Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Too Human

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Too Human Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Too Human - 21/2/2008 3:17:48 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I hope they ditch the Vampire sub plot or at least narrow it down and concentrate on the three leads simply getting on.

But that would just end up as a supernatural sit com, or maybe a supernatural soap opera, since there seemed to be angst than comedy.

I think shows like this need some kind of on-going story arc, to keep the momentum going and give the characters some interesting motivation. Plus, I was intrigued by the description of what the ghost saw after she died.....

True, it does need a sub plot/on-going story but the Vampire scenes were by far the weakest in the show and really were a cop-out as a plot device. That single scene about the 'corridor' afterlife outclassed all the vamp bullshit put together.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 31
RE: Too Human - 21/2/2008 3:43:00 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

True, it does need a sub plot/on-going story but the Vampire scenes were by far the weakest in the show and really were a cop-out as a plot device. That single scene about the 'corridor' afterlife outclassed all the vamp bullshit put together.

I have a feeling that it will all turn out to be related, somehow.

And the vampire meeting to plan to take over the world wasn't the best bit, but I was intrigued by the history it hinted at, especially of the main vampire character (still can't remember his name). I wonder how old he is?

By the way, if you're into werewolf/vampire stull you should read some Carrie Vaughn, she has a really interesting take on it.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 32
RE: Too Human - 21/2/2008 6:49:32 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I take back the backwater then - but still - Bristol, centre of the international vamp conspiracy?!

Clearly, you've never been to Bristol...

I really, REALLY hope this gets picked up as a series, because it left me with so many questions I want answered!!
Like, Why did Herrick say "thanks" to Mitchell, and why did Mitchell get so angry about it?
The after-death-vision thing has lots of potential, too.
How long can Mitchell stay on the wagon? What happens to vampires if they stop drinking blood?

The vampires-take-over-world arc has problems, but there's got to be something wider going on to keep the story going, otherwise it's just Friends, with slightly odder friends.

Anyone know if there's any way we can put pressure on the Beeb to get this pilot made into a show?

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: Too Human - 21/2/2008 7:51:49 PM   
Fletcher

I think they are trialing a few pilots on BBC3 over the next few weeks and seeing if they are successful before picking them up for a proper series. Though if as someone has mentioned that Phoo Action can get a series then this surely has too, right?

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 34
RE: Too Human - 21/2/2008 9:09:02 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

Yeah, I heard that -- just wondering how the BBC are planning to judge "successful"?

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 35
RE: Too Human - 21/1/2009 12:48:31 PM   
fuzzy

New series 6-part series starting on BBC3 this Sunday then - 9pm. Not the best scheduling in the world, seeing as the new series of Lost starts the same time on Sky1. Anywoo, it appears the entire cast (except the guy who plays George the werewolf) has changed and apparently the tone will be slightly different - more comedic and rooted, less gothic, hmmm. Also the pilot will not follow the series' canon.

Post #: 36
RE: Too Human - 21/1/2009 12:58:25 PM   
elab49

I don't think we can call it a canon per se as this is a reworking - they've dropped the vampire sub-plot they were going to set up from the pilot.

Also - it is repeated 10.30pm on Monday. Although some of us won't be wasting our time on Lost, so it will normally be Sunday

Not this one though - there is an interesting looking Burns comedy on. And just think of the poor saps who also watch Supernatural - also starting Sunday at 9pm!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 37
RE: Too Human - 21/1/2009 1:03:49 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

And just think of the poor saps who also watch Supernatural - also starting Sunday at 9pm!

Tell me about it! I thought Thursdays were going to be bad enough (thank god for +1s). I'll Sky+ Being Human later on Sunday night, repeated after 12 I think.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 38
RE: Too Human - 21/1/2009 1:06:38 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

New series 6-part series starting on BBC3 this Sunday then - 9pm. Not the best scheduling in the world, seeing as the new series of Lost starts the same time on Sky1. Anywoo, it appears the entire cast (except the guy who plays George the werewolf) has changed and apparently the tone will be slightly different - more comedic and rooted, less gothic, hmmm. Also the pilot will not follow the series' canon.

Does anyone know why Russell Tovey is the only original cast member left in it?

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 39
RE: Too Human - 21/1/2009 1:27:56 PM   
elab49

As far as I'm aware they didn't have a hope in hell of keeping Riseborough - her star has shot far too high. Don't know why they changed the vampire, though - perhaps he wasn't interested in a series?

Sunday night repeat is 12.15 - Mondays is 1.15am, sign language Wed 3.40 am

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 40
RE: Too Human - 22/1/2009 1:38:00 PM   
kathryn2

Well I'm glad to see they are giving this a crack at the whip - even if it does look like they're changing the tone, story and cast almost entirely...

I'm glad that Tovey will still be in it- thought he was brilliant in the pilot.

Fortunately I don't have scheduling conflicts, since I don't watch Lost or Supernatural!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Too Human - 22/1/2009 3:42:53 PM   
Mozza

I'm looking forward to this; this was by far the best of those pilots BBC3 did.

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 42
RE: Too Human - 27/1/2009 10:26:42 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

Well, I had my doubts - I loved Guy Flanagan as Mitchell Version 1.0 and was gutted they re-cast him; although very happy they got Her What Was Sugar In Sugar Shock as Annie the Ghost Mk 2, because I wasn't a big fan of Riseborough, rising star or no.

But NewMitchell has utterly won me over and I have developed a scarily involved obsession with him in a really short space of time.  The last time I got this fixated on a character was when Spike was introduced on Buffy. Ahh, fond memories...

Anyhoo, the vampires-revealed plot has potentially massive downsides, but I like the fact George is getting his time to shine next week and that Annie had more "ghostly" moments than in the pilot - where she may as well not have been a ghost at all after her introduction.

The acting was great, far as I'm concerned, and the script hit all the right notes - some fantastic laugh-out-loud moments and a really touching scene with George and Annie.

My only complaint (so far at least) is that BBC Three says this week's was the first of a six-part series. ONLY 6 EPISODES?!? Dammit, I'm going to need a lot more than that!

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 43
RE: Too Human - 27/1/2009 10:35:48 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead
My only complaint (so far at least) is that BBC Three says this week's was the first of a six-part series. ONLY 6 EPISODES?!? Dammit, I'm going to need a lot more than that!

Yeah but most UK shows only have around 6 - 8 episodes per season so it's to be expected really.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 44
RE: Too Human - 27/1/2009 10:46:47 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Yeah but most UK shows only have around 6 - 8 episodes per season so it's to be expected really.

And yet the grindingly mediocre 'Demons' will probably roll on, revelling in its own tedium and godawful fight-choreography, for the rest of time. *sigh*

While my new Mitchell-fixation is honestly rivalling my long-standing Spike-fixation.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 45
Being Human - 28/1/2009 10:14:08 AM   
DJ Satan

I saw it this morning and I loved it. I kept thinking that this is the first British series in ages that can rival the current US output.

Great characters with the lots of potential. It's a shame if it's only going to be 6 episodes. I just hope they get a season 2 already, unlike Ultraviolet.

The only problem was I got a sense that there was quite a few things I missed as I didn't see the pilot - is it worth tracking down?

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 46
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 10:57:33 AM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Great characters with the lots of potential. It's a shame if it's only going to be 6 episodes. I just hope they get a season 2 already, unlike Ultraviolet.

I remember that!! God, I loved that series; had some fantastic potential and I was really disappointed it sort of faded off-air and didn't get picked up for a second series. Might have to see if I can find it on DVD...

Anyhoo, the Being Human pilot was great - most of the actors have been re-cast, though. In fact only the vampire Seth and Russell Tovey as George are the same actors, so that might be a little weird - but it is worth tracking down. The first episode of the series has kept pretty much all of the plot-points of the pilot, and it opens with Mitchell's night with Lauren and establishes how they start seeing Annie, so if you can find it, it's definately worth watching.

....and if you do find it online can you let me know where? I'd like to see it again myself

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 47
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 11:04:47 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Wasn't that fella from This Life and Pirates... Jack Davenport! (I remembered his name as I typed the sentence. I could have just deleted the sentence, but hey.) Wasn't Jack Davenport in Ultraviolet? I thought that was an ok series.

I missed the original pilot of Being Human but by the sounds of it, it's probably as well so I don't get confused by the minor changes. I thought it got the balance of humour and horror nicely and, as has been said, is like a British Buffy with 20-somethings instead of teens.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 48
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 11:20:49 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

I remember that!! God, I loved that series; had some fantastic potential and I was really disappointed it sort of faded off-air and didn't get picked up for a second series. Might have to see if I can find it on DVD...

That's the one. Link. Apparently the writer "didn't know where to take it" which is why no more was made. Madness!

quote:

Anyhoo, the Being Human pilot was great - most of the actors have been re-cast, though. In fact only the vampire Seth and Russell Tovey as George are the same actors, so that might be a little weird - but it is worth tracking down. The first episode of the series has kept pretty much all of the plot-points of the pilot, and it opens with Mitchell's night with Lauren and establishes how they start seeing Annie, so if you can find it, it's definately worth watching.

I did wonder if it had more to do with Mitchell and Lauren and how the three housemates actually met. The first episode did a good job of introducing the characters while indicating that there was history there - I just didn't know how much history was in the pilot.

Post #: 49
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 11:51:16 AM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Wasn't that fella from This Life and Pirates... Jack Davenport! (I remembered his name as I typed the sentence. I could have just deleted the sentence, but hey.) Wasn't Jack Davenport in Ultraviolet? I thought that was an ok series.

Yep, had Jack Davenport in it! And yeah, I rated him in it, too.

quote:

I missed the original pilot of Being Human but by the sounds of it, it's probably as well so I don't get confused by the minor changes. I thought it got the balance of humour and horror nicely and, as has been said, is like a British Buffy with 20-somethings instead of teens.

quote:

I did wonder if it had more to do with Mitchell and Lauren and how the three housemates actually met. The first episode did a good job of introducing the characters while indicating that there was history there - I just didn't know how much history was in the pilot.

The minor changes aren't confusing, and there's a bit you might need to know, so I can reccomend tracking it down online if you can. I've managed to find a few links to it - if I find a good one I'll get back to you!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 50
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 11:52:16 AM   
kathryn2

I just saw this last night - thought it did a good job of re-capping background from the pilot and moving the story on. Though it does seem that one or two potential plotlines have been dropped, and new ones introduced instead.

I'm loving Tovey as George - but I hope the screeching gets toned down, I think that was a bit over the top. Other than that he does nervous and distraught beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him next week.

I did miss the quirkiness of the original ghost-woman from the pilot a bit, but I'm sure I'll get used to the new version.

I'd like to see more of the Vampire-lore being explained in subsequent episodes - obviously they're not your Buffy-style catch on fire in sunlight vamps.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 51
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 11:53:37 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

Yes it was the lovely & gorgeous Jack Davenport in Ultraviolet.

You can pick Ultraviolet the complete series up for about a tenner. Great show.

I missed Being Human as I had to choose between that and Supernatural.  Does anyone know if it is being repeated?

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 52
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 11:56:00 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

Yes it was the lovely & gorgeous Jack Davenport in Ultraviolet.

You can pick Ultraviolet the complete series up for about a tenner. Great show.

I missed Being Human as I had to choose between that and Supernatural.  Does anyone know if it is being repeated?

It's available on iPlayer.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 53
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 11:57:42 AM   
Harley Quinn

Thank you.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 54
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 12:06:45 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

Okey dokey, you can watch the pilot in sections at YouTube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cy5ftKy2Qhw

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 55
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 4:14:46 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Saw the first episode of the new series last night and I must say I was impressed. The effects were very good overall mind you the fully developed werewolf was a bit ropey. The story was good too and will be catching it again. Sunday nights though are such a nightmare now all the good stuff is on at the same time like Thursdays and then Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays theres nothing. Still gives me time to catch up! 

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 56
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 4:50:23 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

Saw the first episode of the new series last night and I must say I was impressed. The effects were very good overall mind you the fully developed werewolf was a bit ropey. The story was good too and will be catching it again. Sunday nights though are such a nightmare now all the good stuff is on at the same time like Thursdays and then Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays theres nothing. Still gives me time to catch up! 

It reminded me of the werewolves in Dog Soldiers and a bit of the Oz-wolf in the 'Phases' episode of Buffy (they changed the wolf's look after that. [/geek] ). I liked the eyes - they were really intense. The transformation itself was top of the pops - and even in An American Werewolf in London, the fully transformed wolf looks bollocks! I think it's the best we can expect on a television budget.

I re-watched the pilot episode earlier, and I have to say I am now more pleased than ever with the re-casting. Having the overall tone of the show as lighter than the pilot really works and Aidan Turner's Mitchell seems more believeable, less forced than Guy Flanagan's (still great) first version. The quality of acting has really improved, too, and I like the faster pacing of the first episode.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 57
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 5:22:32 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

It reminded me of the werewolves in Dog Soldiers and a bit of the Oz-wolf in the 'Phases' episode of Buffy (they changed the wolf's look after that. [/geek] ). I liked the eyes - they were really intense. The transformation itself was top of the pops - and even in An American Werewolf in London, the fully transformed wolf looks bollocks! I think it's the best we can expect on a television budget.

I re-watched the pilot episode earlier, and I have to say I am now more pleased than ever with the re-casting. Having the overall tone of the show as lighter than the pilot really works and Aidan Turner's Mitchell seems more believeable, less forced than Guy Flanagan's (still great) first version. The quality of acting has really improved, too, and I like the faster pacing of the first episode.

I knew exactly what you meant when I was reading that, LOL, anyways my Dad recorded this and I'm quite intrigued to watch it actaully, you guys seems to all like, if Shaunette likes it, then thats good enough for me.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 58
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 5:45:29 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

It reminded me of the werewolves in Dog Soldiers and a bit of the Oz-wolf in the 'Phases' episode of Buffy (they changed the wolf's look after that. [/geek] ).

I knew exactly what you meant when I was reading that, LOL, anyways my Dad recorded this and I'm quite intrigued to watch it actaully, you guys seems to all like, if Shaunette likes it, then thats good enough for me.

Buffy Geeks - UNITE!

I give this show my highest accolade - it's worthy of a Buffy fan's attention.
And Mitchell has replaced Spike as my quote/icon. That should give you a hint as to the extent of my new obsession...! Enjoy.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 59
RE: Being Human - 28/1/2009 7:08:19 PM   
DJ Satan

I'm a big Buffy fan and I give this show the big thumbs up. Definitely equal in quality to early Buffy with lots of potential. 

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Too Human Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI