Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Terminator - it's official

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Terminator - it's official Page: <<   < prev  26 27 28 [29] 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Terminator - it's official - 21/5/2009 9:13:27 PM   
Sphinx

You know, it would have been more effective if they brought Kyle in the sequel or the end, introducing himself and then it ends! BTW I can't for the life of me remember Yelchin, what's he been in?

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to BlackJackBauer)
Post #: 841
RE: Terminator - it's official - 21/5/2009 9:59:22 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlackJackBauer

One thing I'm sure I will find out when I see the film but still has me curious, is exactly what time line this film follows, is it following the events of all three or is it ignoring aspects of 2 and 3? Or is it a direct sequal?

I think it's a sequel to Terminator 3.

* Judgement day happened around 2003
* We have kate Conner
* The first Terminators from T3 in this
* Ex employee from cyberdyne working in Project Angel

Post #: 842
RE: Terminator - it's official - 21/5/2009 11:44:51 PM   
BlackJackBauer

Yeah I was thinking it was a continuation of T3, there just seems to be a large emphasis on the original Terminator. Well it is a sequal/prequal!!

Another thing maybe SPOILERS..........................when did john conner find out that Kyle Reese was his dad? Please tell me I didnt miss this nugget in T2 a film I've seen a million times!!

< Message edited by BlackJackBauer -- 21/5/2009 11:46:30 PM >

Ray when someone asks you if you are a god you say YES!

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 843
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 1:59:07 AM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Anyone who isnt looking forward to an Arnie cameo in T4 is..

a)Not a Terminator fan

b)Not an Arnie fan

Well I am both A and B and I really couldn't give a shit about Arnie being in the film or not. he's by far the easiest thing to lose. The orignal film was never meant as a star vehicle for him, although it did become one. The second and third were and suffered as a result. T2 is still a brilliant film but is essentially a remake of the first the only thing that T3 has going for it is the ending.

So you are therefore C) Talking Shit

No change there then.
So you say T2 ''suffered'' but yet you call it ''brilliant''.I think you are the one talking shit mate.

Having T2 and T3 without Arnie was unthinkable.Both are excellent sci-fi action adventure movies.The first movie is still my fav but i still enjoy the sequels(less said about the awful Sarah Connor chronicles the better).

These days i actually prefer T3 over T2.Its faster paced,has a better actor playing John Connor,doesnt have the villain disappear from the plot for 40 mins,and has a better ending.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 844
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 8:14:34 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

So you say T2 ''suffered'' but yet you call it ''brilliant''.I think you are the one talking shit mate.

T2 suffered because it was a star vehicle for Arnie - effectively remaking the first film (pretty much all the same beats are there) only this time because of his star status he's the good guy. It's a brilliant film because it's brilliantly made by Cameron who wouldn't have made anything else. But it's ultimately about its star rather than its characters, pretty much the opposite of the first film. The third was more of the same with even more diminishing returns. Only the bold ending saves it from utter pointlessness.

quote:

Having T2 and T3 without Arnie was unthinkable.Both are excellent sci-fi action adventure movies.The first movie is still my fav but i still enjoy the sequels(less said about the awful Sarah Connor chronicles the better).

The whole point of The Terminator was that one of those machines could look like anybobdy - blend in to normal society - infiltrate it. Something that even in the first film Arnie never really achieved. I can't help but think the film may have been even better if Lance Henrikson had got the role. The thing about the Sarah Connor Chronicles is that it clearly understood this idea. The cyborgs in the series did exactly that - they infiltrated society. All Arnie did was shoot the shit out of everything. It expanded on the original idea in a way the sequels - choosing simply to riff on the same formula each time - never even tried.

McG's film at least will be a break from that formula, but it should be a clean one, there really is no need at all for Arnie to be in it.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 845
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 9:17:19 AM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlackJackBauer

Yeah I was thinking it was a continuation of T3, there just seems to be a large emphasis on the original Terminator. Well it is a sequal/prequal!!

Another thing maybe SPOILERS..........................when did john conner find out that Kyle Reese was his dad? Please tell me I didnt miss this nugget in T2 a film I've seen a million times!!

before the events of Terminator 2. There is a T2 scene of John talking to the T800 how his mum fed him the Skynet stuff and later she being locked up. This happens when they meet up with Sarah's mexican friends however this could be in the extended edition.

Post #: 846
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 10:14:28 AM   
losthighway

MOVED FROM REVIEW THREAD...

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

@losthighway

John Connor has grown up. Judgement day has happened. He has met his "Teenage Father" because he IS older than him. Remember that Kyle was in the first film because he travelled back in time and knocked up Connor's mom.

Terminator Salvation is set before John Connor has sent Kyle back in time. That's why he's only a teenager. This film occurs after the events of T1 but before John Conner sends the grown up Kyle back in time.

Anyways... I'm happy that the film got a 4 star review because i hope it's good. However, Empire do have a habit of hyping a film up so much that they feel obliged to give it a high score. Remember Hulk - 4 stars. Hell, they gave the Phantom Menance & Spiderman 3 both 3 stars (they were definitely deserving of 2 stars).

I hope that this is a legitimate review because I desperately want the film to be good - but the 35%  on Rotten Tomatoes is worrying

That makes absolutely no sense... how can Salvation be after the events of T1 but before Connor sends Kyle back to 1984? John Connor shouldn't exist in 2018 if Kyle has yet to go back in time, because he's not been created yet!!

Now i'm really confused!!!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 847
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 10:24:53 AM   
Timon

It's a pre-destinational paradox.

Future: JC is leader of resistance. Sends back trusted warrior/soldier Kyle Reese to protect his mum in 1984. Kyle fathers John. John grows up to be resistance leader. Meets Kyle. Sends him back etc etc. It's a loop. It's meant to happen.

JC ONLY exists because a Terminator was sent back.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 848
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 11:04:45 AM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

T2 suffered because it was a star vehicle for Arnie - effectively remaking the first film (pretty much all the same beats are there) only this time because of his star status he's the good guy. It's a brilliant film because it's brilliantly made by Cameron who wouldn't have made anything else. But it's ultimately about its star rather than its characters, pretty much the opposite of the first film. The third was more of the same with even more diminishing returns. Only the bold ending saves it from utter pointlessness.

quote:

The whole point of The Terminator was that one of those machines could look like anybobdy - blend in to normal society - infiltrate it. Something that even in the first film Arnie never really achieved. I can't help but think the film may have been even better if Lance Henrikson had got the role. The thing about the Sarah Connor Chronicles is that it clearly understood this idea. The cyborgs in the series did exactly that - they infiltrated society. All Arnie did was shoot the shit out of everything. It expanded on the original idea in a way the sequels - choosing simply to riff on the same formula each time - never even tried.

McG's film at least will be a break from that formula, but it should be a clean one, there really is no need at all for Arnie to be in it.

So if Arnies image appears in the movie for 5 seconds the film will be ruined for you?

Now i havnt seen the film yet obviously,but if there is an action sequence in a Terminator building factory,there is bound to be a few Arnie models in there.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 849
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 11:28:34 AM   
Timon

But the whole idea of an 'Arnie model' is silly as they're Infiltrators and there's no reason you'd have more than one of the same model, otherwise the humans will rumble you pretty quickly.

Anyway, I feel I'm saying the same thing over and over again.

Scruffy, you were bang on with your post.

And an Arnie cameo won't ruin the film... it's just unnescessary.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 850
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 11:38:29 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

So if Arnies image appears in the movie for 5 seconds the film will be ruined for you?

No it won't, as I noted in my first post I really couldn't care less if he's in it or not. That doesn't make me any less of a fan, of him or the franchise.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 851
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 7:35:17 PM   
Ghidorah

I been thinking about Terminator 6. it would be great if John Conner doing the best he can to prevent at least two Terminators being sent back in time. if he fails then he would have to send Kyle back in time and that would mean sending him to his death.

1. If he fails then he would have to send Kyle back. It would be an emotional ending.

or

2. They did it. They destroyed Skynet before it could send some Terminators back in time. So would John send Kyle back in time to be with Sarah? Also would John travel back in time and make sure Skynet would never exist by blowing up Cyberdyn in the 80's?

Post #: 852
RE: Terminator - it's official - 22/5/2009 9:51:27 PM   
ky

Interesting. But since TSCC had so much time travelling, I'm hoping these films stay well away from it. Don't see how anyone could get excited by yet another character going back to the past to stop Judgement Day - that's been done ad nauseum. I'm more interested in an exploration of the future world.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 853
RE: Terminator - it's official - 1/6/2009 10:21:28 AM   
morg1138

Well I just got my tickets for Wednesday night.  Still looking forward to it.  Watched Terminator over the weekend and will try and squeeze the other two before seeing Salvation.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 854
RE: Terminator - it's official - 9/6/2009 3:59:13 PM   
shool

I really enjoyed it. Enjoyable blockbuster with some great action sequences.
Marcus Wright was a great character and Yelchin was excellent as Kyle Reese.

4/5

I dont get where are the negative reviews come from to be honest.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 855
RE: Terminator - it's official - 9/6/2009 4:15:31 PM   
CORLEONE

Totally agree shool. Some of the reviews have been so scathing, it's like it's worse than Freddy Got Fingered!! Seems expectations were set too high, it was never gonna be a classic. But i thought it was good, and hope it makes enough to allow them to finish the story, which at the moment, looks unlikely.

The longer cut should be a cracker.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 856
RE: Terminator - it's official - 9/6/2009 4:56:23 PM   
Chrisseh

Here here. really good action sequences. Worthington and Yelchin were great.

Bales connor was well acted, just felt like it really didn't need to be there. The story they had was a focus on Marcus, and they should of just sticked to it being orientated around him. I know thats not what the fan boys wanted, most people wanted a Connor centric film. I say give it time, we can still have one of those, if the story is good.

3.5/5

A good way to end an email, is to just stop mid sentence. It makes you look mysterious and people will always

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 857
RE: Terminator - it's official - 9/6/2009 6:23:09 PM   
Marwood

Well if the rumours are true (see Aint It Cool News) then a 5th film will involve a time travelling John Connor turning up in London, 2011 so it will be the really Connor centric film people wanted (I guess). I've read time travel will be a device for the potential 5th film and like the idea of setting the story outside of America for once but am also afraid that McG being the heavy handed numpty he is will fill it with the usual stereotypes who will be played by non-British actors doing their best cockerny or plummy accents - which will probably make Don Cheadle's Basher sound good.

As far as a 5th film goes I'm all for it even though I didn't really like TS - mostly that was because of an at times appalling script. There's still potential to make another great Terminator film and McG did a good enough job so that I'm confident the same team could learn from TS's mistakes - hire better writers and I think we're off to a good start.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Chrisseh)
Post #: 858
RE: Terminator - it's official - 10/6/2009 3:16:48 PM   
HIM

Posted this in the review thread but it'll probably get lost so I'll repost here too:

Is this a continuation of the timeline established in The Terminator? i.e. will John still send back Kyle in 11 years or have the events of past movies and this one changed what Kyle told Sarah back in 1984? The reason I ask is that Kyle made no mention of the Marcus Wright Terminator at all. Also, he says:

"The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human... sweat, bad breath, everything."

The new ones are of course the Arnie ones, but as Salvation takes place in 2018 and Kyle is sent back in 2029 why does he refer to them as 'new' when they've been around for 11 years?

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 859
RE: Terminator - it's official - 10/6/2009 3:26:21 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM
Is this a continuation of the timeline established in The Terminator? i.e. will John still send back Kyle in 11 years or have the events of past movies and this one changed what Kyle told Sarah back in 1984? The reason I ask is that Kyle made no mention of the Marcus Wright Terminator at all. Also, he says:

"The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human... sweat, bad breath, everything."

The new ones are of course the Arnie ones, but as Salvation takes place in 2018 and Kyle is sent back in 2029 why does he refer to them as 'new' when they've been around for 11 years?

The end of T2 (when they blew up Cyberdyne) created a new timeline (the one of T3 and T-S). Skynet still gets built but by a different company and as a military project which would speed up the developement of the Terminators (the first models already exist in 2003).

So the future Kyle Reese remembers in T1 is different now.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 860
RE: Terminator - it's official - 10/6/2009 6:49:58 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Posted this in the review thread but it'll probably get lost so I'll repost here too:

There is a chance skynet cyborgs has travel back in time and pass on the knowledge to a younger skynet.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 861
RE: Terminator - it's official - 10/6/2009 10:41:41 PM   
Tech_Noir

One of the lamest things in T3 was Arnie explaining how Judgement Day was delayed. Something just felt tacky about that. The series should have stuck with the preset future idea of the original, all this alternate future stuff is fine for Back to The Future but doesn't work for Terminator.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 862
Terminator franchise - past and future - 2/1/2012 4:10:10 PM   
Emyr Thy King

No it wasn't tacky and ultimately it made sense. Otherwise you'd have ended up with Judgement Day not happening in August, 1997 and therefore the 'preset future idea' wouldn't make sense. I like the idea that the timeline is fluid. I go with explanation that the T-X uploaded key data to Skynet as soon as it went online in 2004 to give Skynet a headstart. Which would explain how it knew about Kyle Reese and also how it managed the accelerated development of the T-800 Model 101, 11 years ahead of schedule.

I think McG's explanation of the 'plotholes' doesn't make sense:

Q: In the earlier movies, Skynet is not aware of Kyle Reese. So, why are they aware of him now? McG: It's a function of their recon during the dark period, and a function of their awareness of the events that had happened since Kyle Reese traveled back. By virtue of John Connor being alive, that means Kyle Reese did meet Sarah Connor and impregnate her. That data exists, and was brought into the fold at Skynet.

Screenrant (click)

There were some nice ideas in Terminator: Salvation. One such as Marcus Wright being a prototype human/terminator hybrid was a good idea and made sense. If you consider Skynet's ambition to make the ultimate infiltrator. Where I would've changed things is either a) make reference to the T-X having uploaded intelligence to Skynet (making a direct link to T3) or b) have John Connor accidentally stumble upon Kyle Reese after rescuing him from a concentration camp and also ditch the 'kill list' idea. The film's frustrating because it wasn't beyond salvation and with a few alterations to the script and a change of director would've been a far more competent and worthy entry into the Terminator franchise.
One issue people had with the film was the Resistance's use of heavy arms and logistics such as A-10 tankbusters and V-22 Osprey transports. You have to remember the Resistance at this juncture is comprised of remnants from Earth's former armed forces. There are still functional bases, there is still heavy equipment available and the military logistical network is at least semi-functional. Seeing as we have another 11 years to go until the future war as seen in 2029. That's enough time for the 'game to change' in terms of weaponry, warfare and even technology. It looks more asymmetrical warfare judging from the first two/three films but then if the Resistance is to win and smash Skynet's defence grid. You'd need more than pickup trucks with RPGs .

If they are to at least finish the franchise. I'd at least like them to do two more films, tying up the plotlines in 2029 and 2032 respectively.

Notice to mods
: Change the thread title to "Terminator franchise: past and future" or something similar. It'll save someone having to create a new thread and miss the discussion points in this thread.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 2/1/2012 4:15:07 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 863
RE: Terminator franchise - past and future - 3/1/2012 2:56:39 PM   
Marwood

I thought from reports the intention was to essentially ignore Salvation now that the rights have changed hands again; Justin Lin certainly indicated that when he was developing a T5 and 6 (before dropping out to doing Fast 6 and 7).

I'm in agreement that Salvation was a decent entry in the series that had a few obvious flaws that were felt but not fatal and wouldn't mind seeing more films following the same chronology with Bale as Connor. Salvation actually felt pretty self contained anyway and while open ended it didn't have a cliffhanger or obvious threads dangling so it would be easy IMO for new films to act as sequels but go off in different directions and be mindful of the problems Salvation has.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 864
RE: Terminator franchise - past and future - 3/1/2012 4:23:57 PM   
Woger

Wasn't there an idea floating around along the lines of multiple time travel entries in the same film; some thing a bit like Source Code I suppose where when one assassination attempt failed another terminator would turn up. Then I think there was one where future technology was going to be taken back.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 865
RE: Terminator franchise - past and future - 3/1/2012 5:36:14 PM   
jobloffski

To reiterate my favourite ideas for the next two films (ie mine)...

Skynet uses time-travel in the first instance, not as used in the first film, but as a purely logical war tactic. No need to hunt the rebels down, and no need for reconnaissance of any kind, if you can simply wait for them to mount an attack, let them complete it, then send back the required number of terminators to be ready to meet the particular assault team.

Start the film with an emphatically victorious assault on a skynet facility. Cut back to rebels on the way to the attack again. Before they arrive at the site, blue spheres appear, one a time, then two at a time, etc, until the rebeld arrive, to be totally outgunned, and clinically massacred. Perhaps cover the time jump by making the image de-resolve and become a translucent blue that fades to reveal the beginning of a repeat of the latter stage of the journey to the battlezone, the visual transition foreshadowing the arrival of the similarly coloured spheres.

This creates serious paranoia for the rebels. Whatever they do, whatever they plan, skynet are always ready. We know why, Once over coms he has heard reference to a blue sphere appearing from nowhere John Connor knows why. His wife knows why. But the already doubting Connor's leadership rebel forces cannot be simply told it's time travel because they would think Connor is insane.

Connor has to suffer the increasing burden of his role, allowing massacres to continue, doing his best to alter tactics and defend his right to lead the resistance from dissatisfied potental rivals, while trying to drop hints directly to Kyle Reese and through 'allowing him to overhear' conversations that lead him to the supposition that Skynet may be doing what it is, in fact doing. Being so young and all, he is naturally ridiculed for it, but eventually the evidence mounts up and becomes undeniable.

This makes Reese more of a hero, creates an increasing bond/friendship between Connor and Reese (thereby progressing the main story arc, especially if Connor also begins to tell Reece about Sarah) and makes the rebels change tactics, more small raids, not enough collateral damage to make Skynet bother to use the resources necessary to prevent the raids. The rebels chip away at skynet, and having no alternative, Skynet has to change it's tactics too, developing infiltration unit Terminators to essentially 'roam the plains' and find the hidey holes the rebels use to mount their raids/their main bases, John Connor being the priority target, all other humans equal second priority.

The landscape of the story thus shifted, the third film picks up the war of attrition at the point where the timeline between the situation and sending back Reese can be covered in a single film. The rebels are more aggressive in their assualts now, and Skynet vicious in its response (the scenario Reese describes in T1 is finally the scenario the films reach, to depict in all its messy, violent glory).The principle assault the rebels mount being the raid on the time installation that will be the one kyle is sent back in time from. Kyle is sent back in time. To close the loop and make Skynet useless (it essentially now believes killing Connor will achieve it;s victory and has no other goal/program), Connor allows his own termination by an Arnie model Terminator, that Kate then sets about reprogramming to send back for T3.

Connor sacrifices himself to save humanity, and to escape the weight of his destiny/guilt at all the people he has had to allow to die for the destiny he knows will be the result to come about.

Result: techno carnage to the level people always seem to have wanted to see, with the underlying darkness of a predestined fate Connor has to steer things towards creating the atmosphere such films would need.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 3/1/2012 5:58:24 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 866
RE: Terminator franchise - past and future - 3/1/2012 6:50:41 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

I thought from reports the intention was to essentially ignore Salvation now that the rights have changed hands again; Justin Lin certainly indicated that when he was developing a T5 and 6 (before dropping out to doing Fast 6 and 7).

I'm in agreement that Salvation was a decent entry in the series that had a few obvious flaws that were felt but not fatal and wouldn't mind seeing more films following the same chronology with Bale as Connor. Salvation actually felt pretty self contained anyway and while open ended it didn't have a cliffhanger or obvious threads dangling so it would be easy IMO for new films to act as sequels but go off in different directions and be mindful of the problems Salvation has.

Terminator Salvation is a decent action film, and the original plot was terrible. Weren't for Christan Bale complaining the plot had nothing to do with Cameron's originals, we would of got the perfect sequel to Terminator 3.
Despite the changes been made, Salvation is still not the film the fans wanted and need to be ignored like Terminator 3. Too much of the original outline remained and we never saw any futuristic war scenes except right at the beginning. I don't know why they filmed scene involving the old lady from the petrol station beating up a T600 with her stick? Where were soldiers attacking skynet forces in the scrap yard?

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 867
RE: Terminator franchise - past and future - 4/1/2012 9:27:23 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

quote:

Terminator Salvation is a decent action film, and the original plot was terrible. Weren't for Christan Bale complaining the plot had nothing to do with Cameron's originals, we would of got the perfect sequel to Terminator 3.
Despite the changes been made, Salvation is still not the film the fans wanted and need to be ignored like Terminator 3. Too much of the original outline remained and we never saw any futuristic war scenes except right at the beginning. I don't know why they filmed scene involving the old lady from the petrol station beating up a T600 with her stick? Where were soldiers attacking skynet forces in the scrap yard?

If I'm honest I don't think there ever needed to be a sequel following T2 - I quite like T3 and Salvation but felt the story was complete with T2 and it's studio logic that has produced the sequels rather than a real creative need, it's telling that James Cameron hasn't been involved with the series since T2 after all. But that's Hollywood for you - sometimes you'll get sequels whether you want them or not.

The way I see it is that if further Terminator films have to be made then I just hope the filmmakers don't shit on the memory or legacy of the originals. T3 and Salvation are inferior but at least reasonably respectful to T2 (apart from essentially saying the events of T2 didn't really matter because Judgement Day is a destiny - bollocks) and I see them as good sci-fi action films...just not particularly good Terminator films.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 868
RE: Terminator franchise - past and future - 4/1/2012 11:09:37 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

quote:

If I'm honest I don't think there ever needed to be a sequel following T2 - I quite like T3 and Salvation but felt the story was complete with T2 and it's studio logic that has produced the sequels rather than a real creative need, it's telling that James Cameron hasn't been involved with the series since T2 after all. But that's Hollywood for you - sometimes you'll get sequels whether you want them or not.

The way I see it is that if further Terminator films have to be made then I just hope the filmmakers don't shit on the memory or legacy of the originals. T3 and Salvation are inferior but at least reasonably respectful to T2 (apart from essentially saying the events of T2 didn't really matter because Judgement Day is a destiny - bollocks) and I see them as good sci-fi action films...just not particularly good Terminator films.

Didn't I read somewhere that Cameron had bought the rights back to the series?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 869
RE: Terminator franchise - past and future - 4/1/2012 11:25:12 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Well the key mantra of the series is "there's no fate but what we make (for ourselves)". T3 doesn't really contradict the second film or 'shit on it' if you follow the line of thinking that at that point in time, Judgement Day was inevitable. The Connors came under the misapprehension that they had 'won'. Because Skynet had already come online possibly with the virus, it was too late. It spread through the internet and was essentially software. I thought that spin on it was brilliant because the premise of there being a 'system core' seemed a little archaic. Although admittedly later on, it will have a system core or location that houses its 'consciousness' so the Resistance can finally destroy it and end the war. Besides, the earlier films put forth the idea that John Connor has a 'destiny'.

I think if they don't bother with any more films, they can always carry on the series in animated form. It could give them more leeway in terms of characters. For instance the T-800/850 Arnie Terminator only needing to be voiced rather than be 'played' by an actor.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 28 [29] 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Terminator - it's official Page: <<   < prev  26 27 28 [29] 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI