Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lars And The Real Girl - 11/3/2008 8:48:46 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
super film - 11/3/2008 8:48:46 PM   
clarkeycats

this is such a good film, saw it the other day. feels odd how you can feel emotion for a doll but the film works, showing how people can pull together and help out with one mans illness. Ryan Goslings performance is absolutley superb!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: super film - 12/3/2008 8:33:15 AM   
Lightfoot

This looks like the stupidest film idea in a long time. I'll reserve judgement at this point.

(in reply to clarkeycats)
Post #: 3
RE: super film - 15/3/2008 12:12:50 PM   
kasper_t

This film caught me off guard, completely. It DOES sound like a bad idea, but the film is much more clever than its premise might lead you to think. It's a beautifully scripted and directed film and Gosling is just perfect. Watch it for a stellar turn from Emily Mortimer as well.

"How's Annie?"

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 4
Lars And The Real Girl. - 16/3/2008 1:57:11 AM   
nc_jj

It's the funniest film in years.

Post #: 5
RE: Lars And The Real Girl. - 21/3/2008 3:37:04 PM   
thedrin

Loved it.

Not an out and out comedy, the film is concerned with Lars rehabilitation into society. Many of the early scenes of Bianca are very very funny, but the tone shifts - expertly so - as the story becomes more of a relationship drama of that between Lars and Bianca and the townspeople.

That the audience can treat Bianca as a real person by the end is remarkable.

(in reply to nc_jj)
Post #: 6
review - 22/3/2008 12:03:43 AM   
vb/tim

i disagree with helen, it is lars sister-in-law's pregnancy that leads to his delusions, his fear of loving someone who could leave him (as his 3 family members have in different ways) that results in him loving a permanent fixture(the doll).

this is a very well acted/directed film.

gosling will be a true great if he follows the right path

this is my first post, hello to you all

Post #: 7
lars - 27/3/2008 1:56:29 PM   
moviemaniac2

I couldn't get past the fact that the entire town bending over backwards for a Lars neurosis – no one ever mocking or beating the crap out of Lars for his peculiar fixation . It’s schmaltz cranked to Truman Show levels. Salvation comes from Gosling , the man can act more with his eyes than many an actor can with his whole body. In fact, it's the entire cast that stop the preposterous plot from falling down, and avoid the minefield of bad jokes. Also, why does half the cast look like they drssed in the dark at a charity shop?

Post #: 8
Amazing - 6/4/2008 12:34:35 PM   
raven_girl

It's such a beautiful film, really touches you and I'd never thought I'd say about a film about a sex doll, it's not just about that, it's about community as well, The acting is superb all the cast are great, and Ryan Gosling wow, not to give you anything away but the way he acts with the doll is beautiful and brings tears to your eyes. Kelli Garner is also superb as Margo and a fantastic charcther actress

Post #: 9
RE: Amazing - 6/4/2008 8:23:05 PM   
Filmfan 2

I absolutely adored this film, most definitely the best thing I've seen this year. Funny and deeply touching (cried both times I've seen it), with Gosling turning in yet another excellent performance. Shot right into my Top 10 Films of All Time.

5/5.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to raven_girl)
Post #: 10
- 7/4/2008 7:09:15 PM   
shawshank prisoner

despite tremendous performances, the film is impossible to truly believe and the predictable nature of the film against the clever script give it a contradicting feel of sickliness and heartfelt.

Post #: 11
RE: - 9/4/2008 10:21:58 AM   
Timon

A really touching and heartfelt film. Sure the way the town rallys around Lars is unrealistic as is the fact that no-one openly mocks him but that's not what the film is about. It's about friendship and people needing each other and that's what makes the film work.

4/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 9/4/2008 12:01:10 PM   
valo03

One of the most clever and beautiful films produced this year; Like Lightfoot I thought it was a stupid idea and I couldn't believe how beautiful it actually was

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: review - 14/4/2008 5:37:39 PM   
Papa Jeff

quote:

ORIGINAL: vb/tim

i disagree with helen, it is lars sister-in-law's pregnancy that leads to his delusions, his fear of loving someone who could leave him (as his 3 family members have in different ways) that results in him loving a permanent fixture(the doll).

this is a very well acted/directed film.

gosling will be a true great if he follows the right path

this is my first post, hello to you all

I think you're spot on about the pregnancy thing, isn't there a point in the doctors office where he expresses this fear? Anyway on the whole i don't really know how to feel about this film, i liked it but towards the end i just couldn't wait for it to finish as the longer it ran the more farcical it got, which i felt eventually took away from the main point.

(in reply to vb/tim)
Post #: 14
- 22/4/2008 5:37:25 PM   
cluesy

I finally got to see this little gem of a movie at the electric in birmingham. It has brillaintly tempered performances, Gosling obviously further prving his skill but Paul Schneider and Emily Mortimer proving exceptional as well. You even start to feel for Bianca midway through the film, however it is hard to believe everybody would be so accepting of the circumstance. So if you can suspend your disbelief and a bit you'll find a warm, kind-hearted, funny film =)

Post #: 15
Lars is the real girl - 16/5/2008 7:06:41 PM   
fifeco

Well, I have to say that I strongly agree with Empire's review. "Lars and the Real Girl" is a powerful and touching drama that should teaches a lesson about the acceptance of different human conditions inside a comunity. In my point of view, Bianca is the Lars that Lars never wanted to be but in fact is. Confusing? Not much. Just watch the movie and enjoy a very swell time.

Post #: 16
Lars is Weird - 3/7/2008 12:48:37 AM   
lynnshep

Funny, touching, moving, but still a movie about a guy who develops an attachment to a sex doll.

Post #: 17
Fantastic - 8/7/2009 1:43:30 PM   
laughingChrisCS

I lived in a Northern Canadian town just like this one for over a year and it is amazing how the townsfolk rally round each other. My Ukrainian wife also drew parallels with her home town. So the premise is accurate, to a certain extent. But that is not it. The relationships (or lack of, In Lars' case) are beautifully drawn and the performances superlative. A fantastic little experience. Loved it.

Post #: 18
Brilliant - 28/10/2011 3:07:45 AM   
Coyleone

What a great little movie this is. A brilliant performace from Gosling and the rest of the cast aswell. really moving and touching.

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Lars And The Real Girl Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI