Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 12:06:34 AM   
Dark Knight 84

With Christian Bale set to play John Connor this should hopefully be the film T3 wasnt, yes it was an entertaining film but it certainly didnt live up to T3 it was a bit too comical and cheesey, it was good to see Arnie in the role again however it cheapend the characters role in the previous two.

With Robert Patrick also rumoured to return and Bale signed up for a trilogy this could make amends for the let down of T3!

Thoughts??

"The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too. "
Post #: 1
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 12:12:57 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Ok well I'm actually following the flick progress and so far signs are good. I know a few spoilers which I will keep to myself but hands down it could be a great set of flicks. The idea is to have T4 be the future war and then in last two films introduce the whole time travel aspect (This is good because it may lead to the reintroduction of Sara or Kyle).

Here's one bit of insider info for ya, the new female lead is called Blair and is a pilot for the resistance. Thankfully it seems Kate Brewster will be brushed aside. Surely Michelle Rodriguez for Blair people?

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Dark Knight 84)
Post #: 2
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 12:19:38 AM   
Dark Knight 84

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Ok well I'm actually following the flick progress and so far signs are good. I know a few spoilers which I will keep to myself

Any information on the return of T100 actor Patrick??

"The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too. "

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 3
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 12:25:36 AM   
The REAL Bozz

No mate and I doubt it's gonna happen to be honest. How are ya for spoiler because I can give you info on the new machine but its a HUGE HUGE spoiler. U've been warned, if you want me to I'll PM ya the goss.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 4
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 12:32:03 AM   
Dark Knight 84

Go for it, either way its not goin to stop me from seeing this opening night! Cheers mate!

Michelle Rodriguez would be good for the whole bad ass Sarah Conner role to be carried on without the actual character but doesnt leave room for a good romantic tie to John Conner.

Post #: 5
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 12:37:38 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Yeah I reckon she would nail the role of Blair but they will prob cast some T and A flavour of the month. Grrr. I sent that pm.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 6
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 6:15:07 PM   
max314

It's being written by the blokes who wrote Catwoman and Terminator 3.

It's being directed by the guy who did Charlie's Angels.

What could possibly go wrong?

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Post #: 7
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 7:10:18 PM   
Dark Knight 84

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

It's being written by the blokes who wrote Catwoman and Terminator 3.

It's being directed by the guy who did Charlie's Angels.

What could possibly go wrong?

Do you think Bale would put his name to it if he didnt think it would be worth it? Its been a while since Charlies Angles so have faith in McG!

With the plot leaks ive heard so far the writers are looking on form aswell.

And with WB putting up a massive budget this should work.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 8
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 7:47:43 PM   
darth silas

Well i thought T3 was an excellent summer blockbuster and am disappointed that Nick stahl(the best screen John connor so far) and Clare danes wont be back.And of course,itl be weird to watch a Terminator movie without Arnie,but thats unavoidable for obvious reasons.

Should be better than that shite Sarah connor show anyway.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 9
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 9:47:36 PM   
Sutty

Don't think Bale is signed up for more than one movie, and I heard it is more of a cameo role. I have my reservations about this whole thing. And the title is a mouth full!
Still, you never know. Might be alright.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

Post #: 10
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 3/3/2008 10:05:02 PM   
Dark Knight 84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Don't think Bale is signed up for more than one movie, and I heard it is more of a cameo role. I have my reservations about this whole thing. And the title is a mouth full!
Still, you never know. Might be alright.

He wont be in the first one as much, the lead will be a character called Marcus he will be the leader of the resistance before Bale takes the reins. Some intresting plot lines for him by the sounds of things. Bale needs to be in at least the second if his role isnt lead in the first of the trilogy.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 11
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 4/3/2008 11:11:13 AM   
Seth_Gecko

Im not to sure about this i mean no arnie and its rare for a series of movies to get to 4 and still be good. I love the other 3 but i think they should of just leaved it well alone. But saying that i will proberbly watch it.

Post #: 12
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 7/3/2008 7:47:04 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight 84

Do you think Bale would put his name to it if he didnt think it would be worth it? Its been a while since Charlies Angles so have faith in McG!

With the plot leaks ive heard so far the writers are looking on form aswell.

And with WB putting up a massive budget this should work.

I wish I could share your enthusiasm.

I don't know how Bale picks his projects, but he has done some pretty mediocre stuff among his better films.  He's always given 110% in whatever film he does, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been the victim of shitty screenwriters (like the ones doing this film).  So I suspect that this will be one of the more mediocre Bale films.

Plot does not maketh the story.  You can take your character from point A to point B, but if you don't have writers who truly understand character and depth of emotion - in other words, writers who write for numbers, like the dudes writing this project - you end up with a vapid and worthless effects extravaganza.  And with the amount of money being thrown at it, I suspect that this film will be just that - empty spectacle.

McG's speciality.

MAX

Post #: 13
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 7/3/2008 7:54:03 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Well i thought T3 was an excellent summer blockbuster and am disappointed that Nick stahl(the best screen John connor so far) and Clare danes wont be back.And of course,itl be weird to watch a Terminator movie without Arnie,but thats unavoidable for obvious reasons.

Terminator 3 was poor, poor, poor.  Nothing happens in that film.  It's just a filler until the bombs drop.

Made-for-TV cinematography, mediocre music, weak script with weak story and weak characters...it's just a bunch of chase scenes and expositional scenes strung together while we wait for Judgement Day.  It was just so flat.

I've only seen the first four episodes of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and while it's not going to win any Emmy's, it's certainly a damn sight more engaging and inventive than the poo-flavoured porridge that was T3.

With the same writing 'talent' involved in the upcoming trilogy, I think we're going to be in for one hell of a shit fest.

But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

MAX

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 14
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 7/3/2008 8:54:00 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Terminator 3 was poor, poor, poor.  Nothing happens in that film.  It's just a filler until the bombs drop.

Made-for-TV cinematography, mediocre music, weak script with weak story and weak characters...it's just a bunch of chase scenes and expositional scenes strung together while we wait for Judgement Day.  It was just so flat.

I've only seen the first four episodes of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and while it's not going to win any Emmy's, it's certainly a damn sight more engaging and inventive than the poo-flavoured porridge that was T3.

With the same writing 'talent' involved in the upcoming trilogy, I think we're going to be in for one hell of a shit fest.

I agree....The TV series is entertaining if you take it with a pinch of salt. Its got alot more respect for the source material than T£ I mean T3 in my opinion.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 15
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 7/3/2008 9:58:37 PM   
Sphinx

Bale might save it and yet the film could be good and the score fucked up! T3 was crap for many reasons but one was they ruined the one of two thing that made it memorable..........the damn music!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 16
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 8/3/2008 12:03:26 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

Highly disagree.It was good to see Sarah connor not in that film as it had to show John connor being independant and facing up to his destiny.And NOTHING happens??? It had some of the best action not only of the trilogy but of that summer.The crane truck/fire engine/motorbike chase was incedible as were all the other action sequences.Arnie was in great shape considering his age and the film was fast moving all the way to the end.

One of the things i hate about the Sarah connor show is that it is gone back to tired bickering between Sarah and John.''i WANT TO GO OUT MOM!'',''NO YOU CANT JOHN ITS WAY PAST YOUR BEDTME!'' or something similar.

T3 is terrific fun and the best Arnie vehicle since,well,T2.Its hardly my favourite of the trilogy but for an hour and a half of solid action,t fits the bill.

NO ARNIE NO TERMINATOR!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 17
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 8/3/2008 2:07:07 PM   
Mr Terrific

Actually, I may have been a bit harsh on T3, as a standalone film its ok, moderately entertaining. The trouble is you have to compare it with the two previous films and that magnifies its flaws.

With the TV series alot can be forgiven simpily because its a TV series and has to have wider appeal. That said there are major plot-holes, but that does'nt stop me enjoying it.

I don't know what the approach will be in the forthcoming film, but if they stick to the source material in the first two films I don't think they can go far wrong.  The Future war bits especially in T1 are kind of disturbing in a way, when you first see them, hopefully they keep this approach.

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

Post #: 18
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 2:53:27 PM   
max314

quote:

Highly disagree.It was good to see Sarah connor not in that film as it had to show John connor being independant and facing up to his destiny.And NOTHING happens???

The beuty of a well drawn character arc is that you see the gradual evolution of a character from what he once was into what he must eventually become.

John Connor's character arc in Terminator 3 was anything but gradual.  He spends most of the film re-treading T2 territory (i.e. trying to stop Skynet from ever going online), only it's a lot more watered down.  The only time in the film in which John even comes close to confronting his destiny is when the smoke grenades are being thrown into the cemetery enclosure and Arnie pins him up against the wall to goad him into saying "fucking machine".  The rest of the movie has John running away from his future, with only one final moment at the end of the movie where he realises what he has to do.

And that's it?

One sudden flick of the switch and our character has suddenly changed?  It's like the ultimate deus ex machina of character arcs.

No, I stick to my initial contention.  Nothing happens in Terminator 3.

quote:

It had some of the best action not only of the trilogy but of that summer.The crane truck/fire engine/motorbike chase was incedible as were all the other action sequences.

That chase might have had some big bangs, but all you need is a big enough cheque and ILM will deliver you those bangs without a quibble.

Ultimately, that chase was rather unengaging and clichéd.  Nothing original, except perhaps seeing that truck flip over...which we saw in the trailer anyway.

quote:

Arnie was in great shape considering his age and the film was fast moving all the way to the end.

Well, it was his job.  So kudos to him for...doing his job.

quote:

One of the things i hate about the Sarah connor show is that it is gone back to tired bickering between Sarah and John.''i WANT TO GO OUT MOM!'',''NO YOU CANT JOHN ITS WAY PAST YOUR BEDTME!'' or something similar.

Well, if you want to put it into caricature, sure.

In actuality, it's got some intriguing central conflicts, and they've really played up the dramatic possibilities that this weird bickering family dynamic seems to provide.  It hasn't yet been taken to its full potential, but it's still better than watching the endless, soulless chase scenes in T3.

quote:

T3 is terrific fun and the best Arnie vehicle since,well,T2.Its hardly my favourite of the trilogy but for an hour and a half of solid action,t fits the bill.

Please.  Jingle All the Way was a more fun Arnie vehicle than Terminator 3.

quote:

NO ARNIE NO TERMINATOR!

But aren't you up for the next film?

MAX

Post #: 19
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 3:14:55 PM   
The REAL Bozz

That was another point of T3 I thought was redundant, when John was whineing in the crypt he lost any respect I had for him. He knew the score from T2! Also I know he thought Judgement Day was eradicated but yet when the film begin's he's all "I still live off the grid" so Im confused. He knows there's a chance it may still happen yet basically vomits on his mum's legacy by doing no preperation aka becoming a bad ass. If T3 had of shown him living a normal life, with a gal and a good job then I would have bought his "Woe is me", I'd understand it and feel bad for the guy. They never though so it was pointless. Now don't get me wrong I aint a T3 hater, but if we're all going to start nit picking here then I'll join in.

As for Kate Brewster, jesus if there was ever a case of "Shit, Linda Hamilton has said no" crisis rewrites then this is it.  She was rushed in, and the fact she will not be featured in the new films (The lead female for the new trilogy is a female resistance pilot called Blair) besides maybe a tidy cameo to killer her off comfirms her utter uselessness.

As for the show, I aint saying anyone has to watch it, but as a fan of the series I find it hard that people would be so against it. It stays more in tune with T1 and T2 and expands the universe. I don't agree with "No Arnie, No Terminiator). It wouldn't make sense to keep sending back the same model again and again and again.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 20
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 3:23:07 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

That was another point of T3 I thought was redundant, when John was whineing in the crypt he lost any respect I had for him. He knew the score from T2! Also I know he thought Judgement Day was eradicated but yet when the film begin's he's all "I still live off the grid" so Im confused. He knows there's a chance it may still happen yet basically vomits on his mum's legacy by doing no preperation aka becoming a bad ass. If T3 had of shown him living a normal life, with a gal and a good job then I would have bought his "Woe is me", I'd understand it and feel bad for the guy. They never though so it was pointless.

Excellent point.

If they had actually shown John more in line with being the successful family figure with a wife and child and booming career (à la the deleted coda of Terminator 2), his journey into rebel leadership would have been all the more poignant.  Have him lose his family or something.  Really grind him down.  Really rough him up and test his him to the end of his wits until he emerges as the new leader of a fallen human race.

By making him a bum at the beginning of T3, they made him a guy who had nothing to lose anyway.  So what's the point?

quote:

As for Kate Brewster, jesus if there was ever a case of "Shit, Linda Hamilton has said no" crisis rewrites then this is it.  She was rushed in, and the fact she will not be featured in the new films (The lead female for the new trilogy is a female resistance pilot called Blair) besides maybe a tidy cameo to killer her off comfirms her utter uselessness.

Yes, Kate was a sorely underwritten part.

quote:

As for the show, I aint saying anyone has to watch it, but as a fan of the series I find it hard that people would be so against it. It stays more in tune with T1 and T2 and expands the universe. I don't agree with "No Arnie, No Terminiator). It wouldn't make sense to keep sending back the same model again and again and again.

Yup and yup.

MAX

Post #: 21
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 3:41:42 PM   
The REAL Bozz

It's a decent action film, but anyway here are some other issues I have with it. Fuck it, I'll go all fanboy on it's ass! Lol.

"No fate but what we make ourselves" I couldnt stop laughing when in T3 it had become a case of, "We need a simple exscuse to carry on the franchise so actually no, your fate is laid out and there is nothing you can do"! Lol, what the hell? One of the first two films most important themes is just pissd all over right there. They could have come up with somthing better than that!

"You're children will be important, their children will be important" Well, now we have T4, T5 and T6 coming and I can tell you from the spoilers I've read from the sites such as Chud and Aintitcool, there are  no kiddie's riseing up in the future to play an important role in future events. It's all about a guy called Marcus, JC aint even the lead.So what was the point of that?

Also for continuity fan's, McG has said you can toss that right out the window. This will be a new begining ala Batman Begins. Hence the abscence of the number 4 in the title.

The TV show at least tip's it's hat to the events of T3, Sara's cancer is confronted and resolved by some clever writing. JC has a pair, Cameron is one of the more effective machines and the story absolves it's self of continuity conflicts with T3, T4, T5 and T6 by a great plot device used in the pilot which basically set's this series up as an alternate time line and give's the two fingers to "You can not change your fate". Even the fucking music is in the same vein as T1 and T2 as well as the urban settings. Like I say, I aint saying if you don't watch the show you aint a true fan or some crap like that, but just how can u not if you loved 1 and 2? I will defend it though, especially when people are calling it out when they aint even watched the fucking thing for more than one or two ep's. That's just denial! Lol

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 22
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 7:56:19 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

The TV show at least tip's it's hat to the events of T3, Sara's cancer is confronted and resolved by some clever writing. JC has a pair, Cameron is one of the more effective machines and the story absolves it's self of continuity conflicts with T3, T4, T5 and T6 by a great plot device used in the pilot which basically set's this series up as an alternate time line and give's the two fingers to "You can not change your fate". Even the fucking music is in the same vein as T1 and T2 as well as the urban settings. Like I say, I aint saying if you don't watch the show you aint a true fan or some crap like that, but just how can u not if you loved 1 and 2? I will defend it though, especially when people are calling it out when they aint even watched the fucking thing for more than one or two ep's. That's just denial! Lol

The above is true, even more so now that I have watched the whole of the first series. It does start off a little shakily, but by the end has  found its feet.
By the finale I realised, it had become its own beast, quite separate from the movies, but with major respect for the source material. Scenes like FBI swimming pool scene, get a major thumbs up from me.
I am also liking the Terminator evolution, which makes sense because its an infiltration machine. I hope the new movie pays attention to these new ideas.

Post #: 23
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 7:59:21 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Mr Terrific, does us a favour mate, I'm watching it on Virgin so please don't give nutten major away about the outcome bud. Cheers.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 24
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 9:03:11 PM   
Ghidorah

The only reason why Terminator 3 was made is to cashin on the success of the previous Terminators. T3 actually felt like a dumbdown clone of Terminator 2.

Every single thing in Terminator 3 is wrong and felt like it was written by a guy who never saw the previous films. JC being killed, JC is a baby, TX sucks, JC's children are important? Arnold Terminator is a joke etc. WTF. Keep it serious.

I do hope the new Terminator film ignore T3. In actual fact why didn't they jump into the prequels of Terminator 1 and 2 whuich is set in the future. They didn't have to start off a new skynet and future war and make the whole thing fucking impossible. Why didn't anyone say

'Guys. We know Terminator 1 and 2 was the final battle of man vs Skynet. At the end skynet is destroyed in our present and in the future. Why not make a few films about the futuristic battles that lead to skynet being destroyed and Reese going after the T800 and a t800 going after T1000?'

Post #: 25
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 11:48:54 PM   
darth silas

I dont get why people are complaining about the lack of the Terminator theme in T3.Its there! Well in the end credits anyway.

''No fate but what we make'' is a message John sent to his mom in 1984 through Reese.Interesting,but it was only his OPINION.It wasnt a law set in stone.I liked the fact that Skynet could not be stopped from starting the nuclear holocaust.As iv said before,if Miles dyson wasnt gonna build it,someone else would eventually.

The efforts of the Connors in T2 was NOT made pointless in T3.They postponed armageddon for a decade.Thats ten more years for mankind to go on without a holocaust.Sounds like a win to me.Call me a glass half full kinda guy!

Some of you are saying Arnie was a joke in T3.Well he pretty much acted the same in T2.As for T3 being a ''rerun'' of T2,lets not forget that T2's plot was pretty much the same as T1(Bad terminator sent back to kill a connor,lone warrior sent to stop him(etc)).

The Sarah connor chronicles is shit.Plain and simple.Its just terminator for the O.C audience.Its dull,badly acted, and just pointless.I think T3 brought the story full circle and it should have ended there.Ill probably see Salvation more than likely as im a massive Christian bale fan and it should at least be a good spectacle.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 26
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 11:51:15 PM   
max314

quote:

I dont get why people are complaining about the lack of the Terminator theme in T3.Its there! Well in the end credits anyway.

Yes.  And that's not enough.  Especially after the glorious opening titles of the first two.

MAX

Post #: 27
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 9/3/2008 11:54:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

Both Terminator 2 and 3 are redundant.

I think Terminator is a masterclass of economical writing and tension. It is perfect as a single film. The final shot is iconic.

Then they make a sequel. And while I don't hate the film I have to disagree with everyone who thinks it was the third film which cheapened the concept. From "Bad to the Bone" right through to "Now I know why you cry", T2 is brimming with cheesy moments.

It destroyed what was, even at the end, a dark dark film. Cameron actully put his foot down and basiclly stopped the idea of Skynet. I found that to be a slap in the face of the first film.

The first film says the future can be changed...but is it?
The second answers that and gives you no room to disagree. The Connors win, Skynet is no longer viable.

T2 is every bit as chessy as T3 and every bit as redudant. But we forgive it because James Cameron made it. And yes, I do enjoy it - but last time I viewed it I rolled my eyes at a lot of it.

Think about it - "Hasta La Vista. Baby" - I mean, we went from a robot with no emotion, that couldn't be reasoned with, to something which makes witty puns before it kills.

So I enjoyed T3 on the same level as T2. Was it as well made? Nope - but I still believe Cameron to be one of the most techincally proficent directors out there and a hard act to follow. But it is in no way a sudden departure from the second film. Not by a long shot. 

I will look forward to this new film, if only because it's about time we saw the Future War storyline play out. Its the only thing left to touch. And who knows, with Bale involved we may be onto a winner.  

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 9/3/2008 11:55:29 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 28
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 10/3/2008 12:05:53 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Darth Silas I may be wrong (So apologies in advance) but didn't you say you only watched like half an ep of the show?  Mate how you sum it up with that?

T3 is ok, but I've said what my issues with it are and they could have made it more believeable (For me) if they had of presented John as a average guy trying to make a go at his life, after all Judgement Day was averted. An early draft of the script sounded much better (God knows why they never used it) in which JC was a successful guy and then Sara comes back into his life and all hell breaks loose and he has to to step up. None of this "Why me" bull shit! I love Nick Stahl too, but the part was just writtien like somthing....well as an OC fan   from some teen melo drama. A case of "issue of the week" and "I've got baggage" with JC in T3. Not what I wanna see, and mate there is none of that shite going on in the TV show.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 29
RE: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins - 10/3/2008 9:29:30 AM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Both Terminator 2 and 3 are redundant.

I think Terminator is a masterclass of economical writing and tension. It is perfect as a single film. The final shot is iconic.

Then they make a sequel. And while I don't hate the film I have to disagree with everyone who thinks it was the third film which cheapened the concept. From "Bad to the Bone" right through to "Now I know why you cry", T2 is brimming with cheesy moments.

It destroyed what was, even at the end, a dark dark film. Cameron actully put his foot down and basiclly stopped the idea of Skynet. I found that to be a slap in the face of the first film.

The first film says the future can be changed...but is it?
The second answers that and gives you no room to disagree. The Connors win, Skynet is no longer viable.

T2 is every bit as chessy as T3 and every bit as redudant. But we forgive it because James Cameron made it. And yes, I do enjoy it - but last time I viewed it I rolled my eyes at a lot of it.

Think about it - "Hasta La Vista. Baby" - I mean, we went from a robot with no emotion, that couldn't be reasoned with, to something which makes witty puns before it kills.

So I enjoyed T3 on the same level as T2. Was it as well made? Nope - but I still believe Cameron to be one of the most techincally proficent directors out there and a hard act to follow. But it is in no way a sudden departure from the second film. Not by a long shot. 

I will look forward to this new film, if only because it's about time we saw the Future War storyline play out. Its the only thing left to touch. And who knows, with Bale involved we may be onto a winner.  

I see The Terminator as the most perfect Sci Fi film next to Alien and Blade Runner. What James done is to expand on the idea of Terminator and use his original idea of Arnold being John's father. We know Reese is John's father and Arnold was good as a Terminator so we have him as John's protector against the new Terminator.
You did complain about the T800 cheesy lines but didn't the original Terminator had cheesy lines.

'Wash day tomorrow'
'Nice night for a walk'
and the most famous 'I'll be back' and slam a truck/car into a police officer.

The reason why T800 lines were cheesy in T2 because it spent a lot of time with John who been brought up to be street rise and hang out with 'lawbreakers' who trained him. The Terminators are designed to mix in with the crowd and that what this T800 did.

Now you said a line from Reese about the Terminators. If you remember near the end of T2, Skynet was destroyed and mankind is saved. However the film stop becoming preventing Judgement day and now to save a boy who doesn't matter anymore. The T1000 had witness Skynet's destruction but it still carrying out it mission to kill John when there's no point anymore. I think this is the most overlooked part in T2.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI