Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:07:30 AM   
Woger

Oh dear.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_salvation/

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 751
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 7:33:22 AM   
morg1138

This one ( http://boxoffice.com/reviews/2009/05/terminator-salvation.php ) is the best.  The backlash at the bottom is excellent.  I think this film might just have, like Watchmen, a love hate relationship going on with viewers.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 752
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 11:25:41 AM   
CORLEONE

If this gets 2 stars I will physically attack Empire.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 753
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 11:47:30 AM   
Rgirvan44

Harry Knowles has been saying on Twitter that he hated the film. Devin at CHUD has said he liked it well enough.

Yet to see any really enthusastic reviews but I'm still looking forward to it - just hope there is a directors cut in the future as it seems like it was compromised. And just for folks info - Terminator 3 is sitting at 70% on the Rottontomatoes metre.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 754
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 11:56:10 AM   
Beno

Well i liked T3 so Salvation will be excellent .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 755
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 12:03:48 PM   
Timon

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Mr Knowles was fond of Angels & Demons... so I don't know what to believe....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 756
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 12:06:51 PM   
Tech_Noir

Kind of expected this, studio interference + PG13 rating.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 757
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 12:08:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Mr Knowles was fond of Angels & Demons... so I don't know what to believe....

Well according to his Twitter Knowles had McG round for his birthday and got given one of the Termintor heads built by Winston and used in the film. So I suppose his reaction is a bit of a surprise.

Just passing the note on, not judging the reviwers themselves. I did notice that a lot of the reviews were commenting on how girm it all was - if that is the major issue then I doubt it will affect me so much.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 758
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 12:24:54 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Terminator 3 is sitting at 70% on the Rottontomatoes metre.

Ooooo. It looks like some less than impressed reviewers have pitched in now. I know theres not many of them but still, shocking numbers:

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_salvation/

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 759
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 12:32:05 PM   
pete_traynor

It's off to a less than sterling start over at Metacritic too:

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/terminatorsalvation?q=terminator 

I would quite like to see some more positivity but I am not in the least bit shocked at these initial reactions. I am remaining as open minded about it as I can but come on McG! Are we at all surprised that he may have totally fluffed this? He is, after all, of the Ratner School of hackism!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 760
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:02:39 PM   
Timon

It'll be interesting to see why it's getting bad reviews? Is it because the darkness of the material post-Trek seems a bit grim for the summer? It's a bit one-note? Or that it's just not very good? Curious to see that Bale is being singled out for being a tad one note.

Indeed, it shall be very interesting to read the reviews for this film.

Personally I don't think the fact that it's a PG-13 has hampered the film at all, the certificate won't stop it from being a good or bad film, there are plenty of ways to showing a human holocaust without blood and guts.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 761
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:10:14 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Curious to see that Bale is being singled out for being a tad one note.

Fanboy favourite Bale would never get a negative response even if he were rubbish.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 762
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:12:32 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Personally I don't think the fact that it's a PG-13 has hampered the film at all, the certificate won't stop it from being a good or bad film, there are plenty of ways to showing a human holocaust without blood and guts.

With you there Timon. If its a good story well told a bit of extra blood and guts won't really have that much of an effect. As for being down on the film for being dark and grim, that's just crazy, did they not see the trailers, did they not understand essentially the Terminator story is a dark one?

I never really expected the film to be more than average, but it appears people had the knives out for the film for some time.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 763
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:29:52 PM   
Marwood

I don't know, I don't think anyone expected this to reach the heights of The Terminator or T2 but despite some of the negativity I'm really looking forward to this.
I guess that the grim tone will turn people off but this is a film about a race being hunted to extinction by an almost overwhelming foe so it wasn't going to be too light entertainment was it? Also not suprised that there are some cheesy moments either seeing as McG is behind this and it's a 12a/PG13 studio (potential) blockbuster. Sounds to be pretty much what I was expecting overall.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 764
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:33:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood
I guess that the grim tone will turn people off but this is a film about a race being hunted to extinction by an almost overwhelming foe so it wasn't going to be too light entertainment was it?

I don't understand why "grim tone" turns people off?

Tragedy sells!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 765
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:36:47 PM   
CORLEONE

I'm glad it's grim. It's supposed to be! Ever heard of a happy human apocalypse!?

Good point by Timon, critics riding on the fun wave of Star Trek, expecting something similar here.

It's war. A seemingly unwinnable war. And I for one, cannot bloody wait.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 766
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:39:35 PM   
Timon

Ah, but is it? We're just assuming that it will be like that.

There is always the chance it's just rubbish....!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 767
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 1:40:39 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Even if they do win the planet is still a nuclear wasteland.

This is why I bet any future Terminator movies will go back to the old formula of trying to stop judgement day.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 768
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 2:00:32 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Even if they do win the planet is still a nuclear wasteland.

This is why I bet any future Terminator movies will go back to the old formula of trying to stop judgement day.

But it's our nuclear wasteland!

Can't see them ever going back now. The future has finally landed.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 769
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 2:02:50 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

Ah, but is it? We're just assuming that it will be like that.

There is always the chance it's just rubbish....!

From the footage I've seen and the actors involved, I just can't see it being rubbish.

For a start, it's got terminators in it, which is worth 2 stars already

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 770
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 4:30:47 PM   
Marwood

By grim tone turning people off I meant the popcorn crowd who may be expecting something lighter....obviously they haven't seen the trailers, previous films or TV show if they're expecting a "fun, action adventure with robots". That'll be Transformers 2.

But I'm saying this having not seen the film yet so for all I know McG turns the grim off after 20 minutes and the rest resembles a Stephen Sommers joint. Oh god. Oh please god no. Nooooooo!

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 771
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 4:53:30 PM   
Mr Terrific

From the reviews I read, I got the impression, they were unhappy that Bale was'nt busting one-liners every so often. Or there were few laughs to be had.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 772
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 5:06:11 PM   
hatebox

The reviews seem to be along the lines of either 'it's a good movie with a few glaring faults' or 'it's a bad movie with some good things about it'.

Guess I'll have to make up my own mind, but after the decent trailer a while back it's a shame it wasn't more of a home run. Perhaps Bale should have followed his initial instincts and declined the movie.

Post #: 773
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 5:43:49 PM   
BlackJackBauer

It's good news if harry knowles didn't like the film, the man is a hack who lost all integrity when he was blowing episode 2 like a cheap whore.

I'm liking all this talk of TS Being a bit on the grim side. Mean how could the systimatic destruction of the human race be anything other than?

Ray when someone asks you if you are a god you say YES!

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 774
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 6:43:20 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

From the reviews I read, I got the impression, they were unhappy that Bale was'nt busting one-liners every so often. Or there were few laughs to be had.

The terminator only had one funny bit with the ice cream at the beginning. The funny bits in Terminator 2 was a boy teaching a machine how to fit in and that didn't go down to well. There are some other fun bits however the film is mostly bleak.

Some of the complainers saying the radiation levels were too high to live in. Yes in some areas but a lot of the areas, the level is going down and becoming livable again. it is explained in the book. There is some complaints about kyle and Star living by themselves. Well their community were slaughtered by 20 T600s and he was one of the lucky ones. The other thing Skynet spending a lot of it resources trying to kill the resistance and doesn't have enough spare to squash all the survivers.

Post #: 775
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 19/5/2009 11:49:09 PM   
BlackJackBauer

The only review I will look forward to is jim cameron's. Wonder what he will think of TS actualy anyone know what he thought of T3?

Ray when someone asks you if you are a god you say YES!

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 776
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 20/5/2009 12:13:55 PM   
pete_traynor

I don’t really think that a grim tone turns people off. The Dark knight was arguably the most depressing and grim blockbuster ever made and that left its cinematic run with the second largest box office haul in history. So people certainly weren’t turned off by that. I think the reason that this is getting less then glowing initial reactions could be that it’s an entry in a seriously diluted franchise, which is a shadow of it’s glorious former self, that has a shit director. And if the man at the helm of the whole thing is seriously lacking in talent, imagination and basic story telling skills (and on previous evidence this ‘director’ certainly ticks all those boxes) you have no hope from the off.

(in reply to BlackJackBauer)
Post #: 777
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 20/5/2009 12:17:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlackJackBauer

The only review I will look forward to is jim cameron's. Wonder what he will think of TS actualy anyone know what he thought of T3?

He said in an Empire interview that he liked it a lot more than he thought he would have. Considering his views on Alien 3 I don't think he would have held back if he thought it sucked.

Post #: 778
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 20/5/2009 12:18:12 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

When recently interviewed he said that the new one was shaping up to ‘not be an embarrassment’ so from having said that I think he sees the franchise as being in a pretty dire state post T3. Like the rest of us! Still, it did have a good, non compromising last 5 minutes so I wonder if he respected their decision to go through with that?

Post #: 779
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 20/5/2009 12:23:18 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

He said in an Empire interview that he liked it a lot more than he thought he would have. Considering his views on Alien 3 I don't think he would have held back if he thought it sucked.

I've always thought he might have been a bit kind regarding T3 as best pal Arnie was in it....

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI