Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Hammer Horror

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Hammer Horror Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hammer Horror - 21/2/2008 6:28:06 PM   
matty_b

Wasn't sure whether to put this in favourite films or not, but I thought the era made it more appropriate here. So I thought it'd be interesting to see if there's many Hammer Horror fans out there, to discuss their faves, and maybe even ridicule the really terrible ones

Rewatched a personal favourite of mine last night - Quatermass and the Pit. Subtle, eerie and the final twenty minutes of London tearing itself apart is superbly marshalled. Any other fans?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 1
RE: Hammer Horror - 21/2/2008 7:08:53 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I love the Hammer Horror films!  You can't beat them.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2
RE: Hammer Horror - 21/2/2008 8:27:03 PM   
Oddjob

I love old horror films in general, & think that they're much better than most modern horrors.

One of the first Hammer films I saw, which remains a firm favourite, is Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde.  I also like the Hammer version of Hound of the Baskervilles, & it's a shame that they didn't make any further Sherlock Holmes films.

I bought the Hammer boxset just before Christmas, but have yet to watch every film in it.  The Devil Rides Out is a favourite, but the less said about The Reptile the better.  It's OK, but not much happens until the end.

Recently watched Rasputin for the first time, & enjoyed it despite it bringing to mind the Boney M song!

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 3
RE: Hammer Horror - 21/2/2008 8:31:00 PM   
evil bill

I grew upon a diet of late night friday's BBC 1 double horror bill,always at least one Hammer Horror every week.Started this thread a while ago Cushing&Lee http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1366951 but Hammer did a lot more than just the Cushing Lee movies,so nice to see this thread up and going.

And here's a new Hammer Horror offical site http://www.hammerfilms.com/

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4
RE: Hammer Horror - 23/2/2008 11:32:35 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

I grew upon a diet of late night friday's BBC 1 double horror bill,always at least one Hammer Horror every week.Started this thread a while ago Cushing&Lee http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1366951 but Hammer did a lot more than just the Cushing Lee movies,so nice to see this thread up and going.

And here's a new Hammer Horror offical site http://www.hammerfilms.com/

That website well and truly scared the crap out of me!

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 5
RE: Hammer Horror - 29/2/2008 6:40:20 PM   
matty_b

quote:

I bought the Hammer boxset just before Christmas, but have yet to watch every film in it.  The Devil Rides Out is a favourite, but the less said about The Reptile the better

Yep, that's the boxset I bought and I watched The Reptile today. Quite enjoyed it actually - it has the gloomy, grim atmosphere that Hammer did so well, even if it is a bit slow. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb is good too, but She is a bit pants - Ursula Andress may have been stunning, but was not a great actress!

I've also bought the Hammer Horror series on region 1. 8 films on 2 double-sided discs including two of the best - Curse of the Werewolf and Brides of Dracula!

quote:

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 6
RE: Hammer Horror - 29/2/2008 9:00:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

I bought the Hammer boxset just before Christmas, but have yet to watch every film in it.  The Devil Rides Out is a favourite, but the less said about The Reptile the better

Yep, that's the boxset I bought and I watched The Reptile today. Quite enjoyed it actually - it has the gloomy, grim atmosphere that Hammer did so well, even if it is a bit slow. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb is good too, but She is a bit pants - Ursula Andress may have been stunning, but was not a great actress!

I've also bought the Hammer Horror series on region 1. 8 films on 2 double-sided discs including two of the best - Curse of the Werewolf and Brides of Dracula!

Just loved Oliver Reed in :

I've also got DRACULA,FRANKENSTEN MUST BE DISTORYED,CURSE OF FRANKENSTEN,THE MUMMY,DEVIL RIDES OUT,TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA,PRINCE OF DARKENESS,SHE,and a few others i must dig out.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 7
RE: Hammer Horror - 12/3/2008 8:55:10 PM   
Dr Lenera

Love Hammer films [well,except the odd disaster like Dracula AD 1972],I used to sneak downstairs as a kid and watch them when my parents had gone to bed,was often scared! Of course they don't seem scary anymore but I still find them immensely enjoyable to watch.  Some of my favourites are
The Devil Rides Out 
The Gorgon  [not on DVD yet,a real shame!]
Vampire Circus
Frankenstein Created Woman
And
The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires,it's a bad movie,but such fun!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 8
RE: Hammer Horror - 12/3/2008 9:02:46 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Love Hammer films [well,except the odd disaster like Dracula AD 1972],I used to sneak downstairs as a kid and watch them when my parents had gone to bed,was often scared! Of course they don't seem scary anymore but I still find them immensely enjoyable to watch.  Some of my favourites are
The Devil Rides Out 
Vampire Circus
And

I remmber watching DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS on BBC1 one friday night double bill of horror,and could not belive my eyes as some sap had his throat cut above Draculas coffin,and you saw the warm blood gush down.This version has never been on TV again.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 9
RE: Hammer Horror - 13/3/2008 8:28:43 PM   
Porrohman

quote:

quote:

The Devil Rides Out 
Vampire Circus
And

I remmber watching DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS on BBC1 one friday night double bill of horror,and could not belive my eyes as some sap had his throat cut above Draculas coffin,and you saw the warm blood gush down.This version has never been on TV again.

I saw that on itv 4 late last year.
I remember thinking bloody hell i can`t remember this film being that gruesome.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 10
RE: Hammer Horror - 13/3/2008 8:35:13 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Porrohman

quote:

quote:

The Devil Rides Out 
Vampire Circus
And

I saw that on itv 4 late last year.
I remember thinking bloody hell i can`t remember this film being that gruesome.

Bloody Hell!!! i missed it theni've always wanted to see that version again,as i was'nt sure if i was dreaming or not,but had read there was a bloodyer version and there i go and miss it.I remmber being shocked cause a week or two before they had Dracula(1958) on and it seemed tame,then WAM!!!

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 11
RE: Hammer Horror - 13/3/2008 9:29:34 PM   
Dr Lenera

Yeah,I remember seeing Dracula Prince Of Darkness on TV many years ago and then a couple of years later. The second time,I taped it but was so disappointed it was missing the shot of the stake going into Barbara Shelley.  I thought for a while I had just imagined the scene!  Later on,I bought the video and it was STILL missing!   Of course the Anchor Bay DVD  [with a great commentary by some of the cast incl. Christopher Lee]  is complete,not sure about the UK DVD.

Similar with Taste The Blood Of Dracula.  TV showings seemed to alternate between a probably 'full' version and a chopped up version which cut the [already quite tame] killings and a bit of stuff in a brothel.  I think that ITV had uncut versions and BBC had cut versions,or maybe it was the other way round!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 12
RE: Hammer Horror - 16/3/2008 7:19:19 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Yeah,I remember seeing Dracula Prince Of Darkness on TV many years ago and then a couple of years later. The second time,I taped it but was so disappointed it was missing the shot of the stake going into Barbara Shelley.  I thought for a while I had just imagined the scene!  Later on,I bought the video and it was STILL missing!   Of course the Anchor Bay DVD  [with a great commentary by some of the cast incl. Christopher Lee]  is complete,not sure about the UK DVD.

Similar with Taste The Blood Of Dracula.  TV showings seemed to alternate between a probably 'full' version and a chopped up version which cut the [already quite tame] killings and a bit of stuff in a brothel.  I think that ITV had uncut versions and BBC had cut versions,or maybe it was the other way round!

It was the other way round,the BBC seem to give movie's of this type a green light as long as it's after 10pm.Chanel4 also are good at showing full versions of horror movies,like Scars Of Dracula the bloodyest of the Hammer movies,it was on 4 uncut about a year ago.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 13
RE: Hammer Horror - 17/3/2008 10:21:21 AM   
vikta

When I was a teenager, I used to drag a mattress into the lounge and watch hammer horror films dusk till dawn (when they were on...)  Faves included the Mummy series, Lust for a Vampire and there was one called the Cat Goddess that had my attention for years.  (Can't find that name for the film but it was about an Egyptian mummy attached to the cat goddess Pasht/Bastet - loved it!)

"Send me a tangy lemon..."

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14
RE: Hammer Horror - 17/3/2008 4:41:50 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: vikta

When I was a teenager, I used to drag a mattress into the lounge and watch hammer horror films dusk till dawn (when they were on...)  Faves included the Mummy series, Lust for a Vampire and there was one called the Cat Goddess that had my attention for years.  (Can't find that name for the film but it was about an Egyptian mummy attached to the cat goddess Pasht/Bastet - loved it!)

That film you're thinking off is Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, starring Valerie Leon and Andrew Keir.  A brilliant Hammer film, very underrated.

Lust for a Vampire was awful!  Hammer's worst film in my opinion.

My DVD Collection

(in reply to vikta)
Post #: 15
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 1:49:01 AM   
vikta

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: vikta

That film you're thinking off is Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, starring Valerie Leon and Andrew Keir.  A brilliant Hammer film, very underrated.

Lust for a Vampire was awful!  Hammer's worst film in my opinion.

Been doing a little research on this myself...  Maybe it wasn't a Hammer Horror but The Cat Creature (1973)...  Lust for a Vampire  - okay so maybe it was adolescent hormones kicking in...

"Send me a tangy lemon..."

Post #: 16
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 12:02:26 PM   
Porrohman

Just seen the trailer for Beyond the rave on myspace.
Looks f***ing  pish!

(in reply to vikta)
Post #: 17
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 12:41:22 PM   
paul.mccluskey

It's only Hammer in name.  No way will it be as superb as the old days.

My DVD Collection

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 18
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 12:42:50 PM   
Porrohman

Yeah,just looks like some cheapo vampire bilge with crappy techno music.

Post #: 19
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 6:27:48 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Porrohman

Yeah,just looks like some cheapo vampire bilge with crappy techno music.

Yep looks CRAP!!!! but as already been said,it's not going to detract from the glory days of Hammer Films.And the good news is the back catalog is having a Re Vamp oops! restored and remastered,like DRACULA(1958) has even had a rerun at some cinemas.

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 20
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 6:39:14 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Bill, do you know by any chance if the old catalogue is getting a DVD re-release?  I'd like to add The Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, and The Satanic Rites of Dracula to my collection, the last 2 films fully uncut !

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 18/3/2008 6:43:30 PM >

My DVD Collection

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 21
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 6:49:10 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Bill, do you know by any chance if the old catalogue is getting a DVD re-release?  I'd like to add The Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, and The Satanic Rites of Dracula to my collection.

The one's in bold print are already out on DVD,but not remastered,though they are great quality prints.From what i've been reading expect the fully restored/remastered and uncut versions of Dracula,Curse Of Frankenstein and The Mummy later this year on DVDAs for the rest fingers crossed,i've already got two box sets of Hammer movies.

Post #: 22
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 6:53:01 PM   
paul.mccluskey

The Curse of Frankenstein is out of print , and Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is missing about a minute of gore.

I just found out about a Dracula re-release !  Excellent!

My DVD Collection

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 23
RE: Hammer Horror - 18/3/2008 8:31:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

The Curse of Frankenstein is out of print , and Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is missing about a minute of gore.

I just found out about a Dracula re-release !  Excellent!

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) you can get on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curse-Frankenstein-Peter-Cushing/dp/B0002VF5KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1205871716&sr=1-1
And Horror Of Dracula is DRACULA(1958) silly me,in the US it was Horror Of .Universal where not to happy with Hammer,so for copyright reasons at the time, they changed titles.They also could not use the same make up effects for Frankenstein at the time,and i''m glad they didn't,could have been a disaster instead of a box office hit.

Post #: 24
RE: Hammer Horror - 21/3/2008 7:52:41 AM   
matty_b

Been making my way through the boxsets recently...Curse of the Werewolf and Brides of Dracula were as excellent as I remember, but One Million Years BC (I always forget that this one is a Hammer film) I found tedious, and not even some decent Harryhausen fx enlivened it. Dracula, Prince of Darkness was good as was Frankenstein Created Woman.

I've watched Rasputin the Mad Monk too, and can't say it's became a favourite

quote:

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 25
RE: Hammer Horror - 22/3/2008 9:04:22 AM   
matty_b

Watched The Devil Rides Out and Kiss of the Vampire last night - the former probably one of Hammer's best 5 and the latter was great too.

Also, not a Hammer film, but just watched Blood on Satan's Claw as well - freaky, disturbing stuff. Ever wanted to watch Frank Spencer's wife caught in a bear trap?

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 26
RE: Hammer Horror - 22/3/2008 10:53:47 AM   
Porrohman

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Watched The Devil Rides Out and Kiss of the Vampire last night - the former probably one of Hammer's best 5 and the latter was great too.

Also, not a Hammer film, but just watched Blood on Satan's Claw as well - freaky, disturbing stuff. Ever wanted to watch Frank Spencer's wife caught in a bear trap?

I love that film.and i think its still pretty creepy today.Also memorable for a certain miss linda hayden

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27
RE: Hammer Horror - 22/3/2008 2:04:27 PM   
matty_b

Ooooooooh yeah

quote:

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 28
RE: Hammer Horror - 22/3/2008 3:38:32 PM   
Porrohman

ooh aye,helped me through a difficult childhood.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 29
RE: Hammer Horror - 22/3/2008 4:28:26 PM   
matty_b

Helped me through a difficult last night...

Too much info?

Anyway, just watched Horror of Frankenstein (making good use of the bank holiday as you can see) - one of the least impressive Hammer efforts overall. Ralph Bates was great as a very droll Baron Frankenstein and there were two super supporting performances from Kate O'Mara () but the whole thing was just limp and didn't add much to the Frankenstein mythos or Hammer's reputation.

quote:

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Hammer Horror Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI