Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Just make it good Bryan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Just make it good Bryan Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Just make it good Bryan - 15/3/2008 7:02:13 PM   
rattlehead57

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taz69

Superman Returns was really a big letdown. Very dull colours most of the time, only the bright space shuttle rescue scenes were true to Richard Donner's films and the comics, the rest was grey or white and quite gkoomy which is suited Batman but not to Superman.
Spacey was great as Luthor so more of him please, Luthor really Supermans only memorable villain where Batman has countless of the little devil. If the sequel is any good then please can we have Doomsday and The Death of Superman storyline (with him staying dead this time).

Come on!
Surely u don't think the costume's colours look better in Donner's superman than in 'Returns?

- Get out.
- Where am I supposed to go?
- I don't know.
- You don't know, or don't care?
- Pick one!

(in reply to Taz69)
Post #: 151
RE: Just make it good Bryan - 15/3/2008 7:24:28 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Also, not sure if the studio would go for the whole 'Kill Superman' storyline. Might affect future Superman films, him being dead and all.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to rattlehead57)
Post #: 152
Superman sequel - 15/3/2008 7:29:19 PM   
Kitwalker77203

I think it is awesome that a sequel is being made and there will be lots of action. I did not like, Superman Returns the first time I saw it but having viewed the movie at least 3 more times I do think it was a great movie. I thought the late Christopher Reeves was great as Superman and I think that Tom Welling would make a great Superman but I do like Brandon Routh. My real only criticism is I like the old Superman suit Christopher Reeves wore. But indeed, bring on the sequel, I can't wait.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 153
RE: SUPERMAN IS THE NUTS - 16/3/2008 4:59:37 AM   
blueyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bates

I personally thought that Superman Returns was brilliant. there was a real effort made to ensure that all aspects of Superman were addressed. i cant believe anyone would say Superman is boring! there is no super hero that could beat him (without the help of kryptonite). I think that if Superman Returns had concentrated on the action instead of storyline and understanding the mentallity of the man of steal it would have been much less of a film than it is.

Agreed.  Superman Returns is a FILM.

Bryan does get the character.  He just needs to add more action and a faster pace in the sequel.  I'd like to see Brainiac and Lex as the villains!  And I also expect to see a more content Superman than in SR.  I think that now that he has found his place in the world, and seems to have accepted his destiny as Earth's greatest protector, he will be much more confident and badass.  With Jason in the world, Supes now has more reason to protect the world and kick butt!!!   So many possibilities.

Brandon Routh Fan Forum:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Brandon_Routh

(in reply to Bates)
Post #: 154
Were is your heart? - 16/3/2008 12:24:04 PM   
kdawg

Superman Returns was brilliant, being a comic reader for years, having watched the first 4 films multiple times( even quest for peace), i thought it was a great way to bring the character back!
The shuttle save was breath taking, the romance and heart of the film was very moving, finally Superman had a problem he could not solve, his own feelings! The whole film was shot with such love and care, everything looked beautiful. Bring on the sequal, so glad Singer is directing again.

Post #: 155
RE: - 16/3/2008 7:55:25 PM   
skippy82

I thought the 'plane save' and the 'bullet in the eye' scenes were that much more effective due to the lack of action in the film overall. I'm not a big comic book reader but is Luthor not the only real nemesis Superman has? I take it it's not like Batman or Spiderman where you can pick & choose the villans.

Post #: 156
RE: RE: - 16/3/2008 10:22:48 PM   
cdjwfan

Yaaaay! A sequel! Can't wait and if it's anything like as good as Returns it should rank among the best of superhero movies.

He's got a two-day headstart on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.

(in reply to skippy82)
Post #: 157
RE: RE: - 16/3/2008 10:25:30 PM   
cdjwfan

Oh yeah, just remembered. Scrolling down the forum I saw a complaint saying something like 'will they play John Williams' theme every five minutes again?'
What the hell is wrong with that? I'd gladly listen to that on a loop forever.

He's got a two-day headstart on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.

(in reply to cdjwfan)
Post #: 158
NO - 17/3/2008 3:29:58 AM   
crimebusterofthesea

As much as Ilike Brian Singer Returns sucked

As will a sequel, though I hope against hope it does not

Post #: 159
YES - 17/3/2008 4:58:28 AM   
taylorheston

Do I want to see Superman return again? YES! Do I want it to be with Singer! A resounding YES! Singer understands Superman in a way that the detractor flunkies who pan Returns never can. When I heard the news that Singer was still going to be involved in the continuation of this story, I cried a little -- tears of joy.

Post #: 160
YES & Supes HAS OTHER VILLIANS!!!! - 17/3/2008 8:09:57 PM   
geministyle

I love the Superman character and I would love to see another movie, which stays true to the Superman history, but I am soooo tired of Lex Luthor I could puke. U notice that every HIGHLY succesfully Spider-man movie had a DIFFERENT Spidey villian. Are the writers that uncreative that they can't use Brainic, Metallo, Mxyzptlk, parasite, Bizzaro, etc etc, but every movie and tv show seems to FOCUS on Lex Luthor

Post #: 161
SUPERMAN; THE MAN OF STEEL - 18/3/2008 8:47:53 AM   
boredbluekoala

The sooner the better Bryan, Superman Returns was awesome.

Post #: 162
Most Definitely - 18/3/2008 4:22:09 PM   
shaded_silver

Okay, so maybe in terms of action it didn't have as much as Spiderman 3 or Die Hard 4.0 BUT the story was crucial. Hollywood tends to only focus on the action and the CGI sequences and the story tends to suffer from this. Singer directed it wonderfully, he got the balance correct in my opinion. If there is too much action I tend to get bored - there has to be some meaty storylines in a film otherwise it is tedious.
Hoepfully we should see more action for the sequel, but the plot should not suffer from it!

Post #: 163
RE: - 18/3/2008 6:56:47 PM   
justified by grace

quote:

ORIGINAL: pughy

i think a sequel would be great!
although i dont see what the problem was with the first one (superman returns i mean)
it was a little light on the action, but lets face it, the script was brilliant and the plot outstounding.
oh, and visually, one of the best films ever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan2

Absolutely brilliant news!

Superman Returns is right up there with Batman Begins as one of the best superhero flicks made (leaving aside any technical arguments about Batman being a superhero). It was a poignant, meditative film exploration of the character of Superman and his place in a modern world.

I've never understood the criticism that this film came in for from some quarters, is really is a titanically good film. I guess there wasn't enough explosions for some peoples taste and they actually had to concentrate on a story with characterisation for a change. 

quote:

ORGINAL: Flanboy

I seem to be one of the few people who actually thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated Supes Returns,,, and I can say that I'm thrilled by the news. Singer = Awesome.
Mr B Routh better be returning though.  

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeighVenus

fantastic film, for my money its easily in the upper tier of comic book films. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbar7406

This was one of the best looking comic films ever. Singer directed with style 

quote:

ORGINAL: kdawg

The whole film was shot with such love and care, everything looked beautiful. Bring on the sequal, so glad Singer is directing again.  

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdjwfan

Yaaaay! A sequel! Can't wait and if it's anything like as good as Returns it should rank among the best of superhero movies.

I agree with all of the above.

I love action movies, but I thought that Superman Returns worked magnificently even though the action wasn't the focus.  With Singer returning and the sequel being more action-packed, it could be even better.

< Message edited by justified by grace -- 18/3/2008 6:57:14 PM >

Megamind ****
The King’s Speech ****˝
Despicable Me ****˝
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole ***˝
A Serious Man ****
Lars and the Real Girl ***˝
Lourdes **
The Return ***˝
Doubt ***˝
Star Trek: Nemesis ****

(in reply to pughy)
Post #: 164
What supes can really do? - 19/3/2008 5:04:23 PM   
BondVsPredator

What do you mean you want to see what Supes can really do? In the last movie he lifted a CONTINENT MADE OF KRYPTONITE-LACED ROCK into blimmin' space! If that's not what he can do then what the hell is?! No need to push the envelope if you ask me...

Post #: 165
"Wrath of Khan" Sequel with ZOD one more time. - 20/3/2008 3:24:35 AM   
ASonic77

Bring back ZOD one more time so Singer can make his "Wrath of Khan" Sequel he's been talking about. How awesome would it be for Terrance Stamp to return. Then after the ZOD story, let's move on to new things. But Let's get ZOD one more time!!! Singer is the man, he knows what he's doing. Superman Returns was awesome. Light on the action, but he had to bring Superman back after all these years. Everybody flies these days (Neo- Matrix), so you have to dig deeper with the characters and have a deeper storyline. That's what Singer did. Now Superman is back and worked things out with his lady, Singer can now make Superman kick some ass.

Post #: 166
Great - 28/3/2008 3:05:17 PM   
simjamlmx

I like superman returns. i thought bryan singer did a great job on that movie and brandon routh is a great superman and got as close to christopher reeve's portrayal as clark kent that you can which i think was absolutely spot on. I am slightly worried about the son of superman thread singer introduced but i completely trust singer with this franchise. oh and give kate bosworth a chance she did a good job on that movie.

Post #: 167
WHY THE WORLD NEEDS SUPERMAN - 28/3/2008 10:51:48 PM   
boredbluekoala

My last word on this subject.........probably.As Christopher Reeve put it, He's a friend,everyone needs a friend.

Post #: 168
Fly again! - 2/4/2008 7:59:02 AM   
darren t

I cannot wait for a sequal. I think the first film had its flaws, maybe not enough super action, but taken as a whole it was a great film that made me believe a man can fly, again!. Brandon Routh was perfect and, although i thought no one could replace Christopher Reeve he proved me wrong. Bryan Singer did a brilliant job and i feel that returns should be taken as part 1 of a larger story, similar to the X MEN films. How about Superman fighting Zod in the second film but having it end on a cliffhanger with something indicating that an even greater threat is coming, Doomsday!

Post #: 169
RE: Fly again! - 2/6/2008 4:11:56 PM   
anakin solo

If it's going to feature jason in it again  i'm not watching it, and be about his relantionship with lois and it will be like the new adventures of superman all over again which is getting kinda tired now.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to darren t)
Post #: 170
RE: Superman Returns - 3/6/2008 1:47:24 PM   
Mr Underhill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

Absolutely brilliant news!

Superman Returns is right up there with Batman Begins as one of the best superhero flicks made (leaving aside any technical arguments about Batman being a superhero). It was a poignant, meditative film exploration of the character of Superman and his place in a modern world.

I've never understood the criticism that this film came in for from some quarters, is really is a titanically good film. I guess there wasn't enough explosions for some peoples taste and they actually had to concentrate on a story with characterisation for a change.

Amen brother

A sequel to Returns is more than welcome in my book, here's hoping they do end up calling it The Man Of Steel a la The Dark Knight

Edit: Though I do agree that "super kid" should be ignored or referred to in passing in the second movie, I, like I'm sure many others, do not want to see that kid flying around or wearing a damn outfit!

< Message edited by Mr Underhill -- 3/6/2008 2:08:55 PM >

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 171
RE: No pain? - 3/6/2008 2:06:30 PM   
Mr Underhill

A lot of people seem to be forgetting the fairly disturbing scene in Returns where Superman gets the shit kicked out of him, stabbed and then pushed off a cliff; no pain? Don't know about you but for me it was pretty chilling to see Supes get his comeuppance in such a way, and at the hands of Kumar no less

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to billyk06)
Post #: 172
RE: Superman Returns - 3/6/2008 2:10:46 PM   
blackduck

Really liked SR and can't wait for the next one. I actually liked the fact that he used his abilities for some argueably selfish and slightly creepy motivations (spying on Lois and the kid, etc) made him a bit more real and less of an annoying boy scout, never bought the idea that someone could have that much power and not get even a little corrupted. Only thing I didn't like was Lexs master plan it was a bit rubbish and if childhood memory serves, it was an idea done better in the action force comics with the Cobra Island story. Next one needs a conflict that can't be resolved by just lifting stuff.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Mr Underhill)
Post #: 173
RE: No pain? - 3/6/2008 2:17:17 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Underhill

A lot of people seem to be forgetting the fairly disturbing scene in Returns where Superman gets the shit kicked out of him, stabbed and then pushed off a cliff; no pain? Don't know about you but for me it was pretty chilling to see Supes get his comeuppance in such a way, and at the hands of Kumar no less

Actually thought this bit was so weak. Lex goes to all these lengths to get superman to this point and what does he do? He has two random thugs give him a bit of a kicking, stabs him once and lets him get away, and once Supes tops up his tan he's fine. The characters in SR were fine (actually even kinda like the kid) but Singer didn't seem to know what to do with Superman plot wise.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Mr Underhill)
Post #: 174
RE: Most Definitely - 3/6/2008 4:35:40 PM   
Mr Underhill

quote:

ORIGINAL: shaded_silver

Okay, so maybe in terms of action it didn't have as much as Spiderman 3 or Die Hard 4.0

http://xkcd.com/311/

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to shaded_silver)
Post #: 175
RE: No pain? - 3/6/2008 4:45:25 PM   
Mr Underhill

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Underhill

Actually thought this bit was so weak. Lex goes to all these lengths to get superman to this point and what does he do? He has two random thugs give him a bit of a kicking, stabs him once and lets him get away, and once Supes tops up his tan he's fine. The characters in SR were fine (actually even kinda like the kid) but Singer didn't seem to know what to do with Superman plot wise.

Fair point but I still find the sequence very effective and in fairness how was Luthor to know that Lois and co would be stupid enough to come back to try and rescue Supes? As far as Luthor knows he just had Supes beaten up, stabbed him with kryptonite and watched him fall to a watery grave, not a definitive ending but then super villains never seem to just shoot the hero, otherwise James Bond would be dead by now .
The bit that I find weak is that Lois or Jason were able to spot him in the choppy water, but then that's just a small flaw (and no movie is without its flaws) in an otherwise fantastic and enjoyable film IMO.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 176
WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO WATCH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 6/6/2009 11:32:10 PM   
mizzbarkz

I have just finished watching this film, yes it is 2009!!!!!
I was put off of watching it because I didnt believe it would be the same. However my son convinced me to get it, It was amazing im buzzing so is he!!! I came straight on line to find out if there would be a sequel and am chuffed to find there is. Understated movie based on expectations from watching superman as a kid.
This film dragged up the same old goosebumps at the duuhh duhh duhhh music lol amazing. Perfect return, the director was correct to use the amount of action he did, as we needed to grow to love superman again as he left us for so long :)
My son will be going to watch this sequel with me for sure

Post #: 177
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Just make it good Bryan Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI