Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

is everyone crazy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> is everyone crazy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
is everyone crazy - 12/3/2008 7:07:02 AM   
billyk06

first of all, i thought this film was awful from the story on. i can't bla,e singer on the story but the casting wasn't good. i thought the film had potential and to tell the truth i had tons of expectations which were not met and i hated the film. another sequel would be a mistake. Singer shouldn't direct comic book movies. Stay with usual suspects. by the way, i hated the xmen frnchise as well. horrible stories and and no action at all.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
In the word's of dude form Transformers... BRING IT!!! - 12/3/2008 9:01:18 AM   
Lamontash

I'm a huge fan of Superman! And I loved Returns! Yeah, Kate Bosworth was a bit crap but someone had to do it. DOOMSDAY. The only thing is, It'll cost loads, so I'm not sure if they'll go for him. Could bring Zod back, but don't want to get to Smallville. Whatever happens, we need to see pain, and I'm sure Singer will come through.
In fact Doomsday to kill Superman's son and then... Revenge!!!

Post #: 62
In the word's of dude form Transformers... BRING IT!!! - 12/3/2008 9:02:15 AM   
Lamontash

I'm a huge fan of Superman! And I loved Returns! Yeah, Kate Bosworth was a bit crap but someone had to do it. DOOMSDAY. The only thing is, It'll cost loads, so I'm not sure if they'll go for him. Could bring Zod back, but don't want to get to Smallville. Whatever happens, we need to see pain, and I'm sure Singer will come through.
In fact Doomsday to kill Superman's son and then... Revenge!!!

Post #: 63
Will He Return? - 12/3/2008 9:02:46 AM   
joanna likes films

To answer Empire's question up above, I say I don't know. A lot of people hated the first one and if there is a another on the way, it will be slated once again. But for my point of view, I thought it was a great movie with less action and more talking. If it's to be, so be it. I will see it and find out myself.

Post #: 64
RE: Will He Return? - 12/3/2008 9:08:22 AM   
livewire

Whilst i didn't particulary enjoy the superman return (truthfully i found it a bit boring in places and a few plot lines nearly boiled my blood) but i'd go see another one. I don't doubt singers enthusiasm for the character but seriously he needs to recast lois lane.

Let him do it. Whats the worst that can happen?

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 65
YES!! MORE SUPERMAN!! - 12/3/2008 9:11:37 AM   
Wil Trainor

Brainiac!! Doomsday!! Metallo!! Yes bring Superman back!!Superman Returns was a good film, not what I'd hoped for but good anyway, it re-established the super world and its people and even though some of the casting wasnt great (Lois Lane just didnt work for me) Kevin Spacey and Brandon Routh were fantastic! So lets see Supes back and going against some of his really hard core rouges gallery, Brainiac, Bizzario, Metallo, Zod or even Doomsday, because lets face it the Death/Return of Superman storyline is crying out to be made, and it would no doubt be amazing in Singers hands! So yes bring on another Superman movie as there is a demand for the original and the best hero of all time!!!!!!!

Post #: 66
Looking forward to it - 12/3/2008 9:16:12 AM   
bruised_blood

I thought Superman Returns was an excellent film, I don't understand what all the complaining's about.

Post #: 67
Superman Returns was BORING - 12/3/2008 9:32:52 AM   
lisamoorish

That's why it turned people off. And Singer can talk about $400m all he likes, if it was such a roaring success why have WB been so cagey about a follow-up, and laid down guidelines to Singer in terms of more actions, a lower budget, etc? These are not things that a studio dictates to a director attempting to follow up a big smash success.

For me the biggest problems with the film were a) Superman never fights anyone - and in the one skirmish he does have he gets his arse kicked b) Kate Bosworth is horribly miscast c) Clark Kent is a non-event in the movie d) For a supposed sequel to Superman II, the entire premise of Returns goes against that film - the moral of which is that Superman accepts his responsibility to Earth and will never leave again e) The version of the costume they used looked awful. Maroon cape? Please.

Post #: 68
Oh yeah... - 12/3/2008 9:35:21 AM   
lisamoorish

and f) Superman as a deadbeat dad??! Horrifically misjudged (not owning up to Lois at the end of the movie makes him a deadbeat). The kid is now an albatross around the neck of Superman in movie continuity; and g) if Lois doesn't know who Superman is, but knows she had sex with him (even though the mindwipe in Superman II would negate this), that is seriously creepy.

Post #: 69
Re: - 12/3/2008 9:35:36 AM   
jemba

it's a shame nowadays that people have to have an action sequence every 5 minutes otherwise they think its boring.a film that focuses on the characters is now considered "awful". what a pity, people now need to be entertained like young children

Post #: 70
What's their problem? - 12/3/2008 9:41:11 AM   
Wraggsterino

To be honest I got so much more satisfaction from the nostalgia trip and story Superman Returns delivered than any other recent empty or vacuous comic book interpretation that's been spat onto screen. Action for the sake of action typically results in plotlines being stitched loosely to the tail-end of the CGI and ends up flapping in the gaseous omissions the resulting film lets off. X Men 3 sucked the proverbial ass; Pirates 2/3 sailed with three shits to the wind (not a spelling mistake); the less said about the travesty that was the CG in I Am legend, the better,

Post #: 71
I want this film more than I wanted Superman Returns. - 12/3/2008 9:43:27 AM   
Mad Dog Tannen

It's so important they make this sequel, because it's this one, not Returns, that ultimately decides whether we get an ongoing Superman series or not. I love Superman so much, and it would be a tragedy if it all ground to a halt for 20 years just because Singer dropped the ball on the first one.

Post #: 72
Will Brandon Routh Return? - 12/3/2008 9:54:34 AM   
Makman

With news that another actor will be playing Superman in JLA movie (plus Welling in Smallville)...does Warner Bros really expect viewers to accept 3 ACTORS playing Superman within a year gap??? Warner Bros. is MAD and I have one case example - Star Trek Nemesis (Poor Box Office returns!).

Also, I would like to see either Parasite, Brainiac or Doomsday as the 2nd villan.

Post #: 73
Original villain please (and recast Lois) - 12/3/2008 10:03:27 AM   
Skyjunky21

With Superman having been around for 70+ years, surely he must have a rogue's gallery that extends beyond Lex Luthor (and let's avoid the obvious Zod rehash) - I would be keen to see a sequel that gave the opportunity to showcase more of Supe's powers. I really enjoyed the first Singer movie, although I do feel Lois lane was poorly cast (good actress just not old/world wearly enough to convince).

Post #: 74
Man of Steel with lead in his boots! - 12/3/2008 10:04:10 AM   
XVII

If this film does go ahead Routh should play the caped one once again - he was the best thing of the entire movie. Even Spacey ( an actor who many admire) couldn't bring entertainment to an otherwise drap & boring Superman Returns.
I won't go to see Superman Returns Again (or whatever it will be called) but I'm sure that there are many who would like to see it being made.

Post #: 75
RE: is everyone crazy - 12/3/2008 10:05:18 AM   
lukeyboy

I liked Superman Returns alot. The nostalgia factor played a big part in that having grown up with the Christopher Reeves version of Superman and Returns paying homage to it in a real big way (you just can't beat that soundtrack!)!It was far from boring. But yeah, it was slightly light on the action (although the action it did have was awesome) and probably 20mins too long,...(it really think they should've ended when Supes fell out of the sky!)

But another sequel would be great as far as i'm concerned And Brainiac absolutely has to be the villain.....end of story! 

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to billyk06)
Post #: 76
Superman Returns again - 12/3/2008 10:08:31 AM   
rsh1978

Yes do it!!! Not the biggest Superman fan but loved Returns. Was made with a lot of love and care. Brandon was the like a mini Reeves which is a good thing of course. The only down side to it was the same as any other Superman film, people only know his main enemy Luthor. Maybe they should as everyone says chuck in Doomsday and play with the whols death of Superman storyline. Woked ever soslighlty well for the comic book. Oh and dump Bosworth she cant friggin act.

Post #: 77
This film is a must! - 12/3/2008 10:10:14 AM   
pete_traynor

For the Love of Christ Yes! Superman Returns was an absolutely fantastic film! And the fact that he will not apologise for giving it so much heart and asking the audience to use their brains and actually engage with one of the most important characters in popular culture instead of just assaulting us with big bangs just makes me respect Singer all the more. ‘Light on action’?!? Debatable to say the least!, With the plane rescue it delivered one of the most memorable, awe inspiring set pieces in decades. I would take a movie with one action scene like that over the headache inducing likes of Transformers any day. People really don’t know they’re born! Bing Routh Back as he done us all proud!

Post #: 78
Re: Oh Yeah - 12/3/2008 10:12:05 AM   
Makman

Yes, I agree that it is creepy that Lois Lane knows she had a child with Superman (but does not remember how)...it basically suggests she was happy being shagged/raped by Superman and she doesn't even ask Superman for child support money (guess her lawyers did not know where the Fortress of Solitude was).

Post #: 79
Will give it a go - 12/3/2008 10:14:44 AM   
carri3ann3

I was one of the many that was bored by Superman Returns, for many of the reasons already mentioned (plus i didn't rate Routh).  Igave it another couple of watches in case i was being unfair and i don't think i was.  Apart from Kevin Spacey and teh wonderful Parker Posey it did nothing for me.

That being said i am actually looking forward to a sequel, hopefully it will go the way of X Men II and blow me away.  X-men II was the first comic book/superhero movie to actually excite me and i have high hopes that SR2 may do the same.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 80
RE: Re: - 12/3/2008 10:20:22 AM   
jimoakley666

I agree with you 100%

I thought Superman Returns was a wonderful film and think the ammount of 'action' was just right. Each of them scenes was a very iconic scene too. The saving of the plane and a chain cannon's worth of bullets bouncing off of his chest and one off the eyeball. Come on. Fantastic.

The idiots and children out there are listened to too much by these pathetic studio suits. Fuck off and let Singer do his thing.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to jemba)
Post #: 81
He's Got To Work On The Characters - 12/3/2008 10:22:02 AM   
albumental

Got to admit I found Returns deathly dull in the main. Saw it at the Imax first time round and was bored stoopid. Have tried to give it a couple of chances since with no improvement. I'm not the kind of cinema goer that needs wham bam every 2 seconds (It's going to take me a long time to get over the haunting brilliance that was "There Will Be Blood") but if I'm going to see something which majors on characterisation then those characters need to be compelling, not caricatures. In my opinion Singer turned Lois Lane from a strong, funny but flawed go-getter who was a bit tactless (via Margot Kidder), into a cold hearted bitch. Hell he even managed to make Superman unlikeable (even though I think Routh put in a good turn). Supes just came across as a smug glory seeker, lapping up adoration whenever he got the chance.

Not the Superman I want to hang out with!

Post #: 82
SUPERMAN LIVES - 12/3/2008 10:23:34 AM   
boredbluekoala

Don't change a thing Mr Singer, keep the cast, the costumes and the style, make another great sequel like X2.

Post #: 83
FLASHMAN - 12/3/2008 10:25:30 AM   
Frank Comiskey

It was technically staggering, & hugely clever, Brandon Routh was first class and I liked the fact that Metropolis wasn't just New York, but there was a heavy all-pervading sadness and a lack of joy; for that matter, Kevin Spacey is a magnificent actor, but I found his take on Luthor very dry and mannered.

Hackman was hilarious, but layered under that was sinister menace and depth.

In the aftermath of 9/11, most films have reflected these sad uncertain times; why doesn't Superman, of all characters, portray an optimistic universe?

In short, weighty drama can be addressed in a feather-light way; see The Truman Show or, week-after-week, Boston Legal on tv...........sadly, I can't name very many others..................

Post #: 84
There definitely has to be a sequel. - 12/3/2008 10:31:43 AM   
Carrzy

Brandon Routh and Bryan Singer did a good job with Superman Returns, but as you say, it was very bland. It lacked the action that it needed.

There was not a single fist-fight in the first one (other than at the end with the kryptonite, yes) but now we need a really BIG fist fight.

I say we have to have more of a link the DC Universe more as well. Give it more mention of other characters as Marvel are doing with The Incredibly Hulk and Iron Man.

Merely mentioning Gotham City in a newsreport doesn't cut it with me!

And get rid of that annoying little kid. I hated him. He was the main reason why Superman Returns didn't do as well as it should. Everyone hated that kid.

Post #: 85
RE: Nostalgia and the plane sequence - 12/3/2008 10:41:35 AM   
lisamoorish

Yes, the plane sequence was very good, and exciting. This was 10 minutes out of a 2.5 hour movie. Not enough! The rest was dull as dishwater. I am not advocating action for action's sake, X3 style, but the leaden narrative and poor choices (again, the kid, leaving Earth, etc) severely undermined the film.

As for nostalgia - this was something people ENJOYED?!? A *bit* of nostalgia is fine, but Singer seriously screwed the pooch by just attempting to recreate Donner's Superman. The film is reverential to the point where you realise Singer has nothing new to say about the character at all (except make him look like a deadbeat dad creepy ex-boyfriend weirdo). When you watched the Donner film and saw Chris Reeve you thought "there's Superman". When you watched the Singer film you thought "there's a bloke who looks a bit like Chris Reeve". The nostalgia factor was massively overdone and went largely unenjoyed by the kids that make up the majority of the audience for these blockbusters. They just found it confusing and/or boring. The way that Luthor was again betrayed by his moll... give me a break. Singer should have had the courage to do something new with the character - he could still have used the theme (brilliant music) and winked back at Donner, but as it turned out he was basically remaking him. Wasted opportunity.

< Message edited by lisamoorish -- 12/3/2008 10:44:54 AM >

Post #: 86
- 12/3/2008 11:09:00 AM   
deenmacheen

YES!YES!YES! This is fantastic news! I'm grinning form ear to ear here. I was genuinely concerned that this film wasn't going to happen. Superman Returns was a little light on action by today's standards, so what? The sequel will deliver so much more, and it'll be an even richer experience because of the character focused slant of Returns. Best film new I've heard in ages. Great.

Post #: 87
RE: Nostalgia and the plane sequence - 12/3/2008 11:14:02 AM   
pete_traynor

I’m not sure that looking at it as recreating Donner is the right approach. The Richard Donner interpretation of Superman is seen by most to be the best there is and after the whole butchery of the original Superman 2 people wanted to see what happened next. Superman 3 and Quest for Peace are obviously abominations and don’t count. Singer approached Donner with his pitch and got his blessing to move forward with the project to eradicate 3 and 4 and continue that story line. Great Move! And in a day and age of Dark Takes and reinventions I think it represented strongly that Superman is the original and best and doesn’t have to adjust to the times. Regardless of what cynics or ‘bored kids’ think. Who cares about them anyway, leave that to the bean counters at WB. Batman Begins was probably the least kid friendly blockbuster of all time and again it was well light on Action, backlash?! Superman is a timeless figure who transcends current conditions. It might not have gone over with everyone but sometimes the mark of something truly special is that it polarizes people in such way as Returns has. Those who got it got it in a big way!

Post #: 88
Too much studio and not enough location shooting! - 12/3/2008 11:50:50 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

Please! What made the original Donner film so good was the use of real locations i.e. New York, to give weight and depth to the film. All the GGI backdrops in Returns helped make the film seem two dimensional. Hell, even be so blod as to shoot a scene or two with the use of actual people in the background instead of Extras. Imagine the real reaction of joy and suprise on people's faces as Brandon Routh came bolting out of a telephone booth in downtown Manhattan. You could even have the Sex and the City girls make a cameo, you know swooning as he strides past and takes off. Hell, I'll shoot the f*&kind thing if you want!

Post #: 89
Too much studio and not enough location shooting! - 12/3/2008 11:51:03 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

Please! What made the original Donner film so good was the use of real locations i.e. New York, to give weight and depth to the film. All the GGI backdrops in Returns helped make the film seem two dimensional. Hell, even be so bold as to shoot a scene or two with the use of actual people in the background instead of Extras. Imagine the real reaction of joy and suprise on people's faces as Brandon Routh came bolting out of a telephone booth in downtown Manhattan. You could even have the Sex and the City girls make a cameo, you know swooning as he strides past and takes off. Hell, I'll shoot the f*&kind thing if you want!

< Message edited by Cameron1975Williams -- 12/3/2008 11:53:00 AM >

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> is everyone crazy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI