Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel - 11/3/2008 6:15:21 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 11/3/2008 6:15:21 PM   
Hughezy

i LOVED Superman Returns, although it was a bad idea to make the action plot secondary to the love story. i mean, NO ONE wants a $250 million drama.

this sequel better not take too long to come out, i'm giving them until 2010 before i start to kick some ass.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 11/3/2008 6:17:54 PM   
pughy

i think a sequel would be great!
although i dont see what the problem was with the first one (superman returns i mean)
it was a little light on the action, but lets face it, the script was brilliant and the plot outstounding.
oh, and visually, one of the best films ever.

Post #: 3
- 11/3/2008 6:20:04 PM   
Biggus

This all sounds good to me.

Post #: 4
bring it on supes - 11/3/2008 6:27:43 PM   
billythekid

I cant wait to see the sequel to this..loved superman returns, thought brandon was absolutely brilliant as supes/kent and loved spacey as luthor.....please tell me they gonna b in the sequel..please oh god please tell me they gonna sign up for the sequel!!!!

Post #: 5
- 11/3/2008 6:32:36 PM   
clarkkent

i loved returns and think anyone who didn't like it needs to think really carefully before they decide to have children. The flick was a brilliant superman tale, the only downside for me was the super kid story. It just seemed a little wrong.

Can't wait for the sequel. The quicker DC stop trying to compete with Marvel and beat them to a team up movie and just concentrate on the characters in their own films.

Post #: 6
Just admit that you screwed it up Singer... - 11/3/2008 6:38:03 PM   
darth silas

Returns is one of the most boring films ever made.And thats coming from a big Superman fan..Singer is in denial that the film bored everyone to tears.Recast Lois lane at the very least!

< Message edited by darth silas -- 11/3/2008 8:31:50 PM >

Post #: 7
- 11/3/2008 6:38:40 PM   
Old_Pyrate

Superman Returns was reasonable, but would have been better if they hadn't just remade Superman I. The best parts were the surprises... villain crushed by flying piano for example. The worst part was Lois Lane. It was very lacklustre performance by Kate Bosworth. If you're outacted by your Smallville couterpart, then you're not right for the part.

Post #: 8
RE: - 11/3/2008 6:39:33 PM   
BatFan

Really glad to hear this. With JLA being made I didn't think there was any chance of a Superman Returns Sequel being made. Also with Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris departing as the writers, rumours are suggesting that Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman writers of Transformers and the upcoming Star Trek film are having talks with Warner Bros. about writing this.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to clarkkent)
Post #: 9
Just make it good Bryan - 11/3/2008 6:57:01 PM   
Taz69

Superman Returns was really a big letdown. Very dull colours most of the time, only the bright space shuttle rescue scenes were true to Richard Donner's films and the comics, the rest was grey or white and quite gkoomy which is suited Batman but not to Superman.
Spacey was great as Luthor so more of him please, Luthor really Supermans only memorable villain where Batman has countless of the little devil. If the sequel is any good then please can we have Doomsday and The Death of Superman storyline (with him staying dead this time).

Post #: 10
- 11/3/2008 7:00:10 PM   
KalEl101

rock on! thank you Singer! bring on MoS!

Post #: 11
- 11/3/2008 7:02:12 PM   
John Mulder Simpson

hell yeah i want more of Singer's Superman!!!!

he's such a fine, talented guy!!!! and superman Returns was reallly GOOD

Post #: 12
It deserves a second chance - 11/3/2008 7:08:04 PM   
mejaars

I think it would be great if this has a second chance, During the first film I continiously felt that it was going somewhere, but never got there. Actually a bit like X-men 1. It has potential but it never lives up to it. Cinematography was beautiful and Routh was terrific, so amp up the action, while still keeping some drama and yes, this could be great!

Post #: 13
was ok. not as good as i first thought - 11/3/2008 7:11:17 PM   
DeadCell79

it was alright from some points of view. but to be honest the only thing about Superman Returns that was worth watching was the sence with the plain,

Post #: 14
...yes Superman should return - again!... - 11/3/2008 7:28:25 PM   
IMac

Brandon Routh was an excellent Superman and Clark Kent so I definitely want him back...no offence to Kate Bosworth, but it was poor casting - sorry love, youre just not Louis Lane!...

...more action please Mr Director, as you now have Batman and Iron Man, contending with the Superman!!!...

...on a side note, with all of Superman's powers do you not feel, hypothetically, that he is a bit lazy not having solved World peace already?!...

Post #: 15
RE: was ok. not as good as i first thought - 11/3/2008 7:30:30 PM   
Mock Tudor

The man is clearly delusional.

All this apologist nonsense about the bad reaction being due to a lack of action. No, it was due to an absolutely abysmal script.
Adding a few bits of "cool" action won't help a bit. They should know. They already tried that with the bullet-to-the-eyeball stuff in SR.

Oh well. Be prepared for wall to wall hype about this in Empire for the next couple of years.

(in reply to DeadCell79)
Post #: 16
- 11/3/2008 7:30:34 PM   
JRPC

I'm sick of this! It's like Hulk all over again! Turns out there's a good reason we get inundated with mindless boring action flick every year - people won't stand for anything else. Superman was ace and the original Empire review was spot on. Every time a genre movie gets made with a little intelligence and daring it gets slammed for being "boring" or "action-lite". Well then fools, enjoy yourselves watching AVP, Resident Evil and all that similar tosh, you deserve it!

Post #: 17
- 11/3/2008 7:45:40 PM   
theonering

I LOVED SUPERMAN RETURNS ACTION OR NOT AND CANT WAIT FOR A SEQUAL.

Post #: 18
- 11/3/2008 7:46:15 PM  1 votes
JRPC

I'm sick of this! It's like Hulk all over again! Turns out there's a good reason we get inundated with mindless boring action flick every year - people won't stand for anything else. Superman was ace and the original Empire review was spot on. Every time a genre movie gets made with a little intelligence and daring it gets slammed for being "boring" or "action-lite". Well then fools, enjoy yourselves watching AVP, Resident Evil and all that similar tosh, you deserve it!

Post #: 19
RE: - 11/3/2008 7:49:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

If he intends to make the Wrath of Khan to Returns The Motion Picture then I'm all for it.

Superman is rooted in pulpy fun and when Singer tried to make it a little more serious it came accross as pompus. Let Superman soar as a hero and not be limited to being a peeping tom.

Also - recast Lois Lane and give her a personailty this time.  

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to JRPC)
Post #: 20
No such thing as a good superman movie - 11/3/2008 8:01:37 PM   
conconman

Superman was was crap, superman 2 was crap, 3 and 4 were crap, superman didn't need to return it needed to be reinvented. Lex luthor was terrible and has yet to be portrayed as anyone who could be a threat to superman. Routh was good but you cant help but feel that his Clark Kent should be pissed off with everyone as he didn't seem to be missed by anyone in the movie. Boring movie, boring script, boring superhero. Singer left Xmen 3 to rot because of this movie and for that he can never be forgiven

Post #: 21
RE: No such thing as a good superman movie - 11/3/2008 8:03:53 PM   
Tech_Noir

Lemme guess, they'll be using John Williams' theme every five minutes again.

(in reply to conconman)
Post #: 22
RE: - 11/3/2008 8:10:42 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRPC

A lot of people said the worst thing about SR was the rubbish script, though.
As for "a genre movie gets made with a little intelligence and daring", when was the last time someone dissed 2001 for being "action-lite"?

As for SR2, hopefully it'll be an X-Men / X-Men 2 style affair - all of the setup dealt with in the first one, and more focus on a strong story this time.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to JRPC)
Post #: 23
I'm a fan. - 11/3/2008 8:23:00 PM   
u_nick

I know I'm one of the few, but I am a HUGE fan of Superman, and a huge fan of Returns. AND a fan of Bryan as well, so I couldnt be more ahppy with this news.

Thanks for not being turned of by the naysayers Mr Singer! :D

Post #: 24
- 11/3/2008 8:26:09 PM   
OPtimusPrIMEruLES

he should make it like superman 2. which is my favourite of the series. and i dont know why people didnt like superman returns i thought it was great and brandon routh made a great supes and clark kent

Post #: 25
Super Singer Man!! - 11/3/2008 8:29:14 PM   
Arjunthejedi

LOL, i can't believe it, a sequel, i knew he would step up again, well done Bryan!! And also thank you for the A in my Media Exam!! watching the previous film helped me alot, and i got a A for it!!

Post #: 26
Good news - 11/3/2008 8:46:29 PM   
Noelg25

I loved Superman Returns...I didnt think Kate Bosworth made that good of an impression on me playing Lois Lane...but Brandon Routh was brilliant as Superman/Clark Kent. Yes the film was more about the story but it was still brilliantly done. I really hope the sequel will have tons more action cos thats what we really need...after all thats what Superman is all about: ACTION. :)

Post #: 27
- 11/3/2008 8:48:22 PM   
mrblonde4972

Does anyone else feel sorry for poor Singer. He clearly put all his heart (and equal amount of talent) into Superman Returns and its being slated as a flop just because it doesn't fill the aparent "quota" of action a superhero movie needs. Singer always stated that Returns was going to be nostalgic, it was going to be a emotional nod to the original first two. And anyway, I love comic book adapted films and I thought there was just the right amount of action. So you people who want action over character development, leave the cinema and go rent out one of the XXX films. I'm sure that will satisfy your cravings for mindless garbage before you go cold turkey! Singer, you make the sequel however you see fit.

Post #: 28
Superman Returns - 11/3/2008 9:12:40 PM   
Filmfan 2

Absolutely brilliant news!

Superman Returns is right up there with Batman Begins as one of the best superhero flicks made (leaving aside any technical arguments about Batman being a superhero). It was a poignant, meditative film exploration of the character of Superman and his place in a modern world.

I've never understood the criticism that this film came in for from some quarters, is really is a titanically good film. I guess there wasn't enough explosions for some peoples taste and they actually had to concentrate on a story with characterisation for a change.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 11/3/2008 9:13:40 PM >

Post #: 29
- 11/3/2008 9:14:32 PM   
Filmfan 2

Absolutely brilliant news!

{i]Superman Returns is right up there with Batman Begins as one of the best superhero flicks made (leaving aside any technical arguments about Batman being a superhero). It was a poignant, meditative film exploration of the character of Superman and his place in a modern world.

I've never understood the criticism that this film came in for from some quarters, is really is a titanically good film. I guess there wasn't enough explosions for some peoples taste and they actually had to concentrate on a story with characterisation for a change.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI