Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hammer Horror

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Hammer Horror Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hammer Horror - 12/1/2013 2:54:32 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

RELEASED ON 3-DISC DOUBLE PLAY ON 18TH MARCH 2013

Hammer, Icon Film Distribution and Lionsgate are proud to present a major event in British film history.

Terence Fisher's 1958 classic DRACULA, fully restored in High Definition and available on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time. The release will contain two versions of the feature (seamlessly branched on the Blu-ray):

The 2007 BFI restoration plus the 2012 Hammer restoration, which adds additional footage that has been unavailable for decades.

The additional footage comprises two of the scenes that were originally censored by the BBFC in 1958 that have now been restored to the film from the “Japanese reels”:
• Dracula’s seduction of Mina
• Dracula’s sunlight disintegration
These will be the most complete versions ever released and taken together fully deserving of the description DEFINITIVE.

DRACULA has been unavailable on any UK home entertainment format for many years. This release will be at the correct aspect ratio of 1.66:1 which has never been available for home viewing.

Available 18th March in the UK on 3-disc Double Play, the pack comprises1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD, the release also includes brand new featurettes, a new commentary track, multiple bonus extras and a stills show.

DRACULA is the first in the series of Hammer films inspired by the Bram Stoker novel Dracula. It was directed by Terence Fisher, and stars Peter Cushing, Michael Gough, Carol Marsh, Melissa Stribling and Christopher Lee.

Dr. Van Helsing, investigating the death of his friend Jonathan Harker, concludes that Harker was the victim of a vampire. When Harker's fiancée, Lucy, becomes affected by the terrifying force and hypnotic power of Count Dracula, Van Helsing releases her tortured soul by driving a stake through her heart. But Dracula seeks revenge, targeting Lucy's beautiful sister-in-law, Mina. Van Helsing, now aided by Mina’s husband Arthur, swears to exorcise this evil forever by confronting the vile and depraved Count himself.

Four Brand-New Featurettes:
• "Dracula Reborn". New 30 min. featurette about the film’s creation and history, featuring, among others: Jimmy Sangster, Kim Newman, Mark Gatiss, Jonathan Rigby and Janina Faye (Tania in the film).
• "Resurrecting Dracula". New 20 min. featurette about the film’s restoration, from the BFI’s 2007 restoration through to the integration of “lost” footage, featuring interviews with key staff at the BFI, Molinare and Deluxe142. Also covers the February 2012 world premiere of Hammer’s interim restored version including “vox pop” interviews with fans after the event.
• "The Demon Lover: Christopher Frayling on Dracula". New 30 min. featurette.
• "Censoring Dracula". New 10 min. featurette on the original cuts to the film ordered by the British Board of Film Censors.

Commentary:
• New commentary by Hammer historian Marcus Hearn and author & critic Jonathan Rigby.

Plus:
• All 4 surviving "Japanese reels" (6 - 9) unrestored (40 mins).
• The World Of Hammer episode: Dracula And The Undead.
• Janina Faye reading a chapter of Stoker’s novel at the VAULT festival.
• Stills Gallery of over 100 fully-restored and rare images.
• Booklet by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson (PDF).
• Original shooting script (PDF).

DRACULA Technical Information:
• Certificate: (TBC)
• Region: B/2
• Barcode: 5060223769196
• Catalogue number: LGB95006
• Double Play: 1 x BD & 2 x DVD
• Languages: English

This sounds awesome!

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 211
RE: Hammer Horror - 15/2/2013 11:06:17 PM   
rich

Totally, I've been waiting for a new release

Recent Hammer viewing - Quatermass and the Pit, The Devil Rides Out - both awesome. Christopher Lee is so dry

"Thank God."

"...Yes, Simon."

Meanwhile...

Post #: 212
RE: Hammer Horror - 2/3/2013 6:10:59 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Watched The Evil of Frankenstein last night. The continuity is a bit off (when did he make that monster? It can't be the one played by Christopher Lee in the first film surely?), and it's not the best of the sequels, but it's a good story, and goes in a different and rather interesting direction, with the villain of the piece being a hypnotist instead of the mad scientist. Peter Cushing, as always, is on fine form, and Kiwi Kingston is impressive as the Monster, quite Karloff-like in appearance.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 213
RE: Hammer Horror - 6/3/2013 3:54:41 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Totally, I've been waiting for a new release

Recent Hammer viewing - Quatermass and the Pit, The Devil Rides Out - both awesome. Christopher Lee is so dry

"Thank God."

"...Yes, Simon."

I seem to remember The Devil Rides Out being one of their best. Prince of Darkness was probably my favourite. Wasn't there talk of The Devil Rides Out being remade a while back?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 214
RE: Hammer Horror - 10/3/2013 1:20:33 PM   
Aquitaine

The only version of 'Frankenstein' or 'The Mummy' I have in my collection are Hammer. I have one other Dracula version other than the Hammer one in my collection and that is Murnau's 'Nosferatu'.

IMO the Universal ones are of historical significance, milestones its true, but have, even compared to many other films of the era, a very 'stagey' feel to them, like someone just filmed the stage version.
Not very creatively made either. The italian 'Dracula', however, is superior in the creative department, but not in performance.
'Nosferatu' beats them both and I know its a silent film which necessitated physical over-acting, but its by far my preferred version of the tale on film. My preferred vampire film, unrelated to 'Dracula', is 'The Hunger'.

But I digress, sorry, yes I love what Hammer did with the classic monsters especially, but also very much enjoyed 'Hound of the Baskervilles'.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 215
RE: Hammer Horror - 16/3/2013 5:38:26 PM   
fleapit1

I think the Hammer attempt at Frankenstein was pretty poor but Dracula definately worked, until they put the Count in the modern day i.e Dracula AD 72. The Hammer House of Horror TV series was my favourite thing Hammer did.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 216
RE: Hammer Horror - 17/3/2013 1:11:34 AM   
rich

Their takes on the older Universal monsters are a mixed bunch from what I remember seeing. The first Dracula is obviously the best, and it has a lot of sequels most of which are not. I sort of like the unrelated Scars Of... though. To be honest I can't remember which takes on Frankenstein I have seen, they all kind of blur together. Though I do remember laughing at the Horror of Frankenstein where he goes around sleeping with everyone for some reason, I wasn't sure if it was intentionally a parody or not >_>

Meanwhile...

(in reply to fleapit1)
Post #: 217
RE: Hammer Horror - 5/8/2013 6:57:00 PM   
paul.mccluskey

The Mummy will be released as a Blu-ray/DVD combo on 14th October. Extras include:

- Original UK theatrical aspect ratio: 1.66:1 (the film has never before been released at this aspect ratio)
- Alternate full frame aspect ratio: 1.37:1
- Unwrapping The Mummy -- New 25 min. HD documentary about the film's creation and history
- Hammer's Rep Company -- New 20 min. HD documentary about Hammer's informal repertory company of actors
- Commentary -- New expert commentary from Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
- Stolen Face -- bonus feature (Terence Fisher's 1952 crime drama, 72 mins)
- The House Of Horror: Memories Of Bray -- Hammer's all-new 5-part documentary (50 mins total) which will premiere on Hammer's YouTube channel before the Double Play release
- Hammer Stars: Peter Cushing -- The World Of Hammer episode
- HD Archive/Stills Gallery Original industry promo reel restored to HD (6 mins)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 218
RE: Hammer Horror - 3/9/2013 2:32:36 AM   
Uncle Charlie

Great thread full of excellent posts..Growing up in the 50s and 60s I vividly remember going to our local movie house nearly every Sat. afternoon..More often than not the double feature included a pair of Hammer film releases.. I especially recall Peter Cushing as that fearless vampire hunter Prof. Von Helsing and Christopher Lee as Count Dracula. I would run home after leaving the theater (it was just getting dark) knowing full well a vampire was out there waiting for me. Scared shitless I would swear I would never watch another vampire movie again.. The following Sat. I was back in the front row doing it all over again..

FWIW - admission to those matinees back then was 20 cents US for kids. Times certainly have changed.

Post #: 219
RE: Hammer Horror - 8/12/2013 12:48:18 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Horror of Dracula, The Mummy, The Curse of Frankenstein and The Abominable Snowman are on over the Christmas period on BBC2, from Boxing Day to 29th December.

(in reply to Uncle Charlie)
Post #: 220
RE: Hammer Horror - 10/3/2014 8:14:26 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell will be released as a Blu-ray/DVD combo on 28th April 2014. Extras include:

- Taking Over The Asylum: The Making Of Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell
- Charming Evil: Terence Fisher at Hammer
- Audio commentary by Shane Briant and Madeline Smith, moderated by Marcus Hearn
- Animated stills gallery

Post #: 221
RE: Hammer Horror - 8/4/2014 6:16:07 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell will be released as a Blu-ray/DVD combo on 28th April 2014. Extras include:

- Taking Over The Asylum: The Making Of Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell
- Charming Evil: Terence Fisher at Hammer
- Audio commentary by Shane Briant and Madeline Smith, moderated by Marcus Hearn
- Animated stills gallery

Look forward to these on Blu-Ray along with Dracula 1958.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

Post #: 222
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Hammer Horror Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI