Andy McNab

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Andy McNab Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Andy McNab - 14/3/2008 1:51:33 PM   
Castor Troy

I've recently finished Bravo Two Zero which I stormed through in 2 days, unable to put it down due to sheer greatness. Probably one of the most enthralling books I've ever read. So naturally, I want more.

Having a quick look on Amazon he's got loads (which I knew) but most of them are fiction which I'm not sure on. I saw one called Immediate Action which looks like it's real life shit, so I'll definitely get that, but are there any others?

And also, how do his fictional ones compare to these?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 1
RE: Andy McNab - 14/3/2008 1:55:47 PM   
jonson

I keep meaning to read Bravo Two Zero but have never gotten the chance. I did read one of his Nick Stone books (Dark Winter I think it was called) and I was completely underwhelmed, then tried another one and got bored, hence why I stopped there.
What you can't take away from his writing though is his experience. The bloke has been there and done it, fair play to him.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Andy McNab - 15/3/2008 1:39:06 PM   
elab49

I should make clear I'm not a fan BUT I suppose they did get my brother reading and he has enjoyed the fiction as much as the supposedly fact one. He thinks Chris Ryan is the same if that is any help.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: Andy McNab - 28/4/2008 7:06:44 PM   
Castor Troy

I recently read Chris Ryan's 'The One That Got Away' which is just as good if not better than 'Bravo'. I think his story is equally exciting but he seems a bit cooler too. I'm now reading his 'Stand By, Stand By' which seems to be a real-life/fiction cross over. Obviously fiction but influenced a lot by his experiences and life. 

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Andy McNab - 28/4/2008 7:18:13 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I was looking through my grandfather's old books and came across this (well a book by the same guy, about the same subject, so I presume it's a reprint of the same book, but I could be wrong) a few months back, and I will say that it's very good. whilst not told in the same way as, B2Z, it is the account of the SAS's first proper deployment in Malaya during the 60's, it's bery much a story at the regimental level, but there are a lot of accounts from various members that served.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 5
RE: Andy McNab - 28/4/2008 7:39:22 PM   
BobaJango

I posted an Andy McNab thread a while back and it didn't get a single reply!

In all honesty i love his books. I always get through them extremely quick due to how accessable they are. Bravo Two Zero is still the best although Immediate Action is a great read. Having read all of the Nick Stone books i must say that i love them as well but you have to start from the beginning (Remote control) to really care that much about the character of Nick Stone.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 6
RE: Andy McNab - 8/5/2008 4:12:37 PM   
BigKovacs

I'm reading Firewall at the mo. McNab's style is quite basic and he can drag out unimportant parts of books which bizarrely makes what should be very dramatic parts seem very pedestrian and unintentionally I think it works. The slow pace he uses refects how a K probably would stake a place out or whatever, it somehow makes the scenarios seem more realistic. Another thing I like is Stone's character, he has no real loyalties, no remorse, is fairly shallow and he's practically sociopath which makes him a pretty unlikable character but these are traits that would probably suit a K very well. He's also human in the sense that if he's not super human like say Jack Reacher is, he loses fights, can be killed and fights dirty.

Over all I like McNabs work becouse his stuffs clunky, ugly, warts and all and actually seems feasible. And McNab really has seen it all and got the t-shirt so the bullshit factors probably not too far fetched.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 7
RE: Andy McNab - 10/5/2008 9:04:06 PM   
Castor Troy

I'm loving reading SAS stuff at the moment. It really is the pinnacle of adventure. But having just read Ryan's Stand By, Stand By, I think I'll be sticking to real life stuff. It was good, but a little contrived. I did find myself wanting to read more, and I loved the cliffhanger at the end, urging me to buy the next in the series, but it jsut doesn't compare. I'm onto McNab's Immediate Action now.

Apart from that one above, what are the best real life SAS books?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 8
RE: Andy McNab - 11/5/2008 11:05:53 PM   
Vadersville

I loec Andy McNab's Nick Stone novels, although I agree that some bits can be a bit drawn out the first person narrative combined with McNabs own experience makes these novels so thrilling and realistic.

Nick Stone is such a flawed, human character that to really appreciate him you need to see his story from the beginning. I wouldn't suggest reading anything before Remote Control, the first in the series. After Liberation Day hey do seem to get a bit tedious and repetitive and I almost have a disliking for McNab because he keeps putting Stone through this shit over and over again. Seems sad I know but over the course of the books you do really start to feel for him. For me, even though I keep reading them, Liberation Day was the perfect ending to Stone's character. Now I get round to each of the new books (one seems to pop up every year) but really my enthusiasm has gone and I wish McNab would try writing something different or at least a new protagonist.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 9
RE: Andy McNab - 19/5/2008 1:58:17 PM   
King_Bard

I love the Nick Stone novels....but as Vadersville said i really think McNab should try something differenet....
Nick Stone for me has ran his course.....

Ive also got Chris Ryans books which i think are slighty better....

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 10
RE: Andy McNab - 19/5/2008 2:09:02 PM   
BigKovacs

Didn't McNab start a new character a year or so ago? About a young lad who's father was an ex- SAS guy who was thrown out for cowardice and the boy tries to clear his name. I'll google it later if I get a chance.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 11
RE: Andy McNab - 25/5/2008 4:09:46 PM   
Vadersville

Yeah, but they're only the Junior novels for kids. I got all excited when I heard that his next book was called The Grey Man and about a normal everyday man who decides to rob a bank. Then I found out it was just one of those short read books...

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 12
RE: Andy McNab - 25/5/2008 7:12:05 PM   
Mojo

I've just ordered Remote Control, looking forward to getting into it!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Andy McNab Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI