Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 12/3/2008 12:02:27 PM   
Ben Myers

"We have to say, we actually enjoyed a huge amount about Superman Returns". Well you gave it five bloody stars, Empire! I'm sick of the jibes sent Return's way, it was a bold, ambitious attempt by Singer and a labour of love, and for Superman fans it was a joy. For those who have an attention span thaf wains if there's not an explosion every five minutes, well don't watch the film and stop slagging it off.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
RE: Too much studio and not enough location shooting! - 12/3/2008 12:11:23 PM   
pete_traynor

Well I think you’ve nailed it! Attacking the GC backdrops, C’mon you can do better than that. There was no part of that interpretation of Metropolis that came over as unconvincing. The way that film was lensed through genesis cameras was absolutely gorgeous! Shooting in Manhatten didn’t stop 75% of the Spiderman films looking like Playstation 1 game. You want to vent frustrations about shoddy GC environments, take them there! Bradshaw cameo though, mmmm. Not as bad as Macy Grey I suppose!

Post #: 92
- 12/3/2008 12:42:07 PM   
philip_81

I watched Superman Returns again the other night and frankly I think it is superb!! I enjoyed every minute of it and really can't see why people didn't get it. Bring on part 2.....

Post #: 93
- 12/3/2008 12:56:53 PM   
steveg66

And about bloody time too!

Post #: 94
- 12/3/2008 1:02:26 PM   
betsy101

I thought Bryan Singer's movie was spot on, I loved and still continue to love it. Keep it in the same vein Bryan you got so much of it right, don't let the naysayers deter you!!

Post #: 95
RE: Nostalgia and the plane sequence - 12/3/2008 1:12:59 PM   
Makman

Although I enjoyed Superman Returns, there were some flaws in the film. The mis-casting of Kate Bosworth is one example (they should of done screen tests of actresses with Routh). Too many scenes & dialogue were simply copied straight from the 1st Superman film. Singer made Superman to be dumber than Lois Lane...
Also, re-watching the film on DVD - I notice the film is 10 times better if the beginning simply started with Clark arriving back at the Daily Planet !!!

< Message edited by Makman -- 12/3/2008 1:17:41 PM >

Post #: 96
Hooray. Great news at last!!! - 12/3/2008 1:15:34 PM   
NeObiWan

I am so glad to hear that the development has begun.

I know there are people that were dissapointed by Returns, but like others I loved every minute of it!!!

It had such a strong set-up for a new series of Supes movies and I'm glad to hear that this is finally getting under way.

Obviously i'll be a lot happier when the cameras start rolling and the first set images start trickling out but until then this is a great start to things.

And to be fair whilst $400 Million isn't great for the amount it cost to make, I wouldn't call Returns box office an under performance. Not in the Golden Compass sence of the word at any rate.

Hopefully they have an eye to get this in theaters by summer 2010 at the latest... I for one cannot wait.

Post #: 97
Don't Do It.... - 12/3/2008 1:18:18 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Superman Returns was a large chunk of CRAPTONITE. That said he might take on board some of the criticisms of the first movie and actually make a Superhero flick with some semblance of excitement.

I'd rather see someone else get a shot at it - he had his chance

(in reply to betsy101)
Post #: 98
RE: Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel - 12/3/2008 1:20:23 PM   
Mason Verger

"The first one was a romantic film and a nostalgic film, he says. "I'll be the first person to own up to that without making any apologies for it. I knew it was going to be that from the outset. And now that the characters are established, there's really an opportunity to up the threat levels...Clearly there'll be a body count [laughs]. From frame one, it will be unrelenting terror! All those teenage girls who found the movie and mooned over James Marsden or Brandon? Well, I'm going to wake them up! He may be joking about the unrelenting terror.

Singer is using the same trick that a lot of Superman Returns apologists do by using spin and the same old tired cliches (too long, too little action, etc) to explain why it was a lot less popular than it should have been. The main reason that so many people disliked it was because it was a very poorly made film. SR wasn't nostalgic; it was plagiarist with barely a single original idea of its own. 

"And now that the characters are established..." You establish characters in the first part of the story: SR was a sequel.

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 12/3/2008 1:22:06 PM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 99
Superman - 12/3/2008 1:20:34 PM   
ilikechicken

I really enjoyed superman returns, although i do agree that bosworth was maybe not the best option to play lois lane (too pretty by comparison to her predecessor). I wonder what singer could do with nuclearman.......

Post #: 100
about fucking time - 12/3/2008 1:27:27 PM   
dave_0989

I have the 13 disc superman set and say that me and my brother ahrad guy to please came out of superman returns with a massive smile on our face and couldn't stop talking about it for days after the fim, we loved the story and the characters and i think replacing the story for acion is a badidea but if singer's on board i'll shut up. finally just to say i can't wait and as long as everyone!!!!!! comes back (brandon routh) i'll be more than happy to spend 2 hours and pay for my admission ticket

Rock on singer you da man !!!!!!!

Post #: 101
New trend in Hollywood... - 12/3/2008 1:28:26 PM   
Burglarman

is it just me or is this the new trend in Hollywood: trying to sneak in love stories into blockbusters? The Hulk and Spiderman are cases in point. I felt neither hit the mark I expected, though both grossed well. They've now promised more focus on action for The Incredible Hulk, haven't they?

Post #: 102
RE: Superman - 12/3/2008 1:29:47 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The most damning thing is the plot - scientists tell Superman that Krypton might have survived so he shoots off into space to have a look???  Isn't the destruction of Krypton the most fundamental set in stone part of the whole bloody story?

What an utterly weak plot device

(in reply to ilikechicken)
Post #: 103
- 12/3/2008 1:37:11 PM   
The Moog

Please Mr Singer no more Reeve is still spinning after the last film. If you must then try and make a film with some excitement, plot, charm and humour - in essence all the things that made the first 3 great. Returns took itself far too seriously - much like the X men films.

Post #: 104
RE: Superman - 12/3/2008 1:37:33 PM   
hawkeye10

I think the reigns need to be given to different creatives. The writers of Transformers...WTF?!?

Singer might, just might, be able to command a good budget for the sequel, but overall, this needs a proper reboot and not be a blowjob to Donner.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 105
Are you crazy Empire! - 12/3/2008 1:39:42 PM   
douglasmain

If they really 'cared' about the characters Superman wouldn't have had a child would he? Will Superboy be in the sequel? Hell, why not introduce Krypto the Superdog as well. Madness.

Post #: 106
Yay! - 12/3/2008 1:54:06 PM   
lizzygilly

Ok, I loved Superman Returns at the time. I still love the characters now (except Kate as Lois - that was horribly cast. She's like 25 now and supposed to have a 5 year old boy and a Pulitzer?), but the longer I had to think about it the story was lacking. Lex was a poor choice of villains. Superman is virtually indestructible to human foes, he needs another superpower to battle. As long as Brian doesn't make another movie where kryptonite is the thing that almost brings Superman down, I'll be happy. And let's leave Lex on the island with Kitty to rot.

Post #: 107
sweet a sequel!!!!! - 12/3/2008 2:36:13 PM   
mohanicus

look superman returns was,nt all bad.
im a hugh fan of the originals.except for superman 4.
jesus christ what a pile of shite.
anyhoo thought brandon routh was a good choice kinda a younger chris reeves.
need more action in the next part.
so come on bryan singer you did an amazing job with x-men 1+2.
lets see superman kick ass in this one.

Post #: 108
Superman RETURNS!!! - 12/3/2008 3:14:04 PM   
Arooney

Superman Returns is everything it could have been. Bryan Singer couldn’t have done a better job. The people who have critised the movie (and still are) are only doing so because of the “lack of action” in the movie. Viewers were expecting to see an action packed extravaganza (Spiderman, Transformers), but instead saw a movie which in my eyes, has all the elements a superhero movie needs; director, cast, humour, ACTION, drama, romance and a superb story. I thought saving a plane from crashing, flying through a city saving anything from an earthquake and lifting islands into space was enough action? What people are failing to realise is that there are 4 Superman movies already, so how does a director bring back the man of steel after the last 2 instalments could have killed off the franchise? This is where I think Singer has done superbly with Superman Returns. Having erased the last 2 movies from the vault, he decided to continue on from Richard Donner’s magnificent work of the first 2. Generations have gone by since the last movie, and quite frankly, just like in SR, people have forgotten or don’t know about Superman. The only form of Superman the new generation have seen is either from Lois & Clark Adventures, or Smallville! Singer has delivered a movie to new (and old) audiences, and has established a character that people were forgetting. His movie is a re-introduction of Superman, making the audience understand the characters, and their history with each other from previous movies. A similar movie, which didn’t get criticised at all, was Batman Begins. Both movies “lack action”, as both are more about the characters, and about how they deal and balance their personal life with their alter ego. Singer & Nolan have both made 2 movies which establish the characters, and set a foundation for future sequels, which can only be better (Dark Knight… already looking amazing). Singer is hopefully back for the s

Post #: 109
RE: Superman RETURNS!!! - 12/3/2008 3:20:22 PM   
lisamoorish

We just don't criticise it for a lack of action. We criticise it becuase it is BORING. As someone else mentioned, there are stretches of X2 without any action - but the film is NEVER boring. Singer balances things perfectly. In Superman Returns however he made a dull, morose movie where the hero is less heroic than James Marsden. You watch - if this sequel ever actually gets made things will go 'splodey right from the off. WB know that people were bored and annoyed during Returns.

Post #: 110
RE: people were bored - 12/3/2008 3:38:10 PM   
pete_traynor

In the words of a better man than all of us. “You cant trust people, people listen to Coldplay and voted for the Nazis.”

If you want matey boy from the High Life painted blue over Superman. Well, enjoy your Coldplay records!

Post #: 111
RE: What an utterly weak plot device - 12/3/2008 3:46:44 PM   
pete_traynor

The destruction of Krypton is not in dispute in Returns. They think they may have found large fragments of it. Mini Kryptons if you will. It’s explained in the opening text. The scenes showing Kal-El exploring the remains were cut. Which is a shame because if you look in the Art of SR it has all the concept art and the pieces floating around are huge. Granted, survivors would be bit slim but wouldn’t you want to be sure. Wouldn’t ya?

Post #: 112
Superman will return!!!!!!!!!! - 12/3/2008 3:49:52 PM   
Paulie

this is the best news i've had in a long time! i was really worried that we woudn't get a sequel. Trust me folks, Man of Steel will be just like X2. Hopefully the opening scene will just blow us all away. Empire, another 5 star superhero film is coming.

Post #: 113
RE: What an utterly weak plot device - 12/3/2008 3:50:21 PM   
pete_traynor

For fuck sake! you see it explode at the start of the film. IT'S THE FIRST THING YOU SEE!! Are you sure you even watched it?

Post #: 114
Lets see what he can do....Mr Singer that is. - 12/3/2008 3:57:30 PM   
The Keymaster

Yeah let him continue where he left off...I quite enjoyed Supes return....I did actually feel really sorry for Superman in an emotional sense.He was never ever gonna get the girl was he and never will Let him have a crack at a second movie....we know Singer can produce a good action flick so give him free reign and lets see what he produces.I'm all for it.

Post #: 115
RE: people were bored - 12/3/2008 4:53:58 PM   
lisamoorish

Pete, if we're using Coldplay as an analogy, then Superman Returns is the Coldplay of movies! Morose, boring, overly-sentimental guff! Pick your metaphors more carefully sir.

For the record, people don't criticise Batman Begins because it was entertaining (though for my money it goes off the rails a bit in the final act). Superman Returns is not entertaining - it is BORING. If you're talking abourt character work, what about Clark Kent? Total short shrift in the film. Just because a film has lots of scenes of characters talking doesn't mean it is doing deep or meaningful character work. Which Returns didn't.

Post #: 116
SUPERMAN RETURNS I HOPE LEX LUTHOR DOSENT - 12/3/2008 4:56:14 PM   
JONNYB.BADD

PLEASE BRYAN..NO MORE LEX LUTHOR!! LOOK AT ALL THE BAT-VILLIANS WE HAVE SEEN..2FACE , RIDDLER, PENGUIN ,CATBABE ,JOKER,SCARECROW, RA'S AL GHUL,MR. FREZZY,IVY , BANE.....AND ALL WEVE SEEN FROM THE SUPERMAN FILMS IS LEX LUTHOR , 3 KRYPTONIAN VILLIANS W/ LEX LUTHOR , A EVIL BUSINESSMAN , GUS GORMAN , NUCLEAR MAN W/ LEX LUTHOR..THEN LEX LUTHOR AGIAN IN SUPERMAN RETURNS...COME ON GUYS PLEASE THERE'S PLENTY OF VILLIANS IN THE SUPERMAN UNIVERSE...SUPERMAN HAS YET MEET HIS MATCH..GIVE HIM ANOTHER SUPERPOWER TO BATTLE LIKE..DOOMSDAY!!...DO YOU THINK SPIDERMAN WOULD HAVE BEEN SUCCESFULL IF ALL WE SEEN WAS THE GREEN GOBLIN?...LOOK BRYAN..WE ALL KNOW THE SUPERMAN STORY..COME ON MAN LETS GO!..ACTION SLAM BANG!! ..SURPRISE US BRYAN...LET THINGS GET SO OVERWHELMING FOR SUPES THAT HE CALLS FOR HELP LIKE..FLASHEROO !...IF IT WERE MY SEQUEL I'D HAVE 2 ADVENTURES IN ONE MOVIE SOMETHING LIKE THIS...REMEMBER THE OLD SUPERMAN CARTOON FROM THE 60'S WHERE A PETTY CRIMINAL GETS DOUSED W/ CHEMICALS THUS ENABLING HIM TO ABSORB THE STRENGTH FROM WHOM EVER HE TOUCHES..HE COMES INTO CONTACT W/ CLARK KENT AND REALIZES IT'S SUPERMAN IN DISGIUSE SO HE ABSORBS ENOUGH OF HIS STENGNTH AND POWERS THAT HE GOES A CRIME SPREE (GO WATCH THE CARTOON YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN) WHILE SUPES IS DEALING W/ THAT DOOMSDAY IS CAUSING CHAOS EVERYWHERE BUTS SUPES CAN'T CONFRONT THE DOOMSDAY MENACE TILL HE DEALS W/ THIS OTHER FOE FIRST.....SO LIKE I SAY BRYAN ACTION BABY WE WANT ACTION !!!

Post #: 117
- 12/3/2008 5:07:56 PM   
tpakzone

Empire!! I cant believe how u've overrated superman returns! You gave Batman Begins 4 stars and Supes 5! Batman was way betta, the story was superb, action was well balanced and the set pieces were spot on! wheras superman returns, Brian singer seemed to have lost the plot while shooting! the story was that which a 5year old would write in his version of superman! if singer really cared abt the characters he wouldnt have chose kate bosworth to play louis. and wats with the kid! a total balls up this movie, nuthin else. if there is a sequel, please dont giv it to mr singer. he has no respect for an honourable opportunity. go bak to usual suspects! stop doin super heroes.

Post #: 118
RE: people were bored - 12/3/2008 5:20:26 PM   
pete_traynor

Lisa. Superman by his very definition and history can been seen by certain, shall we say cynical types, as a sentimental ‘boring’ character. What with looking deep into the human condition, finding all that is credible about it and fighting to uphold those values and qualities. Truth, Justice all that stuff! Returns celebrates this aspect of the character and is probably the reason that it is construed by certain people as BORING. Today the antihero is championed more than the hero and Superman will always be the Boy Scout. The boring guy yeah?

As for Returns being a celluloid equivalent of Coldplay. That couldn’t be further from the truth now could it. Amazingly constructed, not afraid to NOT deliver exactly what its fan base knows, wants and feels safe with, full of heart and conviction, subversive (watch that plane scene again and tell me what you notice) and above all else NOT BORING! Coldplay and their cack output have none of the above qualities!

Post #: 119
jeffamania - 12/3/2008 5:23:23 PM   
jeffamania

Best news in a long long time!!!
Superman Returns is sooo much better than Batman.
I expect Superman Man of Steel to be even better!!!
Singer is the right man for the job....more of the same pls but with more action, new villians and some new female characters!!!! :)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI