Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoilers*

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoilers* Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoilers* - 27/2/2008 11:04:19 PM   
yeahbabyimeanTurk

I was looking for a thread on this and I can't believe there isn't one....unless there's one I don't know about. I read it for the first time recently and was taken by it! Personally I love the characterisation, especially that of Bunny and Henry. So what is the general consensus on it?

Ketchup....Catsup.....
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 28/2/2008 1:42:43 PM   
Super Hans

I read it a while ago and found it a real effort to get through.  I found a lot of very slow and almost tedious, although there were parts that I found very gripping.  I remember it ending pretty well.  I found all of the characters pretty annoying, although Henry was definately the most interesting character.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to yeahbabyimeanTurk)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 29/2/2008 12:29:15 PM   
BigKovacs

I loved it, I also found the characters annoying until I realised they were written that way intentionally, after that I really got into it. I haven't read any of Tartt's other stuff, should do really.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 2/3/2008 8:11:59 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

I adored this book - fantastic, brilliantly realised, very gripping. I didn't find it slow at all, it was mesmerizing. Bunny was an utter nightmare, I could feel every tortorous joke he made! All the characters were fascinating, I love it.

The only other book by Donna Tartt that I know of is The Little Friend, which is also brilliant.

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 5/3/2008 1:50:30 PM   
elab49

She has only written 2 novels.

I think you'll find everyone of a certain age did - around 1994 you couldn't get on a bus, tube or train anywhere without a few in the carrage reading it (same thing happened with Wild Swans). Wonderful book.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 11/3/2008 12:58:35 PM   
Skiba

One of my favourite books where you can totally immerse yourself in the story and the characters are fantastic

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 11/3/2008 1:14:24 PM   
cold_one

I loved it. I thought it was incredibly well-written.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 17/3/2008 8:38:23 PM   
The2ndRing

I read it and enjoyed it a lot, had to write an essay on it for uni, I did however find it a tad "look how clever I am" in places on the author's part, I think she is very aware of her own intellect and likes others to be, plus her photo at the back of the book is very annoying too:

I kinda want to slap her....

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to cold_one)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 17/3/2008 8:41:35 PM   
cold_one

What's annoying to you about that photo?

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 17/3/2008 8:59:02 PM   
Hex

Ever so slightly Frau Farbissina-esque isnt she?

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to cold_one)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 18/3/2008 9:14:02 AM   
The2ndRing

quote:

ORIGINAL: cold_one

What's annoying to you about that photo?

You can't see it?  I don't know, maybe it's just me, she looks very "look how clever I am" don't you think?  This isn't to say I don't like the book, I am just very shallow and judge people solely on their appearance

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

Fuck all."

(in reply to cold_one)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 18/3/2008 12:52:11 PM   
cold_one

quote:

ORIGINAL: The2ndRing

You can't see it?  I don't know, maybe it's just me, she looks very "look how clever I am" don't you think?  This isn't to say I don't like the book, I am just very shallow and judge people solely on their appearance

As a woman, my reaction to that picture is more to be impressed that she didn't elaborately make herself up to look classically beautiful, to wonder what sort of a blouse that is because the collar is interesting, and to wish I could have a bob haircut like that because it's probably fun but wouldn't flatter me.

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoi... - 18/3/2008 2:11:06 PM   
The2ndRing

quote:

ORIGINAL: cold_one

quote:

ORIGINAL: The2ndRing

As a woman, my reaction to that picture is more to be impressed that she didn't elaborately make herself up to look classically beautiful, to wonder what sort of a blouse that is because the collar is interesting, and to wish I could have a bob haircut like that because it's probably fun but wouldn't flatter me.

And as a woman myself I think she is trying to portray an image that I find annoying

Fuck all."

(in reply to cold_one)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Anyone read The Secret History? *Here might be spoilers* Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI