Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Margot At The Wedding - 3/3/2008 8:16:01 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Hmmm - 3/3/2008 8:16:01 PM   
RJNeb2

This is a strange one, indeed. Parts of it are quite funny and the characters are sketched well but it's a film that's almost impossible to warm to. Obviously most of the attention is focussed on Nicole Kidman, playing an absolute monster. She plays her well and it's a part that totally suits Kidman's icy demeanour. I was more taken with Jennifer Jason Leigh as her sister, a warmer, more elemental but just as fucked-up version of the same person. Jack Black is, well, Jack Black. The film has a very meandering tone to it and has been compared to the works of Eric Rohmer. Now I don't for a minute think that many multiplex goers are terribly familiar with the oeuvre of said French director, so to them, this just comes across as a plotless, wobbly camera account of a dysfunctional family coming together, not doing too much, not being terribly funny about it and generally being horrible to each other. Oh, and one gets to shit in her pants. Putting it all like that, makes you wonder why anyone would go see it at all!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Hmmm - 5/3/2008 8:59:32 AM   
Lightfoot

From the writer/director of The Squid and the Whale, a thoroughly enjoyable film. Margot is also about fragmenting, dysfunctional families, but is a whole lot nastier and a lot less enjoyable. It start Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Jason Leigh as two thirtysomething sisters. Leigh is marrying an unemployed manic depressive deadbeat (a subdued and thus enjoyable Jack Black) while Kidman is a New York writer about to divorce her husband and resentful of her pubescent, somewhat androgynous son.

It's funny and bleak, two qualities I like in my films, but just gets too much after a while. You can only listen to two barmy middle-aged bints screaming their frustrations at each other for so long before you tire. It meanders, refuses to climax, suddenly someone chases after a bus and bang, end film.

3.5/5

(in reply to RJNeb2)
Post #: 3
RE: Hmmm - 7/3/2008 8:29:52 PM   
mackey

Loved 'The Squid and the Whale' so was looking forward to this one.  Thought is was good, much darker than the previous film, quite a layer of nastiness running through it which made it a bit of an endurance test for me but overall a very well made film.  Definitely worth watching. 

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 4
Dull - 23/8/2008 1:08:55 PM   
Caster

I thought Squid was overrated but this is plain bad. You know everything you need to know in the first scene where the son screams in frustration on the train. Margot is a bitch and kids end up as weird as their parents. There, I just saved you 90 mins of glum family squabbling.

Post #: 5
Margot At The Wedding - 9/11/2008 5:14:22 PM   
Indio

Thought all the performances were good (Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jack Black in particular), its just a shame the script doesn't amount to much, too many plotlines just end up going nowhere (the neighbours, Margots husband, and her relationship with Dick).

I think Baumbach really needs to find a different scene to explore outside the NYC literary circle in future.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to RJNeb2)
Post #: 6
Some people don't get this movie - 17/7/2010 2:57:45 AM   
monkeyhumour

Michael Phillips did from the Chicago tribune and so did Luke Goodsell from empire

And some who write in on the IMDB. I understood it, a great feel-bad comedy that makes me feel good on the inside, well done!

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Margot At The Wedding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI