Post #: 2
- 5/3/2008 4:30:13 AM   
nc_jj

It is kind of great

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
A Bag of Arse - 7/3/2008 5:44:06 PM   
ruritanian

Only beaten by 'The Tudors'. A high-calibre cast absolutely wasted by anodyne dialogue and an audience beaten over the head with the 'Idiot's Guide to Tudor Social Structure'. That's 2 hours I'll never see again....sigh!

Post #: 4
Historical Inaccurate - 8/3/2008 5:41:11 PM   
Starscream

Scarlet Johansson and Natalie Portman were excellent as the Boleyn sisters while Eric Bana (could have dyed his hair red) was just plain poor and didn't seem very comfortable with the role but maybe that is just the way he is as he was the same in Hulk. Its very entertaining but inaccurate in historical detail.

6/10

< Message edited by Starscream -- 8/3/2008 5:47:21 PM >

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to ruritanian)
Post #: 5
- 8/3/2008 6:02:17 PM   
mk269

I enjoyed parts of it and other parts not so much. I agree that Eric Bana looked out of place, however is that simply because we stereotype Henry VIII to be...more evil?

Post #: 6
RE: - 11/3/2008 9:13:13 AM   
Empitomezzo

Saw it last week, and whilst I liked bits of it, and thought that technically it was quite good, Portman and Johansson's performances just made me want to laugh.

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to mk269)
Post #: 7
RE: The Other Boleyn Girl - 11/3/2008 10:16:47 AM   
Timon

I was expecting a bodice ripping historical yarn and as someone who studied this period throughout university....I wasn't expecting historical accuracy. And I didn't get it. I did expect an engaging tale though but the whole thing just felt rushed and dumbed down.

The whole break with Rome, Catholic/Protestant clashes were completely passed over which wouldn't be a big problem except that Anne's action directly contributed to this. And the Boleyn family were avid Protestants.

I thought Portman and Johanson were perfectly good in their roles and Eric Bana did fine with fine with what little he had, but the whole thing just seemed like a mad dash to the finish line with no meat or depth on the proceedings.

If anything, I thought The Tudors dealt with the story much better even if it is generally regarded as idle titalation, than drama.

Overall though, a decent film but one that didn't engage as well as it should.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 8
- 11/3/2008 3:44:50 PM   
Taggart

I agree that it moves at a ridiculously fast pace, and that certain depth of issues aren't given adequate focus, but it is a brilliantly made film with towering performances by every single actor involved - especially Natalie Portman, who managed to make an overly ambitious and devious character likeable and vulnerable. Empire's reviews have been really off lately.

Post #: 9
RE: - 12/3/2008 9:40:53 AM   
jemba

i haven't read the book yet so i can't really compare but i have to say this film is only just wacthable. characters weren't developed enough, the break from the church which i thought was a pretty big deal happened in about 3minutes, and every now and then portman's accent kept coming back. from the opening credits you can tell that the director primarily directs for television. so overall- it's alright, nothing special, don't run out and see it

Post #: 10
by the way.... - 12/3/2008 9:41:46 AM   
jemba

surely we should be reviewing the film instead of the review???

Post #: 11
one to aviod... - 12/3/2008 2:49:38 PM   
jennifer1981

I had to resist the urge to leave the cinema after about half and hour and it was a real struggle to make it to the end. This will disappoint people looking for a faithful adaptation of the book, people looking for an accurate historical drama and it will also disappoint those just looking for an enjoyable film. The film was ridiculously swift (glossing over major events and key historical figures) and at some parts it didn’t even make sense. Are we really supposed to believe that the English Reformation was entirely engineered at the Boleyn’s dinner table? I went not expecting it be historically accurate and to begin with I thought that the inaccuracies wouldn’t bother me, but the mistakes were so glaringly obvious that I became irritated with the blatant lack of research - it even annoyed me that Bana’s hair was brown not red.

Post #: 12
Not Too Bad. - 13/3/2008 5:40:19 PM   
joanna likes films

The Other Boleyn Girl has a lot of shocks that has shaken many people, three of the top stars were either American and Austraillian. But the film isn't so bad, apart from one person: Scarlett Johansson was annoying and those lips were crusty and too big for her face shape. The only people who were good in it was Natalie Portman who played bitchy Anne really well and Eric Bana as the charsmtic but nasty Henry the eighth. Beautiful costmues, backstabbing and wonderful landscapes, I give this film three stars.

Post #: 13
the other bolyen girl - 29/3/2008 6:20:15 PM   
nicci

A very dissapointing adaptation of a book to screen tale. It skipped the narrative aspect form Mary's point of view and focussed purley on Anne. It also painted a softer side of some of the stronger characters in the book such as george Bolyen and William carey. Could say a lot more but can't be bothered to give the film the time of day. I'm afraid the book id far superior to anything on the screen

Post #: 14
Daft - 2/4/2008 10:31:33 AM   
Agamemnon1

The Other Boleyn Girl

Speaking as a History graduate, the perversion of historical events by Hollywood has never bothered me. I’ve always understood that film is about entertainment: if you want facts, read a book. However, Justin Chadwick’s version of Philippa Gregory’s novel fails to convince even as a fantasy. The all too familiar story of King Henry VIII’s love affair with the doomed Anne Boleyn starts promisingly but quickly descends into silly (even ridiculous) melodrama.

But then the movie is not so much about Anne Boleyn as about her forgotten sister, or so the title would have us believe. As it happens, the “other” Boleyn girl (a dull, pouting Scarlett Johansson) is completely upstaged by the famous Anne, played with icy intensity by Natalie Portman.

At the beginning we are introduced to a pair of loving sisters, daughters of impoverished country gentleman Sir Thomas Boleyn (Mark Rylance). Hearing of the King’s strained relationship with Catherine of Aragon and knowing that he will soon be in search of a mistress, Sir Thomas persuades his daughters to try and woo the monarch in the hope that it will radically alter the family’s fortunes. Unfortunately, all he succeeds in doing is sparking a deadly rivalry that ends in tragedy.

Though it’s premise is an interesting one, The Other Boleyn Girl is hampered by some questionable performances. Portman is accomplished enough, but her transformation from vulnerable innocent to ruthless machiavel halfway through fails to convince, while Johansson is boring as the goody-goody Mary Boleyn. Eric Bana, too, seems slightly miscast in a role in which he has little to do but scowl and occasionally bemoan that he has no sons.

The climactic drama in the second half of the film seems rushed as Anne Boleyn begins to captivate and bewitch the hapless Tudor. The ramifications of their affair are hurried like a badly revised GCSE syllabus. Get a divorce Henry. Bu

Post #: 15
handsome costumes - 15/4/2008 10:15:18 AM   
Malpertuis

A degenerate court, the spirit of the times which compels young women to behave in nasty ways, ghastly family feuds, bastards, burning ambition, and lots more besides: a whole range of interesting subjects lay to hand, but disappointingly little has been done with them. The historical material is thin. The storyline, much too like a crude soap, is too schematic to keep you glued to the screen. The sex scenes reveal the weakness of this costume drama: it could have done with more spice. Thankfully, the direction is solid, the costumes and sets are handsome, and the bosoms are voluptuous. The confrontations between Johansson and Portman are gripping, without overdoing it. Johansson, in particular, shows herself to be among the best actresses of her generation.

Post #: 16
Boleyn boring - 3/7/2008 12:18:02 AM   
lynnshep

Okay but not great. Good acting, but very historically inaccurate--more a soap opera than a real study of the effects of power, love, and jealousy on family relationships which it could have been.

Post #: 17
Where's the history? - 31/10/2008 8:28:58 PM   
TheMovieNess

This is the story of Mary and Anne, the two Boleyn sisters who are presented to King Henry to become his mistresses (one after the other). Obviously, they start fighting over the king. Anne finally succeeds in seducing him to marry her. In order to do this he first needs to break with the Pope, set up the Church of England and then divorce his wife.

This is a fascinating story (although I’ve read that it is very inaccurate) with two beautiful lead actresses (Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson) and gorgeous costumes, but something’s lacking in the film. The characters are not very complex, Anne is very headstrong, Mary weak and Henry easily manipulated. It seems like the king had nothing to do other than entertain his mistresses, the affairs of politics are only mentioned on the side. It was still entertaining to watch.

TheMovieNess.com

Post #: 18
Natalie Portman is a star - 2/2/2009 5:34:51 PM   
MariannaBelle

Yes, the script was questionable and there wasn't much historical accuracy but the performances were good enough fo rme to feel sad at the end when they died. Natalie Portman shows the desperation of a truly vicious character and a certain vulnerability that we would not expect. I cried at the end but maybe that was because it was 1am! Poor George, he was innocent.

Post #: 19
Avoid at all costs - 17/2/2009 9:00:18 PM   
Romarth

A film devoid of tone, direction, or originality, The Other Boleyn Girl should be avoided; avoided like the plague.

Post #: 20
Powerhouse acting makes this film worth watching - 7/4/2010 10:22:10 PM   
djphilips

The Other Boleyn Girl does have its mishaps, but the captivating performances by Portman, Johansson and Bana manage to surpass them and make this film worth your while.
Peter Morgan definitely could have done a better job with the writing, as The Other Boleyn Girl does at times feel like it's going through the motions. Moreover, such writing called for a more experienced director than Chadwick, who was unfortunate enough to be given a script so difficult to work with for his very first film. But the film's three main actors manage to turn this film into one of the most enjoyable period films I have ever seen. It is because of this Herculean feat that I give this film a well-deserved four stars.

Post #: 21
The Other Boleyn Girl: Surprisingly Enjoyable. - 26/5/2010 1:01:36 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

Not a film that I would have ever considered watching but as a media student you have to be opened minded. I thought the film overall was quite good. Not brilliant acting or sets but good. Although we cannot be perfectly accurate this is as close as it gets. For a BBC Film it was well made and well cast. Bit boring having Keira Knightly as the main role though.

< Message edited by LUCASLITTLEWOOD -- 13/6/2010 10:56:20 PM >

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Other Boleyn Girl Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI