Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best Geek Show Ever?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best Geek Show Ever? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 21/4/2012 7:58:57 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'm a straight guy and I wouldn't say Leonard is ugly. Neither is Raj, actually.

The other two, though........?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Nihilism in the UK)
Post #: 151
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 21/4/2012 8:11:08 PM   
paul_ie86

To answer the current thread title, no.

And none of them is really that ugly either. Just because a guy isn't Ryan Gosling doesn't mean he's ugly. And what a superficial view of relationships you have.

Yours,
an ugly nerdy guy.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 152
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 21/4/2012 8:25:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

It's true though, neither of them are particularly ugly. And apparently the dude who plays Raj has a huge female following.

I was shocked to learn that Jim Parsons is almost 40

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 153
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 27/4/2012 12:12:39 PM   
jcthefirst

Amy playing Wanted: Dead or Alive on the harp.
Amy saying there's not a hair on her body she wouldn't let Penny cut.
Just Amy. She's fantastic and has gone from a character I hated upon her introduction to my favourite now.

Howard's NASA storyline got some good yuks from me as well. Eating a butterfly indeed.

Although, one slight complaint, does anyone think they're playing Sheldon a bit broader these days? Still funny but just slightly more out there than usual.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 154
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 27/4/2012 2:28:57 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Although, one slight complaint, does anyone think they're playing Sheldon a bit broader these days? Still funny but just slightly more out there than usual.

He's definitely been shifted more front and centre for this series I think.

It's funny watching repeats of the first series though, Parsons played him with a deeper voice, just seems weird now.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 155
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 27/4/2012 3:34:46 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Amy playing Wanted: Dead or Alive on the harp.
Amy saying there's not a hair on her body she wouldn't let Penny cut.
Just Amy. She's fantastic and has gone from a character I hated upon her introduction to my favourite now.

She's so adorable.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 156
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 27/4/2012 3:52:06 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nihilism in the UK

Ahh, The Big Bang Theory. The show where a bunch of ugly geeks somehow manage to bed beautiful women that in reality wouldn't look at them twice. Funny though.

Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco were together in real life for about two years.

Post #: 157
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:10:19 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Ahh, The Big Bang Theory. The show where a bunch of ugly geeks somehow manage to bed beautiful women that in reality wouldn't look at them twice. Funny though.

That true?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 158
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:11:54 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

That true?

Yeah, she gave an interview about it a while ago.

Post #: 159
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:14:56 PM   
elab49

And Rajesh is with a former Miss India. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 160
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:23:04 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

And Rajesh is with a former Miss India. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 161
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:26:25 PM   
elab49

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/5/2012 2:27:42 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 162
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:28:34 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

Amy should go down in sitcom history for the tiara scene alone!   Hard to believe it's the same person that used to play Blossom all those years ago...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 163
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:36:03 PM   
rawlinson

Am I the only person who hates that tiara scene then? The show itself has gone downhill for me since they've started turning it into Friends, but that scene in particular annoyed the hell out of me.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 164
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:38:43 PM   
elab49

I find lines like the 'she can cut any hair on my body' more apt for Amy. And disturbing.

I probably wouldn't watch as regularly if my husband wasn't such a fan but last week he said he didn't think it would last longer as he was beginning to find the punch lines a bit repetitive.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 165
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:39:05 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

Am I the only person who hates that tiara scene then?

Yes.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 166
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 2:42:26 PM   
rawlinson

I think it might actually be the jump the shark moment for me. I never loved Big Bang anyway, but I've been rewatching some of the early eps recently, and the difference in quality is staggering.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 167
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 3:02:41 PM   
paul_ie86

I just watched the two clips. The hair joke> the tiara scene

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 168
RE: The Big Bang Theory - 1/5/2012 7:52:15 PM   
Spectre

I still like the show, but in terms of comedies, I think Modern Family is the one to beat at the moment.

I think Modern Family is at its peak, whereas The Big Bang Theory hit that high a couple of seasons ago.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 169
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 1/5/2012 11:35:51 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

Am I the only person who hates that tiara scene then? The show itself has gone downhill for me since they've started turning it into Friends, but that scene in particular annoyed the hell out of me.

Friends how?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 170
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 2/5/2012 8:13:17 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

Friends how?

I think with the introduction of Bernadette and Amy as main characters rather than supporting ones the dynamic of the show has shifted a bit. It was initially about "a bunch of geeks and a hot girl". It developed into  " a bunch of geeks one of whom goes out with the hot girl". It's now " same bunch of geeks and their girlfriends who are also friends with the hot girl who is in an on/off relationship with one of the geeks" There's more focus on romantic relationships compared to that on the dynamics between the guys than there was in earlier episodes. Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing  I can see where the comparison comes from. 

Having the girls take a more prominent role in the show does it make it a bit more like Friends. The fact that there's not a single day goes by that you can't watch BBT on E4 makes it exactly like Friends

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 171
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 2/5/2012 1:10:02 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

Friends how?

I think with the introduction of Bernadette and Amy as main characters rather than supporting ones the dynamic of the show has shifted a bit. It was initially about "a bunch of geeks and a hot girl". It developed into  " a bunch of geeks one of whom goes out with the hot girl". It's now " same bunch of geeks and their girlfriends who are also friends with the hot girl who is in an on/off relationship with one of the geeks" There's more focus on romantic relationships compared to that on the dynamics between the guys than there was in earlier episodes. Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing  I can see where the comparison comes from. 

Having the girls take a more prominent role in the show does it make it a bit more like Friends. The fact that there's not a single day goes by that you can't watch BBT on E4 makes it exactly like Friends

Whereas I liked Friends when it was on, I now feel compelled to reach for the remote when I see it on E4 (or now Comedy Central), and this is what over exposure of it has done to me (The Simpsons being another example). I don't hate it, I'm just tired of seeing the damn thing every day. It'll be a sad though if BBT turns that way.

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 2/5/2012 1:12:29 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 172
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 2/5/2012 8:30:48 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

There's more focus on romantic relationships compared to that on the dynamics between the guys than there was in earlier episodes. Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing  I can see where the comparison comes from. 

No, it's a bad thing. A really bad thing. It's not a bad thing if that's what the show started as, but it really feels like it's been shifted to accommodate the kind of fanbase that needs everyone paired off. But otherwise, yeah, spot on.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 173
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 3/5/2012 12:25:49 PM   
spark1

the show had to change in some way to keep it fresh so bringing in more female characters was the way forward.
it also shows a maturity on part of leonard and howard.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 3/5/2012 12:27:22 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 174
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 3/5/2012 12:34:53 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

the show had to change in some way to keep it fresh

Why? Frasier run 11 seasons and the only major change over that running time was getting Daphne and Niles together. Seinfeld run 9 seasons without anyone changing. Cheers had what 10, 11 seasons with very few changes to the cast or characters. A vast number of great sitcoms operate on the basis that the characters can't change simply because they're trapped by their true natures. Obviously characters get refined over time and the first series is always about working out the kinks, but if you shift the dynamic of a show to the extent that The Big Bang Theory has then you're basically creating a different show and just wanting to keep the fanbase of the original characters.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 175
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 3/5/2012 12:47:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

There's more focus on romantic relationships compared to that on the dynamics between the guys than there was in earlier episodes. Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing  I can see where the comparison comes from. 

No, it's a bad thing. A really bad thing. It's not a bad thing if that's what the show started as, but it really feels like it's been shifted to accommodate the kind of fanbase that needs everyone paired off. But otherwise, yeah, spot on.

I'm not sure I get this bit. What kind of fanbase is that? I don't see it getting the girl squealy shippers for normal US sitcoms because, after all, it's still Howard and Sheldon. And isn't it really that kind of mindset that cares about people paring off in sitcoms?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 176
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 3/5/2012 12:49:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure I get this bit. What kind of fanbase is that? I don't see it getting the girl squealy shippers for normal US sitcoms because, after all, it's still Howard and Sheldon. And isn't it really that kind of mindset that cares about people paring off in sitcoms?

So you haven't heard about the arguments between people who want Leonard and Penny to get together and those who want Penny to be with Sheldon?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 177
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 3/5/2012 12:51:05 PM   
elab49

That I've seen - but that was there long before Bernadette and Amy turned up and would be there even if they never had. I don't think that's quite the same thing?

ALso, after the pseudo custody arguments after the break-up, anyone who keeps that up is just sick

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 178
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 3/5/2012 1:04:30 PM   
rawlinson

But it's playing in to that kind of fanbase, I think. There's no real reason why Sheldon should be given a girlfriend. The whole point of that character is that he's too rigid/autistic (depending on your interpretation) to change. And if someone seriously thinks a show that was only three seasons old by the time Bernadette and Amy became regulars really needed to change to keep it fresh, I think that's a problem that runs deeper into the writing itself. But it's not even about the introduction of the characters as much as it's about the way they shift the dynamic of the episodes. I quite like the way Amy is played when she's just being a bit creepy, but a lot of the storylines they give the girls are just so hacky. "Oh no, Amy's got Penny a massive painting, but it's hideous! LOL! What will Penny do!??!" "Oh look, Amy's being given a tiara! Look at her reaction! Wacky or what!??!" "This week the girls steal clothes from a clothes bank! Because women, they just looooove their shoes!" The storylines were obviously over the top from the beginning, but it kind of worked because there were four genius nerds and the o.t.t. nature was generally related to nerdier things. Bernadette and Amy are of the same intellect as the guys, so why are we suddenly getting storylines where Bernadette is changing into Howard's mother or Amy is just a girly girl after all? Why can't they write ideas based more on their intelligence?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 179
RE: Best Geek Show Ever? - 3/5/2012 1:12:38 PM   
elab49

Isn't that just their version of the men and the comics/figurines? So much of their side is around them playing games or some geek thing - not intellect. It comes up occasionally - as it does on the female side - but to focus on it on the female side would look odd in comparison.

And I do say this as someone who loathes the fact that it isn't so much that Penny is an idiot but more one that's into fortune telling and Eat Pray Love shit, which makes her less sassy and more an embarassment to her gender.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best Geek Show Ever? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI