Night Live spin-off flicks are, by and large, terrible.  There are actually dozens of SNL films, far more than people realise, and most of them (like Harlem Nights) only loosely related to the SNL stable, where only creative, technical and financial talent is shared.  Some of them (like The Blues Brothers) are SNL sketches writ large.  Unfortunately, most in both categories really are rubbish - for every Blues Brothers there's a, well, Harlem Nights.  A rough count further suggests that for every Blues Brothers, there are actually two Harlem Nights.  These days it's probably three.  The affliction has got so bad that, since 2000's The Ladies Man, all SNL films (regardless of whether they were directly or loosely related) have not carried any form of major SNL backing or promotion, presumably to try and stop poor box office having an adverse affect on the show itself, as happened with Night at the Roxbury and Superstar.

There's a second, even older, axiom that goes SNL (the show) dipped in quality following Eddie Murphy's departure and never really recovered, getting ever worse with each subsequent line-up, save for a slight upward blip or particularly good cast member every few years (check out the complete list of SNL players on Wikipedia and compare the number of proper famous types you remember, with the number of "who the hell were/are they?" types).  The current line-up is one of the few where both criticism and praise are roughly split down the middle - there's no obvious break-out star like Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, John Belushi, Eddie Murphy or Will Ferrell (though why on earth people think the latter is a comedy genius is beyond me).  There are no really memorable characters (even Jimmy "kiss-of-death" Fallon managed a couple of stand-outs).  Far too many of the sketches fall flat on their face (the promises-great-things-but-sadly-doesn't-deliver Walken Family Reunion sketch, for example).  Yet there's no denying the group as a whole are talented, which explains why all of them pop up (usually as supporting actors) in pretty much every mid-range to major American comedy film of the last few years.  Which, by way of a probably overlong introduction, brings me onto Hot Rod.

By all rights and initial indications, Hot Rod would have been yet another Harlem Nights - an also-ran SNL support cast, Will Ferrell starring, writing and producing (so a potential repeat of the dreadful and laugh free Talladega Nights and criminally over-rated Anchorman) and an untested director.  The end result still had the also-ran cast and untested director, but with Ferrell out of the picture and, most crucially, his original script (which no doubt largely formed Talladega Nights) essentially binned, things started to look better for Hot Rod.  The cast was beefed up with more SNL alumni, all of whom contributed to the script, and Pam Brady (fresh from a long writing partnership with Trey Parker and Matt Stone) took over lead writing duties.  And so it was that Hot Rod got good.

It came with no expectations other than probably being shit, so when you see, in the first two minutes, Rod Kimble attempt a jump on his rubbish pedal motorbike before ending up on the concrete, vomiting from injuries, there's a little hallelujah moment.  Yes it's stupid, yes it's similar to all the other modern smart-ass comedies that usually feature Seth Rogen (not featured here) and yes the most famous people in it are Sissy Spacek and Lovejoy.  But it's quotable, often relentless, culty (in a good way) and also features one of the best comedy falls in cinema history.  And, gosh darn it, it's a feel-good heart warmer.  Although it is still considered by many as a bit of a hound, the constantly growing fan base proves something about the film works.  Perhaps it's the lack of expectation that surrounded it (think back to Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigolo - a Rob Schneider film everyone assumed would be terrible, but amazingly turned out to be good).  Perhaps it's the unusually high quota of in-jokery and obscure references to long forgotten films and music that only complete nerds would pick up on.  Whatever it is it's good.

Cool beans?  Cool beans.

I think I like Hot Rod because it does that thing comedies are meant to - it makes me laugh. A lot. I've not seen all of your list but this is probably the best film on it.

Cool beans indeed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 394
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 6/5/2011 3:19:59 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals
I've not seen all of your list but this is probably the best film on it.

Every single Malick flick (with the exception of Tree of Life, of course) is in there. Although I think the Badlands entry may have been deleted (not by me).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 395
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 6/5/2011 9:38:58 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals
I've not seen all of your list but this is probably the best film on it.

Every single Malick flick (with the exception of Tree of Life, of course) is in there. Although I think the Badlands entry may have been deleted (not by me).

I retract the above statement about Hot Rod. It is still amazing though.
As for you review...

NAILED IT.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 396
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 7/5/2011 3:08:24 AM   
Pigeon Army

Going back to your review of Hot Rod and looking through that page, it just reminded me how often you use the word "overrated", badir. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 397
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 7/5/2011 10:17:37 AM   
great_badir

Yep - I use it way too often.

It's like I'm an addict and that's my crack.

Must...go...cold...turkey...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 398
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 7/5/2011 10:28:38 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

Yep - I use it way too often.

It's like I'm an addict and that's my crack.

Must...go...cold...turkey...

Going cold turkey is overrated.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 399
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 7/5/2011 3:58:27 PM   
great_badir

Crack, however, is very under rated...

*Kids - don't take drugs

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 400
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 4:33:42 PM   
chambanzi

What a fantastic list! At times when I was reading I was surprised to see how eerily similar our movie taste is and at other times how very different.
Great list though!

Post #: 401
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 4:44:13 PM   
great_badir

Thanks chambanzi.

It's a labour of both love and hate which I am constantly struggling with. 

I'm umming and ahhing about knocking it on the head.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 402
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 4:47:39 PM   
elab49

Do you mean starting a different list with a different approach?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 403
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 4:50:43 PM   
great_badir

At the moment I have no definite "replacements".  I have two possible goers, but both are logistically challenging.

But I'm conscious that people may be bored with this one.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 404
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 5:13:56 PM   
elab49

It's got great reviews of interesting films - people may not post, but look at the hit count.

Ultimately I do think we do these lists for ourselves - so if you feel that a format isn't working, that's when you change.

Logistically - do you mean getting/watching the films?

quote:

Post #: 405
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 5:19:19 PM   
great_badir

Thanks for the positive words.

Oh no no no - I either own or have seen them.  It's just the way in which I plan to do them is quite daunting, especially when I'm only on the forums for a few hours a week.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 406
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 10:56:47 PM   
chambanzi

I'm inspired to do my own list soon although there are a lot of films people on here love that I wouldn't put in and plenty of films I like that others wouldn't appreciate. It won't stop me doing a list soon though.

Post #: 407
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 7/5/2011 11:14:56 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: chambanzi
I'm inspired to do my own list soon although there are a lot of films people on here love that I wouldn't put in and plenty of films I like that others wouldn't appreciate. It won't stop me doing a list soon though.

This does not matter - as long as you sensibly reason the whys and wherefores, people will read.  Just look back in my Favourite Films thread and you will see all sorts of bollocks* in there.  Or search for any of my Citizen Kane and/or PTA comments - if that doesn't make you feel less worried about it, nothing will

* - not actual men's bollocks.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 7/5/2011 11:16:01 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 408
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 8/5/2011 12:18:27 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Crack, however, is very under rated...

*Kids - don't take drugs

Too late, doing drugs and it's all your fault.

You need to do a list of your favourite Roy Scheider films.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 409
RE: great_badir's New improved list! - 8/5/2011 12:19:24 AM   
great_badir

Heh.

There are more than just Sorcerer, though.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 410
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 8/5/2011 1:33:46 AM   
chambanzi

quote:

quote:

This does not matter - as long as you sensibly reason the whys and wherefores, people will read.  Just look back in my Favourite Films thread and you will see all sorts of bollocks* in there.  Or search for any of my Citizen Kane and/or PTA comments - if that doesn't make you feel less worried about it, nothing will

* - not actual men's bollocks.

I'm a bit undecided on PTA. I thought Boogie Nights was good but Magnolia was ridiculously pretentious and I thought Punch Drunk Love was awful.

Post #: 411
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 11/5/2011 1:11:37 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I'm a bit undecided on PTA. I thought Boogie Nights was good but Magnolia was ridiculously pretentious and I thought Punch Drunk Love was awful.

I'm very decided - I think his films are rubbish and he's a rubbish director. I saw Boogie Nights on region 1 DVD, back in the days when films routinely came out on DVD in the US before they made it to our cinemas, and thought it was awful - turgid, overlong, technically overblown ("look at me, I can do a long steadicam shot - that must make me as good as Scorsese, right?!??!") and just generally poor. Skip forward a couple of months to its UK release and every critic and magazine was fawning over it like it was the second coming and I refused to believe it was the same film. The whole thing is like the wedding scene in The Deer Hunter, but lasting for two and a half hours. I may be mistaken, but doesn't Burt Reynolds still hate it? I know at the time, even after it was starting to get good notices, that he wasn't too enthusiastic about it. Have to side with him on that one.

Quite what people see in PTA and his films is beyond me - I haven't like any of them, with the exception of Hard Eight, which is watchable but mainly for Philip Baker Hall.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 412
RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films - 16/5/2011 12:46:34 PM   
great_badir

Coming soon...

Influenced by swords’ little diversion in his list, I thought I might do the same in mine for a while to keep things fresh and, hopefully, spark a bit of debate, so in the next couple of days I’m going to start going through some of my most hated films.

Some of these films deal with serious ISSUES – I am not here to discuss those ISSUES in this thread, I am only addressing their (de)merit (or, what I think are their demerit) as FILMS. Further, some, most or all of these will be UNPOPULAR OPINION. Opinion being the key word – MY most hated films. I am happy to discuss, receive constructive criticism etc etc, but anyone who is just going to come in and leave some verbal abuse will be given very short shrift. Unless it makes me laugh, in which case I will expect more of equal hilarity (I am not above some self, or third party deprecation).

I am not doing this to troll or play devil’s advocate – these are films that I genuinely hate.

So, up soon to start the ball rolling, my very worst film of all time – what I think is the nadir of cinema history, the very worst of what humans are capable of in terms of film-making. A film that makes me sound like a whingeing 80 year old man. A film I hate so much that I would rather sit through (in one go) a complete Paul Morrissey/Andy Warhole retrospective, every season of MST3K’s choices WITHOUT the MST3K commentary, Weekend at Bernie’s 2 and, hell, Citizen Kane (it's NOT that). And I reckon all of you are going to think I’m insane (if you didn’t already)…

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 413
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 19/5/2011 11:01:19 PM   
great_badir

Trainspotting, Danny Boyle (1996)

When Trainspotting came out in 1996 I was 17, naturally passing myself off as 18.  I was in the last year of my A levels with a whole year off ahead of me before looking for work.  I'd passed my driving test and bought a car (a G-reg post box red Ford Escort, 1.3 five door hatch which had done 143000 miles and is still the most reliable, efficient and cheap to run car I've ever owned) and I was in my first wave of proper independence.  At the same time, pretty much every film geek on the planet was getting moist at the prospect of the Star Wars trilogy being re-released on the big screen (they were yet to know of the full horrors that awaited them), whilst the "professional” film world was alight with fawning praise over a hot new film, from a hot new director, based on a hot new novel and featuring a hot new cast.  It was cool, it was edgy, it had a corking soundtrack, it was gritty, it was controversial, it was true to life and it had one of the most "terrifyingly realistic” screen villains/anti-heros of all time.  More than that, it was BRITISH.  It was the toast of an otherwise disappointing Cannes (despite not being shown in competition, most of the Cannes jury and attending critics agreed it blew the competing films out of the water) and American critics and audiences ate it up to such a degree that Bob Dole made a speech LIVE ON US TELLY about his concerns over this horrible little thing from that small village over the water turning every single American man, woman and child into a hopeless criminal sex addicted drug fiend.  Even Kenneth Turan, notoriously wary of films coming out of the hype machine, thought it was the best and rawest thing he'd seen for years.  Danny Boyle, Irvine Welsh, the cast of Trainspotting and Iggy Pop became the very best and most highly regarded in their respective fields and it started a whole new movement of film making, music, fashion and social mixing.

So I duly went to the cinema to see it, along with everyone else.  Including the Star Wars geeks.

Ten minutes in I hated it.  Thirty minutes in I couldn't wait for it to be over.  One hour in and it seemed like I'd been in that dark screen for ages.  By the end, as the credits rolled, I decided it was the worst film I had ever seen.  It remains so to this day.  And yes, I have seen it more than once.

So why do I hate it so much, this now-regarded-as-a-masterpiece little independent, low budget Brit flick?  What madness had I developed?  Why was I going so far against the general grain?  Because it perfectly encapsulates and demonstrates everything that was so mind numbingly awful about nineties "kewl Britannia”, especially for someone like me who was stuck, culturally speaking, in the seventies.  The Chumbawumba Brit-pop generation will, I'm convinced, one day be the embarrassing trough of my contemporary now 30-somethings everywhere – politicians getting down with the kids and using words like "cool” and "guys” in official conversation, endless streams of plastic teen pop and fill-the-mould sound-alike grumpy youngsters with ATTITUDE singing out of tune, Prince Charles kissing a Spice Girl, the new wave of much-better-than-when-they-tried-it-in-the-80s (yeah, right) yoof television, and when individuality actually meant following the crowd and being like everyone else, cos if you weren't you were a square.  Give me fucking strength.  For me, Trainspotting was the figurehead poster boy of all of this and in its relatively brief running time did little other than alienate me from the modern world.  Danny Boyle's frenetic MTV style direction (then hailed as brilliant and the way forward – obviously this was before MTV-style direction called to mind Michael Bay and little else) annoyed me massively – let's chuck in every quirky angle we can come up with and frame it with as many different colours as we can get – like some Ritalin addicted teenager (pun intended) being given a camera and some film.  The writing was all "creative swearing” (oohh, how very clever) and how, apparently, we youngsters wished we all talked if we didn't already talk that way.  All fast and clever, like.  The story propels with characters that are by turns stupid, annoying, deserving of everything they get, and that I didn't care two shits for.  And the twitchy acting, oh-so realistic that it is.  Which brings me onto Begbie.  By now I think most members of this forum who know a little about me are quite aware of how much I hate over acting, especially when the subject of the over acting is doing a saliva spewing, mugging panto villain – Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth, Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter and the like.  Basically, OTT performances in films where everyone else is playing it small and low key (by the same token, and recalling another thread, Rafe Spall is the reason that the otherwise brilliant The Shadow Line has a few notches taken off that brilliance) – they fit as well as OJ's glove.  Trainspotting has Begbie who, so I'm told, is absolutely pant-shittingly scarily real.  Sorry, but no – Robert Carlyle is a fine actor to be sure (his turn as Albie Kinsella in early episodes of Cracker was FAR more scary and FAR more realistic), but his unhinged turn as Begbie is a primo example of just the type of screen "villain" (although he's not really a villain) who scares me the least and, if anything, annoys me to the max – sneering, SHOUTING, sweaty and greasy, heavy drinking, wearing a wife beater vest etc.  So he must be scary.  Right?

Time was when it did have one redeeming feature for me - I used to find the bed sheet scene hilarious, lowest common denominator slapstick that it is, and I'm not above some braindead silliness (it's easier for me to list the Chevy Chase films I DON'T like).  But even that doesn't raise a smile with me any more, and hasn't done for years.  Because now it's just another part of a film that I can't stand, from a director who I can't stand (Sunshine is okay, but as for the rest…).

You might even say that that scene is a very good representation of what I think of the whole film.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 19/5/2011 11:07:29 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 414
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 20/5/2011 12:38:11 PM   
great_badir

Maybe not as controversial a choice as I first thought...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 415
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 20/5/2011 12:58:10 PM   
elab49

I thought much of the direction was an attempt to, well, replicate is the wrong word - but it fit generally with some of the sections where it tried to put the impact of drug use on the screen, particularly for an audience that hadn't a clue about it. So I didn't see it all in the way you did, which may have coloured my view.

quote:

like some Ritalin addicted teenager (pun intended) being given a camera and some film. 

was, I thought, part of the point.

I went to see it with some friends in London and it was pretty well-received. They forgave me for laughing myself silly at that speech, but they enjoyed the whole and could relate eg to the job interview from hell (if not the reason for it). I still think it's a wonderful film. I'm not a great fan of the type of music included, although I do like Born Slippy (and the soundtrack Underworld did for the Frankenstein stage show is surprisingly bloody marvellous). The swearing sounded like your standard working class intellectual in the West of Scotland, so I guess Irvine Welsh copied that (or perhaps they just picked up the patois from filming in Glasgow because Leith was too dodgy).

It did quite well in the Hall of Fame a while back as well.

So yes - dreadful first choice. Do carry on

quote:

Post #: 416
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 20/5/2011 1:09:15 PM   
great_badir

I didn't think for one minute that there'd be many agreeing with me, nor will there be for many of my choices.

I know, from historic discussions, that there ARE some other established forum members who think Trainspotting is a steaming pile, but we are few and far between.

I just...hate it. It annoys me, it bores me, it frustrates me. I can't even look at the poster without a bit of blood boiling and it has forever tainted my thoughts of everyone involved, and Boyle's subsequent films (Sunshine aside) have done little to sway me.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 417
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 20/5/2011 1:11:25 PM   
elab49

What was different about Sunshine? (I do like it myself, but I prefer the above steaming pile, Shallow Grave and Millions).

quote:

Post #: 418
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 20/5/2011 1:16:32 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Shallow Grave

Another one I can't stand. And don't even mention Slumdog...

I don't know - Sunshine just clicked with me somehow. I've always believed that EVERY director has at least one half decent film in them (Paul WS Anderson has Event Horizon) and, I guess for me, Sunshine is Boyle's.

I won't deny that Boyle is at least versatile, but every single one of his films.......urgh.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 419
RE: Great Badir's Not So Favourite Films - 20/5/2011 1:18:21 PM   
elab49

There is an odd superficial similarity between those two best films, I think.

I'll avoid mentioning Slumdog

quote:

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Great Badir's Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI