Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mad Men - US

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Mad Men - US Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mad Men - US - 2/3/2008 1:17:52 PM   
Mason Verger

Mad Men
Sunday 02 March
10:00pm - 10:50pm
BBC4
Repeated on Tuesday at 11.20pm on BBC2.

In a New York bar skulks a lone ad copywriter fretting over an account. He has to invent a new way for Lucky Strike to promote their cigarettes, now that manufacturers are banned from saying they're good for you. It's a beautifully assured establishing scene that compels you to adopt one man's distinctly vintage dilemma as your own. The troubled creative is Don Draper (Jon Hamm) - the lead in The Sopranos writer/producer Matthew Weiner's polished drama about 1960s Madison Avenue executives. It's a world where the term sexual harassment in the workplace had yet to be invented. Americans say this is special, and they're right. I was sold on the first scene, but there's also the immaculate detailing, the slick writing and sharp suits. 

RT reviewer - Ruth MargolisVIDEO Plus+: 1896192
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described
Cast
  • Jon Hamm,John Slattery,Elisabeth Moss,Vincent Kartheiser,January Jones,Christina Hendricks

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 9/11/2009 7:49:18 PM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.
  • Post #: 1
    RE: Mad Men - 2/3/2008 4:31:23 PM   
    Heywood

Really looking forward to this. I've seen a few clips and it looks excellent. They really seem to have captured the period perfectly, without pandering to modern sensibilities; there is some really sexist dialogue and a woman smoking while pregnant. All things people did in those days, but TV producers wouldn't normally show for fear of offending a modern-day audience.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
    Post #: 2
    RE: Mad Men - 3/3/2008 12:28:51 PM   
    BigKovacs

Saw Ep 1 last night and really liked it, looking forward to more.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Heywood)
    Post #: 3
    RE: Mad Men - 3/3/2008 2:28:54 PM   
    Dirty Hartigan

This was very good, I have to say. Sharp writing, well acted (the annoying guy from Angel played on the fact that he's the annoying guy from Angel - brilliant!) really evokes the period well with some sly references (the young, handsome presidential candidate the boss wants to win being Nixon made me laugh) - certainly will catch this next week.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Mad Men - 3/3/2008 5:20:10 PM   
    Fanboyslayer

Does anyone know if it's repeated? It clashed with match of the day which the other half just had to blimin watch so I missed it.

Doh! ignore me I've just read Masons post properly

< Message edited by Fanboyslayer -- 3/3/2008 5:21:51 PM >

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Mad Men - 3/3/2008 8:51:26 PM   
    Venkman

I watched it on iplayer, really impressed, will be watching future episodes

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Mad Men - 3/3/2008 10:36:52 PM   
    elab49

I'm still not getting it.

I watched it again as the reviews after the first time I saw it and wasn't overly impressed were phenomenal but, still. For me it seems to play casual sexism and cigarette smoke as pretty much the entire spirit of the time - Good Night and Good Luck evoked the period far better and Thank You For Smoking the amoral side of 'advertising'. The characters were often overly arch throwing out glib phrases rather than exchanging dialogue - and are the 'gay' one and the 'jewish' one supposed to be such obvious stereotypes? Haven't we seen the former in Far from Heaven et al, and the latter in numerous other things - Miller's Focus has more or less the same scene with shoving the token jew forward for the client. Obviously, for me then, it seems overly derivative - an unoriginal collage that doesn't work on its own. Possibly yet?

The lead's performance was so withdrawn most of the time as not to be there. Writing - well, dialogue and story noted above. I spent most of the show trying to work out where I'd seen people and then hitting myself on the head at the PC when I realised I didn't recognise Connor!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Venkman)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Mad Men - 13/3/2008 10:41:06 AM   
    princessa

Loved this...although it's slow moving...i think that this series is more to do with the emotions and feelings of the characters.  Than fast moving plots.  The fact that they can't or won't communicate their feelings to each other. 

I love the way it evokes the 60's; the writing is sharp and funny; the perfomances excellent.  I cannot wait for more episodes...

Oh and Jon Hamm who plays Don Draper is gorgeous...

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Mad Men - 13/3/2008 11:24:10 AM   
    Kenny

Im really looking forward to this, I havent heard much of the network this shows on over in the US - AMC, but their first two shows - Mad Men and Breaking Bad are getting rave reviews. Anyone know if its comin to UK telly?

Well Ive Had a Lovely Evening But This Wasnt It! - Groucho Marx

(in reply to princessa)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Mad Men - 13/3/2008 11:31:38 AM   
    Amelie_Scotland

I'm really enjoying the show. It's been a while since I've really gotten into watching an American drama and this is doing the job nicely. I like how it plays on showing things that were normal then but you'd never do now, like let a little girl run around with a plastic bag on her head. Jon Hamm is excellent.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Kenny)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Mad Men - 13/3/2008 11:33:08 AM   
    elab49

I'm certainly looking forward to it. Cranston's lack of an Emmy for Malcolm in the Middle is as much of an indictment for them as The Wire's lack of silverware.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Kenny)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Mad Men - 13/3/2008 11:58:10 AM   
    Kenny

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Cranston's lack of an Emmy for Malcolm in the Middle is as much of an indictment for them as The Wire's lack of silverware.

Agreed.

Well Ive Had a Lovely Evening But This Wasnt It! - Groucho Marx

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Mad Men - 8/7/2008 8:32:15 PM   
    Mason Verger

Image Is Everything on "Mad Men" from MovingImageSource.us

(in reply to Kenny)
    Post #: 13
    RE: Mad Men - 9/7/2008 5:55:03 PM   
    BigKovacs

I want to get back into this, I work in the industry and it parallels a lot of what still goes on. Great show.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
    Post #: 14
    RE: Mad Men - 9/7/2008 6:05:49 PM   
    Caster

Can't wait for the second series.  This was one of the best TV shows this year.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
    Post #: 15
    RE: Mad Men - 30/7/2008 4:31:14 PM   
    punchdrunk

What a great show full of subtlety and great performances, the main character was heartless, but likable but unlike "the Sopranos" this show doesn't had the room to relax like having gangsters do normal everyday soap opera, things can be fun because your mind holds the fact they are gangsters (and tended to end in a bloody mess anyway), but in the next series they need to bring out more excess, put the "Mad" in Mad Men, at the moment they seem pretty tame.
    I love the Store Owners daughter, she needs to have more to do, Not very keen on the new girl/copyrighter, I never really got the Actress when she was in "The West Wing" (*ducks and covers*)
    possible spoiler---
    the fat makeup on the last two shows was awful, didn't they do a screen test on that? I know the show was low budget, but that's no excuse for not screen testing the makeup and realising how bad it looked.    

(in reply to Caster)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Mad Men - 30/7/2008 6:41:30 PM   
    elab49

As the show went on some small snippets of dialogue were beautifully written - but it still didn't convince me as more than a pastiche.

On the plus side, though - FX bought Breaking Bad and it should be starting soon.

quote:

(in reply to punchdrunk)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Mad Men - 31/7/2008 4:11:10 PM   
    kool g murder

The new series has just started in the US. I was really mesmerised by it, the same as when watching a new ep of the sopranos. It's a great, smart show, but I do think the lack of action might stop it from being a really huge hit...

< Message edited by kool g murder -- 31/7/2008 4:12:30 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Mad Men - 25/10/2008 6:02:29 PM   
    Mason Verger

Mad Men
    Saturday 25 October
    11:30pm - 12:20am
    BBC4
    Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

We wouldn't normally make a repeat our pick of the day but, to paraphrase that commercial, this isn't just any repeat, this is a Mad Men repeat. It might not have been the most watched drama of recent TV history, either in its native America or over here where it ran on BBC4 this year, but it was certainly the most talked about, culminating last month in six Emmy awards, including a well-deserved outstanding drama series win. The Mad Men are the Madison Avenue advertising creatives who toiled in a haze of cigarette smoke and bourbon fumes in the heady days of the early 1960s. They are sexist and routinely adulterous, using the women in their lives, both at home and at work, as conveniences. At the eye of the vortex is the enigmatic account executive Don Draper (played by Jon Hamm, whose traffic-stopping good looks have turned him into a heart-throb). You might think nothing much actually happens in this opening episode, and you'd be right, but stick with it, because Mad Men unfolds into a perfect, beautiful thing. Season two starts on BBC4 early next year.

RT reviewer - Alison GrahamVIDEO Plus+: 6421019
    Repeat, Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described
    Cast

• Jon Hamm,John Slattery,Elisabeth Moss,Vincent Kartheiser,January Jones,Christina Hendricks

(in reply to kool g murder)
  • Post #: 19
    RE: Mad Men - 25/10/2008 6:41:17 PM   
    punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

As the show went on some small snippets of dialogue were beautifully written - but it still didn't convince me as more than a pastiche.

I did find it a little too understated, for all the drinking mysogony and (shock horror) smoking, there was little to grab, the introduction of the gun made me think something big was going to happen, the writers seemed to be nervous of letting things loose once in a while which was a real shame. Hopefully series 2 will shake things up a little.    

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 20
    RE: Mad Men - 26/10/2008 1:38:55 AM   
    nutteronabus

Season 2 doesn't disappoint. I've been following it at it's been going out in the US, and there's only one episode left - but I'd go so far as to say it's been pretty amazing.

Here's hoping season 3 doesn't let the side down.

“You think you’re so cultured because you’ve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!”

(in reply to punchdrunk)
    Post #: 21
    RE: Mad Men - 28/10/2008 2:16:09 PM   
    theram05

I'd agree, S2 has been as soild as S1, with some fantastic revelations again. I particularly liked the LA episode which aired recently.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to nutteronabus)
    Post #: 22
    RE: Mad Men - 22/1/2009 12:48:52 PM   
    demoncleaner

Does anyone know when Series 2 starts on the Beeb?

(in reply to theram05)
    Post #: 23
    RE: Mad Men - 23/1/2009 4:07:52 PM   
    Caster

Was wondering that myself...

(in reply to demoncleaner)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Mad Men - 23/1/2009 4:15:11 PM   
    matthewforan

Was thinking of buying season one of dvd found it for a good price might pick it up as a blind buy.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Caster)
    Post #: 25
    RE: Mad Men - 24/1/2009 11:38:13 AM   
    spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

Does anyone know when Series 2 starts on the Beeb?

feb 10 bbc4.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
    Post #: 26
    RE: Mad Men - 24/1/2009 1:47:04 PM   
    punchdrunk

The Daily Telegraph Magazine has a good 'Mad Men' Season 2 feature.

(in reply to spark1)
    Post #: 27
    RE: Mad Men - 24/1/2009 1:50:35 PM   
    BlueBalls

I am a fan of this show and I cant wait for the second season, just to get crude for a second, Christina Hendricks is smoking hot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
    I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
    Post #: 28
    RE: Mad Men - 29/1/2009 1:30:29 PM   
    spark1

also on bbc2 from wed 11 feb 11.20pm.

(in reply to BlueBalls)
    Post #: 29
    RE: Mad Men - 29/1/2009 9:38:26 PM   
    MI Cruise

Saw the trailer of the new series on BBC yesterday and it looks really good, I remember when the show aired over here in UK, I saw the trailer and remembered liking it however I forgot the name of the show so I forgot it was Mad Men and missed it every week when it came on TV thinking Mad Men sounded like some documentary show. Disappointed now seeing as I really want to watch this show now.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to spark1)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Mad Men - US Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI