Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Being Human

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Being Human Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Being Human - 18/2/2008 10:21:59 PM   
Fletcher

Anyone else catch this on BBC3 earlier. It was a piolt fora new drama about a Werewolf and Vampire who move into a flat which is haunted?

It looked like a comedy fromt he trails but actually appeared to be more like a very Britsih Buffy with a sub plot about a planned vampire takeover of the world. The script was also quite witty too. I especially like the libe the ghost made about her proposal

"he asked me to marry him on the radio, i said yes and they played Alison Moyet"

I hope it gets a proper series as i thought it looked very promising.

< Message edited by Peppermint -- 19/2/2008 5:02:49 PM >

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker
Post #: 1
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 1:14:48 PM   
Peppermint

It's called Being Human, I think

Yeah, I saw it and it wasn't bad.  The only thing I didn't like was the end bit with the Lauren Drake character, I don't know why the director told her it was acceptable to be as annoying as possible.

A bonus though is that the werewolf is played by one of the people that was in The History Boys

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 2
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 1:48:40 PM   
elab49

Mmm - a bit of a change from Rudge.

Some rough bits and one rather annoying person - but apart from that a dramatic improvement on the last pilot. It was also unexpected as the trailers seemed to be portraying it as a sitcom which it decidedly wasn't so that was a nice surprise.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 3
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 2:14:24 PM   
Peppermint

Who was it you found annoying elab49?

"What, again?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 3:04:25 PM   
discodave101

WTF? We're doing 'pilots' of shows in this country now are we? I thought that was quite a rarity. 

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 5
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 3:51:26 PM   
blackduck

Took a bit to get going. It was a bit "scripty" in parts but overall I thought it was really good. Hope it gets picked up as a series. I lke the way the warewolf guys character gets less meek the closer the full moon gets.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 6
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 4:23:22 PM   
elab49

I agree about Lauren being annoying - but, that said, I think that is the main misstep in the programe - the attempt to give it some kind of vamp story arc that doesn't sound dissimilar, frankly, to the mess that was Blade the series. Lester's character was completely unnecessary. But she was awful - swanning around with the most ridiculous dialogue. I hope she gets in that car and doesn't come back.

And did I miss where it was set? The great vampire comeback based in some backwater English seaside town? Think not. If they wanted an arc they could have let us get to know the characters first. But I thought it seemed out of place in what they presented - like trying to make 2 different shows at once.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 7
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 4:44:21 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I agree about Lauren being annoying - but, that said, I think that is the main misstep in the programe - the attempt to give it some kind of vamp story arc that doesn't sound dissimilar, frankly, to the mess that was Blade the series. Lester's character was completely unnecessary. But she was awful - swanning around with the most ridiculous dialogue. I hope she gets in that car and doesn't come back.

And did I miss where it was set? The great vampire comeback based in some backwater English seaside town? Think not. If they wanted an arc they could have let us get to know the characters first. But I thought it seemed out of place in what they presented - like trying to make 2 different shows at once.

The preview in the paper said it was supposed to be set in Cardiff as they commented as how Cardiff had become the unofficial capital of British Sci-Fi. However it seemd to me that the actual location is a big deal in this as there wasn't much use of Cardiff as a location and it could have been infact town or city in the country.

Also thanks for the correction peppermint, i obviously haven't being paying attention as i've been going aroyund for days calling it Too Human! Is there anyway you can change the title of the thread to Being Human?

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Being Human - 19/2/2008 4:58:20 PM   
elab49

Can you edit the title?

I hadn't realised it was Cardiff at all - I thought it was some little English seaside town!

< Message edited by Peppermint -- 19/2/2008 5:03:38 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 9
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 5:03:23 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fletcher

The preview in the paper said it was supposed to be set in Cardiff as they commented as how Cardiff had become the unofficial capital of British Sci-Fi. However it seemd to me that the actual location is a big deal in this as there wasn't much use of Cardiff as a location and it could have been infact town or city in the country.

Also thanks for the correction peppermint, i obviously haven't being paying attention as i've been going aroyund for days calling it Too Human! Is there anyway you can change the title of the thread to Being Human?

Um, why don't you just edit it?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 10
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 5:04:43 PM   
Peppermint

Well, I've done it now so there you go

"What, again?"

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 11
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 5:08:33 PM   
elab49

I'm really sorry if I did - but did I write something untoward in my last post? All I remember is what is in it?

quote:

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 12
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 5:08:49 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121
Um, why don't you just edit it?

Didn't realise i could. Besides i'm not the most technically astute person and probably would have crashed the server if i'd tried!

Anyway thanks for doing that Peppermint..

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 13
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 8:18:32 PM   
Newander

I saw this last night and thought it looked promising. Isn't it going to be a series then?

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 14
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 8:36:41 PM   
elab49

Not really sure how it works - apparently the first one will be a series even though it was terrible. I guess for some of the others they'll see the response first?

quote:

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 15
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 9:23:29 PM   
Mozza

That pisses me off no end-as much as I love Carl Weathers, Phoo Action was an incoherent mess.  This showed a lot of promise, and its been a long time since we had a supernatural drama with flair.

I just hope they make this a series, too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 9:34:25 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

quote:

Are you people BLIND?  It's set in Bristol, George woke up at the bloody Clifton Suspension bridge!

I LOVED this, god I hope it gets picked up as a series because the characters are great, it's well written, original, very compelling, and man do I now love Mitchell.

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 17
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 10:25:46 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

I'm really sorry if I did - but did I write something untoward in my last post? All I remember is what is in it?

No, you didn't and I should have explained that I was just editing replies for the main page after I was asked to edit the title of this thread by Fletcher, but after I did yours I decided I couldn't be arsed to do anymore of them

"What, again?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 11:12:32 PM   
elab49

Thanks for letting me know - I thought my memory had gotten worse than I thought!

quote:

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 19
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 11:15:50 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

quote:

Are you people BLIND?  It's set in Bristol, George woke up at the bloody Clifton Suspension bridge!

I LOVED this, god I hope it gets picked up as a series because the characters are great, it's well written, original, very compelling, and man do I now love Mitchell.

Sorry my knowledge of bridges is so crap

I take back the backwater then - but still - Bristol, centre of the international vamp conspiracy?!

quote:

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 20
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 11:18:28 PM   
Mozza

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

quote:

Sorry my knowledge of bridges is so crap

I take back the backwater then - but still - Bristol, centre of the international vamp conspiracy?!

No more mental than having Cardiff as the centre of a rift in space-time!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 11:29:32 PM   
elab49

Well in a way - yes.

Rifts can't help where they rip.

Vamps could just find the nearest train station.......

quote:

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 22
RE: Too Human - 19/2/2008 11:43:01 PM   
Mozza

Bristol's as good a place as any.  How do you know there isn't a large vampire population?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Too Human - 20/2/2008 9:18:02 AM   
elab49

Very true - mayhap that is why Blair junior went to uni there? (which pretty much exhausts my knowledge of Bristol).

quote:

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 24
RE: Too Human - 20/2/2008 9:56:26 AM   
kathryn2

This isn't the start of a new series? Just a pilot?

I'm dissapointed, as I really enjoyed it! Thought it was an interesting take on the subject, liked the characters - I've forgotten their names, but the Vampire guy had the whole 'too cool for school' thing down, and I liked how the werewolf guy seemed to be almost wagging his tail at times, like an excitable puppy. It amused me in places, but came across more like a drama than a comedy - and it definitely got dark when the werewolf guy was trapped with his ex.

I hate to say it, but it seemed to work far better than Torchwood does - I was interested in the characters and there was good story logic.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Too Human - 20/2/2008 10:18:28 AM   
Mozza

quote:

Very true - mayhap that is why Blair junior went to uni there? (which pretty much exhausts my knowledge of Bristol).

Are you saying the Blairs are vampires?

It would explain a lot.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: Too Human - 20/2/2008 11:34:55 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

quote:

Are you saying the Blairs are vampires?

It would explain a lot.

Well I'm sure there is an analogy in there somewhere about Cherie and Tone sucking the blood out the public purse, etc!

quote:

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 27
RE: Too Human - 20/2/2008 7:22:21 PM   
Mozza

In all seriousness, I think we can forgive issues about the setting in a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost in a house-share.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Too Human - 21/2/2008 1:02:48 PM   
BigKovacs

For the most part I liked it, the three main characters played off each other well and the premise could lead to some good situations. I had two main gripes, one was the script. It went from quietly funny (the Alison Moyet comment made me laugh too) to down right awful, particularly when the geeky werewolf pinned his ex's boyfriend and described ripping some ones throat out, the actor tried his best but it was just beyond ham! That lead onto the horribly stereotyped vampires complete with wardrobe off cuts from an Evanescence gig and dialogue straight from Buffy, the motion picture.

I hope they ditch the Vampire sub plot or at least narrow it down and concentrate on the three leads simply getting on.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 29
RE: Too Human - 21/2/2008 2:43:32 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I hope they ditch the Vampire sub plot or at least narrow it down and concentrate on the three leads simply getting on.

But that would just end up as a supernatural sit com, or maybe a supernatural soap opera, since there seemed to be angst than comedy.

I think shows like this need some kind of on-going story arc, to keep the momentum going and give the characters some interesting motivation. Plus, I was intrigued by the description of what the ghost saw after she died.....

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Being Human Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI