Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hammer Horror

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Hammer Horror Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hammer Horror - 30/8/2010 6:54:17 AM   
DazDaMan

That's pretty much how I feel about Bram Stoker's Dracula. Yes, I have it in my collection, but I'm a bit of a completist!

Hammer's vampires were sexy yet extremely dangerous (especially in the case of the Karnstein Trilogy), not doomed souls looking for reincarnated lovers!!

Speaking of the Karnstein Trilogy - Twins of Evil FTW!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to filmscene)
Post #: 121
RE: Hammer Horror - 30/8/2010 11:03:56 AM   
filmscene

Twins of evil is a cracking film. I confess to having a particular liking for this film as I used to collect 8mm film extracts as a teenager & a distributor released the climactic last 10 of the film. I think my brother and I must have watched that extract about 200 times as well as inviting friends over for same. Eventually the same company released a near complete version which I rushed out & bought. I can probably quote most of the dialogue (how sad is that..lol)

Peter Cushing is just superb as the puritanical witch hunter & the combination of vampires & religious fanaticism is very powerful, drawing parallels with Vincent Price's 'WitchfinderGeneral'. The Collinson twins are gorgeous & what a music score (apparently, the composer wanted a western type theme).
I can never decide which Karnstein film I prefer - Twins or Vampire Lovers. I suppose I love them equally. (I don't count Lust for a vampire)
Vampire lovers has a more dream like quality, while Twins of evil is more straight action & incident.

There is one major plot hole though in TOE. Count Karnstein resurrects his vampire ancestor Mircalla through murdering the village girl in the black magic ritual, who vampirizes him & supposedly kick starts the vampire epidemic. However, before any of this, the brotherhood had already discovered a corpse drained of blood which is never explained..oh well!.
Hammer could be a little lacking in their continuity. You only have to consider how they can change vampire law from film to film. For example, Anton, explains in TOE that "burning is useless, fire will not vanquish vampires", yet in Brides of Dracula, Van Helsing insists that vampires can be destroyed by "driving a wooden stake through the heart or by burning".....You never know who to believe!

Incidentally, the other 8mm Hammer extract I bought just before TOE all those years ago was the first 10 minutes of "Vampire Circus". That was another watershed moment & another film I have always enjoyed.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 122
RE: Hammer Horror - 30/8/2010 8:38:25 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmscene

Twins of evil is a cracking film. I confess to having a particular liking for this film as I used to collect 8mm film extracts as a teenager & a distributor released the climactic last 10 of the film. I think my brother and I must have watched that extract about 200 times as well as inviting friends over for same. Eventually the same company released a near complete version which I rushed out & bought. I can probably quote most of the dialogue (how sad is that..lol)

Peter Cushing is just superb as the puritanical witch hunter & the combination of vampires & religious fanaticism is very powerful, drawing parallels with Vincent Price's 'WitchfinderGeneral'. The Collinson twins are gorgeous & what a music score (apparently, the composer wanted a western type theme).
I can never decide which Karnstein film I prefer - Twins or Vampire Lovers. I suppose I love them equally. (I don't count Lust for a vampire)
Vampire lovers has a more dream like quality, while Twins of evil is more straight action & incident.

There is one major plot hole though in TOE. Count Karnstein resurrects his vampire ancestor Mircalla through murdering the village girl in the black magic ritual, who vampirizes him & supposedly kick starts the vampire epidemic. However, before any of this, the brotherhood had already discovered a corpse drained of blood which is never explained..oh well!.
Hammer could be a little lacking in their continuity. You only have to consider how they can change vampire law from film to film. For example, Anton, explains in TOE that "burning is useless, fire will not vanquish vampires", yet in Brides of Dracula, Van Helsing insists that vampires can be destroyed by "driving a wooden stake through the heart or by burning".....You never know who to believe!

Incidentally, the other 8mm Hammer extract I bought just before TOE all those years ago was the first 10 minutes of "Vampire Circus". That was another watershed moment & another film I have always enjoyed.

Can't believe this but i too collected those Super 8MM films,back before VHS arived,and i still have the films.200Ft/10 minute versions of Taste The Blood Of Dracula,WitchfinderGeneral,The Thing From Another World, a few others,and then the 400ft 20 minute of A L I E N,Star Wars,The Exorcist and a few more not worth mentioning.All in sound of course from ye old Yelco Projector,which i have stored away.
Anyway Twins Of Evil is Cushing and Lee at there best,just loved this one,still have to get it on DVD or Blu Ray,i did have it on VHS,but it's toast along with the video recorder.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to filmscene)
Post #: 123
RE: Hammer Horror - 31/8/2010 10:32:20 AM   
filmscene

The small world of film collecting....I even had a Yelco projector at one point. I started with cut downs like The Thing from another World, Witchfinder General, Taste the blood of Dracula, many of the old Universal shorts (Lugosi Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman etc) then progressed to the 400' 2 reelers - Exorcist, Omen, Alien, Amityville Horror, Jaws, Carrie etc..happy days.

Apart from Twins of Evil & Vampire Circus, Hammer films were never so plentiful, although Countess Dracula, Scars of Dracula & Dracula Prince of darkness were released as cut-downs and abridged 72 minute features. DPOD and CD were lousy quality though.
I eventually started collecting films on 16mm & managed to obtain quite a few Hammers.

The inside word is that a company called Synapse intend releasing Twins of Evil, Vampire Circus & Hands of the ripper on Blu-Ray. Release dates are vague but it seems Vampire Circus will be the first out in November...can't wait.
Totally agree with you about TOE - great film but you mention Christopher Lee. Damian Thomas plays Count Karnstein. Got me wondering though what the film would have been like with Lee..don't think he would have suited the particular playboy depiction of the vampire in this film.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 124
RE: Hammer Horror - 31/8/2010 6:56:44 PM   
evil bill

quote:

The small world of film collecting....I even had a Yelco projector at one point. I started with cut downs like The Thing from another World, Witchfinder General, Taste the blood of Dracula, many of the old Universal shorts (Lugosi Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman etc) then progressed to the 400' 2 reelers - Exorcist, Omen, Alien, Amityville Horror, Jaws, Carrie etc..happy days.

Apart from Twins of Evil & Vampire Circus, Hammer films were never so plentiful, although Countess Dracula, Scars of Dracula & Dracula Prince of darkness were released as cut-downs and abridged 72 minute features. DPOD and CD were lousy quality though.
I eventually started collecting films on 16mm & managed to obtain quite a few Hammers.

The inside word is that a company called Synapse intend releasing Twins of Evil, Vampire Circus & Hands of the ripper on Blu-Ray. Release dates are vague but it seems Vampire Circus will be the first out in November...can't wait.
Totally agree with you about TOE - great film but you mention Christopher Lee. Damian Thomas plays Count Karnstein. Got me wondering though what the film would have been like with Lee..don't think he would have suited the particular playboy depiction of the vampire in this film.

Every time i think of Twins Of Evil,i keep on thinking Lee was the Count,but your right it was Damian Thomas,it really has been to long, i need the DVD.Thanks for the Blu Ray news sounds great.On anothere note about the Super 8MM films,i was able to get full versions of THE FURY and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER,i think it was about 6 reels.Had them hired from some place in England,and delivered and collected by TNT or other firm.Of course my dad had to sign for them.
I had a silent B & W version of Scars Of Dracula,The Mummy(Karloff),The Wolf Man (Chaney),Night Of The Demon and Curse Of Frankenstein 200ft.I can't remember the name of the silent Projector i had at this time,it was bought to me by my dad for Xmas.I traded this in for the Yelco,but never went 16MM as i could not afford it,i went for VHS then Laserdisc before DVD and now Blu Ray.

(in reply to filmscene)
Post #: 125
RE: Hammer Horror - 31/8/2010 8:56:42 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I've been feeling a need to watch Taste the Blood of Dracula for a while.  Quality film - kickstarted my fascination for the Lee/Hammer Dracula movies!

Just finished a short review of it,after yet again watching it today.

Three wealthy gentlemen go out during one night of the month for pleasure seeking,and are becoming incredibly bored in what they do in that time.Then they meet Lord Courtley (Ralph Bates) who claims he can give them power if they join him in some ritual to recreate his dead master, but first they have to buy a certain item off a shopkeeper to perform this task. So they meet in a rundown chapel to revive Dracula (Christopher Lee) from his ashes, but they chicken out of fulfilling their end of the bargain and to keep this quiet they kill the servant. Thinking that it will just blow over, how wrong are they as now Dracula has been revived through his servants' corpse and he plans to take vengeance on those three for killing his servant. The story has some big holes, but is one of the better Dracula films in the Hammer series,and one of my favorites. It's hard to explain just what makes it work so well, but the acting, editing and cinematography and music are all so perfectly brought together in the black mass scene that it is startlingly believable.With some fine direction from Peter Sasdy, and loads of Hammer's trademark Gothic trappings,lush Gothic atmosphere,plus the gorgeous Linda Hayden,who appears in a brothel scene with some gratuitous nudity.This has a fair share of blood and sex,as it was now into the 70's and Hammer where out to push the limits along with the new era of film makers.The acting looks a bit Ham at times but then what do we love most about this era of Hammer horror,it's it's overall style.7/10

This was the last of the Hammer series I got to see and was rather disappointed at first, it improves with repeated viewings though.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 126
RE: Hammer Horror - 31/8/2010 9:00:52 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Indeed, an underrated Hammer film, though they were losing their audience a bit in the 70s they still made some fine films. My favourite of those is Vampire Circus, time to watch that one again I think!

my fav Lee Dracula films in order-

1/ Dracula Prince Of Darkness
2/ Dracula
3/ Scars Of Dracula
4/ Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
5/ Taste The Blood Of Dracula
6/ The Satanic Rites Of Dracula
7/ Dracula AD 1972

(in reply to filmscene)
Post #: 127
RE: Hammer Horror - 31/8/2010 9:03:46 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

I would be interested to know members favourite Hammer frankenstein films.

My favourite is probably Curse of Frankenstein followed by Frankenstein must be destroyed.
Interesting to compare the idealistic but callous Baron of Curse (1'st outing) with the utterly ruthless & obsessed character he has become in 'must be destroyed' (5th outing). Peter Cushing is incomparable in both - what an actor!

Evil of Frankenstein is always maligned, in my opinion unfairly. I admit to a strong bias as this was the first horror film I ever saw on television & I had nightmares after. Yes, it's a basic story with no continuity with the 2 previous films & it pays dubious homage to the old Universal films (rampaging villagers, unconvincing Karloff style make up, monster in glacier etc) but it moves at a snappy pace, Cushing is superb as is Peter Woodthorpe as the villainous hypnotist..love their scenes together. Also the set design including the elaborate lab, is spectacular. My main gripe is the dodgy back projection scenes of Cushing (obvious stunt double) in a horse & cart near the end.

and the Frankensteins

1/ Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
2/ Frankenstein Created Woman
3/ Curse Of Frankenstein
4/ Revengs Of Frankenstein
5/ Evil Of Frankenstein
6/ Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell
7/ Horror Of Frankenstein

(in reply to filmscene)
Post #: 128
RE: Hammer Horror - 31/8/2010 10:25:06 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm just watching Taste the Blood of Dracula. Am I the only person who thinks this would ROCK if remade??

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 129
RE: Hammer Horror - 3/9/2010 7:36:06 PM   
evil bill

quote:

I'm just watching Taste the Blood of Dracula. Am I the only person who thinks this would ROCK if remade??

To be honest YES!!!
Anyway here's my review of ;
DRACULA;Prince Of Darkness 1966

First Sequel to the Hammer Studios version of the Dracula Legend teaming Christopher Lee as the Count and his arch enemy Peter Cushing as the famous Vampire hunter Van Helsing,though sadly no Cushing in this one.Two couples traveling in eastern Europe decide to visit Carlstad despite dire local warnings. Left outside the village by a coachman terrified at the approach of night, they find themselves in the local castle and are surprised at the hospitality extended by the sinister Klove. It turns out the owner, Count Dracula, dead for ten years, has been hoping for such a visit.

Dracula Prince Of Darkness is in many ways as good as the first of the Hammer Dracula's,thought it's not actually the first sequel they made.That was The Brides Of Dracula,but that did not have Dracula( Lee )in it, it was another adventure for Peter Cushing's as Van Helsing, the vampire hunter.Lee was not interested in being type cast as Dracula,so it took some time and a decent script to get him back,and of course director Terrence Fisher from the first helped get Lee back.Perhaps Hammer's most effectively horrific Dracula movie of the franchise,full of the sensual mysteriousness Lee which he used to achieve so effortlessly,making him for me the greatest Dracula of them all.The lady Vampires too must get a mention,as i would not turn down being bit by them,especially in this one Barbara Shelley who just lights up the screen as a vamp on heat.Dracula is not revived until half the film is over,when an unlucky guest is strung up by the heels and his throat cut in startlingly gory fashion.His warm blood pours into Dracula's coffin full of his ashes,and soon the vamp is back to his old tricks,though even after that only puts in a few brief appearances.This is typical Hammer here,with  bright colours, beautiful scenes and Gothic sets, great music by James Bernard, and a fine group of actors,all of which you will spot from various Hammer horror movies.But it's Fisher and Lee who in acting and Direction are just fantastic,in fact i think Fisher is a very underrated horror Director.It's his skills here that help turn this Dracula movie into the Franchise it became,using the beautiful and nightmarish shooting location of Bray Studios to full use.Perfect lighting that could match anything Bava at the time could do,and numerous sequences and little details point out that this is the absolute best sequel in the entire cycle of 7 Dracula movie.9/10

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 130
RE: Hammer Horror - 3/9/2010 8:45:48 PM   
Dr Lenera

I gave Dracula Prince Of Darkness 8/10 in my review but I agree with everything you say, especially about Barbara Shelley who besides being gorgeous [especially in this movie] was a fairly good actress too, something that isn't often the case!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 131
RE: Hammer Horror - 3/9/2010 9:51:19 PM   
DazDaMan

Spot on review, that. I really must try to watch all seven films (eight if you include Brides of Dracula) in sequence sometime...!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 132
RE: Hammer Horror - 6/9/2010 12:15:18 PM   
Dr Lenera

I did that once a few years ago over a few weeks, though it's probably better on consecutive nights and I still don't have Satanic Rites Of Dracula on DVD, only a video copy off TV with ads.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 133
RE: Hammer Horror - 6/9/2010 1:52:02 PM   
DazDaMan

I think I got my copy off eBay - Region 0, if I remember right.  Not a great transfer, though.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 134
RE: Hammer Horror - 11/9/2010 7:22:05 AM   
DazDaMan

Actually, I just checked the DVD, and the transfer is actually quite good - there's just a couple of spots where the film gets a tiny bit jumpy.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 135
RE: Hammer Horror - 12/9/2010 2:40:18 AM   
filmscene

Hi Everyone,

I have posted these event details on the golden oldies as a new thread but in case you haven't seen it...

To all you UK Hammer fans, we have organised this all day Halloween event in conjunction with Blotts Country Club in Nottingham.
We are screening what I feel are 4 great films - Frankenstein Created Woman, The Devil Rides Out, The Plague of the Zombies & Dracula, which represent Hammer at their best- hopefully you agree. (there was no way I could justify Slave Girls & The Viking Queen.)

Blotts is a luxurious venue & with food included in the price & table seating, you can enjoy these films in a relaxed atmosphere..basically sit down with a drink & watch Hammer on the Big Screen with fellow fans. Also Nottingham is a good central location, straight up or down the M1

Anyway, hope to see you in Nottingham next month & please spread the word!

For more details visit FilmsceneUK.com

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 136
RE: Hammer Horror - 13/9/2010 1:23:55 PM   
paul.mccluskey

The Satanic Rites of Dracula will get a UK DVD release in 2011, according to Hammer's website !!!

(in reply to filmscene)
Post #: 137
RE: Hammer Horror - 13/9/2010 5:57:38 PM   
DazDaMan

oh sweet!!!

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 138
RE: Hammer Horror - 13/9/2010 7:29:52 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Hi Everyone,

I have posted these event details on the golden oldies as a new thread but in case you haven't seen it...

To all you UK Hammer fans, we have organised this all day Halloween event in conjunction with Blotts Country Club in Nottingham.
We are screening what I feel are 4 great films - Frankenstein Created Woman, The Devil Rides Out, The Plague of the Zombies & Dracula, which represent Hammer at their best- hopefully you agree. (there was no way I could justify Slave Girls & The Viking Queen.)

Blotts is a luxurious venue & with food included in the price & table seating, you can enjoy these films in a relaxed atmosphere..basically sit down with a drink & watch Hammer on the Big Screen with fellow fans. Also Nottingham is a good central location, straight up or down the M1

Anyway, hope to see you in Nottingham next month & please spread the word!

For more details visit FilmsceneUK.com

Sounds like a great Halloween night out,but i'll be stuck here with Christmas round the corner,Santa's going to be busy in this house.
quote:

paul.mccluskey
The Satanic Rites of Dracula will get a UK DVD release in 2011, according to Hammer's website !!!

Great news hope it's been restored like Dracula 1958.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 13/9/2010 7:33:50 PM >

(in reply to filmscene)
Post #: 139
RE: Hammer Horror - 30/9/2010 10:11:27 AM   
kargon

I know it's not a Hammer film, but i watched Monster Club last nite, roy ward baker throwing his last hand in i think after the end of Hammer. Awful film but watchable awful like alot of the Britsh horror output, not all may i add though, I love my Amicus and Hammer

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 140
RE: Hammer Horror - 3/10/2010 5:33:05 PM   
Dr Lenera

THE MUMMY  [1959]

At the turn of the century Steve Banning leads an expedition to Egypt to unearth the tomb of Princess Ananka. He succeeds but inside finds the mummy of Kharis, who was buried alive for trying to bring his love Ananka back to life and is now her guardian, and the Scroll Of Life which can supposedly revive the dead. As his son John, who has a bad leg, waits outside he hears a scream coming from inside the tomb. Six years later in England and Steve is now a supposed lunatic in a mental asylum. An Eygptian called Mehemet arrives in England with Kharis ready to kill off those who desecrated Ananka's tomb.........

Watching The Mummy after watching all the Universal mummy movies makes it apparent that Hammer's version is basically a compendium of all the films in the older series. The basic plot is mainly The Mummy's Tomb, but there's also the opening from the 1932 The Mummy where a foolhardy archaeologist uses the Scroll Of Life to revive the mummy, the swamp rising from The Mummy's Curse, the swamp climax from The Mummy's Ghost, and countless other borrowings. Hammer were able to do this because they had just done a distribution deal with Universal which allowed them to use their material, unlike their versions of Frankenstein [The Curse of Frankenstein] and Dracula which were quite different from the original films. Jimmy Sangster was able to shape all this into a coherent plot and even writes some fine dialogue scenes, such as an excellent sequence where John visits Mehemet and tries to provoke him into giving himself away. He only really throws aways the idea of a modern woman being Ananka's reincarnation, though there is a touching scene of the mummy seeing her for the first time, looking at her longingly and outstretching his hands. Unlike the earlier mummies , Christopher Lee's Kharis is a fast moving and powerful menace that can crash through windows, rip off grating and even climb through a ledge into an asylum cell. He's also more brutal, though shots of him snapping a man's spine and a tongue being cut out were not used in the final print [though as with other Hammer films there are rumours the Japanese print had the cut footage]. The Egyptian sets and the flashback have far more detail and are far more authentic than the earlier movies and Jack Asher's colour photography is at it's best and most dreamlike here, especially during the atmospheric swamp scenes where the set is sometimes bathed in blue and red. Expertly directed and paced by Terence Fisher, this is probably the most entertaining all round mummy film. It is extremely derivative of the previous series though. 8/10

THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB [1964]

In the Egyptian desert, a group of bandits kill an archeaologist and cut off his hand. Meanwhile elsewhere more explorers have found the tomb of Ra-Intef, who thousands of years ago was murdered by his brother Be. Be was then cursed to walk the earth for eternity. The group's financier, Alexander King, wants to take the mummy on tour around the world and hopes to become rich. Despite objections from the Egyptian government and some strange murder attempts, the tomb is taken on a boat to London, but who is Adam, the strange man who is interested in Annette, the expedition's only female member? Then, on the first evening of the show, the tomb is opened and the mummy is gone...........

Decidedly inferior to The Mummy, The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb was originally intended to feature a giant mummy battling tanks and helicopters, but then it was realised the budget wouldn't allow for anything like that. The film wins points for some original story elements, such as the mummy's brother being doomed to immortality [shades of The Wandering Jew?], but director and writer Micheal Carreras [son of Hammer honcho James Carreras] fails to shape things into a decent screenplay. Even worse, the film wastes two thirds of it's running time until the mummy awakes, with much padding involving endless talk about how bad it is to steal Egyptian relics, two flashbacks, and an uninteresting love triangle. Of course there's nothing wrong with a good build up, but too much of this movie is dull and suspense c ertainly isn't built. It also doesn't help that the three main cast members are colourless , but there is a great turn by Fred Clark as King, who is given some rather good lines too, while George Pastell returns to play pretty much the same character as he did before, though with a different first name. Once the mummy is awakened the film does get quite good, with some good deaths, the best where Ra smashes his foot down upon a man's neck-you see nothing, but the horrid sound effects fill you in. Rather more atmospheric is a great scene where a victim-to-be ascends a fog-shrouded flight of steps only to be knocked down them to his death. This mummy, played by Dickie Owen , is rather porkier but is handled in quite a creepy way, with a bluish colouring, heavily augmented breathing and seemingly no mouth. The sewer climax is fairly well staged but the tiny budget shows teribly with some very unconvincing desert backdrops and some laughable severed hands. Overall The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb has far too many problems to be a good film and is easily the weakest of the Hammer series, but there are points of interest and good moments if you are prepared to wait for them. 5/10

THE MUMMY'S SHROUD [1967]

When ancient Egypt is torn by civil war, the young pharoah Kah-To-Bey is hurried to safety by his loyal bodyguard Prem, but the boy dies and is buried, to be guarded by Prem and a line of priests. Also buried is a scroll which, if read from, can bring Prem back to life. Fast forward to 1920 and an expedition, bankrolled by unscrupulous millionaire Stanley Preston, finds Kah-To-Bey's tomb and, despite being threatened to stop by the sinister Hashmid, take the body of Kah-To-Bey to Cairo. However, one member of the group, Basil Warden, regrets what they have done and goes mad. Visiting a fortune teller, Haiti, he is told he will die there and then. She's actually in league with Hashmid to kill off the desecrators using Prem, and Basil is first.........

A considerable improvement on The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Shoud was the last Hammer film to be shot at Bray Studios, and it is undemanding fun. A little more research was done, with the mummy looking a lot more like a proper Egyptian mummy and the skeleton of the boy also looking disturbingly realistic [it was modelled on one in the British Musuem]. Things are a little unpromising at first, with no attempt being made to hide the fact that all the desert scenes are obviously taking place in one large pit filled with sand, and with another very long and talky build up [though nowhere near as laborious as the previous film's]. However it does have some mounting tension and the use of one major set actually works rather well, giving the film some of that dreamlike atmosphere that all the classic Hammer horrors have. After Prem has been awoken, courtesy of a startling shot of his eyes cracking open, director John Gilling gives us some murder set pieces which, though low on gore, are immensely effective, often stylishly filmed [one victim to be loses his glasses and we glimpse the mummy as a blur] and better those in the previous two films, including a guy being wrapped in bedding and being thrown out of a window, another guy's head being crushed [off screen with horrible sound effects, though the effect was shot and not used] and acid being squeezed onto a writhing victim, whereupon the mummy casually strides off as the man catches fire. The mummy, here played by stuntman Eddie Powell [who had doubled for Christopher Lee] is a truly brutal and relentless creature, and also has a great demise, literally tearing himself to death. Most of the cast are okay rather than great [except for leading lady Maggie Kimberley, who is abysmal], but Catherine Lacey is fun as Marta and Hammer character actor favourite Micheal Ripper, usually seen in very small roles [including two in the previous mummy films], has a great and fairly prominent role as the bullied, mouse-like Micheal Longbarrow. The Mummy's Shroud never quite breaks out of mediocrity to become a minor classic but it's enjoyable all the same and does the best it can with its material. 6/10

BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB [1971]

Margeret Fuchs suffers from a recurring nightmare in which the ancient Eygptian queen Tera, who was an evil sorceress, has her hand cut off and is then buried alive. Afterwards, a strange force kills all the people present. On her birthday, Margeret is given a ruby ring by her father, the same ring that, twenty years before, he had taken from Tera's severed hand when he and some others found Tera's tomb and her body perfectly preserved. That same day, his wife had died giving birth to Margeret. Now, the sinister Corback wants to resurrect Tera, who seems to possess Margeret, but first he must obtain some relics which are in the possession of the men who desecrated Tera's tomb.....

Based on The Jewel Of The Seven Stars by Bram Stoker, and later remade as the inferior The Awakening, this is strictly speaking not a mummy movie, but then you could almost say that about the 1932 The Mummy, as the creature only walks in one scene and even then is only partially seen. Blood From The Mummy's Tomb was plagued with problems, with original star Peter Cushing's wife dying and being replaced by Andrew Keir, and director Seth Holt dying before completion. Micheal Carreras took over and had to do the best he could with reams of footage with no entrances and exits . Despite all this, this is easily better then the two previous films and in my opinion just about betters the 1959 movie. Set seemingly in 1971 but with vintage cars, it is a bit disjointed [unsurprisingly] and the very complex plot is sometimes vague and could have used another half hour, but Christopher Wicking's intriguing script has a few surprises [with at least two unexpected deaths] along with a few elements from previous films such as the Scroll Of Life and dismemberment. It's very atmospheric and at times achieves a real otherworldly ambience, with lots of shots of space and a haunting score by Tristram Cary. The murders, with the victims being killed by the possessed relics, are quite frightening and there's loads of blood, with oozing stumps, cuts appearing on faces and lots of gruesomely cut throats. The gorgeous Valerie Leon does quite well as Margeret/Tera and there are strong performances from Keir and James Villiers as the two men fighting for control of her. Sadly the climax is rather feeble- supposedly a more spectacular ending was envisaged, but there's a nicely ambiguous coda. I think that with a bit more time spent on it this could have been one of the real Hammer classics- as it is it's an interesting effort that is intermittently striking and is still one of the best of their 70s movies. 8/10

Post #: 141
RE: Hammer Horror - 3/10/2010 5:37:33 PM   
Dr Lenera

Was inspired to do this after watching lots of the Universal films.  I watched all four Hammer mummy films throughout yesterday-I was off work sick!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 142
RE: Hammer Horror - 4/10/2010 8:00:01 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Was inspired to do this after watching lots of the Universal films.  I watched all four Hammer mummy films throughout yesterday-I was off work sick!

Glad your off sick mate as you have done a fine job here,i'll have to dig out more of my Lee Dracula DVD's and give them a spin.
BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB [1971]
Now this one i have not seen,loved THE MUMMY with Cushing and Lee,have it on DVD,but going by your rating this is as good as??so i'll have to uncover this one.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 143
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/11/2010 8:21:00 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Hammer are re-releasing Horror of Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein and The Mummy on DVD next year, so that's good news for those of you who don't own them .

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 144
RE: Hammer Horror - 22/11/2010 9:52:18 AM   
DazDaMan

Can anyone tell me whether the 1958 Dracula has been released on DVD in the UK?? I can find it as Region 1, or Region 0 on eBay, but I'm loathe to click "buy" in case it's the same as the one I already have....

Post #: 145
RE: Hammer Horror - 22/11/2010 11:40:08 AM   
paul.mccluskey

You can get it on Region 2 as a European import Daz, but wait till next year since Hammer are bringing it out again .

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 146
RE: Hammer Horror - 23/11/2010 5:02:43 PM   
paul.mccluskey

It has been announced that Ingrid Pitt has died aged 73.

RIP.

Post #: 147
RE: Hammer Horror - 23/11/2010 5:21:26 PM   
DazDaMan

A real shame.

Did not know she had a liking for WW2 aircraft...!

Post #: 148
RE: Hammer Horror - 23/11/2010 7:38:39 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Ingrid Pitt
quote:

A real shame.

Did not know she had a liking for WW2 aircraft...!

Loved her in The Vampire Lovers,Countess Dracula and of course The Wicker Man,and a great role in a non related movie Where Eagles Dare.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 149
RE: Hammer Horror - 14/12/2010 8:43:35 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Vampire Circus is getting released on DVD on 14th March 2011.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: Hammer Horror Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI